shape
carat
color
clarity

Small budget needs big help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
I feel a little overwhelmed on this forum. Most people seem to be dropping 10-15G''s on a ring...Well, I''ve got 2000 hard earned bones (EBay sales, overtime hours, saved pennies) to make this engagement ring work, so here is my story to date...

I was originally gunning for a Tiffany ring (the classic Tiffany setting). I figured you can''t really go wrong with a ring from Tiffany''s. I also have been unable to find any settings that compare to Tiffany’s. Knowing that 2000 dollars would buy me a very small stone wasn’t a big problem, my future wife is very small (5''4) and works in a profession (nursing) where a big stone wouldn''t be practical (THANK GAWD), she doesn’t wear a lot of jewelry either and would rather have food on the table when we get married than a ton of ice on her finger. She''s also the furthest woman from Paris Hilton you could ever meet. Now that you have a little background info lets move on...

I prefer quality to quantity, in those respects this website has been a huge help. I''ve learned more about diamonds than I ever knew existed. I love researching and approaching purchases with an army of information. This being said I never really saw the point in trying to maximize my 2000 dollars into a slightly larger stone that wouldn’t be very big anyways. This is when I started thinking in a different direction...

I know it''s not very practical, I know most probably can''t tell a difference. But how symbolic and meaningful would it be for me to give my FW an absolutely flawless stone, the best I could offer her, small but perfect. After some preliminary searches I’ve found many colorless and internally flawless stones (in the .3-.4 range) that seem to fit into my price range (and allow room for a setting). I know that the quality of a stone doesn''t end with color and clarity, it''s more the symbolism that I''m after. I’ve talked enough with my FW about an engagement ring to be convinced that the size of the stone doesn’t matter (as long as it’s visible…he he).

To wrap things up, I’m thinking that the most meaningful engagement ring I could give my FW is one with a small, but flawless stone. A stone that is smaller, but of higher quality than the millions of other engagement rings floating around.

So…what do you think…Any suggestions? Are the internet prices on this site the best I''m going to find? Any help offered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping out the little guy…

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
D IF super-ideal cut diamond under 2000 interesting.
A lot of them would go to the Asian market rather than the US market.
Id stick with the internet vendors and see what they can find.
Id start with:
www.goodoldgold.com

He has the most sources for super-ideals than most other PS vendors.

Some others would be:

www.diamondexpert.com

www.winkjones.com

www.whiteflash.com

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello!
I like your idea of a flawless smaller stone....

Coming from a family of nurses, I also think a diamond eternity ring would be very sweet as well (all the nurses in my family wear a variation of this style) for it is practical and classic (think Audrey Hepburn's engagement eternity ring, Marylin Monroe’s ring from Joe DiMaggio)...Also, many are of very good quality!

There are lots of ideas, some even from Tiffany:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/group.aspx?c_id=WEB1&c_it=GRP0109&start_id=6&CategoryId=471&category=Diamonds&

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/group.aspx?c_id=WEB1&c_it=GRP0008&start_id=21&CategoryId=471&category=Diamonds&

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/group.aspx?c_id=WEB1&c_it=GRP0129&start_id=26&CategoryId=471&category=Diamonds&

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/wedding/forHer/

Anyway, the eternity ring idea was just a thought...and remember that any ring you buy for her will be symbolic and meaningful....
2.gif

Good luck and congrats!

Joane

Rough_Rock
Love the concept! This is the route I took with a limited budget and I get enjoyment every day knowing I''m wearing a very respectable ring, though it''s small by some standards. Best of luck!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, don''t feel overwhelmed. I know it can be intimidating, seeing and hearing about all the other diamonds! Whew! But you have to put things in perspective. A lot of the diamonds people are talking about here are upgrades, and many of them started out with smaller diamonds way back in the beginning, too. Some people actually never want big diamonds, even if they start out with small ones!

I think your idea of offering perfection over size is sweet. That''s something I''d go for in a big way! You can still get a very nice diamond within your budget. I''ve worked with WF, and their top of the line stones are the A Cut Above ideal diamonds. I did a quick search and found one that is .48 carats, G color, and VS clarity that should be totally eye clean. I don''t think you need to go with a flawless diamond, but that''s just my opinion. Anything in the VVS to VS range is going to look flawless. I also think that anything that''s at least a G or H color will look colorless, too. I''ll try to link to a nice stone from WF for you to conisder.link

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a great site and the rings are just beautiful!!!!

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
I love this idea! You will find pages of stones that fit your perameters in Whiteflash''s Expert Selection section. I haven''t looked at their ACA diamonds, but there may be a few there too.

EZ

Rough_Rock
There is an $80 tiffany like setting from Whiteflash but I cannot find the link now. It was gold and may be out of stock. Given that and your base budget of $2K Here are a couple of links you can look at:

.041 E VVS1 IC http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?
pid=LD00430596&filter_id=0&sec=&query=20&page=&sortby=size-d

.042 D VVS2 IC http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00430596&filter_id=0&sec=&query=20&page=&sortby=size-d

.58 F VS1 Eighternity http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia13466906/index.htm (Call to see if it's in your $$ range)

.39 D VVS2 ACA http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1358315.htm
.51 F VS2 ES http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-798813.htm

.44 F VVS1 H&A http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_44ct_f_vvs1_h%26a.htm

.37 D VVS2 Superbcert http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/56.html

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I think your idea is very sweet. My mother says that when buying a gift, the thing to do is often to buy the "best" of something small. Your engagement ring search seems to jive with this philosophy.

I would encourage you to save enough of your budget to get a setting that is very well made and sits low on the finger (because of your girlfriend''s profession). The Vatché x-prong comes to mind as a possibility. Either a full or semi bezel would also be ideal.

Platinum would probably be cost prohibitive in your situation, so you might consider gold or white gold. And I like the idea of getting an eternity band. If you go that route, make very sure that you know her exact ring size, though!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I love that last one and think it would be lovely! It''s nice and low, so that will suit a nurse just fine. Good luck!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Matatora's post reminded me of something. I have a friend whose fiance proposed with two small and thin (and lovely!) eternity bands. Her wedding band was a plain platinum band that she wore in the middle of the two eternity bands. It looked really cool and sophisticated. That might be a good option as well - and very nice for a nurse!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m starting to agree with the people who are suggesting a band type of ring, since she''s a nurse. I am a nurse, too, and even though I haven''t been working for the past few years, when I was working in the hospital, jewelry tended to get in the way. I pretty much only wore my plain gold wedding band to work, and a small diamond band ring on my right hand. Rings with settings that are high tend to get snagged on goves, equipment, and even patients sometimes, and that''s NOT a good thing
38.gif
! With a $2000 budget, you could afford a VERY VERY nice eternity band, 3 stone, or 5 stone ring! I love diamond band rings, anyway. I think that they look extrememly classy and elegant! I have a 1.8 carat channet set eternity band, a 5 row channel set half eternity wide gold band, and a 1 carat 5 stone diamond band ring and I love and wear them all frequently! As a matter of fact, I usually wear one of the channel set bands as my wedding band every day with my solitaire, and the 5 stone ring on my right hand.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, i like the eterntiy band idea too. of course, i'm a little bias
31.gif
here's a pic of mine from Whiteflash you could always do the eternity band now. and save up a bit more and get a stone for an aniversary, IF she would be ok with that. If she wants a solitaire, than definitely go with that.

5yrgiftwf1.jpg

whereisantwerp

Rough_Rock
I understand the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into that $2000. I just received my fiance''s engagement ring from Bluenile a few weeks ago, incredible $2300. Check out the link below, give them a call their sales people are great as well, they were very patient with me even knowing my budget. I reccomend their signature diamonds because they guarantee the SI''s are eyeclean. And my independent appraiser was unable to see the difference between my "G" and an "F". Good luck.

http://www.bluenile.com/design.asp?add=1&filter_id=1&piderror=&set_shape=RD&style=4782

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. At this point I have sent out an email to her best friend with some questions in order to collect more information. After a response I plan to procede in my search. Thanks again for the time and energy put into each response...I''ve only got 3 more weeks before this whole thing goes down, I''m getting excited :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of something different as well...like a 5 stone ring or something similar. You don''t necessarily have to go super traditional with a rock and tiffany setting. My Mom''s wedding ring is a 1ctw 5 stone ring that she adores and it looks spectacular on her. I obviously didn''t get my ''love big'' gene from her, she''s not a jewelry person at all.

I think a 5 stone or similar for the e-ring and paired with 2 super thin eternity bands at wedding time would be awesome. I tried on a 10 stone flanked by 2 thin eternity rings recently and loved the look. It covered a good amount of finger but was it laid close to the hand etc and it definitely stood out.

Good luck!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Good move involving the best friend. Keep us posted on what her friend tells you and we will try to help you out :)

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
So I got a response from the best friend...

essentially she told me that my FW has never been a woman wrapped in name brands, and that knowing I''m the kind of person that researches the hell out of anything I spend money on would make her appreciate a "researched" ring more than a Tiffany.

This came as a great relief as the more I learn off this site, the sicker I began to feel about overpaying for a Tiffany. Currently I''m waiting for a price quote from GOG on a .4 carat Solasfera. After becoming more familar with the lightscope images I''m finding it hard to look at other stones. I have no idea what the price premium on this branded cut is, I''m just hoping it''s in my ballpark.

Anyone with knowledge of Solasfera price parameters?

I''m ready to get the ball rollin!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2005 12:44:25 AM
Author: thelittleguy

... my FW has never been a woman wrapped in name brands.

Anyone with knowledge of Solasfera price parameters?
Ok, so Solasfera is a brand ! And I suspect it carries a premium over the H&A ideals. In different shops this might mean different things.

D-F, VVS-VS1 sounds like a great idea, btw. Best of luck!

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
OK OK, yes so Solasfera is a brand name, but that''s not what is attractive...it''s the fact that their diamonds are cut to maximize light return and the lightscope images of their stones absolutely annihilate anything else I''ve seen...I''ll have a better idea if they''re worth it when I get some prices...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure you like the look of a solasfera...doesn''t it have more facets? i have seen other additional facet stones and end up not being hugely jazzed on how they sparkle. it''s a bit like a radiant IMO. it''s beautiful but it''s not FOR ME. but i know some people do love them. so just make sure you see one in person to figure out if it is for you. good luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2005 7:08:28 PM
OK OK, yes so Solasfera is a brand name, but that''s not what is attractive...it''s the fact that their diamonds are cut to maximize light return and the lightscope images of their stones absolutely annihilate anything else I''ve seen...I''ll have a better idea if they''re worth it when I get some prices...
how do the lightscope images annihilate anything else you''ve seen? in what respect?

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
Compared to other H+A of similar color and clarity, the Solasfera lightscope show''s absolutely no light leakage with dark reds and blacks, something I havnt seen on other H+A...then again, I''m far-far-far from a diamond expert, so maybe I''m simply talking out my ass...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe....it happens to the best of us!

you may very well be surprised what a nice h&a can do...as a solasfera is h&a multiplied!
2.gif

the larger number of facets in the solasfera are usually better appreciated in stones above 1.5cts. i would encourage you to compare one with an ideal h&a before you decide.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2005 7:30:41 PM

Solasfera lightscope show's absolutely no light leakage with dark reds and blacks, something I havnt seen on other H+A...
it happens. I don't know what that matters. The point is... a somewhat different cut might well make the point between two diamonds - one 'traditional' and one a bit different. If you feel good about it, it is your call.
1.gif

GoodOldGold already has a pretty good presentation of these cuts side by side with H&A - a bit on the enthusiastic side, but you can also take a look on the evidence and judge for yourself.

IMO,none of these tools is the ultimate judge in itself for what that matters, and either H&A or a branded cut with optimal proportions would do just great.

Btw, this is pretty much all red & black:

IS_GIA-13466390.jpg

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Does she definately want a diamond or would a beautiful colored stone fit the bill? Not all women want a diamond- I was one of them when I got engaged. I had- and still have a passion for sapphires of all colors. I told my hubby back then that given our budget I didn''t want a diamond we could afford (would have been tiny and UGLY) So, I ended up with a beautiful sapphire wedding set. Now, I admit we eventually upgraded, but then we could afford a better quality stone. Just a thought -being a colored gem stone nut. Otherwise, getting the best quality over size is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results