shape
carat
color
clarity

Sneak peek! My .55 ctw transitional cut earrings in vintage setting

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been working on this little project since February, and -- woo-hoo! -- it''s complete and on its way!

It all started when I fell in
30.gif
with the sweetest .27 J VS2 transitional cut on Erica and Grace''s website (Jewels by Erica Grace) which was on sale (so how could I resist)!

27ctTranny3ii.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The diamond arrived, and I loved it. I am the biggest fan of transitional cut stones -- the ones that have the very distinct "checkerboard" facet pattern like this one does.

At first I thought I would have a bezel-set ring made to wear on the days when my "tall halo" is just too fancy. But then I thought, gee, I just don't want to bezel this stone. And in the meantime I ordered my WF scattered band to wear on my left hand (and I wear my halo on the right hand).

So I decided I wanted earrings. But that meant I had to find another transitional cut with the same checkerboard pattern.

I e-mailed Erica and Grace. Grace said they didn't have anything in stock, but she'd let me know if anything showed up (they are so nice to work with by the way!).

I am a member of several other forums and through serendipity, I found that Uppy -- our very own Uppy! -- has, shall we say, a "surplus" of old cut diamonds. I sent her the photos from Grace, and Uppy found me a matching stone! She also found me some beautiful vintage settings.

I just got the photo of the finished earrings this morning, and an e-mail saying they are on their way!

I'm so excited! Ear shots to follow in a few days.

sjAxxx1.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I just adore warm, antique cut stones!!
36.gif

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
very cool story! Love them. I want to see them from all angles and on your ears! Super congrats
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh what darliings! I love the setting too!

nosirrah

Rough_Rock
very nice and cool story! great find.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Great story and very pretty earrings.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Amazing earrings! Love them! Your patience was well worth it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

And from one PSer to another, too
9.gif

Congrats Sara!! Can''t wait to see earshots!!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love those settings, those are great!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Oh Sara, those are too pretty!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Who did those stunning settings?
3.gif

What is it with us ladies and our earrings lately? I should have the pics of mine tommorow too.. I can''t wait to see them.
9.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
These were vintage settings that I''d been adoring at my jewelers for a long time. When Sara mentioned what she was looking for I thought of these immediately. My jeweler was happy to sell her the settings and set the stones for her!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
well hello there!! what stunning earrings!!

oooh - I like these a lot!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I adore that same look that transitionals throw and now think I need a pair of earrings just like these!!

even though I recently invested in my BDG bezel studs I have been looking at hexagonal and octagonal vintage style settings with the idea to get another pair made
27.gif

well done!! would love to see more pics

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Those are just lovely!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 5:38:45 PM
Author: Uppy
These were vintage settings that I'd been adoring at my jewelers for a long time. When Sara mentioned what she was looking for I thought of these immediately. My jeweler was happy to sell her the settings and set the stones for her!

Yes, heh-heh, I feel pretty good, too, about this "reverse enabling" because now Uppy does not have to buy these settings for herself!

This process was really fun. I e-mailed back and forth with Grace for a bit about settings -- she is a riot! -- and she suggested setting them in bezels. But I really wanted more of a vintage look. It was a total accident that I found Uppy because I was posting on another forum about finding a matching transitional cut on e-bay. At that point I was more concerned about finding another stone and I just assumed I'd have to have the settings custom made. So when Uppy told me she knew of some vintage settings that might be a perfect match and sent me the photo of these, I didn't hesitate. They're perfect and I can't wait to see them in person.

So, yes, yssie, it's so cool because it's another PS'er! Who better to lead me into the world of old cut diamonds?

Thanks for stopping by and for your compliments, Tuckins, Debby, Hest, nosirrah, tigian, yssie, Icom, Lone_Wolfe, and heliotrope
35.gif

I will be sure to post "ear shots" when they arrive. I'll probably have to have my husband's help with that, but he can just agree to be cooperative on this because they were my anniversary present.

ETA: And you're right, Lone_Wolfe, there is an earring frenzy going on right now on PS! Lot's of beauties out there. I'm still swooning over Hest's!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 6:46:52 PM
Author: sarap333

Date: 6/16/2010 5:38:45 PM
Author: Uppy
These were vintage settings that I''d been adoring at my jewelers for a long time. When Sara mentioned what she was looking for I thought of these immediately. My jeweler was happy to sell her the settings and set the stones for her!

Yes, heh-heh, I feel pretty good, too, about this ''reverse enabling'' because now Uppy does not have to buy these settings for herself!

This process was really fun. I e-mailed back and forth with Grace for a bit about settings -- she is a riot! -- and she suggested setting them in bezels. But I really wanted more of a vintage look. It was a total accident that I found Uppy because I was posting on another forum about finding a matching transitional cut on e-bay. At that point I was more concerned about finding another stone and I just assumed I''d have to have the settings custom made. So when Uppy told me she knew of some vintage settings that might be a perfect match and sent me the photo of these, I didn''t hesitate. They''re perfect and I can''t wait to see them in person.

So, yes, yssie, it''s so cool because it''s another PS''er! Who better to lead me into the world of old cut diamonds?

Thanks for stopping by and for your compliments, Tuckins, Debby, Hest, nosirrah, tigian, yssie, Icom, Lone_Wolfe, and heliotrope
35.gif

I will be sure to post ''ear shots'' when they arrive. I''ll probably have to have my husband''s help with that, but he can just agree to be cooperative on this because they were my anniversary present.
I sure hope Pricescope 2.0 has a noddy-head emotie!!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
And I''m so grateful for Sara adopting this pretty little stone!!! I have an uncontrollable need to find homes for unloved vintage diamonds.
17.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Sarap,
Love these earrings!!! Can we see modelling shots?

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
yay sara!
36.gif

great find. they look beautiful.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, I LOVE THEM!!!

Cant wait to see ear shots!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous earrings!!!!!!!!!!

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
very pretty.
2.gif

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 6:46:52 PM
Author: sarap333

ETA: And you''re right, Lone_Wolfe, there is an earring frenzy going on right now on PS! Lot''s of beauties out there. I''m still swooning over Hest''s!
I know. I still haven''t forgiven lknvrb4 and yssie for getting 8-prong studs and posting them here. It''s all thier fault that my new set is on order.
11.gif
.... You''re not helping either, you know....
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stones and the settings!

legra

Brilliant_Rock
They look beautiful! Can''t wait to see ear shots.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I think I've set a record for checking the tracking number for my delivery -- they're in transit and should be here soon
36.gif

So, DiaDiva, I promise to post real-life shots as soon as I get them.

Lone-Wolfe, I see your earrings have been delayed a bit -- I'm an impatient person, so it would be very hard for me to wait!

legra, catmom, oranges, princessplease, Dani, Milly, SparklyOEC -- thanks for your kind words!

Uppy, yes, I was so happy you had a little tranny in need of an adoptive home. You saved me from having to buy from an expensive ebay seller!

And to all the lovers of antique cut stones, I have to say this has been so much fun. And I am so glad to be a part of this Renaissance. With the price of gold so high, I do worry that more and more families are selling their treasures for scrap and I like to think that we are doing our part to keep these lovely pieces around for the enjoyment of future generations*

*said with the full knowledge that this may be a complete and total rationalization for my newest jewelry addiction!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And to all the lovers of antique cut stones, I have to say this has been so much fun. And I am so glad to be a part of this Renaissance. With the price of gold so high, I do worry that more and more families are selling their treasures for scrap and I like to think that we are doing our part to keep these lovely pieces around for the enjoyment of future generations*

My wonderful, darling FI snorted coffee all over his desk when I read this to him. Poor dear, obviously just overwhelmed with the sudden urge to help preserve antiques.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 7:34:19 PM
Author: yssie

My wonderful, darling FI snorted coffee all over his desk when I read this to him. Poor dear, obviously just overwhelmed with the sudden urge to help preserve antiques.

Oh, so he saw right through my rationalization, did he? Hmm, guess I'll have to think of something else to tell DH!
11.gif
12.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like you have had a great adventure with these earrings. I am excited to see what you will do for a background now that the snow is gone. You always do such wonderful pictures!

Wink

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 11:42:49 PM
Author: Wink
Sounds like you have had a great adventure with these earrings. I am excited to see what you will do for a background now that the snow is gone. You always do such wonderful pictures!

Wink

I did have a great adventure, Wink -- it was fun to work with Uppy and Erica and Grace (girls rock!). As for the photo shoot, well, given that I live in the upper Midwest, snow in June is not unheard of...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results