shape
carat
color
clarity

So how was your Valentines Day / weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I see there were some engagements across the board! Congrats! But what about everyone else? How was your day?

As for me and S, we had a lovely day. Didn't do too much (trying to save money right now) but we had a small lunch (some pizza) for and caught all of The Dark Knight on tv so we watched that. Then we left for an early dinner at Carino's Italian Grill. Which was great because we left just after 4pm to 'beat the crowd' and we sure did! Because everyone and their Grandmother came pouring in at 5!
2.gif

So we were eating a wonderful meal and talking. Then we ordered some desert. We wanted cheesecake but the waiter told us they only had turtle cheesecake. I told S that has nuts in it and we don't care for nuts that much. So we got bread pudding (which I don't much care for lol) anyway, we were eating when THE FIRE ALARM went off!!!!
23.gif
Good God it was so loud and I have sensitive ears. So I plugged my ears and S was cracking up watching everyone all around us. Lights were flashing, I felt like I was in a night club....There was no fire, which we all figured. Along with everyone else in the joint as nobody even got up to leave when the alarm was going. It was almost comical. Only in America would a fire alarm go off and everyone just ignores it.....
20.gif
including myself. ha!
9.gif
6.gif

We go to leave, the fire truck was parked in front of the car so we couldn't leave! It was pretty funny! We got a good kick out of it. I had a surprise event I wanted to take him to but the place was closed at that time.

After we could finally leave, we went to S's place. We exchanged cards and there were no gifts this year as we both agreed on that. Which is fine, just being with him is all that I really wanted anyway!!! It was a lovely time. Then we cuddled on the couch and went to Italy...Amalfi Coast, Portofino and Rome with Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel....hey, it's better than nothing! lol

Yesterday I took him to the surprise event which was a display thing of President Lincoln and Civil War artifacts. He LOVES this stuff and it was close to home and FREE!!!! He had no idea about it!!!! So we were there for almost 2 hours. He was so excited it was adorable! I just wanted to give him kisses all over!
Huge%20kiss.gif
He got to 'touch' actual Civil War clothing. Well, there were no signs that said 'don't touch' so we touched the stuff. lol So that was my Valentines weekend! No proposal, which I wasn't expecting..

ETA- I almost forgot the cutest thing...he put 10 little heart confetti's in my card to which he said was for "all 10 Valentines we've spent together" it was sooooooooo cute!!!!! And then he did say something about us getting older (I couldn't help but think about him saying that meaning...it's almost engagement time! Maybe?)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha... sounds like you and S had a good Vday... fire alarms and all!
1.gif

I worked in a restaurant for 5 years, and little kids pulled the fire alarms quite often. No one ever even started to motion towards the door. I guess if people don't see smoke, they just don't move.

The Civil War thing sounds fun!

J and I shopped around for a bit during the day, somehow managed to score a dinner reservation after calling 15+ places to look for availability. Then we hit up the "naughty" shop ( I KNOW TLH's ears just perked up!!) , got a
31.gif
game, and spent the rest of the night in.
12.gif
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you had a joyous time
27.gif
lol!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Awww DG and elle, sounds like you both had eventful and romantic v-days!

My BF and I went for a weekend getaway to Ottawa. On Saturday morning we woke up and did a workout in our hotel room (pushups, situps, squats, lunges, etc... get your mind out of the gutter ladies!). Then we went for breakfast, checked out ice sculptures, toured Parliament and walked around downtown. We went back to our hotel room where we rested for a bit and then had dinner at a yummy Italian restaurant. The only downside is that my BF ruined his dinner by eating too many gummy bears at the hotel! He made me walk back to the hotel (15mins) in -20C weather so he would feel less gross about eating all of those gummy bears. When we got back I was treated to an amazing full-body massage. The next day we slept in, had room-service breakfast and went skating on the Rideau Canal. It was a perfect weekend!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh that sounds sooooooo romantic sammy! I couldn''t help but laugh at the gummy bear situation....haha!
3.gif
That is so cute.. lol

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I love hearing all these stories.

We went to a nice restaurant, but our experience there was not so great. We had 9 pm reservations and they were really late seating us. They kept saying, 5 more minutes over and over. I was a little annoyed, they way overbooked the restaurant. They did comp us with a free drink and a gift card that covered basically the tip, but still.

I did get a little something''s from Tiffany''s :). Just a silver something. Nothing major. But this is the first time BF bought me jewelry. So I am happy about that.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:26:13 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I love hearing all these stories.

We went to a nice restaurant, but our experience there was not so great. We had 9 pm reservations and they were really late seating us. They kept saying, 5 more minutes over and over. I was a little annoyed, they way overbooked the restaurant. They did comp us with a free drink and a gift card that covered basically the tip, but still.

I did get a little something''s from Tiffany''s :). Just a silver something. Nothing major. But this is the first time BF bought me jewelry. So I am happy about that.
Lucky! FF has never bought me jewelry. The e-ring will be the first thing!

And he also said he wants to save to buy me an aquamarine necklace.
30.gif

What did he get you from Tiffs??
31.gif

On a side note about V-Day restaurant outings... did anyone catch a proposal at all? I told FF we should''ve made reservations in advance for a nicer restaurant so we''d be sure to catch one. I LOVE seeing proposals in restaurants. It gets me every time!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am sure if there was one I missed it being at got seated at 9:40 PM and the place was almost cleared out (I am sorry for whining about this).

I got these silver earrings from the that look like O's. I know they are supposed to be circles. They are very modern and cute.

ETA: an aqua necklace, that is work the wait...
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:33:57 PM
I got these silver earrings from the that look like O''s. I know they are supposed to be circles. They are very modern and cute.
I wanna see!!!!! I wonder if it''s like my Sevillana necklace, but then again, there are several designs in circles by Tiff''s.

Sorry about the waiting situation....that really stinks! I HATE that with a passion. I''m glad I went before the crowd. Even if it was an oddball time...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t see any proposals...

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
Everyone''s stories are great!

LtlFirecracker - How did you manage to get him to buy you jewerly? My BF hasn''t ever bought me jewerly... I ask for it ALL the time. His response is that it''s too expensive (which is crap in my opinion). I''d take anything!!! Even a silver little chain...

My valentine''s day was good. We stayed home and cuddled. However I was a little sad cause I realized that I won''t be getting engaged for a long time. I don''t know really know how to go about setting a time frame with him...
8.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:54:32 PM
Author: WistfulAurora

Everyone''s stories are great!

LtlFirecracker - How did you manage to get him to buy you jewerly? My BF hasn''t ever bought me jewerly... I ask for it ALL the time. His response is that it''s too expensive (which is crap in my opinion). I''d take anything!!! Even a silver little chain...

My valentine''s day was good. We stayed home and cuddled. However I was a little sad cause I realized that I won''t be getting engaged for a long time. I don''t know really know how to go about setting a time frame with him...
8.gif

Well, he usually does super practical gifts, and I got a little upset because I felt like he doesn''t do anything romantic. He told me he felt like he was trying to think of me and my life with all the practical gifts and thought that was more thoughtful. Last November I asked him if he can get me a blue book. When I go to Tiffany''s they are kind of snobby. When he goes, he gets treated really nice. He even got a hand written thank you note for buying a $100 dollar money clip. I have never gotten anything like that, so I figured he had a better chance of getting it than me. So he got me the blue book and handed it to me and a huge grin came on my face. He said he has never seen me so happy to get anything. I think that kind of made him realize, sometimes the most impractical gifts can make me happy. So I think he did this to show me he does listen to me and that he can be romantic. He had it hidden in his coat pocket, so I had no idea until he pulled it out. I wore them out to dinner.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:40:20 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Date: 2/16/2009 2:33:57 PM

I got these silver earrings from the that look like O's. I know they are supposed to be circles. They are very modern and cute.
I wanna see!!!!! I wonder if it's like my Sevillana necklace, but then again, there are several designs in circles by Tiff's.

Sorry about the waiting situation....that really stinks! I HATE that with a passion. I'm glad I went before the crowd. Even if it was an oddball time...

I think they are the Sevillana's. Here is the link.
Click here I will try to take some pics today or tomorrow.

WistfulAurora

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That is really helpful! I''m going to try a different approach...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait. He bought a $100 silver money clip from Tiffany''s for himself before he bought YOU anything?? That sounds backwards.

Practical things have their place but that place isn''t as a gift. Gifts should be things you wouldn''t get for yourself or things you''ve specifically mentioned, not tires or socks or a vacuum!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:12:57 PM
I think they are the Sevillana''s. Here is the link.
Oh they are so pretty, aren''t they? I''m actually wearing the Sevillana pendant TODAY! ha! I love it...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Are you? I am in sweats, so I have no jewelry on. But I will be wearing those earrings for a bit while out with BF. He was so disappointed yesterday when I had my diamond studs on. I am like, but they are my diamonds!!! He doesn''t care, he wants to see the new earrings. I can do that to make him happy.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
lol we were just discussing diamond studs last night. I told him "Maybe NEXT year if you get that new job, I might get my dream diamond earrings?"
31.gif

Yes, I am. And I haven''t worn it in a while because it doesn''t go well with some of my winter clothes (turtle necks mainly) as its closer to the neck. I wear it A LOT in the summer.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
well, there was no engagement, but honestly it couldnt have been a better day!
We started off with having to pick up E''s care at my parents so we got brunch at a wonderful deli and shared lox & cream cheese. YUM!
After we played musical chairs with the car, we went into wine county (aka Woodinville) and went to two winerys. One was the "cheaper" of the two, but after my parents schooling me on wine, i knew it wasnt my favorite. plus they no longer carry salmon jerky sticks. but of course after only 5 tastings i was a little tipsy
19.gif

The second winery is right across the street and its BEAUTIFUL which i cannot stress enough! plus, their wine "educators" pour 1/2 glass of wine instead of an ounce. E even got a full glass of one tasting because it was the bottom of the bottle. lucky guy!!! There we bought a couple bottles becuase they were SOOOO good.
after there we went kitty corner from there to the brewery and did a tour of the brewery. It was so great, becuase they basically bring you in a room, give you beer, look at a picture, give you another beer, look at another picture.
21.gif
needless to say, we were a bit MORE tipsy after that!
So instead of getting stuff to make dinner, we ate dinner there at the brewery which was fab, had more beer and then went home. thankfully home is only 5 minutes away and E did not consume nearly as much as i did
9.gif

Of course after such a big day, i passed out at 1030 :)

Sunday night i made engagement chicken and it was deeelish!
18.gif

We also went home/plant shopping, and i am obbessed with having a full garden on my tiny deck. I even bought tomato plants!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:20:56 PM
lol we were just discussing diamond studs last night. I told him ''Maybe NEXT year if you get that new job, I might get my dream diamond earrings?''
31.gif
You are so funny, Dreamgirl. Keep planting that seed
1.gif
! I went by a Carino''s today while running some errands, and I thought of you and your 4 pm dinner. I hate waiting at restaurants too! FI never seems to mind, but I get so grumpy, especially if I''m starving (which I usually am).

This is off-topic, but I wasn''t sure where to ask you--can you make my avatar sparkle like yours? I know you have amazing graphic design skills.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
everyone sounded like they had a good valentines day!

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
I love reading these stories! Dreamgirl, you crack me up
5.gif

K and I decided go the "thoughtful" route being that we''re both trying to save money. So to start, I woke him up with his favorite breakfast in bed...eggs benedict. It was my first time making the dish and I did it all from scratch
9.gif
It turned out fantastic (minus ruining half a dozen eggs and creating a mess in the kitchen
6.gif
) We exchanged super romantic cards and K gave me a beautiful bouquet of red roses and a big red balloon.

We were going to head to a park and have a picnic that K planned. He packed strawberries, wine and cheese(which was a total surprise!) he''s such a cutie! But since it was such a nice day out, we headed to the beach instead and had a late lunch at one of our favorite surfy type eatery''s.

Then we chilled at home and relaxed until dinner
12.gif
I made traditional cheese fondue since fondue is our Valentine''s tradition
18.gif
After stuffing ourselves, we cuddled on the couch and watched a movie we had rented earlier from Blockbuster.

I wish everyday was Valentine''s!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Everyone''s weekend''s sound so nice!

Mine was nice...we had to get up early to give his mom and step-dad a ride to the airport, but they took us out for breakfast so it was fun. We then went home and watched star wars all day, and that night we made fondue and lava cake, and had an awesome time being horrible cooks. And he brought me tulips, which are my absolute favorite flower. We didn''t do anything super amazing, but we had a great day.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I got up early and made K breakfast in bed and he gave me my gift, which were silpat mats that I had mentioned wanting.
1.gif
Then we cleaned the house and did our taxes. That evening we had a party with about 15 people which was fun.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:56:12 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Wait. He bought a $100 silver money clip from Tiffany''s for himself before he bought YOU anything?? That sounds backwards.

Practical things have their place but that place isn''t as a gift. Gifts should be things you wouldn''t get for yourself or things you''ve specifically mentioned, not tires or socks or a vacuum!

No, there is more the story. He used a gift card I gave him. He told me he wanted a money clip and the one I was going to buy him was sold out. So I got the gift card. That is why I was kind of upset they sent him the thank you letter. I technically bought it.

I agree, if I need something practical I will get it myself. He asks for practical things all the time. But that is what he wants. And at the end of the day it is about listening to what the other person wants so that you can make that person happy.

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
Well my Valentine''s Day went from to disastrous to better- but unfortunatley no proposal.

I had asked SO a week ago if we were buying presents this year and he said we would stick to cards as we are trying to save money. We''ve never really made a big fuss of Vday anyway. So on Feb 13th I got up for work and he was still half asleep and mumbled, "My mum and dad are coming over later to fit the loft ladder." I was like, "What loft ladder?" And he said, "The one I''m buying after work."

As he was still halfasleep he didn''t notice my facial expression which was reading, "I thought you were saving money and couldn''t buy me a present, why do we need a ******* loft ladder?!" Ha ha! Now ladies, do not judge me, I am usually very calm and do not often swear
1.gif

So I went to work and everytime someone asked what I was up to for Vday I answered, "He''s bought me a loft ladder." By the end of the day it did seem quite funny...

So we went with his parents to buy the *$%&!£* ladder (once again, forgive me ladies
17.gif
) I sulked around the shop and when we were in an aisle alone he said, "What''s up?" So I told him I felt a bit disppointed and he said, "Of course I''ve bought you something, It''s not a ring, but I''ve got you something."
So then I had the mixture of guilt for sulking like a little baby, disappointment as he HADN''T got me a ring, and a little bit of excitement that he had bought me something.

Anyway on Vday he came home with a HUGE card and a massive bouquet of lillies and roses which are gorgeous. I nearly had a heart attack when I opened my card as there was a slip of paper inside, I thought it was some sort of engagement thing (yes, I am obsessed!) It was a little book of coupons he had made for things like, One breakfast in bed, One night of tv of your choice, One cinema and meal of your choice. So they were nice.

The best bit though was when he looked at me and said, "You''re disappointed because I haven''t proposed aren''t you?" And through big teary eyes and shaky voice I''m like, "Proposed? I wasn''t even thinking about that!" Ha ha! THEN HE SAID!!!! "Well, I''m saving up, I''ll have enough in another two paydays."

WOOHOOO!!!!!! A timeline ladies!! At last!! So I''m hoping by May I should have a ring on my finger! And if he doesn''t then there will be toruble!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I was still quite sick so we stayed in all day, instead of me taking him out for a nice meal like we''d talked about maybe doing. I made one of his favourite dishes for dinner, had a special dessert, and he got me a little something--a cute card, some chocolates and a book from QI. We had agreed not to get gifts since we bought J a plane ticket so he can visit the US with me in April, so it was a nice little surprise.
1.gif

chocolatefudge, so happy for you that you have a time line!
36.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 7:49:18 PM
Author: kittybean
You are so funny, Dreamgirl. Keep planting that seed
1.gif
! I went by a Carino''s today while running some errands, and I thought of you and your 4 pm dinner. I hate waiting at restaurants too! FI never seems to mind, but I get so grumpy, especially if I''m starving (which I usually am).

This is off-topic, but I wasn''t sure where to ask you--can you make my avatar sparkle like yours? I know you have amazing graphic design skills.
haha! Everyone thinks I''m funny for some reason.....
smarty.gif
I''ll keep planting that seed. I promise
5.gif

I can certainly make your avatar sparkle like mine! Is that the photo you want to use?

nail_polish

Shiny_Rock

Aw, wow! Such cute stories :)

My weekend was sort of bitter sweet.
In hindsight, it went great. But in the moment there were some disappointments.

Okay, let''s see.. As I mentioned, my boyfriend planned a ''weekend full of surprises'' so, this is how it played out.

Friday night, my boyfriend called me on his way home from work and told me to get ready, we were going out for a pre-Valentine''s day celebration. He showed up with flowers (Valentine''s week day 5''s surprise) :) So pretty! He took me to the Keg and to the movies to see He''s Just Not That Into You, as I had been trying to see it since it came out with different people and plans kept falling through. It was very sweet.

Then, on Valentine''s day, we got ready and hit the road. He still wouldn''t tell me where we were going. However, he said we had to make a pit stop at his apartment since he forgot to bring his medication along for the weekend. So, we get to his apartment and he opens the door and our song is playing (a mix of the Savage Garden version and the Cascada version of Truly, Madly, Deeply that I made for us years ago) and the entire apartment is decorated with balloons and streamers. He even wrote I <3 U on the wall in streamers :) I cried, of course! And then was even more excited for whatever we were doing..

Then, I found out.. we were just staying in for the night. So, I was a bit disappointed. He wanted to watch a movie, but didn''t have a chance to go to rent it (he was sick all week) and he wanted to go for a walk, but told me to dress up so I was not in the proper attire for any of that, especially in the cold. In the end, we tried to go to a few places, but they closed before we got there. So, we went to Wal-Mart (is this better than Home Outfitters?) and bought a couple board games. We went home, cooked dinner (brownie points that he did get groceries to make our favorite meal together) and had a night in playing games.

Sunday, we had a big fight... Because he hyped up Valentine''s day to be more.. and it was disappointing. And because of gifts. Now, I am not very materialistic at all. We decided we were not exchanging gifts and would just do something. However, then he said he would plan the whole weekend so I got him a little something (valentine''s boxers and a pair of slippers). Amidst his decorated apartment, he had my card sitting underneath a mini teddy bear and a heart pillow - visibly from the dollar store - as well as a chocolate heart - also visibly from the dollar store. Now, yes, its the thought that counts - but if you were going to get me a teddy bear.. the dollar store?!

I don''t know if anyone gets what I''m saying but it was a little upsetting.. I rather nothing, than this. So, in the end, he went out to get something from the grocery store (we forgot an ingredient for the dinner we were making) and came home with Lindor chocolates and a gorgeous white fluffy teddy bear...

I wasn''t sure whether to be happy or feel as if he was trying to ''buy'' me back.. But it''s precious. However, we continued fighting and he left on a very bad note Sunday night. So bad that he tried to come back and I just went to sleep
14.gif

Anyway, Monday, is a statutory holiday here "Family Day" so he came back - with the intention to ''make up for the disappointments''. So, we went to Niagara Falls for the day :) Played in the arcade, did some mini putt, and walked around the falls :) Then, went for dinner and drove home singing along with the radio at the top of our lungs. It was tons of fun.

I love him, dearly and in the end, it was a fabulous weekend. I feel terrible for feeling ''disappointed'' and although it wasn''t a proposal - and I''m glad cause now I have another surprise coming between now and 51 days from now... I am happy with how it went.

Anyway, if anyone actually read this far - THANKS :) I feel like I just wrote a book!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:02:11 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 4:12:57 PM
I think they are the Sevillana''s. Here is the link.
Oh they are so pretty, aren''t they? I''m actually wearing the Sevillana pendant TODAY! ha! I love it...
NO WAY!!!! I have that necklace too dreamgirl
9.gif
its purdyyy....

ive been thinking id like a pair of tiffs earrings, just casual for everyday, so probably a stud....and i may just have been on their website earlier checking out the possibilities, like the sevillanas
31.gif

but perhaps i should save this for the LIW tiffs thread...?
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results