shape
carat
color
clarity

Sidestones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
aahh thankyou
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another suggestion:
If you don''t want a thickish bezel, perhaps an octoganal bezel is better? I don''t have a picture but I''m sure you have seen the antique round stones here on PS that are set in such bezels. Wait a minute...I take that back, I don''t think they are really bezels (it''s a bead set with a bezel). Forget it.
14.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 8:05:34 AM
Author: mrssalvo
maisie, it''s going to be beautiful. I''m so happy for you...
Ditto!

Do you have your eye on a stone yet?
27.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 10:50:45 AM
Author: Chrono
Another suggestion:
If you don''t want a thickish bezel, perhaps an octoganal bezel is better? I don''t have a picture but I''m sure you have seen the antique round stones here on PS that are set in such bezels. Wait a minute...I take that back, I don''t think they are really bezels (it''s a bead set with a bezel). Forget it.
14.gif
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 1:25:14 PM
Author: Ellen

Ditto!

27.gif
Well kind of...... I have seen an I SI1 which I like - its .78ct Expert Selection from WF. Its a bit early for me to buy it so it may go before I get a chance. I would probably buy it if its still there and eye clean when I am ready to go.

On another note - I tried some rings on today in a local B&M store. The platinum looked really grey. When I see photos on PS it looks lighter. I don''t know whether to just go with yellow gold ..........
40.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 4:23:49 PM
Author: Maisie

Well kind of...... I have seen an I SI1 which I like - its .78ct Expert Selection from WF. Its a bit early for me to buy it so it may go before I get a chance. I would probably buy it if its still there and eye clean when I am ready to go.

On another note - I tried some rings on today in a local B&M store. The platinum looked really grey. When I see photos on PS it looks lighter. I don''t know whether to just go with yellow gold ..........
40.gif
oooh, I can''t help you, I wear WG. Hopefully some platinum wearers will chime in...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think WF would be annoyed with me if I don''t go ahead with the custom design? Nothing has been done - no money paid or anything. I feel really confused right now about what I want and I don''t know what to do. All that has been done is a quote. I know I will use WF regardless of which design I want but I think I need some more time to decide.

I am really irritating myself!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 4:35:21 PM
Do you think WF would be annoyed with me if I don''t go ahead with the custom design? Nothing has been done - no money paid or anything. I feel really confused right now about what I want and I don''t know what to do. All that has been done is a quote. I know I will use WF regardless of which design I want but I think I need some more time to decide.

Of course not Maisie. It''s not easy deciding, take your time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 4:37:04 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Yup.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock

Maisie, I don''t know if you have read any of my threads but I was irritating myself, too, trying to decide on a setting. I had become so obsessed that I just sucked all the joy out of what should be a fun and exciting process. I was missing my favorite TV shows, not eating dinner, staying up too late, and, most importantly, losing special time with my bf because I was glued in front of the computer. Of course this will sound ridiculous coming from me, but I agree with Kaleigh, just take your time. Over the past few days I have forced myself to limit my "ring research" and, you know what?...I feel better! It has made a big difference. As I was reading your emails all I could think of was , "That is so-o-o me". I don''t want you to get as frustrated as I did. So "don''t do as I do, do as I say do, young lady!"
9.gif
Take your time...Good luck in finding exactly what you want. I wish you the best!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 8:15:17 PM
Author: dianne

Maisie, I don''t know if you have read any of my threads but I was irritating myself, too, trying to decide on a setting. I had become so obsessed that I just sucked all the joy out of what should be a fun and exciting process. I was missing my favorite TV shows, not eating dinner, staying up too late, and, most importantly, losing special time with my bf because I was glued in front of the computer. Of course this will sound ridiculous coming from me, but I agree with Kaleigh, just take your time. Over the past few days I have forced myself to limit my ''ring research'' and, you know what?...I feel better! It has made a big difference. As I was reading your emails all I could think of was , ''That is so-o-o me''. I don''t want you to get as frustrated as I did. So ''don''t do as I do, do as I say do, young lady!''
9.gif
Take your time...Good luck in finding exactly what you want. I wish you the best!
Thank you Dianne. Its good to know its not just me feeling this way. I do spend ages reading stuff on here and looking at settings.... it can drive you mad!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Maisie,

You''re not alone in wanting to find the perfect setting. What was perfect for me for one onth was not necessarily perfect for me another. This is what I did...

I had a huge folder on my computer of different settings (three stone and solitaire) that I went through on a regular basis. I first wrote out what I liked about solitaires and then what I liked about 3 stones. I love solitaires but every time my boyfriend and I went shopping to try on rings, we both kept going back to three stones. Once I narrowed it down that way, I wrote out what I liked about the 3 stone rings in my folder. What I ended up deciding on was a trellis setting (because I really love swoopy prongs). Then I had to decide whether to go with round stones for the sides or another shape. I''ve seen many rings with all rounds and although I love them, I wanted something a little different. I found myself going back consistently to the rounds with pear sides, like Kaleigh''s, and that''s how I decided.

I actually found the ring matching what I wanted on a jeweler''s website. We love what they do and I got a quote from them, but I ended up going with WF because of the price (not a huge difference in price but enough, in our opinion). I''m so excited, and yes, nervous as well. I hardly ever buy something online, so it''s still funny to me that we ended up going that route for my engagement ring.

It can drive you crazy but take your time, think about what you like in different types of settings, and eventually it will come to you. Sorry to be so long-winded!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

maisie, it's going to be beautiful. I'm so happy for you...
Ditto!

27.gif

On another note - I tried some rings on today in a local B&M store. The platinum looked really grey. When I see photos on PS it looks lighter. I don't know whether to just go with yellow gold ..........
40.gif
Check the finish on the platinum. I prefer a high gloss finish which makes the metal appear whiter. A more satin finish looks greyer. About every year or two, I take my ring in for a good polishing up which makes it all shiny and white again.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 12:25:39 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Hi Maisie,

You''re not alone in wanting to find the perfect setting. What was perfect for me for one onth was not necessarily perfect for me another. This is what I did...

I had a huge folder on my computer of different settings (three stone and solitaire) that I went through on a regular basis. I first wrote out what I liked about solitaires and then what I liked about 3 stones. I love solitaires but every time my boyfriend and I went shopping to try on rings, we both kept going back to three stones. Once I narrowed it down that way, I wrote out what I liked about the 3 stone rings in my folder. What I ended up deciding on was a trellis setting (because I really love swoopy prongs). Then I had to decide whether to go with round stones for the sides or another shape. I''ve seen many rings with all rounds and although I love them, I wanted something a little different. I found myself going back consistently to the rounds with pear sides, like Kaleigh''s, and that''s how I decided.

I actually found the ring matching what I wanted on a jeweler''s website. We love what they do and I got a quote from them, but I ended up going with WF because of the price (not a huge difference in price but enough, in our opinion). I''m so excited, and yes, nervous as well. I hardly ever buy something online, so it''s still funny to me that we ended up going that route for my engagement ring.

It can drive you crazy but take your time, think about what you like in different types of settings, and eventually it will come to you. Sorry to be so long-winded!

Zoe thank you for taking the time to post this. I really do feel better knowing I am not the only one who is struggling to choose a setting.

The really weird thing is, that before I found PS I would have just picked anything. I had no clue about jewellery and its amazing just how many things you need to take into account. I''m glad I found PS but its made my life more difficult lol!

I too seem to be jumping between solitaire and three stone. I love them both! I wish I could make up my mind.

I''m glad you have sorted your setting out. I can''t wait to see it!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 12:33:44 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Ditto!

27.gif

40.gif
Check the finish on the platinum. I prefer a high gloss finish which makes the metal appear whiter. A more satin finish looks greyer. About every year or two, I take my ring in for a good polishing up which makes it all shiny and white again.

Thats the thing - I chose high gloss finish rings to try and they were really dull grey. I really didn''t suit them at all. They didn''t even look silver colored at all. I know platinum isn''t as white as silver but it should look lighter than it did in the store. I wonder if there is a ''cheap'' version of platinum..... I mean could it be alloyed with a cheaper metal which makes it lose some of its whiteness.
40.gif

Until I got married I always wore silver. I have a yellow gold wedding ring and engagement ring and I love them but when I have seen PS members platinum sets they look amazing.... Its confusing me as to why platinum looks dull grey over here! This is one of the rings I tried:

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/4165721/N/55+92/

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I think I have heard that a cobalt mix will produce a greyer looking finish. I have a whiteflash ring in plat. Maisie. It is beautifully shiny silvery. It is a great color. I don''t think that people could tell the dif in color between it and wg. I love the color of it.

shay

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just checked again and my platinum pieces are very, very close to silver in color. Sterling with a few days of tarnish is visibly greyer than my platinum ring. I agree there must be something different about the platinum mix. My sister and her husband had the same reaction as you when they were ring shopping...they said the platinum bands were an unattrative grey in color, and they didn''t understand why anyone would want that look. So they ended up with white gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results