clarity

Skipping Tiffany, help me choose between these 3 ACA'S

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pick the I VS2 .

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the I/VS2 choice. I like the size and I like the clarity better for a ring (which people tend to inspect closer than a pendant/earrings).

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Lots of great information here! You folks can find everything about each stone haha. Rockbrat thanks for all your in depth info.

I am really leaning toward the big one now! I think any of these will just knock our socks off once here. Tough decision for sure though.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I asked Becca about the inclusions in the 1.74, mainly the ones on top. Here is what she replied with:

"With the 1.74ct the inclusions in the table were a bit easy for me to pick out from 6 inches really due to where they are located. Typically if you have the inclusions that fall more under the crown facets they can be somewhat obscured by the breaking up of light in that area. Now, as I mentioned… While I was able to see them at 6 inches doesn’t mean that everyone will be able to. Over the years my eyes have been trained to hone in on the smallest details that others may overlook or just not be able to focus on. Would I own the 1.746ct? In an instant I would. I do think it’s priced very well for the size as well. In the end it will really come down to what you’re most comfortable with. Some people go with the more “mind clean” option and opt for the VS2 for the overall piece of mind"

Becca is very amazing and I highly recommend her to anyone looking for a diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happilymarried|1457559230|4002231 said:
I asked Becca about the inclusions in the 1.74, mainly the ones on top. Here is what she replied with:

"With the 1.74ct the inclusions in the table were a bit easy for me to pick out from 6 inches really due to where they are located. Typically if you have the inclusions that fall more under the crown facets they can be somewhat obscured by the breaking up of light in that area. Now, as I mentioned… While I was able to see them at 6 inches doesn’t mean that everyone will be able to. Over the years my eyes have been trained to hone in on the smallest details that others may overlook or just not be able to focus on. Would I own the 1.746ct? In an instant I would. I do think it’s priced very well for the size as well. In the end it will really come down to what you’re most comfortable with. Some people go with the more “mind clean” option and opt for the VS2 for the overall piece of mind"

Becca is very amazing and I highly recommend her to anyone looking for a diamond.

That's awesome, HM!! Go for the BIG ONE!! She's gonna be over the moon!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
So that's good news if you can't see it unless it's super close? This is all new to me haha.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a surprise for her? I cannot remember. If it's not a full surprise, maybe you can order both on a credit card and have her choose? I'd hate for you to order one, have her not like it (unlikely! but who knows) and when you go to send it back the other top contender has been snatched up.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happilymarried|1457560254|4002246 said:
So that's good news if you can't see it unless it's super close? This is all new to me haha.

I'd say that's great news!! :dance: :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree that it is great news! If Becca said she would be happy to have it, then that's all I'd need to know! There's zero risk anyway because if your wife thought it was too big, too small, too low in color or clarity, etc., you have 30 days to exchange it. So I'd go with the big one and then tell her if she doesn't like something about it, it can be changed.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RockBrat|1457544779|4002104 said:
pfunk|1457532149|4002000 said:
I personally wouldn't rule out number 1 and say it doesn't have any advantages. It is cut to very similar proportions as the 1.59 and as you can see the size difference is VERY hard to even see. It's eye clean and the visual look is going to be similar because it is cut to the same proportions. Certainly the $ difference needs to be considered as well as other aspects. Having said that, if you want the eye cleanliness from all distances/angles, then the VS may be worth the money to you. But from a visual standpoint I wouldn't rule it out.

Everyone's eyes are different but I actually see a large difference in the face-up size between the 1.55 and 1.59. One should consider the mm dimensions of the stones, as similar carat weights mean nothing. There is a .13 mm difference. If you put that into prespective, considering there is .19 mm difference between the 1.59 and 1.74, you actually maximize your face up value more between the 1.55 and 1.59. You gain .13 mm face up for .04 ctw. Between the 1.59 and 1.74, you gain .19 mm face up value for .15 ctw. The way the diamonds are falling tilted on the hand is deceiving.

The price savings of that stone is the advantage but considering that it has an indented natural in an undesireable spot and seems to have smaller mm dimensions than it should, that's where the savings is coming from. It is a good stone though for someone who wants to be in that price range, but the face up size value is not there.

An ACA will have been thoroughly inspected and vetted to not have performance or durability defects resulting from an inclusion. The indented natural shouldnt pose a problem. Cutting it a TOUCH deeper than it could have been and some slightly thick girdle areas make this diamond face up about 0.015 carats smaller than it ideally could have. So it isnt perfect, but considering what you are paying on a price per carat basis, it is an attractive option as an eye clean SI with ACA branding and similar proportions to the 1.59.

As you said everyones eyes are a bit different, but I think you are in a VAST minority if you can see a 0.03 mm difference like you said. I'd say a very keen eye could pick out a 0.1mm difference on diamonds side by side and loose. Once set it is going to take a good eye to tell those apart. I think it is important to keep in mind what difference the average eye will be able to detect and also consider how that perception changes after mounting.

The good thing here... You can't choose wrong with any of the three! :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Paralysis by analysis?

cheers--Sharon

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
RockBrat|1457471386|4001736 said:
It's really hard to tell without seeing them but based on the numbers, they are all within the Tolkowsky cut range but 2 is very different than 1 and 3. Stones 1 and 3 will essentially, the majority of the time, have a low level of pastel rainbow colored streaks in it. They won't be over the entire diamond but just here or there. Almost like if an Opal were silver but still had its pink and blue colorations. However the indented natural on stone 1 could impede the light and you may notice a silver leaky area right around it with no rainbow colors that may be transparent or look like a mirror without a reflection. Stone 2 will be brighter and have more white light to it. The best comparison I can think of is a low wattage lightbulb vs a high wattage lightbulb. Higher wattage is brighter but they're both close to the same color and they both produce light. It will most likely look whiter and brighter and less silver than stones 1 and 3 but you might not have as many pale pink or blue streaks as the other two.

Also, if they all had the exact same dimensions, number 2 would appear the largest just based on how the brighter white light is reflected. So not only do you get the larger size, it will actually appear even larger than it is.

So, with the 1.74, you are saying it will have a whiter look. I was wondering what makes this? While watching the videos of the 1.74 and 1.59, the 1.74 does seem more white to me anyways.

Also, I am just wondering if I am missing anything else with this stone. The certificate is from 2014 and it is priced at 13500. That seems like a while that no one else has taken it. Any other I color stone in that size range is around 16000. Is it really that great of a deal? I guess it's just hard to pull the trigger when I am spending so much. I'm kind of a simple guy, not a big spender so I really keep kicking it back and forth mainly between the 1.59 and 1.74. My wife is always sentimental about any gift, so I know she won't be upgrading it ever. I few years ago I asked her about upgrading the ring she has. She wouldn't want to do that and not have the original stone anymore. So, this is a once in a lifetime surprise gift what she won't know anything about.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Just to confuse you even more

type LD02722678

into search box in bluenile.com

1.66ct H SI1 $13333

click on GCAL report for pics of actual diamond.

HCA 1.3 (use the numbers on the GCAL, they're more accurate)

It's Canadian, if that appeals

_______

1.58ct G SI2 $12905

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7164/?shop=yes

________

1.55 I VS1 $11610

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.55-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762226

click on the little round red images on the bottom right of the diamond pic to view the H & A

(and if you wanted to know what a K does for your budget -

1.74 K VS2 $8570

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.74-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-848276

_______

if you can't make a decision though, I'd honestly put the subject out of your mind for the weekend and come back to it on Monday.

I've basically been no help

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Or, sorry don't know where you are, but if you are Stateside, maybe fly her to Texas for a weekend and have her pick one from Whiteflash, make a nice surprise trip of it. And you don't have to make the decision! And you'll both be able to evaluate them in the flesh which is the best option.

Or, another idea - can Whiteflash ship the diamonds in question to an appraiser local to you? You needn't pay for them under this arrangement if the appraiser is approved (though you'll need to pay shipping). Then you and the appraiser can inspect the final two candidates. If you really feel uncomfortable trying to separate them on paper.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
keep it simple . . .

the 1.746 is gonna be a stunner
Also White Flash has a nice life time trade up and one year buy back so if there is something abt the stone that your soon to be fiancee doesn't like abt the clarity or sparkle you can modify

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results