shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeping with pearl dangle earrings?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I recently received a gorgeous pair of 7.5mm freshwater pearl and citrine dangle earrings. I understand that it's not advisable to sleep or shower with pearls due to the silk strings being rather delicate. Does the same apply to 14K gold pearl earrings?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Shower products like shampoo or soap are also a concern. If they’re comfortable, you could sleep in them, but I’d avoid getting bath products on them. Sometimes I can’t even sleep in my studs so I think comfort would be the limiting factor!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Shower products like shampoo or soap are also a concern. If they’re comfortable, you could sleep in them, but I’d avoid getting bath products on them. Sometimes I can’t even sleep in my studs so I think comfort would be the limiting factor!

Thanks! They're quite comfortable. My only concern was in damaging the pearls. They're my first pearls so I wasn't sure how delicate the pearls themselves would be. I'll definitely remove them before showering etc. Thank you again!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pearls should not be exposed to chemicals. Activities like showering in pearls should definitely be avoided due to chemicals in the shampoo and soaps etc.

You should never allow your pearls to be put in an ultrasonic cleaner

pearls should be the last items put on to wear, after all makeup, hairspray, etc.

Then they should be the first items off when you are done. Wipe them down with a soft dry microfiber cloth to remove oils etc and then store them in a non-airtight location

This will help keep your pearls looking great for a long time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The biggest risk would be losing one down the drain as you wash your hair or whatever

Reactions: KLC

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently received a gorgeous pair of 7.5mm freshwater pearl and citrine dangle earrings. I understand that it's not advisable to sleep or shower with pearls due to the silk strings being rather delicate. Does the same apply to 14K gold pearl earrings?

May we see them please ? =)2

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not sleep in pearl earrings. They are soft, and over time the surface may be abraded by rubbing against the pillow.

I wouldn't shower in pearl earrings either, not only because of the chemicals in water and hair and bath products, but also because the minerals present in hard water can combine with soaps to form scum.

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There is a risk of scratching the pearls, and the risk of the earrings getting caught on a pillowcase.

Although they should be fine to sleep with from time to time, I would advise that you take them off at night before you remove your make-up (make up remover can damage them) and put them back on after you finish showering and have finished putting on your potions and lotions and perfume.

Enjoy, they are beautiful!

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous earrings! Yeah I never sleep with any jewellery on, too terrified I'd break it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearls are delicate gems. I don't know why anyone would want to sleep wearing them. They'll experience many hours of friction against your pillow, oils from your skin, they'll pick up skin oils and any cosmetics/lotions from your pillowcase, etc. I mean, sure, you can sleep in them, but your pearls will last much longer if you treat them well. There's a saying that pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off. I use setting powder and setting spray, and I have to put on my pearls after doing my makeup, because otherwise, those products get on the pearls.

Pearls need to be coddled, in my humble opinion!

You earrings are gorgeous.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't sleep in studs - I impale myself, but I find the small fake huggie hoop style is a 24/7 sort of system

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I can't sleep in studs - I impale myself, but I find the small fake huggie hoop style is a 24/7 sort of system

Same for me. I'm so used to wearing hoop earrings 24/7 that I sometimes forget to remove my other sets.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful earrings. One thing to point out is that freshwater rice pearls are not expensive. If they do lose their luster the biggest cost will be the labor in having the old pearls removed and placing new pearls in their place.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I wear freshwater pearl dangle earrings 24/7 , I buy them from Pearl Paradise usually , they are either leverbacks or on fish hooks .I only take them off for showering .Luster has never been affected . I can't wear any sort of studs because they enlarge my piercings .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results