shape
carat
color
clarity

So I did a thing!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
So I have been watching Lab diamonds for months and have finally committed and commissioned this! Eek

The Oval is a 1.2 E Vs2 with 3.5mm baguettes

9C6E75B8-CD95-4853-839B-516154DB43A4.jpeg
ADA2C19D-1AD0-4E41-BE6B-BF9CCD5ABA86.jpeg

what does everyone think? Any advice for me based on the cad? I did have a thought today that the band under the diamond might cause a bow tie or dark spot but I wanted the wedding ring to sit flush! Is that something I should worry about?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! If you research halo threads here you will find most people prefer that the diamond sit lower in the halo and that the halo have a slight tilt.

The band is flush with the ER at the top, but not the bottom. I have a few stackers like this and find that the bands shift so that they can sit flush at the bottom leaving a gap at the top. If you don’t want this the rings should sit flush all the way around.

Your CAD doesn’t show mm. I’m used to CADs on a graph paper background so you can see all the measurements. I would request this of your CAD designer.

Proportions is a matter of preference. For me, I would want the band to be a little smaller or the halo to be a little bigger.
A59692E1-CE49-4FFA-A541-21CC2F4F8475.jpeg

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Pretty! If you research halo threads here you will find most people prefer that the diamond sit lower in the halo and that the halo have a slight tilt.

The band is flush with the ER at the top, but not the bottom. I have a few stackers like this and find that the bands shift so that they can sit flush at the bottom leaving a gap at the top. If you don’t want this the rings should sit flush all the way around.

Your CAD doesn’t show mm. I’m used to CADs on a graph paper background so you can see all the measurements. I would request this of your CAD designer.

Proportions is a matter of preference. For me, I would want the band to be a little smaller or the halo to be a little bigger.
A59692E1-CE49-4FFA-A541-21CC2F4F8475.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. I’m only getting the oval ring at the moment as I have not used this person before and want to see workmanship etc before I get more. It’s a bit of a risk but one I’m ok taking! The oval ring cad has all the measurements on it.
He did initially say that the wedding band would be .2mm thicker than oval ring (2mm v 1.8m) Which I was ok with but when he sent the cad with measurements he had taken the oval ring up to 2mm so that there would be no difference. I don’t think he updated the cad with both rings as I’m not getting the band yet. I had assumed that was just the cad but I will mention it so Thanks!

When you say ‘I would want the band to be a little smaller or the halo to be a little bigger’ do you mean the wedding band or the oval ring band? thanks for your feedback so far!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback. I’m only getting the oval ring at the moment as I have not used this person before and want to see workmanship etc before I get more. It’s a bit of a risk but one I’m ok taking! The oval ring cad has all the measurements on it.
He did initially say that the wedding band would be .2mm thicker than oval ring (2mm v 1.8m) Which I was ok with but when he sent the cad with measurements he had taken the oval ring up to 2mm so that there would be no difference. I don’t think he updated the cad with both rings as I’m not getting the band yet. I had assumed that was just the cad but I will mention it so Thanks!

When you say ‘I would want the band to be a little smaller or the halo to be a little bigger’ do you mean the wedding band or the oval ring band? thanks for your feedback so far!

That sounds good and explains why the band doesn’t have the mm.

Proportions are personal preference so do what feels right to you. It is so hard to judge from pics. To me, the ER has a dainty feel to it and the band has more oomph. I would ask him to bump up the size of the melee in the halo to 1.5mm and see how that looks. Or, you could go a tad smaller on the band so that it has less oomph compared to the ER. Does that make sense?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
It would be helpful to post some of your inspiration pictures so people know what your style/goal is with this project. Just looking at the images I think @kgizo made great suggestions. The flat halo isn’t my preference but it might be yours, that’s were some inspiration pics would help. Good luck with your project!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
That sounds good and explains why the band doesn’t have the mm.

Proportions are personal preference so do what feels right to you. It is so hard to judge from pics. To me, the ER has a dainty feel to it and the band has more oomph. I would ask him to bump up the size of the melee in the halo to 1.5mm and see how that looks. Or, you could go a tad smaller on the band so that it has less oomph compared to the ER. Does that make sense?

Ah yes I get you on the proportions! I actually want it that way! I like the look of the more substantial band and defo what a dainty halo. The band is 3mms So once I get the oval ring I will try it on with some bands to be sure I am happy with the overall look! That said the jeweller will probably kill me if I change from a 3mm as there was quite a bit of back and forth in order to make the oval ring worth with that band ha ha! Thanks for the feedback!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
It would be helpful to post some of your inspiration pictures so people know what your style/goal is with this project. Just looking at the images I think @kgizo made great suggestions. The flat halo isn’t my preference but it might be yours, that’s were some inspiration pics would help. Good luck with your project!

Hey 123, what do you mean about the flat halo? Sorry if that’s a silly question but I am new to this! I thought this was just a standard halo??

This kind of thing was my inspo but didn’t want pave on the band so wanted baguettes

AB88CE2D-DD9F-4E02-BE77-C2A17B42D430.jpeg
AC1BA88F-13E2-4BF1-BFE8-23DCAEEB47EE.jpeg

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
With the wedding band this was my inspo
9E6755B5-254D-4914-A388-82B6320C1053.jpeg
7C04B514-5691-481E-AA4C-1755BC7DEB24.jpeg

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hey 123, what do you mean about the flat halo? Sorry if that’s a silly question but I am new to this! I thought this was just a standard halo??

This kind of thing was my inspo but didn’t want pave on the band so wanted baguettes

AB88CE2D-DD9F-4E02-BE77-C2A17B42D430.jpeg
AC1BA88F-13E2-4BF1-BFE8-23DCAEEB47EE.jpeg

In your CAD the halo diamonds are set facing straight up, as if the entire top of the ring is on a flat plate. I like the diamonds to be tilted so that they are highest near the center diamond and the outside tilts slightly down (20-30 degree tilt). That’s just my preference. I also like more attention given to the area underneath the halo; I like a more cohesive look. There have been several threads about halo design — search for “halo tilt” to read through a bunch. Here’s a thread with a picture and discussion of what I mean:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
In your CAD the halo diamonds are set facing straight up, as if the entire top of the ring is on a flat plate. I like the diamonds to be tilted so that they are highest near the center diamond and the outside tilts slightly down (20-30 degree tilt). That’s just my preference. I also like more attention given to the area underneath the halo; I like a more cohesive look. There have been several threads about halo design — search for “halo tilt” to read through a bunch. Here’s a thread with a picture and discussion of what I mean:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/

Thanks 123 that was very helpful! On the halo inspo pics I posted would you say they are tilted or flat? Here’s another view. I like this one a lot so if that’s flat I’d be ok with it! I obviously don’t have the eye for these things as I had no idea ha ha!
2CD6A4EE-A1C5-4D15-AEFB-4C1B202A8587.jpeg

Attachments

• A60F6079-665C-43DC-BAFB-BC94A0AE4D86.jpeg
    A60F6079-665C-43DC-BAFB-BC94A0AE4D86.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 20

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a video of your first inspo ring moving:

It‘s a quick video but I think there is a slight tilt, and the diamond is definitely set much lower in the halo, like @kgizo mentioned in the first comment.

It seems like you are primarily concerned with the face-up appearance of the ring and these are details that make a difference when the ring is viewed at an angle. There are lots of rings made in the style of your current CAD. It’s all a matter of preference.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Here’s a video of your first inspo ring moving:

It‘s a quick video but I think there is a slight tilt, and the diamond is definitely set much lower in the halo, like @kgizo mentioned in the first comment.

It seems like you are primarily concerned with the face-up appearance of the ring and these are details that make a difference when the ring is viewed at an angle. There are lots of rings made in the style of your current CAD. It’s all a matter of preference.

123 Is there any chance you could
Post as pic of a ring in the style of my cad. Sorry to be a pain but I am struggling to visualise it and don’t know what to google for! I am worried now that I am making a mistake. Eek!

Ok for the diamond sitting lower. I just assumed that it was higher like that in the cad drawing and that it would be set down in the actual rings. A bit like how the prongs are quite big in the cad. Is that not the way it works? I have a lot to learn do sorry for all the questions! Plus I gave the go ahead on the cad today but I’m sure there is time to change things if I contact him ASAP!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
123 Is there any chance you could
Post as pic of a ring in the style of my cad. Sorry to be a pain but I am struggling to visualise it and don’t know what to google for! I am worried now that I am making a mistake. Eek!

Ok for the diamond sitting lower. I just assumed that it was higher like that in the cad drawing and that it would be set down in the actual rings. A bit like how the prongs are quite big in the cad. Is that not the way it works? I have a lot to learn do sorry for all the questions! Plus I gave the go ahead on the cad today but I’m sure there is time to change things if I contact him ASAP!

I would assume the ring will look like the CAD, but that’s something you can clarify with whoever is making it. No picture that I could post would be a more accurate representation of your ring than the CADs.

Edit: Originally I posted some pictures but I have deleted them because I’m not sure this is helpful. I think you should read the threads that have been recommended, take a look at various ring profiles, and get a handle on what your own preferences and tastes are. The CAD feedback you’ll get will be a lot more meaningful if you can tell people what your goal is.

Last edited:

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
123 thanks for the feedback I’ve gone back to the jeweller with my questions!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question -

Are the edges of the baguettes overhanging the metal at all? I'm just wondering if they might be at risk of being damaged from underneath if the band/diamonds/prongs rub on it :)

(Perhaps you might need a 1mm spacer band between the two!)

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Quick question -

Are the edges of the baguettes overhanging the metal at all? I'm just wondering if they might be at risk of being damaged from underneath if the band/diamonds/prongs rub on it :)

(Perhaps you might need a 1mm spacer band between the two!)

I don’t think so Oohshiny but I can look at this once i also get the band! I did think that also too though!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
The excitement, my ring was shipped a few days ago and has landed in my country! Now to wait for it to deliver! The last few days are the hardest knowing its only a few kilometers away!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
I collected my ring today and am so happy with it! It’s night time here so these are pics I just snapped in my house with bad lighting! I will get some better pictures tomorrow in day light!
The baguettes are daintier than I anticipated but if I kind of like that they done compete with the halo.

89A63B16-E745-455B-A21C-DD9BC6BBB4E4.jpeg CC507E2F-064F-4439-A3DE-B2F5564F6BAC.png

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous!!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Everyone, I am delighted with how it turned out as it was all done online with a vendor I had not used before, and I have limited knowledge of ring design/Cads etc and the questions to ask!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results