shape
carat
color
clarity

small paraiba tourmaline. thoughts?

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone---

I have been wanting to purchase a small RHR for myself, and I had been eyeing paraiba tourmalines after reading through the CS forum for quite some time now. My budget is quite modest, so I jumped to purchase a stone a few days ago before consulting anyone first, because I have not seen a similar deal on a paraiba of this size since I've started my search.

Could anyone please give me their feedback on this stone? Are there any glaring red flags you see in the video, or is it of reasonable quality for a starter paraiba? The shipment is on its way, but are there any important questions I should ask the vendor? I know it's not of the highest quality, but the color is pleasing to my untrained eyes, and I do not seem to mind the inclusions that I see in the video. However, I am a novice in the world of colored stones, so I welcome your expert opinions and any advice you may have.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4853

Thank you all!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your intention for the stone? You may not mind the inclusions but extra care will be required when setting the stone and wearing it. It is also flat topped so it will not have much sparkle but these stones are more about the glow in the first place. I would wait to receive it and then decide.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the price it seems to have a beautiful colour. Whether it has 'the glow', you can only judge in real life. I have two Paraibas and in both cases the stones were much more beautiful in real life.

In the video there seems to be something going on at the girdle. It's not visible in the vendor pic, only in the video. Because of this, the stone looks a bit assymetrical. Ask Adam about it. He is a very nice, honest and trustworthy guy.

Another thing to check is whether the inclusions are not a threat to the integrity of the stone.
My faceted Paraiba (from Leon Mege) is full of inclusions, but it does not take away from the beauty at all.

Hopefully the experts chime in soon as I am in no way an expert in colored stones.

I hope you love it when you see it. Looking forward to see your own pics.

_1370.jpeg

_1372.jpeg

_1373.jpeg

_1374.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom,
Given the rarity of the stone type and inclusions, my guess is that "nick" in the girdle is a natural.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1451937467|3970565 said:
Acinom,
Given the rarity of the stone type and inclusions, my guess is that "nick" in the girdle is a natural.

Aha! Thanks Chrono! Would it have to be bezeled because of that or doesn't the natural make the girdle more vulnerable?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disadvantages of a bezel for this particular stone:
1. Enhances the off-roundness
2. Not sure which bench is willing to risk bezeling a stone with this clarity. Bezeling requires hammering a thin lip of metal around the girdle, and the risk of the stone being damaged is greater when it is inclusion challenged.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for your swift replies!

I was intending to put this in a small RHR that I would not use for daily wear. I did notice that 'nick' in the girdle during the video but wasn't sure what to make of it. I will be sure to email Adam and ask him for his input on the integrity of this stone.

I actually was interested in a bezel setting for this stone but am definitely not married to the idea, especially if it will be too risky.

Thank you again, I will update you all when I am in receipt of the stone. Any more input in the meantime would be much appreciated. :)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You may want to jump on getting the stone examined by your jeweler(s) within the first few days of the 7 day return period. So that you know whether a jeweler will set it for you or not. And so that you can return the stone if you cannot use it for its intended purpose. I am no expert but, like Chrono - who is a CS expert, I wonder whether a bench will be concerned about setting it for you. It looks like it may have a great glow to it - but I am worried about setting it. Good luck with it.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, caf. I do agree that I should perhaps have someone with trained eyes evaluate the stone in person, though I was interested in using an online vendor for its setting.

If anyone knows of a reliable jeweler near San Diego, that would be great :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony|1451939628|3970595 said:
Thank you, caf. I do agree that I should perhaps have someone with trained eyes evaluate the stone in person, though I was interested in using an online vendor for its setting.

If anyone knows of a reliable jeweler near San Diego, that would be great :)

Aww, San Diego--I used to live there and loved it :) I just wanted to chime in and say it looks like a gorgeous stone, but definitely ask about the inclusions/off-center stuff to make sure it doesn't affect durability in a negative way. I've also found Adam to be very trustworthy and helpful so definitely don't hesitate to ask him any questions you have. I know that Gemfix is in San Diego and have a great reputation, but I don't know if they set outside stones.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi lovedogs, thank you for the suggestion about Gemfix :wavey: I might try giving them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

As an update, Adam has assured me that stability of the stone is 'excellent', and that it is safe for prong or bezel, though he recommends using prongs.

More updates to come when I have the stone in hand :)

S

SparkliesLuver

I think the others have covered your questions, so I just wanted to say I can't wait to see your pictures and hear your thoughts. Exciting! :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where the natural is, I would have some setting concerns. If its a stone you're going for, do have it looked at by a competent bench before setting.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I received the shipment just now, and the small box inside the Fedex box included the invoice, appraisal document, and packing peanuts. No stone was included in the box. There seems to be no evidence of tampering on the outer Fedex box.

Is it normal to receive the stone separately? I am in a small state of panic at the moment. ;(

I've tried reaching the company by phone, but their line is temporarily disconnected. I am awaiting an email response from Adam.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Nevermind, Adam said it accidentally got shipped in 2 boxes like they would for an international shipment. Whew!

I will receive the stone tomorrow.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1451997697|3970924 said:
I think the others have covered your questions, so I just wanted to say I can't wait to see your pictures and hear your thoughts. Exciting! :appl:

Thank you, SparkliesLuver! Your beautiful ring is one of the many on this forum that inspired me to get a paraiba.

Arcadian said:
Where the natural is, I would have some setting concerns. If its a stone you're going for, do have it looked at by a competent bench before setting.

Thank you for your concern, Arcadian :) I will take it to the Jewelers Exchange building in San Diego to have my stone looked at by a few of the jewelers there, per Gemfix's recommendation. However, if anyone knows of a specific jeweler to go to, I welcome any suggestions.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting to find a nice sized affordable paraiba! Looking forward to see another one here on PS.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you very much for the kind words about my ring. :) It means a lot that it inspired you to find a paraiba of your own! Do you have an anticipated arrival date?

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
lilmosun|1452226861|3972460 said:
So exciting to find a nice sized affordable paraiba! Looking forward to see another one here on PS.

Thank you, lilmosun! :wavey:

Well, the stone has arrived, and the color is beautiful. I am still concerned about the nick on the girdle, because under the loupe it does look like there is a small crack extending below it. However with my lack of experience, I could be mistaken. I am taking it into a store in a few hours to have them evaluate the stone.

In the meantime, here are some pics :)

outdoors_cloudyskies2.jpg

indoors_4.jpg

handshot_outside.jpg

loupe.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks nicer than on PI's webpage!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh!!! It has the glow! I love it even more based on your pics.
Good idea to take the stone to a jeweller to have it evaluated. Hopefully the stone has no issues. It's gorgeous!

If you decide to keep it: please select a jeweller who has a lot of experience with setting colored stones as they are more vulnerable compared to diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so gorgeous! It is definitely even nicer than it looked like online! How do you feel about it thus far?

S

SparkliesLuver

L-O-V-E it! :love: It does look a lot better in your photos. What are your thoughts?

I look forward to hearing what the jeweler says. <fingers crossed>

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
It looks nicer than on PI's webpage!
Acinom said:
Oooooh!!! It has the glow! I love it even more based on your pics.
Good idea to take the stone to a jeweller to have it evaluated. Hopefully the stone has no issues. It's gorgeous!

If you decide to keep it: please select a jeweller who has a lot of experience with setting colored stones as they are more vulnerable compared to diamonds.
lovedogs said:
Wow, so gorgeous! It is definitely even nicer than it looked like online! How do you feel about it thus far?
SparkliesLuver said:
L-O-V-E it! :love: It does look a lot better in your photos. What are your thoughts?

I look forward to hearing what the jeweler says. <fingers crossed>

Thank you all for your kind words!

I am completely smitten with the stone, and I do agree that it looks better than expected from looking at the vendor pics. The color took my breath away.

I am trying really hard not to get my hopes up too high, however, in case I get some disappointing news from the local jewelers.

I will keep you all posted!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony: I have to say that I would not have given it a second thought based on the vendor's pics, but I am so elated that you chanced it, because that stone is beautiful! The glow was just not there in the vendor photos, but wow, does that fellow look nuclear!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1452288096|3972862 said:
blushpeony: I have to say that I would not have given it a second thought based on the vendor's pics, but I am so elated that you chanced it, because that stone is beautiful! The glow was just not there in the vendor photos, but wow, does that fellow look nuclear!

Thank you, minousbijoux! I was pleasantly surprised by the color as well. :)

As an update, I have taken the stone to two highly rated jewelers who have experience setting colored stones, and both of them stated that I should have no problems setting it. The one that I will most likely use said that he will make sure his most experienced bench jeweler will be the one to set the stone, as it might require a little extra care.

Now the fun part will be to find a setting for my stone! :dance:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone. Love it. Keep us posted.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
That is wonderful news for you. How nice to have such a lovely surprise when you opened that box. It is phenomenal. I certainly hope I have the opportunity to scoop a nice one someday. Will you eventually reveal the name of the jeweler who will set your stone for you ? The reason I ask is that I too am in southern California and have a stone that needs setting but I have no known jeweler that I can trust to do the job. I am so thrilled for you !

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jealous!! I would love a bluish paraiba with that glow and decent size. I was going to post earlier that it seems to me from PS photos that paraiba's from Paraiba International are much better IRL than their site. Glad it was the case for you!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful! :love: Glad it meets expectation. Hopefully you won't have any problems with setting (keeping my fingers crossed for you!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results