shape
carat
color
clarity

Size difference - 2 ct asscher or 1.75 round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

I have just started looking seriously for a diamond. I''m going through Mark at Engagement rings direct - He''s been very helpful and patient with all of my questions.

I had been pretty much set on a 1.75 round, but recently my boyfriend and I have seen some great asschers. We can probably afford a 2ct asscher...but how will the size compare to a 1.75 round? Also, will the steps in an asscher be noticeable enough in a 2ct, or does it have to be 3ct+ in order to have the right look?

Thanks in advance for your help!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well sizing of the stones are dependent on the ''cut'' and shape of the stone, but if you get a rather square Asscher, possibly expect a diameter of about 6.9mm or 7mm depending on depth and table, etc. But around there.

In comparison, a well-cut round 1.75c will have a diameter of around 7.75mm.

So you''d need something like a ~2.6c asscher to get the same diameter as a 1.75c round....

Oh and re: an Asscher and visible step pattern in a 2c size, I think you could definitely see the pattern in a 2c Asscher...I tend to think Asschers look better in larger carat weights because of that fabulous pattern and having it be noticeable.

Hope this helps!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick search in the database gets 2 carat "asschers" (square EC - not branded that is) of about 7.2-7.3mm annd 1.5 carat AGS0 rounds of about 7.3-7.4 mm diameter. A pretty good match, I would say.

Of course the stones will look very different, but the main difference would not be size.

This... unless the asscher is 80% deep and look 2/3 of what you'd expect.

Do the steps show ?
2.gif
Well, see this. I think they do
1.gif

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
hmm...I''d have to get a 2.6 asscher? Yikes! Definitely can''t afford that.

Have any of you seen a shallow asscher before? I''m looking at one on icestore.com that has a depth in the 50s... It''s got a much better spread but I wonder if the steps would look flattened.

Also, I saw a G color asscher the other day and could actually detect body color! Amazing! I''m not very color-sensitive and can''t see anything in an I round.

Thanks for all your advice!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2005 10:41:43 AM
Author: gongjoo143

Have any of you seen a shallow asscher before? I'm looking at one on icestore.com that has a depth in the 50s... It's got a much better spread but I wonder if the steps would look flattened.
50% perhaps not, between 60% and 65% they get pretty nice.

Not that a shallow one can't be bright... but it would look dark anywhere but under direct light (good for pendant, not ring).

Btw. sorry for the confusion in my previous post: for some reason I compared 1.5 round (instead of 1.75) with the average size of 2 carat asschers. Those were stones with depth about 60%-64%.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results