shape
carat
color
clarity

Size....matters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jasper11

Rough_Rock
I''m really having a hard time.
Size does matter.
8.gif
I''m trying to stick with a nice center stone that has the best cut, etc, but now I''m drawn to a .97 princess LM color, SI3 for $1,600, it does have a yellow cast and looking at it with the pave'' setting in palladium I''m afraid it''ll look really yellow.
I have seen other stones that look nice - they''re just ... smaller. (they have no report and it is not certified)
Help me overcome this senseless draw I have towards a larger stone - just cuz it is.

The other thing is that I''m finding the loose stones at finer jewellers about $1,000 more than a lesser stylish jeweller.
I''m sure it''s the ambience I''d be paying for.

I''m having an even more difficult time with the setting...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be princesses?

Rounds face up larger. I have an asscher and well... I understand the syndrome.

But I just remembered that rounds cost more.

I like the X factor one. It''s about 5 x 5... to address the setting issues: 20978L on the top row adwar page below for a 5X5 asscher would work with that X factor because of the cut corners on that stone. It''s a halo... so it would GREATLY help with your size issues. And WF can order it in all 14K white gold and set it for you with ACA melee ... H-I color VS for around... 500 bucks. That would be the combo I would use IF the X-factor stone is eye clean (call WF and ask).

http://www.adwar.com/products/catalog19/page_1117/index.html

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love warmer diamonds, but I don't know if an L - M colour in a Princess would be for me, a well cut Round sure. However your own eyes are the best judge, but it has been said before, a warmer colour is best being something you embrace, not trying to hide it and think that it might compete with a higher colour. Buy a warmer colour because it is pleasing to your own eyes is the best policy.

This diamond must be EGL graded, which EGL is it - USA, Europe, Israel etc? Some think EGL are softer on grading so really before going any further you might want to get an independant appraisal to make sure this diamond checks out for colour and clarity. An SI3 is an EGL only used grade, GIA would grade an EGL SI3 as an I1 in many cases. Also with the colour if that graded lower it could actually be an M N or O - and with these you will definitely see colour! Nothing wrong at all if you prefer the warmer colours, just make sure if you buy this diamond the warm tint you see won't bother you down the line. Have you looked at diamonds online?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know how you feel, my e-ring is smaller than I''d like. However, we purchased from a company with an upgrade policy for 100% of the stone''s original value. Although we will lose inflation, it is still an option for those who want a big stone but can''t purchase it right away. You might want to consider this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 4:28:41 AM
Author: kcoursolle
I know how you feel, my e-ring is smaller than I''d like. However, we purchased from a company with an upgrade policy for 100% of the stone''s original value. Although we will lose inflation, it is still an option for those who want a big stone but can''t purchase it right away. You might want to consider this.
Good point Koursie!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 9:48:16 PM
Author:jasper11

Size does matter.
8.gif
I''m trying to stick with a nice center stone that has the best cut, etc, but now I''m drawn to a .97 princess LM color, SI3 for $1,600, it does have a yellow cast and looking at it with the pave'' setting in palladium I''m afraid it''ll look really yellow.

Where is this stone''s cert from?
Does GIA grade stones as SI3? I didn''t think that they used that grading and that SI3 was used by other labs to avoid the dreaded I grading. Do you know for certain that this stone is eye-clean?
Also if not graded by the GIA do you really trust that LM color grading? Most unmounted stones can be given a singular color grade (especially at the lower end of the color spectrum there is a wide range w/i what constitutes an L correct?

As someone who got an M colored stone in her engagement ring I would tell you don''t do it. If you can see the color, she will see the color, and others will be able to see the color as well. My husband used a family stone and didn''t have it evaluated before having my ring made. If I had had anything to do w/ the process I A) would have found out if there were any other stones in the necklace he took the stone from (he just took the biggest stone) B) if I had had any hand in the setting (which I feel strongly I should have) and I had known about the color I would have probably looked into having the stone set in a platinum ring but w/ a rose gold halo to make the stone appear a little whiter perhaps?
My stone is an antique cut round so I always just say that it''s an antique stone- because honestly it doesn''t look yellow, it just appears warmer or sometimes darker than the I-J stones that are in the setting.

Definitely check out the X-factor stones from WF others have posted. They know what they are talking about.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 10:38:49 AM
Author: dtnyc

Size does matter.
8.gif

Does GIA grade stones as SI3? I didn''t think that they used that grading and that SI3 was used by other labs to avoid the dreaded I grading. Do you know for certain that this stone is eye-clean?
Also if not graded by the GIA do you really trust that LM color grading? Most unmounted stones can be given a singular color grade (especially at the lower end of the color spectrum there is a wide range w/i what constitutes an L correct?

As someone who got an M colored stone in her engagement ring I would tell you don''t do it. If you can see the color, she will see the color, and others will be able to see the color as well. My husband used a family stone and didn''t have it evaluated before having my ring made. If I had had anything to do w/ the process I A) would have found out if there were any other stones in the necklace he took the stone from (he just took the biggest stone) B) if I had had any hand in the setting (which I feel strongly I should have) and I had known about the color I would have probably looked into having the stone set in a platinum ring but w/ a rose gold halo to make the stone appear a little whiter perhaps?
My stone is an antique cut round so I always just say that it''s an antique stone- because honestly it doesn''t look yellow, it just appears warmer or sometimes darker than the I-J stones that are in the setting.

Definitely check out the X-factor stones from WF others have posted. They know what they are talking about.
No they do not. That is how we can ascertain that the diamond in question carries an EGL report, they are the only lab who invented and use this grade.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 10:58:18 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 1/13/2007 10:38:49 AM

Author: dtnyc

Size does matter.
8.gif

No they do not. That is how we can ascertain that the diamond in question carries an EGL report, they are the only lab who invented and use this grade.

Sorry- I didn''t see your other post re: that...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered marquise or pear shapes? They do face up much bigger so you can get more bling for the buck..

Just for fun, I looked up mq''s on the data base above, and 50 pointers can be as much as 8mm long!
6.gif

widget

jasper11

Rough_Rock
Hi
Actually, I am doing the leg work for my boyfriend, if he had to endure all the scrutiny and places I''ve been he''d lose it - haha! Anyway - it doesn''t have to be a princess, I really like a square-ish radiant. My fingers are short so a slightly elongated radiant probably looks better than a princess, come to think of it.
I like a halo setting but don''t think it''s my choice.
The L-M diamond does not have a certificate. This was from a jewelry and loan, so odds are it was taken from another piece of jewelry, at least that is my guess.
If a diamond is warmer - as I do like the look but not with other stones around it - does the flourescence really make a difference??

I was just excited about the size and price. Once I do more investigating online I''m sure I will come up with something comparable.

I don''t care for any other shapes, but a round is an option and depends on how it would look in a setting, once I choose a setting (another dilemna!).

I know that cut is the most important - so if there are no indication on the cut grading (if I''m putting that the right way) then what about the symmetry grading?

jasper11

Rough_Rock
how do I know the PS discount I get with the diamond vendors, such as whiteflash??

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Just ask them for the PS discount. For WF, I think it is 2% wire transfer/PS for their regular diamonds, 3% for their Expert selection and 5% for their ACA collection . . . but double check with them. That X-factor looks like a good deal, particularly if it is eye-clean. Call them . . .

Fluor in a L/M will likely help it look less yellow . . .

jasper11

Rough_Rock
I looked up the dimensions of the whiteflash diamond as posted and the halloway cut advisor states the depth is too much.
7.gif

I can''t seem to find anything that really comes together with all good percentages and color and such without either going for a small diamond or sacrificying in some way if it is larger.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 2:07:38 PM
Author: jasper11
I looked up the dimensions of the whiteflash diamond as posted and the halloway cut advisor states the depth is too much.
7.gif

I can''t seem to find anything that really comes together with all good percentages and color and such without either going for a small diamond or sacrificying in some way if it is larger.

The Holloway Cut Advisor only works on rounds.

There is no such tool for other shapes.
Sorry.

jasper11

Rough_Rock
Poop!
But can I kind of go by the guidelines of depth at least? Just to narrow things down?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 2:45:30 PM
Poop!
But can I kind of go by the guidelines of depth at least? Just to narrow things down?
Fancies are a whole other ballgame. That X-factor would be perfect. You have to love it though. It is PS discount and it is upgradeable. Just something to think about.

shay

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2007 2:45:30 PM
Poop!

No.

If you want a superbly cut princess (without spending a hundred years getting a Ph.D on the subject) just get an AGS 0.

AGS is a highly respected lab that recently began rating the cut of princess diamonds.
No other lab give a cut grade to princess diamonds.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
i would not suggest getting anything lower than a J color into a white metal, even with fluro. if you''re going to go with it i suggest yellow gold setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results