shape
carat
color
clarity

Single cut melee?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received a platinum and diamond band I won on ebay. How can I tell if the diamonds 7 x .03 are single cut? When I look at them through the 10x loupe, there is a very simple facet pattern, not sure how to describe it, but far less facets than the same size melee in my Bev K rings. They sparkle like *crazy* although I think one might be chipped. I'm thinking they might be single cuts. Does it sound like it?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like it to me ... single cuts basically have a table, and then 8 simple facets on the crown and pavilion, sort of like what you'd get if you cut the rough profile of a modern brilliant. Hope you post pics!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a very primitive sketch that gives you the idea of what a single cut looks like
sc1.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That's what I'm seeing. I looked at other images on google but that is more basic and clear.

I sure love the performance of these wee ones. I had no idea what I was missing until now. So, when were these most popular? I'm thinking from the 20's through the 50's? Why are they not still popular? I guess it's just easier to mass "produce" melee in the modern cut. I prefer the look of these.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the ebay pics for now if I can figure out how to post them. It's platinum 10% iridium, .21 ctw with a subtle knife edge. Size 7.5.
IMG_9450.jpg IMG_9453.jpg IMG_9452.jpg

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Honeslty I cannot see the stones well enough to say.

Here are a few pictures of a ring I own. The center stone is a full cut while the two side stones are single cuts. Hopefully seeing them next to full cuts will help you know.

clgwliundercarat4.jpg

clgwlisinglecut.jpg

I personally love single cut diamonds. They really seem so bright and full of fire!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah-ha!!!

What if I told you I can prove scientifically single cuts are not full of fire?? :wavey:

AMAZING photos clgwli!!
They really do show the difference well.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they are well cut.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks David! I love this setting and a big part are the single cut stones. The seem to be well cut and are just wonderful to have. No matter what science may tell me, I really would love a whole ring of them.

Lyra, I totally forgot to say that this is a beautiful looking ring no matter what. The profile is so beautiful. Amazing what you can find on ebay when it comes to vintage pieces isn't it? Mine came from ebay as well.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL RD. Thanks everyone, I posted the pics for Circe as I am notoriously bad with the camera. I am sure these are well cut single cuts, they sparkle in the dark which is crazy. :love: Also confirmed none are chipped. One has an inclusion visible with the 10x. I am surprised at my luck. I was just experimenting to see if I would like platinum as I don't have any platinum pieces. I'd set a budget of $350 and expected only a plain band, but stumbled on this one instead. I couldn't resist a little bling with my experiment. :bigsmile:

Now, I am on the hunt for a .50 ct OEC to be set as a solitaire in platinum to go with the band. But that's harder to find in the bargain world!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I just got two tiny single cuts (4 mm each). They are lovely for smaller stones and I find them less "busy".

The china sellers on ebay use single cuts for their settings.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, great find there for that price for sure!!! I swear ebay is good for things like that if you are patient. I got my ring for just over $100. Good luck looking for a half a carat. I did find some in platinum in a similar setting to mine (sans side stones) at one point, but I was actually looking for WG when I did my hunt and that was harder to find. I can't guess when the ring was made, but as a reference mine was estimated to be from the 1930s.

CharmyPoo I didn't realize that the Chinese sellers on ebay used them as well. Do you know if they are well cut? Like I said I am really a big fan of them and if they aren't expensive I wouldn't mind them for a fun piece now and then.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
lyra said:
I just received a platinum and diamond band I won on ebay. How can I tell if the diamonds 7 x .03 are single cut? When I look at them through the 10x loupe, there is a very simple facet pattern, not sure how to describe it, but far less facets than the same size melee in my Bev K rings. They sparkle like *crazy* although I think one might be chipped. I'm thinking they might be single cuts. Does it sound like it?

These are what well cut single cuts look like.

concaveversusantique.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
clgwli said:
CharmyPoo I didn't realize that the Chinese sellers on ebay used them as well. Do you know if they are well cut? Like I said I am really a big fan of them and if they aren't expensive I wouldn't mind them for a fun piece now and then.

After the other thread .. I have no idea what you perceive as well cut so I am hesistant to answer this question. Do they sparkle? Yes. These aren't expensive settings so you get what you pay for (well ... better than what you pay for in my opinion).

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
clgwli said:

After the other thread .. I have no idea what you perceive as well cut so I am hesistant to answer this question. Do they sparkle? Yes. These aren't expensive settings so you get what you pay for (well ... better than what you pay for in my opinion).
I admit that really felt a lot like an insult there. Just because I like a certain type of stone doesn't mean I don't like well cut for that type. I either like crushed ice or I like a stone with broader flashes and for small stones single cuts really do a better job of that IMO. At least the ones I have and I wouldn't mind owning more. They are hard to find here unless in vintage pieces and finding a good one is not always easy.

If you have a seller your recommend please share.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
clgwli I think Charmy just means that the two of you likely have different definitions of "well cut", which seems a fair comment after reading both of your comments in varuious threads. So she thinks she cannot tell you if they are well cut or not, because her estimate might not match yours.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, you are right and we already talked about it on another thread. I would've edited that post if I could have. I feel bad for it now, but I think I understand what she meant now :)

So others disregard my comment. I totally didn't get it at first.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
clgwli said:
Dreamer, you are right and we already talked about it on another thread. I would've edited that post if I could have. I feel bad for it now, but I think I understand what she meant now :)

So others disregard my comment. I totally didn't get it at first.

:))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DD. You understood me perfectly. I frequently reply on my blackberry or during a short break - my choice of words aren't always top knotch :cheeky:

I am not a mean person by nature (although on occasion, I have been passive aggressive - this isn't one of them).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As an aside, clgwli, do you know how I say your name in my head? "CL-Wiggley" :cheeky:

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
As an aside, clgwli, do you know how I say your name in my head? "CL-Wiggley" :cheeky:
Funny on another forum I have been given the nickname squiggly so very close to that :lol:

My username is the first two letters of three beloved pets, so everytime I type in my username I think of their names. I honestly did not think of how it would be read when I came up with it. I was kind of being incognito when I came up with it and now I kind of wonder if I should've picked something that was a real word or name.

Charmy, I hear you on typing on Blackberries. I was always so much shorter in responses when I typed on mine. And like you what I said wasn't always the best choice. Those keyboards are nice, but not the best for real good replies. I switched phones and find that my new keyboard is slightly better, but still I am best on my laptop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results