shape
carat
color
clarity

Similarities/Differences between past and current wedding sets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pure curiosity here...

If you've had more than one wedding set in your life, what are the similarities of the two (or more)? What are the differences?

If the old set was from a now-dissolved marriage, did you consciously choose a different style/stone shape/metal to set the rings apart from each other? Or did you choose something similar because the set you had before was just your taste?

Please feel free to post 'visual aids' as well - that would make the thread even more interesting!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been married for a very long time, my first e-ring was set very high & def not the best diamond nor my style, [no plans to change it] but I do wear the plain band daily
30.gif

I own several sets, all different, from 18k/plat/14 wg & yellow gold, some smaller than others, dif shapes....no real reason for this other than my addiction, plus my taste has change over the years.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YG was the color choice of the 80''s but now most are in white metal. YG will make a come back soon.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My first e-ring from 1994 was a 3/4 ct marquise solitaire in yellow gold. I had several bands and wraps to go with it, but the main wrap I wore with it had two 1/4 ct marquise stones that sat on each side of the center stone, and 2 rows of tiny little diamonds. The main stone got cracked in an accident, and I replaced the whole set with a 1.32 ct ACA rb in a bead set white gold band, with bead set eternity band. My marquise wasn''t a great quality stone and didn''t sparkle much, but I happily wore it for 12 years. (I still have the broken stone in my jewelry box!) I knew when I replaced it that I wanted a stone with maximum sparkle, so that''s why I picked the ACA round brilliant.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:59:08 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
YG was the color choice of the 80''s but now most are in white metal. YG will make a come back soon.
No, DFire, I wasn''t asking about trends (which I am certainly aware of)... I was asking about specific examples of choices that people have made differently or the same between different wedding sets, if they''ve had more than one.

For example, someone may have had an antique-style platinum wedding set for their first marriage, and while they love(d) that style, they wanted to do something different for their next marriage to set it apart - be it a different stone shape, a different metal color, a different design genre (art deco/modern/pave/etc.).

OR someone who truly loves RB three-stone rings and yellow gold, and they''ve had more than one wedding set of that type because nothing else will do.

I wanted peoples'' specific experiences/examples/thoughts, as opposed to general references to design trends.

35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 9:51:11 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/3/2009 8:59:08 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
No, DFire, I wasn''t asking about trends (which I am certainly aware of)... I was asking about specific examples of choices that people have made differently or the same between different wedding sets, if they''ve had more than one.

For example, someone may have had an antique-style platinum wedding set for their first marriage, and while they love(d) that style, they wanted to do something different for their next marriage to set it apart - be it a different stone shape, a different metal color, a different design genre (art deco/modern/pave/etc.).

OR someone who truly loves RB three-stone rings and yellow gold, and they''ve had more than one wedding set of that type because nothing else will do.

I wanted peoples'' specific experiences/examples/thoughts, as opposed to general references to design trends.

35.gif
not different,but a BIGGER rock !!!
9.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock

I guess I can reply as I have different sets.

So the first one is an OMC diamond set in a princess channel setting with round pave diamonds on the sides. So, it''s three sides basically. It''s in 18kt. white gold and about 3 mm. wide. The diamond is set in a 6 prong setting. The matching band is exactly the same. I got that when we were married about 7 years. I would take a picture but the ring is stuck in my jewelery box. It fell behind the ring roll and I can''t figure out how to take it out!

23.gif

The second one is a three stone ring, designer brand(Simon G), in platinum, with 4 prong center round brilliant ideal cut diamond. The side stones are trillions and on the knife edge are round pave diamonds and it has milgrain. I wear it with a very thin pave band, but I just won the matching band on ebay, so now I will have the real matching band.

I also have a nontraditional sapphire Ritani endless love ring (I guess it could pass for an e-ring as many people have sapphire e-rings and many people have the endless love ring). It has the halo of pave diamonds around the sapphire and on the band and it is the only one that would be considered an eternity. I had the matching bands, but wear it now with a thin milgrain diamond band that is a tiny bit wider than the e-ring because I like that you can see a difference between the two bands.

Lastly, I have a T&Co. wedding set. It''s the traditional 6 prong tiffany knife edge setting with the matching band.

They are all similar except for the Tiffany one in that they all have pave. They are all similar, except for the Ritani one, in that they are all prong set. They are also similar because they are round stones.

They each have a different look though.

2.gif

Oh, I am getting a marquise diamond three stone ring, so that one would be different just because of the shape of stone, at least I think I am getting it, still undecided.....

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is the simon g one.

pictures from pink canon 2797.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the ritani one.

pictures from pink canon 456.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture I posted a long time ago of the my first set...

originalt.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Okay, last one and the most precious one. This is such a sweet ring and the ring I wear most. I had a hard time finding the old pictures I posted!

tiffany set.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable did a thread a while back called Show me your upgrades from engagement to present ring, if you''re interested. Here are my 2 sets I posted in there. I''m leaving out reset gone wrong, as it only lasted for a few weeks.
14.gif

Original set, just plain and simple, because we were short on cash and I couldn''t make up my mind what I wanted anyway, LOL!

GDBeforeSK.jpg

They are similar in that I still have a solitaire, and the metal color is still white. It''s palladium now, instead of WG.

gdblingyay2.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My first set was YG solitaire, 0.21 ct with matching wedding band. My second was platinum, 1.5 ct with sidestones and no additional wedding band. What they had in common was both are clean and classic, and had very nice diamonds. Both stones are F VS2 quality and well cut. It''s always been about having a sparkly stone for me, and the style of the setting was secondary.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No similarities what so ever! My first set was a .33ct round solitaire in YG. First upgrade was to a 1.62ct princess solitaire in YG which morphed to a three stone and last upgrade went to a 2.52ct FLY radiant halo with tapered side stones.

Here''s my original set......

cmsorig11.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the first upgrade post morphing.....

cmswr102.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the last.........

cmswedset20.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:06:18 AM
Author: Catmom
And the last.........

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

YELLOW LUSCIOUSNESS!

I love that pic.

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK I'll play!

1.88 ct very dark blue sapphire
16 x rb melee ctw = .60
14k Yellow gold shank, white gold head.

Foo157.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
2.04 ct unheated sapphire cut by Jeff White (JEFF WHITE ROCKS)
2 x pears ctw = .65 ct
8 x rbs ctw = .72
18k yellow gold shank, platinum head
Setting by WhiteFlash

ETA: oops, pic is giant. sorry!
ETA#2: those are water spots on the sapphire: the photoshoot was interrupted by rain!

Musey, to answer your original question: I wanted my new ER to be similar to the original, but updated (and upgraded, of course). It was made to replace the original that I lost (actually, I threw it in the garbage by mistake).
LS

Foo158.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I LOVE that pool of BLUEBERRY LUSCIOUSNESS! I could just jump in and swim forever in that pool!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:58:05 AM
And I LOVE that pool of BLUEBERRY LUSCIOUSNESS! I could just jump in and swim forever in that pool!
tee hee and it's already WET!

mini threadjack: Catmom, do you have a thread on your band? Is there a pic showing it in profile relative to the ring? I'd like to see how it fits against the ER.
LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 10:01:42 AM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 2/4/2009 9:58:05 AM
tee hee and it''s already WET!

mini threadjack: Catmom, do you have a thread on your band? Is there a pic showing it in profile relative to the ring? I''d like to see how it fits against the ER.
LS
Here''s the link, LS https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oh-coatie-check-out-this-stacking-band.85730/
9.gif

Sorry for the threadjack musey!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks CatMom. I have to do something about my WB as it''s just about toasted....
LS
(sorry Musey, we just got yakkin''!)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any pictures of the engagement ring I was given during my first engagement, when I was 20. I ended up not marrying the guy, but the diamond was a badly cut .28 ct. princess cut, set on the diagonal, in a plain 4 prong yellow gold setting. The wedding band we had picked out was a wrap with a baguette on either side.

I''d say that the only similarities between a past and present wedding sets were the fact that they were solitaires, and that they were square diamonds.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, so far at least, I''ve kept my original diamond, but my first setting was a very delicate shared-prong band from Facets, and it just wasn''t sturdy enough (it kept breaking and/or the diamond fell out a couple of times). I realized I was too hard on it to have such a delicate setting with the diamond so exposed, so I got it re-set into a three-stone, with round sides, but kept the delicate Facets half-eternity wedding band.

Then, I lost a ton of weight, and my ring size went down by almost 2 full sizes. My original w-band couldn''t be resized that much, so I kept it for sentimental value (but never wear it) and got a Whiteflash shared-prong eternity band, slightly more substantial - that''s what I now wear with my e-ring on a daily basis
1.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My first wedding set from my DH was a Blue Nile platinum princess cathedral solitaire with a matching plain 3mm band. For our first wedding anniversary, he got me a BN .50ct princess channel band. My setting got damaged and then I sold my diamond band and my son lost of 3mm plain band
40.gif
I''ve had various upgrades and setting changes that I don''t feel really count because none were permanent until now.

My new set is my 1.33 round diamond into a Blue Nile platinum pave cathedral with a matching band. I should be receiving it tomorrow! I also bought a 2.5mm comfort fit flat/pipe-cut platinum band from e-weddingbands.com to wear with the pave engagement ring (like emeraldlover1''s set) when I don''t want to wear such a blingy set. I''m very happy and relieved to finally have a permanent home for my diamond and a forever set to wear!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
OOOO I love this thread!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I''ll play!
2.gif
I still have the same diamond (2.1 ct OEC) but have set it into a new setting. I was trying for vintage and was obsessed with split and double shanks in the first setting but I never really loved it. So, I got my second setting that is a vintage repo and I LOVE it. I will eventually upgrade to an antique cushion so I guess my trent is vintage.
9.gif

First setting:

lbfirstering.jpg

Burk

Ideal_Rock
And my new setting:

lbresetpic.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for sharing! It''s so interesting to see/hear about these things.

Lost Sapphire, I don''t think I''ll ever get tired of staring at your beautiful sapphire ring. It''s just absolutely luscious. I love the story behind it, too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results