shape
carat
color
clarity

Sister Wives on TLC

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
let's just say my choice of language wasn't exactly proper. telling the teacher that "just because freud wanted to f*ck his mom..." yea, that didn't exactly go too well in high school...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll probably tune in occasionally, but I don't think I'll waatch it on a regular basis. Having that type of mariage isn't my cup of tea but learning why people choose that lifestyle and how it works interests me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty said:
Let's just say my choice of language wasn't exactly proper. telling the teacher that "just because freud wanted to f*ck his mom..." yea, that didn't exactly go too well in high school...

Yes, well, high school has its limitations!

Deb
:read:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle said:
I haven't watched the show, but my first thought was that this could kinda be a great deal for women who
were not all that interested in a traditional marriage. I mean, they live in a great big house, have lots of other people to
share the work load, built in babysitters and playmates for the kids, they have the family they want but are not solely
responsible for satisfying the needs of a mate, plus most of them don't really seem to want to keep up to date with
hairstyles or fashion. So it a kinda, let yourself go, who cares kinda look. I see some positives to the lifestyle :wink2:

Not for me, I'm a traditional gal, like fashion and hairstyles, and enjoy my man. But I can kinda see another side....

This is how I was thinking of it. I don't want that life myself because of the less appealing aspects (saocia lstigman, sharing your husband), but boy-oh-boy I can easily see the benefits in terms of raising a family. I think it can be lonely at times being a mom when the kids are little, and overwhelming. How great to have a whole team to help.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i just realized that he's the only one working in the family. how the heck does he afford 13 kids and 4 wives?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty said:
i just realized that he's the only one working in the family. how the heck does he afford 13 kids and 4 wives?

That's why he got a show in TLC :lol:

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I find the idea quite interesting, but I'm not sure how am I going to feel watching one man showing love to 3 women :errrr:

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I'll probably watch this show (if I remember to) because I find this to be a fascinating concept. I am very curious about the relationships and how they work in a situation like this. A clip of the family on the TLC website showed how the house they live in is split up into three different "apartments." Each wife has her own living room, kitchen and set of bedrooms. With this type of living arrangement, I guess there is an element of a "separate" relationship within this polygamous marriage.

fortekitty: the clip I saw suggests that at least one of the wives also works outside the home.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
onedrop said:
fortekitty: the clip I saw suggests that at least one of the wives also works outside the home.

Yes. I, also, went there (to the TLC website) after Octavia mentioned the site. He has three wives, not four, and one (Jenelle) works outside the home. Another interesting point: those women are not slouches! That huge house-all the apartments-are sparkling clean! And if they are not currently paragons of fashion, all three of the wives are gorgeous in the portrait that shows them as young mothers with Kody, holding their babies.

Kody says in an interview that they are a, "fundamentalist Mormon family" as opposed to an LDS Mormon family. I have no idea (yet) what that means, but I think that something beyond laziness and sloth is driving these women to live with other women. They may be able to share chores, but with everything tripled, they have more house to clean; more children to care for; etcetera!

I do not presume to know whom it benefits and whom, if anyone, it harms. It just doesn't seem to be the result of the women having no fashion sense and thus having nowhere else to go!

Deb/AGBF

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Mainstream Mormon use the bible and the Book of Mormon which was written by ancient native americans. Mormon is the man who wrote down the info on golden plates from the info gathered. It is based in (what I will call the theory of )Jesus coming to the Americas after being resurrected. Years later, Joseph Smith translated it with the help of the angel Moroni. Fundamentalist still use the revelations brought about in the early years which included polygamy (to increase the population of Zion) and not associating with gentiles. Fundamentalists also believe that a woman can't get into heaven if she's not married. Mainstream Mormons split mostly due to the renunciation of polygamy. Those who wouldn't renounce plural marriage were excommunicated and became their own church in the 30's.

I think that's about all I can share without getting into religion too much, but I did think it was relevant to the thread.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny said:
Mainstream Mormon use the bible and the Book of Mormon which was written by ancient native americans. Mormon is the man who wrote down the info on golden plates from the info gathered. It is based in (what I will call the theory of )Jesus coming to the Americas after being resurrected. Years later, Joseph Smith translated it with the help of the angel Moroni. Fundamentalist still use the revelations brought about in the early years which included polygamy (to increase the population of Zion) and not associating with gentiles. Fundamentalists also believe that a woman can't get into heaven if she's not married. Mainstream Mormons split mostly due to the renunciation of polygamy. Those who wouldn't renounce plural marriage were excommunicated and became their own church in the 30's.

I think that's about all I can share without getting into religion too much, but I did think it was relevant to the thread.

Thank you so much, somethingshiny. Your précis was right on point! I learned a lot.

Deb

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
AGBF~ I just learned what "precis" was! (sorry I can't do the accents.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny said:
AGBF~ I just learned what "precis" was! (sorry I can't do the accents.)

Well you certainly can if you want to, somethingshiny! Hold down the "alt" key with your left hand and type in, "1-3-0" using the keypad and you get the correct accent to use in the word, "précis" and "flambé" and all those other little French words that have crept into English!

It is probably not worth your time to bother learning the accents, however, if you do not often type in French! I do not even know where all of them are and I do have to type in French!

Thanks again for helping out with the information on the Mormon religion!

Deb

I saw a clip on tv the other day. Something about how one of them doesn't understand how more people don't have more wives? Or something like that? I was offended, but curious. I admittedly am a little disgusted with the thought of sharing a husband though.

But, after going to the site and looking around and looking at the first clip.. my impression.... is that they seem happy! And to me, that's really what matters. It's not up to me, or Mike Schmoe... it's up to them. If they are happy so be it! :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also fascinated and will watch. Odd programming for TLC though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is an odd question to ask you, but do I have TLC? I am in a house with cable TV. I cannot go check it out now because my father is asleep in the room with the television set. (I also do not know how to operate the television set although if my life depended on it I could probably figure it out! When we watch DVDs, my daughter sets them up!)

I know we don't spend extra for HBO or anything, but we have regular, good channels. (In Virginia-my actual home-my husband is apparently economizing on the cable since we don't watch television. I know this from my daughter. She apparently cannot watch MTV there. I guess she can watch it here in Connecticut and I know she watches, "Jersey Shore". Are these enough clues to help you to tell me if I have TLC? I really want to watch this show, but I don't know if I get this channel.

Any help will be appreciated!

Deb/AGBF

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb-if you have cable you should have TLC. It's usually a part of the basic package.

As for the show, I don't think I'll watch. I doubt it will be as entertaining as Big Love.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF said:
I know this is an odd question to ask you, but do I have TLC? I am in a house with cable TV. I cannot go check it out now because my father is asleep in the room with the television set. (I also do not know how to operate the television set although if my life depended on it I could probably figure it out! When we watch DVDs, my daughter sets them up!)

I know we don't spend extra for HBO or anything, but we have regular, good channels. (In Virginia-my actual home-my husband is apparently economizing on the cable since we don't watch television. I know this from my daughter. She apparently cannot watch MTV there. I guess she can watch it here in Connecticut and I know she watches, "Jersey Shore". Are these enough clues to help you to tell me if I have TLC? I really want to watch this show, but I don't know if I get this channel.

Any help will be appreciated!

Deb/AGBF

Hey Deb

As a fellow Nutmegger, I can tell you that if you have Comcast and get MTV you also get TLC. If you have ATT U-Verse and have MTV you also have TLC. Satellite TV I'm not positive, but usually MTV and TLC are lumped together. Hope that helps :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, Thing and davi! I don't have satellite; I have cable. I know it's tied to the computer. I can't remember the name of the company at the moment. In Virginia we have Cox Cable. Here I don't pay the bill!!!

I do call for computer support, however, so I went and looked that up. We have Cablevision. It's funny that I can deal with computers but not with television sets. I suspect that it's a matter of interest. If I had a strong interest in television, I bet I could learn to master how a television set works!!!

Anyway, I thank you both again. I really do want to see this show! It seems I will be able to do so if TLC is part of my cable package!!!

Deb/AGBF

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
swimmer said:
Dreamer_D said:
Some days I would not mind having another wife around to share the work.

I hear ya!

I often feel like that too! However I don't have TLC anymore and I'm not interested in the subject or reality TV to watch that kind of show.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anchor31 said:
I often feel like that too! However I don't have TLC anymore and I'm not interested in the subject or reality TV to watch that kind of show.

Do you mean that I am actually going to be watching reality TV if I get to see the show? No one told me that! Now I really hope that I get to see it! The only problem is that on most evenings my daughter and I watch, "The King of Queens" on DVD. We are up to year five and still howling with laughter! I am sorry to know that the series was cancelled after the ninth season!

Deb/AGBF

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm going to pass. I'm not really interested in learning about this lifestyle. I'm uncomfortable with it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm eating my words right now because I watched the first episode. I was flipping through the channel and I watched it. I really don't know how I feel about it. Awkward comes to mind first, but I'm still trying to figure out my exact thoughts.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm watching it right now, and I find it rather fascinating. While watching this I realize that I had a lot of unfair and prejudiced ideas about polygamists.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I watched the show tonight. I thought it was fairly entertaining - the wives seem like good mothers and the children seem really happy and emotionally very healthy.

When the wives were discussing how each of them have their own personal spaces, they brought up the fact that their husband doesn't have his own personal space and they made a joke about how his space is confined to the closet. I literally laughed out loud - as I don't think they know how true a statement that really was (that's my suspicion anyway).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I watched it too...wasn't sure what to think...definitely different. I can say one thing-Kody is AWFULLY smiley!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to watch because I think the whole situation is just weird. That being said, I guess people can do whatever makes them happy... I wonder WHERE and HOW he found women who were willing to agree with this!?! :o

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't get to see it. After my daughter and I had watched one episode of, "The King of Queens" I pointed out that it was almost 10:00 and that we could try the TLC show. She switched to it, but looked as if she were going to cry. She had been depressed during the day, and it just wasn't worth it to disrupt our usual evening so that I could indulge.

I'm glad to read the feedback on the show here.

Deb/AGBF

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I fell asleep while waiting for it to come on! :errrr: Darn.... Does anybody know if it'll be replayed during the week?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have TLC. I will not be watching. I don't watch "reality" shows period. I'm fairly certain I would find that one even more distasteful than most I've been unlucky enough to watch for some reason. And THOSE were the popular ones. (I was forced, one entire season, to watch American Idol, and it almost did me in)

I honestly do not care what people do in private, but I think societal tolerance of polygamy (should it ever come to that) IS taking the tolerance paradigm a bit too far, not to mention it pretty much doesn't work in this society except perhaps in very isolated instances. I have had interesting deep discussions on this topic with people in a group that condoned and practiced "open marriages", and they pretty much agreed with my observation that it seemed nice in theory, while admitting to ME (if not to each other) that it didn't seem to work so well in practice. And, sixties anyone? This HAS been tried, outside of a religious context, in many communes, and it died out. And I sincerely hope it stays dead outside of the fringes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results