Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Small Purchases that Make me Happy (:

paragon1234

Rough_Rock
I had this boulder opal and wanted to make a wire wrapped pendant. I've never made jewellery before so this is my first attempt. I watched some YouTube videos for guidance. It's not fantastic - I didn't wrap enough wire around the frame so there are gaps and the bail is lopsided. I learned a lot so the next one will be much better.

Opal was 44 USD and wire probably £1. I used an existing silver chain.
IMG_20200523_105451__01.jpg

MissSarah

Shiny_Rock
I had this boulder opal and wanted to make a wire wrapped pendant. I've never made jewellery before so this is my first attempt. I watched some YouTube videos for guidance. It's not fantastic - I didn't wrap enough wire around the frame so there are gaps and the bail is lopsided. I learned a lot so the next one will be much better.

Opal was 44 USD and wire probably £1. I used an existing silver chain.
IMG_20200523_105451__01.jpg
I love this! I just ordered a boulder opal to try out wrapping on. How did you find the process? I've never tried it before, and am scared about possibly breaking the wire or the setting not being secure enough. Was it more fun or more frustrating?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heres pics of my little morning project: Solid gold danglies for my 18k flower hooks with teal and lavender grape chalcedony ❤

@Bluegemz took my love for the gemstone and amped it up to an obsession! Ive been looking for ready made pieces on etsy that incorporate fine made jewelry with the gemstones rough state but had a difficult time finding anything that felt perfect.

I came upon a huge parcel of tiny pieces that I won for a few dollars on ebay and picked these two beauties out of the lot.
They both have druzy that cannot be seen in the photos but that sparkle beautifully in the sun.

I wasnt sure how theyd look in gold since theyre so raw and organic in their state- but I truly love how they came out!

Ive been wearing them around the house all day (:

IMG_20200523_142043_701.jpg IMG_20200523_142043_700.jpg
Omg omg OMG, those are amazing!!! I love the ombré effect of those colors!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re Grape chalcedony, I’ve been wearing my pendant lots...and I’ve been thinking about getting a big chunk of it and making a light cuff bracelet with the chalcedony in the center. I love the pendant, and it would be great to have a piece to look at while wearing it!

paragon1234

Rough_Rock
I love this! I just ordered a boulder opal to try out wrapping on. How did you find the process? I've never tried it before, and am scared about possibly breaking the wire or the setting not being secure enough. Was it more fun or more frustrating?
It was quite fiddly. It didn't help that the opal is small. I would start with a big cheap stone first to try it out. Wire is cheap so buy lots.

I used 0.2mm fine silver wire to wrap and it did break once from metal fatigue. Next time I'll use 0.3 or 0.4mm. I used 0.8mm sterling silver for the cage and it's really strong so I'm not worried about the stone falling out. There are designs where the wire criss-crosses the front and back to make it more secure.

I found it really rewarding! Definitely give it a go.

Jimmianne

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paragon, good for you! You are an inspiration.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Heres pics of my little morning project: Solid gold danglies for my 18k flower hooks with teal and lavender grape chalcedony ❤

@Bluegemz took my love for the gemstone and amped it up to an obsession! Ive been looking for ready made pieces on etsy that incorporate fine made jewelry with the gemstones rough state but had a difficult time finding anything that felt perfect.

I came upon a huge parcel of tiny pieces that I won for a few dollars on ebay and picked these two beauties out of the lot.
They both have druzy that cannot be seen in the photos but that sparkle beautifully in the sun.

I wasnt sure how theyd look in gold since theyre so raw and organic in their state- but I truly love how they came out!

Ive been wearing them around the house all day (:

IMG_20200523_142043_701.jpg IMG_20200523_142043_700.jpg
These are so sweet and feminine! Your turquoise cab is gorgeous too - I love it’s asymmetrical shape!

MissSarah

Shiny_Rock
It was quite fiddly. It didn't help that the opal is small. I would start with a big cheap stone first to try it out. Wire is cheap so buy lots.

I used 0.2mm fine silver wire to wrap and it did break once from metal fatigue. Next time I'll use 0.3 or 0.4mm. I used 0.8mm sterling silver for the cage and it's really strong so I'm not worried about the stone falling out. There are designs where the wire criss-crosses the front and back to make it more secure.

I found it really rewarding! Definitely give it a go.
Thank you!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.