shape
carat
color
clarity

Single or Double Claws

ainad

Rough_Rock
If looking for sharp slim talon prong and using a local jeweler, is it easier to execute on single claws or double claws? I hear that good single claws are easier. This is for a 2.6 carat 3 stone emerald ring w/ .41 carat tapered baguettes.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go back to the local jeweler and take pics of their single and double claws, and pour over at home.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
+1 to Pinto
Make absolutely sure you see prongs they have built and use that as a benchmark.
I can tell you from hard experience, that setters will sometimes promise a result that they can't actually accomplish.
There's many cases where what you have in mind is simply not in the capabilities of the setter- claw prongs are a real specialized skill.....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Most local benches are not going to do this well. In fact, I would trust no one in the large city near me to do a custom setting. I'd take macro pictures of some their bench has done and post them here.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Love my double claws - dainty, proportionate and invisible at arms length. It's a Leon Mege setting, and I would absolutely recommend you contact him and see if his work is within your budget.

Unless you can see examples of his work I would hesitate to commission a double claw'd setting - disproportionate size, bulky, wonky claws will all be very visible from what I have seen and will bother you (or the wearer) as you can see them from every angle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results