shape
carat
color
clarity

Six prong orientation - always the same?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be a stupid question but it just occured to me that I always see the prongs on 6 prong heads oriented the same way with prongs at 12:00 and 6:00 and the other two stradeling the band.

Is there a reason for this? E.g., better protection of the diamond due to where most stones are banged? (For some reason I recall a thread where Garry pointed out that the most likely place to damage a diamond is on the sides, but maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly because that would not make sense based on the typical 6 prong orientation.)

To my eye the prongs over the band and then two on the top and bottom is more appealing, but I wondering if there is a reason that it's not done this way?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Probably more tradition than anything, but while there is a tiny increased risk of damage to the outer edge of the diamond if done the way you want it, it is not a big deal to have it done that way with any peg head design, just ask your jeweler to install it that way and it shall be done...

Wink

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is another way...turned slightly, like LLL''s ring was done I think like that. So it''s two prongs at the top, two at the bottom, and one on each side (right and left) aligned with the band. I don''t know that one is right or wrong...but I kind of like the LLL way visually a little better. But I love my way too. Either works!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, you are right, Garry has posted several times about the orientation of 6 prong heads and his beliefs about which is safer. I''ll see if I can find a thread or two....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
confirmed.
Any experianced jeweller will tell you that 90% of the chipped girdles they see are on the band sides of the diamond - not the ends - this is because we move our hands side ways rather than back and forward that means moving our upper arm as well.

This is also evident in retipping - often the side prongs need it and the North South prongs do not.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! If I end up going 6 prong (when my permanent diamond finally arrives) I definitely want my "head turned"!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm confused then. I thought Garry was saying it was safest to keep two prongs on the sides like the traditional way we set a 6 prong. Is that not what he meant?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm.... maybe I''ve having one of those pre-coffee moments...

Check out this thread; see Garry''s post on 12/20/04 6:44:48 pm (just scroll down, there''s a photo with red arrows drawn in).

link

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, DeeJay, after reading through that whole thread, I see what you mean. It sounds like there is not a consensus about the prong orientation, but I am becoming more convinced that 6 would be wiser. Although, I have had a 4 prong setting for 29 years and still have my diamond! Prong did come loose once, but the stone did not fall out, thankfully. I''ll be interested to see your future ring and how you decide to have the prongs oriented!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I am a *little* ahead of myself at this point since there is no permanent diamond yet. But you can never be too prepared, right!
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really! Deciding on anything at all is making progress!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ here is LLL''s fab head...this is how I wanted my head to be for a while...

When I got home from WF I was looking at this picture then looking at my head and going WHAT is the difference? It''s so close yet not exact.

It finally dawned on me that her head was turned. This straight on side view you see in the first picture is what I see when I turn my diamond at an angle and look at the head. I can see 4 prongs then the way 4 are visible here. It makes the head look bigger I think, I mean the diamond, from the side view, when it is set like this.

I still love my prong orientation but I''d be curious to see if I''d like this one too. It sounds to me like Garry was saying this way is safer because seemingly most diamond chips happen at the band area where in the regular prong orientation, the diamond is exposed.

Keep us posted!

llls head.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the exact ring that got me thinking!

I do like the prong orientation better this way for some reason, so if I ever do get to a "permanent" stone and do a 6 prong setting I think I''ll have the head turned like this.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

How fascinating! The orientation of the head was something I hadn''t thought about till you brought that to our attention. Wow, it definately DOES change the look and is certainly worth consideration.

(Oh goodie! Another minute detail for us to agonize over!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results