shape
carat
color
clarity

So Confused! Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upstech

Rough_Rock
I have been looking around for about two weeks at local jewelry stores and have learned quite a bit. I had an idea of what I wanted unitl today. I was at Reeds and I noticed a Venus cut. I had been all about buying a loose stone unitl I saw this ring. The ones i had been looking at were nice and I liked them but I saw this ring and LOVED it. Its 1/2 carat in a platinium setting. I had never heard of them before and am a little skeptical. The claim it to be certified according to the paperwork as vs1 wih an I in color.
Please help

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Venus by Infinity. It's a branded H&A name. Paul Antwerp, the cutter, posts on the Forum from time to time. Very knowledgeable!! You can search past threads by Venus, Infinity, or find Paul by doing a Member search.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
There was a similar discussion in this thread

Getting a hearts and arrows stone is a good bet of getting a stone with a great cut and great light return. However, you can get a good-great cut without paying the premium for a brand-name hearts and arrows. It's up to you -- if you don't know much about evaluating a diamond's cut yourself, then it might be a safe bet and worth the extra $.

What was the price? Also, VS1 clarity costs more than VS2 or SI1, which are generally just as clean to the eye. I would rather get an H VS2 than an I VS1.

[Edited to add]

Since it seems that you are not talking about a H&A stone but some kind of modified cut, I would get a lot more information before making a decision. Color, clarity, and the claim of a certificate aren't enough.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I can assure you that there is absolutely NO connection between Paul's VENUS by Infinity, and the Venus cut diamond you saw in the store!!

Paul's VENUS by Infinity is a Super-Ideal cut standard 58 facet round, GIA graded diamond. The Reed Venus is an 81 facet stone, the grading lab. I'm not sure of.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thank You, Diamond Expert for pointing out Reeds in the original post!!
appl.gif

Paul Antwerp/Infinity cuts fantastic Venus diamonds. Reeds,......
rolleyes.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
It is tricky when things have the same name...thanks for pointing out the difference

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/14/2004 2:53:09 PM diane5006 wrote:

It is tricky when things have the same name...thanks for pointing out the difference----------------

Yeah, Patty. I thought the diamond was a Venus by Infinity sold at Reeds. I wonder if "manufacturers" count on name confusion to sell some diamonds for them.
nono.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Some of those highly faceted branded diamonds can be very pretty, but often the 'more facets' thing is use to justify some hidden weight, especially in the pavilion.
1.gif

upstech

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply's so far. I think it was Independent Gem (something) Lab. What else should I try to find out about it. Also my girl had said she wanted princess cut and I would also like to get some opinions on what you think I could get for around $3200 (that includes setting). i know she would prefer platinum but white gold is ok to. I'm a little unsure about buying something online but would appreciate any feedback that I can get. Also im in the Newport News, VA area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results