shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin care

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your favorite skin care (anti-aging) line and why. I''ve been using Philosophy for a long time, and I love it, but I want to know if I''m missing out on some great brands.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I use Clinique (Including the anit-aging products) and have for years. Why do I like them, because I will be 50 this month and look 40.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Not to sound completely like a broken record, but skinactives.com.
Why:
- I like that they focus only on the ingredients, down to every last itty bitty detail, and their pre-made stuff contains only things that serve a purpose, in very exact amounts and ratios.
- Beyond the more superficial changes I''ve seen, like improvement of scars I''ve had for years, or improvement of broken capillaries, skinactives has taken care of my most fundamental problem of thin and sensitive skin, and now my skin feels ''thicker,'' strong, plump, even dewy
21.gif

While I don''t use too many things that are explicitly anti-aging, I definitely have seen improvements of the little crow''s feet. And more than anything, I like that they''re concerned with the science and actual effectiveness of their ingredients. If you read their forum, it seems that their anti-aging products are pretty astounding. It''s not pretty, and it doesn''t smell pretty - but I''m borderline unhealthily obssessed with skincare, so...
2.gif
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love Paula''s Choice products, especially the exfoliating products and the sunscreens. I like that she uses real, peer-reviewed, proven science in formulating her products - no hype, just scientific explanations for why certain things are included (or not included), and its all fragrance-free.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If people could also respond with a particular product in a product line as well that they absolutely love, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Anti-aging cream
Collagen serum
(from skinactives)
...among many others. You should see the email I keep on file to send to people who ask me exactly what I use on my skin - it's a novel!
3.gif
5.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, drinking a lot of water and eating healthy are the *best* things I do for my skin. I see an almost immediate difference when I go from eating well and staying hydrated to being reckless.

I LOVE Paula Begoun's reviews and advice about skin care and makeup. You can find her reviews here. I highly recommend checking them out before you switch to a new product.

That being said, I'm still looking to switch my current regime because Paula's reviews are pretty low on what I use. I really only have problems with my skin when I'm not eating well, though. Great thread.

I just turned 29 on Thursday so I made a comparison picture of me at age 25 and now. I think my skin is holding up pretty well. I had acne in college and it was a bit devastating, so I never want to go back to that.

ETA: I just bit the bullet and ordered the Paula's Choice skin care starter system! It was only $43 with shipping, not bad!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 11:47:36 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Love Paula''s Choice products, especially the exfoliating products and the sunscreens. I like that she uses real, peer-reviewed, proven science in formulating her products - no hype, just scientific explanations for why certain things are included (or not included), and its all fragrance-free.

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO! Finding Paula was the single best thing I have ever had happen to my skin!

www.paulaschoice.com

TL, there''s really no need to list specific favorite PS products because if you go to her website, you can search by skin type, or any problems, etc., and see the products for that specific situation. Easy breezy.

I will likely NEVER go back to expensive department store products. Her stuff is awesome.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Agree with Lynn and Haven - Paula''s reviews and her products are both incredibly helpful.

My current skin care regimen:

Neutrogena fresh foaming face wash, morning and night
Paula''s Choice 2% BHA lotion, nightly
Paula''s Choice Blemish fighting solution as needed
Sunscreen (either in my foundation or separately - if separately I like Neutrogena dry touch or Paula''s Choice non-greasy)

That''s it. I''m also like Haven in that when I eat a good diet (tons of fruits and veggies) and drink plenty of water (and get plenty of sleep), my skin thanks me.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OOOOhhhhhhh, did TL want to know our particular skin care regime?! OOPS, my bad!
2.gif

PM:
Wash face with Paula's Choice fash wash for normal-to-dry skin
Alternate nightly PC's AHA lotion or PC's BHA -or- occasionally PC's moisturizer w/o SPF if have any dry patches, etc ( <- but generally don't need any moisturizer because my skin care products are so mild and non-drying).

AM:
Rinse face in shower (no cleanser)
PC's tinted moisturizer or foundation w/ SPF or Lancome foundation w/ SPF
Rest of makeup (cosmetics): eyeshadow, mascara, blush, lip gloss.

*DONE!*

No toners, no masks, no special eye anythings, no arsenal of products, no hassles or gimmicks, and no big bucks. And for [*cough*] my age
2.gif
my skin looks pretty good. Thanks, Paula!
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
PS, Also echoing Haven and AG... I think a nutritious, healthful diet is SO IMPORTANT, and makes SUCH a difference in everything, especially our skin. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and water, regular exercise, not smoking... and OH -- some dark chocolate and a glass of wine now and then!
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Genetics and staying out of the sun are IMHO the best skin care available!

I use a kids sunscreen SPF 50 all year round and then Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum (LOVE this product) on top and as a make-up base. I also use Max Factor make-up which seems to be good at helping protect my skin. Weirdly enough both my mother and my grandmother both use Max Factor which I didn''t know till last year. My grandmother is in her 80''s and still has fabulous skin.

No-one ever guesses even close to my real age and I don''t have any wrinkles yet and I''m 37, so I''m pretty lucky.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another great resource for product reviews is makeupalley.com, though it''s a bit daunting. I discovered Paula''s site before that, and was frustrated with her reviews because I find that many of the products I''ve used or have considered using are not reviewed there.

MUA is great if you already have some general direction and want to read a large number of reviews on a few products. Not so great for browsing to find something great in the first place.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
At 54yrs old, I''ve tried a lot of skin care lines. Everything from Perricone, LaMer, Lancome, all the big guns. But now I''ve been using the Olay line for about 2 years.
I use the eye cream, foam reversal moisturizer, tinted moisturizer, neck and chest moisturizer. I even use the foam stuff on my arms and hands. It''s cheap 18.00-28.00 and I don''t have to venture into temptation land at Nordstroms or some where else.

I also use Olay''s warming facial wash with my Clarisonic.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my clarisonic too. Well worth the money IMHO. I have also bought three of them for my boys, including the new MIA (smaller size for traveling) for my son to take to college. It cleans your pores
deep down so any product you use works better.

I love LaMer eye concentrate, but I think I am going to switch to murad because of the cost. My skin is super sensitive probably due to Retin A. I would forget most beauty products and go with that. A generic
small tube from Costco pharmacy is about $50.00 and lasts a long time.

I have worn Bare Escentuals make up for years and my skin improved so much with that. I use philosopy purity face wash, but my kids use cetaphil daily wash with their clarisonics. I think I am going to try that when I run out.

I am going to turn 50 in a week and my few wrinkles are very light. I think that is due to the Retin A. A couple on my forehead and thats about it. No crows feet or smile lines, one little line by one eyebrow
from frowning in the sun. Of course, the minute I turn 50, it''s all over. I will probably wake up the next morning and scare myself when I look in the mirror. That''s the way it goes.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 11:08:59 AM
Author: Scorpioanne
I use Clinique (Including the anit-aging products) and have for years. Why do I like them, because I will be 50 this month and look 40.
clinique is also my choice...mom and sisters started me using this line when i was young and i use it when i can afford to purchase better skin products.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Big yes to the Clarisonic! It has been such a great investment. My skin looks fresh and healthy, and it has kept my acne-prone skin under control post-Accutane. I use the delicate brush head and Cetaphil cleanser. It really does make products "sink in" better--I feel like my topical creams and serums actually work, which I hadn''t been seeing before I started using the Clarisonic. I also love the super-clean feeling I get after I use it.

I think good ol'' Retin-A is probably the best anti-aging treatment out there. My pharmacy charges $40 for a generic tube. My mom is almost 54 and has very few wrinkles, and she uses Retin-A daily. It also helps with acne (this is why I use it), so you can kill two birds with one stone if you have blemishes.

For lightening dark spots, Tri-Luma is a good cream (prescription only). It contains retinol, hydroquinone, and cortisone, which speed up cell turnover, bleach dark spots, and relieve inflammation, respectively. It''s pretty effective, but can cause irritation if your skin is very sensitive.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 8:27:30 PM
Author: kittybean

I think good ol'' Retin-A is probably the best anti-aging treatment out there. My pharmacy charges $40 for a generic tube. My mom is almost 54 and has very few wrinkles, and she uses Retin-A daily. It also helps with acne (this is why I use it), so you can kill two birds with one stone if you have blemishes.

Ditto this!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big yes to the Clarisonic! It has been such a great investment. My skin looks fresh and healthy, and it has kept my acne-prone skin under control post-Accutane. I use the delicate brush head and Cetaphil cleanser. It really does make products ''sink in'' better--I feel like my topical creams and serums actually work, which I hadn''t been seeing before I started using the Clarisonic. I also love the super-clean feeling I get after I use it.

For lightening dark spots, Tri-Luma is a good cream (prescription only). It contains retinol, hydroquinone, and cortisone, which speed up cell turnover, bleach dark spots, and relieve inflammation, respectively. It''s pretty effective, but can cause irritation if your skin is very sensitive.
I used tri-luma for a freckle (from pregnancy) on my face that I hate. It really burned and irritated my skin. I''m very very fair, so maybe that''s why.

I didn''t know you could buy generic retin-a!!

Thanks for all the skin care information ladies. Please keep ''em coming.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started using Clinique last year and love it. It made an amazing difference in my skin. I like their dramatically different moisturizer and the repairwear eye cream the best of the products I use. I use their basic skin care (cleansing, exfoliate and moisturizer) and their foundation, blush and eye makeup.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 10:00:17 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Big yes to the Clarisonic! It has been such a great investment. My skin looks fresh and healthy, and it has kept my acne-prone skin under control post-Accutane. I use the delicate brush head and Cetaphil cleanser. It really does make products ''sink in'' better--I feel like my topical creams and serums actually work, which I hadn''t been seeing before I started using the Clarisonic. I also love the super-clean feeling I get after I use it.

I used tri-luma for a freckle (from pregnancy) on my face that I hate. It really burned and irritated my skin. I''m very very fair, so maybe that''s why.

The Tri-Luma can definitely irritate! I use it very sparingly on the couple spots I have from hormonal BC + sunlight. It helps to put a little more cortisone cream over it.

You can definitely buy generic Retin-A. Mine''s called "tretinoin cream." I don''t think there''s a generic version of Retin-A Micro yet (although I''m not sure what the difference between the regular and the micro is).

The other part of my skin care regime I didn''t mention was moisturizer with sunless tanner in it. I use the Jergens face one, and it gives me a nice glow and SPF 20 (helps me to remember to put on sunscreen every day). That way I''m not tempted to go out in the sun to get a little color on my face
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
For a miracle anti-aging cream, my favorite is Afirm 2X (it''s a retinol delivered by microsponge technology - awesome and only around $20 a tube. You can find it on skinstore.com).

Right now, though, I''m pregnant, so I can''t use retinol (which, IMO, is the gold standard product for wrinkles, sun spots and acne). So, I''ve been using Clinique products, and really liking them.

I recently picked up a bottle of the Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Corrector Serum and it''s excellent - about $40 a bottle, but I think Clinique is having bonus time now at Macy''s ...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2009 10:28:42 PM

Date: 10/11/2009 10:00:17 PM

The Tri-Luma can definitely irritate! I use it very sparingly on the couple spots I have from hormonal BC + sunlight. It helps to put a little more cortisone cream over it.

You can definitely buy generic Retin-A. Mine''s called ''tretinoin cream.'' I don''t think there''s a generic version of Retin-A Micro yet (although I''m not sure what the difference between the regular and the micro is).

The other part of my skin care regime I didn''t mention was moisturizer with sunless tanner in it. I use the Jergens face one, and it gives me a nice glow and SPF 20 (helps me to remember to put on sunscreen every day). That way I''m not tempted to go out in the sun to get a little color on my face
1.gif
What concentration of generic retin-A do any of you use (if you purchase it of course).

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 10:31:40 PM

What concentration of generic retin-A do any of you use (if you purchase it of course).
Mine is .025%.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Can someone please tell me what a Clarisonic is? I like the sounds of it..

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 11:41:51 PM
Author: arjunajane
AJ, get ready for a big skin care expenditure
3.gif

The Clarisonic is a skin cleaning tool made by Sonicare (the sonic toothbrush company). It has a brush that oscillates sonically to massage your face and clean it. It is supposed to remove makeup six times better than just washing your face, and it leaves your skin squeaky-clean and shiny. I love mine! Amazon actually has it for a great price right now: linky.

You can read reviews of it online at makeupalley.com or on Sephora''s website.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 10:08:56 PM
Author: marcyc
I started using Clinique last year and love it. It made an amazing difference in my skin. I like their dramatically different moisturizer and the repairwear eye cream the best of the products I use. I use their basic skin care (cleansing, exfoliate and moisturizer) and their foundation, blush and eye makeup.
I agree.The dramatically different moisturizer is the best.A little goes a long way.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get the generic retinol without a prescription?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 11:57:54 PM
Date: 10/11/2009 11:41:51 PM

Author: arjunajane

AJ, get ready for a big skin care expenditure
3.gif

The Clarisonic is a skin cleaning tool made by Sonicare (the sonic toothbrush company). It has a brush that oscillates sonically to massage your face and clean it. It is supposed to remove makeup six times better than just washing your face, and it leaves your skin squeaky-clean and shiny. I love mine! Amazon actually has it for a great price right now: linky.

You can read reviews of it online at makeupalley.com or on Sephora's website.

Thankyou KB - sounds and looks really interesting!
Never heard of this contraption, I will have to see if they sell this type of thing in Aus, as the shipping from Amazon would likely be a killer..
I tend to have quite open/clogged pores so this sounds like it would be good for me..

So you just use your regular facewashes but use the brush to apply them?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ, I''m with you! My pores tend to get clogged easily, and the Clarisonic sounds awesome!
1.gif

I noticed that the one Kittybean linked to above (on Amazon) is the "Pro" model, which is supposed to be the top-of-the-line one, according to Clarisonic''s website. And that does look like a very good price, compared to what they''re going for on Clarisonic''s site. Can anyone tell us more about this fabulous gadget? Like AJ said, I''m also wondering exactly how it works? Do you just get the brush wet under the faucet, put your regular face wash on the brush (which for me is Clinique oily skin formula) and then scrub your face with the brush? And from what I''m reading, the Clarisonic "tells" you how long to spend on each area of your face, right? Which brush should "newbies" start with . . . the regular, sensitive, or delicate one? Any additional info would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results