shape
carat
color
clarity

So confused!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new stone!! Like many others, I would have to drop color to gain size, and you got an E!! With a tall crown! That thing must just shoot your eyes out with fire! I love your setting too! Congrats!
:lickout:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure it’s not an H&A?

It’s beautiful! :love:
Yes, I’m sure, not a H&A :(
It does have a pattern, just not THAT pattern lol!
It’s sort of more like a kaleidoscope... only way I can explain... like it’s in “layers”. It had a nice ASET... just not in the “ideal/super ideal” appearance... but the various shades of red were there. (My jeweler uses the ASET for all diamonds, not just the AGS000 he has.)
It sort of falls under that description people used to use before the whole H&A thing came around where “diamonds are like snowflakes, everyone is unique”... which I suppose sounds like a cop out but had this been my original diamond when my husband proposed 30 years ago it would’ve been like this.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond and ring! I also have a E Si2 :love:
Thank you!... yes, good combo to get the E, given the SI2 was acceptable... there were others that were SI2 that my jeweler said we should eliminate (both E and other color grades).
Now I’m part of you “club” :)))

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love your new stone!! Like many others, I would have to drop color to gain size, and you got an E!! With a tall crown! That thing must just shoot your eyes out with fire! I love your setting too! Congrats!
:lickout:
Thank you! Yes, I’m loving the tall crown and small table. The only way I was able to get the E was because I still got a good trade in for my previous stone given its size. And I got $5,000 more in trade in after doing the recut which cost me with shipping $1500 so that worked out in my favor to take that step. The recut made it near ideal but it was hard for me to not keep seeing the things that bothered me about it for all those years. What’s so crazy is that recut only caused a loss of 11 points! Like why didn’t the original cutter just do it right??!!! It’s not like there wasn’t already the weight 3.29 and spready (60 or 61 table) already!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I think your new diamond is just beautiful! For those of us who were buying diamonds pre-internet and online vendor days, we were already behind the eight ball so to speak. I envy folks just starting out today with diamond buying to have so much information and knowledge regarding what they are buying. Some super ideal cut vendors have great trade in policies that it is hard not to recommend them on that point alone. Many know the frustration of bad/no trade in policies or being stuck with a lesser cut stone with no cost effective solution.

However, like so many others, you have found a way to capitalize on a great new stone that is probably cut far superior to what you had. The color and an eyeclean SI2 are just icing on the cake! GIA 3x does work on a broad basis but you've found a stone that falls within it that happens to be a great performer.

From this point forward, don't focus on the numbers. It is just a waste of time and very frustrating and to be honest, not worth your angst. You have a gorgeous, wearable size diamond that you chose from two. Don't doubt your decision - just enjoy your new diamond because it is gorgeous! Nothing feels worse than second guessing and in this case, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. It's beautiful and I am so glad you were able to make this one yours!
Thank you SO SO much! My jeweler had 5 stones to choose from and we had narrowed it down to those last 2. There was an EXCEPTIONAL AGS000 with insane performance and perfect ASET and H & A but it was graded as a G and it was a 2.11 carat but that G was in no way a G... trust me when I say that G was really an I. Extremely warm... and I’ve read here that AGS has slipped a little on color and clarity grading. My AGS/GG jeweler said he recently had an AGS000 that was graded a certain clarity (can’t recall) and my jeweler said he has no idea what the graders were thinking because he said the clarity was much more included than graded. So anyhow, since I had an I and it had begun to really bother me (funny since it had not for so long) I just felt I would regret the warmth even though the performance was out of this world. In retrospect, it may have been a J... it was that blatantly warm, even under those fabulous jeweler lights that make even the worst of diamonds look nice.
I agree, wish my diamond journey began after all the cut data had begun... the couples getting engaged today are fortunate (although paying quite a lot more for their first diamond than when I got engaged in 1989 - when I got my beautiful 1.01 marquise D, SI1 but gave it up for size (regrets).
This site is incredibly helpful but also can be torture if you realize your selection fell short or has idiosyncrasies!
Thanks for mentioning the mounting. I will have to post side views. I was never a fan of this style but this version from Cliq is great AND it works with my enlarged knuckle. Most comfortable and best fitting ring I’ve had. So this has all been really great!
Thanks for all your support!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So this is interesting (or you may already know that this happens!)... I just went on to the GIA Facetware tool and it says my Pavilion Depth is 42.9 (vs the 43 on lab report), Crown Height is 15.8 (vs. 16 on lab report), and Total Depth 62.7 (vs. 63). I read the whole thing about why the numbers may differ, etc., etc. (of which my eyes started to glaze over lol!). I didn't rerun those numbers into the HCA (because I think I've used up all my turns!) so would be interesting if that changes it in any manner. For the "brain", clearly 62.7 depth sounds SO MUCH (lol!) better than saying 63 ;-)
Since my eyes were glazing over as I read the "disclaimer" as to why the numbers differ so slightly on the cert than the facet ware, maybe someone here can explain it in easier terms???
Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably because GIA rounds everything - so I am guessing that you got the real numbers of the stone on that tool. Would need the crown angle and pavilion angle to run the HCA but if you post it, I'll be happy to check it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Probably because GIA rounds everything - so I am guessing that you got the real numbers of the stone on that tool. Would need the crown angle and pavilion angle to run the HCA but if you post it, I'll be happy to check it!
Thanks! As per report: CA 35, PA 40.8

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Dear headlight,
Your beautiful diamond is perfect. It’s what I am trying to find for my brother’s 45th wedding anniversary. The tiny 55 table and 50% star facets and high crown must make incredible fire. The little extra weight in your girdle (ahem) is just insurance against chips, flakes, and all the other things that happen when we bang our ring against the metal door frame in the office. Don’t ask me how I know. Whack, flake, despair, my ‘82 Lazare Kaplan is no more :knockout:.

Your diamond, however, is lust-worthy! Wear her in good health for many years.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Dear headlight,
Your beautiful diamond is perfect. It’s what I am trying to find for my brother’s 45th wedding anniversary. The tiny 55 table and 50% star facets and high crown must make incredible fire. The little extra weight in your girdle (ahem) is just insurance against chips, flakes, and all the other things that happen when we bang our ring against the metal door frame in the office. Don’t ask me how I know. Whack, flake, despair, my ‘82 Lazare Kaplan is no more :knockout:.

Your diamond, however, is lust-worthy! Wear her in good health for many years.
Oh WOW, that is SO nice of you to post all that! Yes, in lighting that is conducive to fire, the “show” is amazing... I didn’t know that was possible! As for the girdle, I had the same thought... that it gives me a little extra protection!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! As per report: CA 35, PA 40.8

Sorry - I should have remembered that was posted earlier - lol!

Anyway, the HCA still comes back 1.7 with only spread not getting excellent which is normal. Again, HCA is a rejection tool but with a score of 1.7, it would have certainly meant taking a closer look.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Sorry - I should have remembered that was posted earlier - lol!

Anyway, the HCA still comes back 1.7 with only spread not getting excellent which is normal. Again, HCA is a rejection tool but with a score of 1.7, it would have certainly meant taking a closer look.
Thanks for doing that! Did spread come up again as “Good”? (I would imagine so.)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Spread was very good.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? With the more refined Facetware #s the HCA gave spread a very good instead of just a good? If so, that's awesome! The ONLY caveat, of course, is which figures are the correct ones... the info on the Grading Report, or the info on the Facetware??!!! I guess that is what everyone else is wondering lol! Perhaps there are some impressions/insight into this question! Thanks for taking the time do that for me :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ARE YOU SERIOUS? With the more refined Facetware #s the HCA gave spread a very good instead of just a good? If so, that's awesome! The ONLY caveat, of course, is which figures are the correct ones... the info on the Grading Report, or the info on the Facetware??!!! I guess that is what everyone else is wondering lol! Perhaps there are some impressions/insight into this question! Thanks for taking the time do that for me :)

Again, I am assuming that the numbers are rounded on the grading report because of the way they are presented and because GIA rounds numbers. Maybe others can chime in on this as well.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
@headlight I hope you're not having second thoughts about your diamond. I mean, can you actually, visually, notice a problem with these measurements? Is the diamond not performing the way you expected and you're looking for an answer as to why by examining the specs so critically? I'm sure you knew the measurements before you bought it, so I'm not really sure what's bothering you here. No disrespect, but I'm just sensing you're looking for a reason to "jump ship" eventually and go on a whole new diamond hunt.
You mentioned you rejected the marquise diamond you were originally proposed to with, and now see the sentimental value of that stone and regret your decision to upgrade, to a stone, which it turns out you hated for many years while wearing it.
I'm just concerned that the the answer to your successive dissatisfactions does not lie in a diamond ring.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some people just need a little nudge to settle down and love their diamond.
It is a huge purchase and real easy to have second thoughts.
I do it myself. WOW I love this diamond but what if..what about...?
Which then becomes WOW I love this diamond.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight I hope you're not having second thoughts about your diamond. I mean, can you actually, visually, notice a problem with these measurements? Is the diamond not performing the way you expected and you're looking for an answer as to why by examining the specs so critically? I'm sure you knew the measurements before you bought it, so I'm not really sure what's bothering you here. No disrespect, but I'm just sensing you're looking for a reason to "jump ship" eventually and go on a whole new diamond hunt.
You mentioned you rejected the marquise diamond you were originally proposed to with, and now see the sentimental value of that stone and regret your decision to upgrade, to a stone, which it turns out you hated for many years while wearing it.
I'm just concerned that the the answer to your successive dissatisfactions does not lie in a diamond ring.
I was just re-reading this thread and saw your post. With regard to your question as to why I would be questioning... yes, I wasn’t certain about some of the elements but was overwhelmed. There were some other factors involved with regard to my trade-in and timing and I didn’t feel I could ask for other stones to be brought in.
But what really caught my eye in your post is your spot-on insight in the last sentence. Trust me, it’s crossed my mind.
No jumping ship... the ship has sailed and it’s my ring. I’ve run out of upgrades for one lifetime.
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your very introspective post, I appreciate it. I’m not going to forget it.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for taking my post in good spirit. I meant it in the most helpful, and not at all critical way. I have been in the same situation, and found myself floundering, when the issue was not the diamond, but something else entirely that was bugging me, and I just focused my energy in the wrong direction.
Beautiful diamonds make me so happy! But sometimes I ask more of them than they can deliver...and I have to make myself rethink my expectations. That's all I meant.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
....and I always look forward to your posts, and have learned a lot from you ! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results