Side stone size - what do you think?

What size rb side stones?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PearNut

Rough_Rock
My pear center is approx 8.5 x 5 - what do you think for the side stones & band - the custome setting with be similar - not exactly - the side stones will be tipped (not straight) and with a different gallery.

Should I go with .20 or .25 each on the sides & band?

swoop.jpg

PearNut

Rough_Rock
oh yeah - its a 1ct pear

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly I don''t think it''s much difference.... I''d go smaller to make your main stone pop more.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Cehra
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
20 or 25 points...not that much of a difference really.
1.gif

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Well it is a big difference in $$$ - when I saw them loose I thought the .20 looked so small! Do you think they will be too small in the band? I think they will be fine in the e-ring and will definitely make the center pop a bit more. I guess thats why I want them tilted a bit.

I''m afraid if I go with the .20, in a year or so I will have - what is it that y''all say? Shrinking diamond syndrome? Wishing I would have gone bigger - because I only want to do this once and I don''t want to have any requests or wishing I should have........but I also don''t want to take too much away from the center because I think its beautiful!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m biased...I like to do everything I can to make my center stone pop. But that''s why I have itty bitty 2 pointers in my ring and nothing else. So personally I don''t think I would fret in a year if I went with .20 ct stones as opposed to .25. How significant a $$$ increase are the .25?

PearNut

Rough_Rock
The difference ended up being around $500-700 - unless he was padding the custom price in the diamond price - that was the only change I made and the price went up that much.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original E-ring has a .25 ct diamond in it. I will try to attach a pic of it, not a good one but just so you can see its not so tiny in a setting
1.gif
(My finger is about a 7)

Picture 360.jpg

PearNut

Rough_Rock
I''ll try to attach a picture of my original setting - granted the diamond is loose and I just placed in back in (that''s why it may look strange ) So - with the size of my center (which I''ve been told actually looks larger than 1ct) do you think .25 would be too big?

I''m actually hesitant to go back and change it again because he got 5 stones .20 each in and he thought they would be perfect but I just thought they looked too small......that''s the problem when you do custom - I would rather have just tried in on and said ''yup - this is it!)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a chart that shows the different sizes for diamonds. You can get a better idea of the difference between .20 and .25

diasizechart.jpg

PearNut

Rough_Rock
THis is actually someone elses ring I found on PS = what size do you think her side stones are? She didn''t specify.

7777720907.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:23:00 PM
Author: PearNut
THis is actually someone elses ring I found on PS = what size do you think her side stones are? She didn''t specify.
the only problem with the larger side stones is they can drown out your center stone. I have seen my 2.7 carat stone drowned out by side stones... and you hate to have a stone that makes you say "where is it" HOWEVER - I also know that some people really don''t care too much if their center stone pops but would rather just have a mess of bling all over and that''s great too!

If *I* were going to set a pear I''d do it the way firegoddess did (which you *used* to be able to see in her avatar haha nudge nudge), but that''s only one way and it''s not the "right" way - it''s just a preference thing. Do what you love!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 12:31:42 PM
Author:PearNut
My pear center is approx 8.5 x 5 - what do you think for the side stones & band - the custome setting with be similar - not exactly - the side stones will be tipped (not straight) and with a different gallery.

Should I go with .20 or .25 each on the sides & band?
I didn''t read it all the way through - I should have voted "other" and not .2 LOL

PearNut

Rough_Rock
where can I see Firegoddess'' setting?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:49:10 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
If *I* were going to set a pear I''d do it the way firegoddess did (which you *used* to be able to see in her avatar haha nudge nudge), but that''s only one way and it''s not the ''right'' way - it''s just a preference thing. Do what you love!!
LOL Cehra.
2.gif

Pearnut, did you look at the 0.20 ct rounds by themselves and say ''they''re too small'' or did you see them next to a stone your size?

This is a scanner shot of my ring. The itty bitty guys around it make it look enormous IRL, moreso than it looked without them.

FGpearher8.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another picture.

fgpear798.jpg

PearNut

Rough_Rock
BEEEEEautiful!!!!!

I saw them by themselves.........not in a setting. Now I don''t even know if he still has them because I asked him to get the .25''s in and he did. If there really isn''t that much difference - should I just stick with the .25?

I was actually more concerned that the wb would be too small with three .20''s.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:23:00 PM
THis is actually someone elses ring I found on PS = what size do you think her side stones are? She didn't specify.
Pearnut, I found the specs on that picture you posted.

The center pear is 2.10 ct.
The big rounds are 0.35 ct each.
It belongs to diamondjunkie.

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Hey - thanks for finding that! So the sides are about 16-17% of the center.

If I did the same proportions = 1.0 x 17% = .17

maybe I should ask him to see both the .20 and .25 next to one another, feel foolish now.....wanting bigger I guess but I want to ''showcase'' my diamond but I also want the ''bling'' too!

What do you suggest I do?

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
lol my custom jeweler and I just went like 6 emails over side porportion. THe only way I know to really decide is have him set them next to each other and take pics.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 8:11:05 PM
Author: Officers girl
lol my custom jeweler and I just went like 6 emails over side porportion. THe only way I know to really decide is have him set them next to each other and take pics.
If at all possible, this is the best thing to do. That''s originally why I asked if you had seen the .20 ct stones by themselves or next to a stone of your size. Seeing them together really is the best way to go.

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone - I guess that is exactly what I will have to do - when he has the wax completed he is going to insert the .25''s and my center stone - I guess at that point if I feel they are too big, at that point I can ask for the .20''s to see the diff.

Or should I make the decision before the wax is created? If a change is necessary - will it be an easy one to make - or difficult because I am going with a trellis gallery instead of the U''s shown in the sample.

I suppose I need to call him eh?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:15:40 PM
honestly I don''t think it''s much difference.... I''d go smaller to make your main stone pop more.
I agree
emteeth.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 8:27:31 PM
I would tell him you''re floundering about the sidestones, that you would like to see a picture of the .25 stones next to your pear. He can put them in a tray and show you. I would think he wouldn''t have to cast a new wax for .20 versus .25 sides, but you might as well tell him you''re flip flopping and would like to see a pic of the choices in a tray so you can definitively decide.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 7:07:33 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 2/9/2007 6:49:10 PM
If *I* were going to set a pear I''d do it the way firegoddess did (which you *used* to be able to see in her avatar haha nudge nudge), but that''s only one way and it''s not the ''right'' way - it''s just a preference thing. Do what you love!!
LOL Cehra.
2.gif

Pearnut, did you look at the 0.20 ct rounds by themselves and say ''they''re too small'' or did you see them next to a stone your size?

This is a scanner shot of my ring. The itty bitty guys around it make it look enormous IRL, moreso than it looked without them.
what are your melee sizes again fg? 1 pointers for the band and 1.5 pointers for the halo? I''m planning to use 1.5 pointers in mine... 1 is too small and while i kinda want to go to 2 I know that I really just want an accent and not a row of side stones. oop sorry for the side street lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 8:27:31 PM
Thanks everyone - I guess that is exactly what I will have to do - when he has the wax completed he is going to insert the .25''s and my center stone - I guess at that point if I feel they are too big, at that point I can ask for the .20''s to see the diff.

Or should I make the decision before the wax is created? If a change is necessary - will it be an easy one to make - or difficult because I am going with a trellis gallery instead of the U''s shown in the sample.

BEFORE the wax - otherwise the spacing between the stones will be off.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:51:30 PM
Well it is a big difference in $$$ - when I saw them loose I thought the .20 looked so small! Do you think they will be too small in the band? I think they will be fine in the e-ring and will definitely make the center pop a bit more. I guess thats why I want them tilted a bit.

I''m afraid if I go with the .20, in a year or so I will have - what is it that y''all say? Shrinking diamond syndrome? Wishing I would have gone bigger - because I only want to do this once and I don''t want to have any requests or wishing I should have........but I also don''t want to take too much away from the center because I think its beautiful!
The stones will look slightly larger when set by the way. Not a huge difference...but slightly larger in my opinion. I think either the .20 or .25 would look very nice, either will make the center stone pop and is well-proportioned. If it were me, I''d save the money and go for the .20s.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it sounds like you want the bigger ones. why are you trying to talk yourself into the smaller ones? rhetorical question don''t answer...
1.gif

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Ladykemma - you are right - I want the bigger stones but I don''t want to take too much away from my center stone.

Someone at work has a 5 stone set that I tried on (and covered two stones to see only three) and hers were all .23 and I thought it was beautiful. But, I''ve done all this without my center stone.

I guess I should ask him if he has both and if I can see them in a setting near my side stone. He said - if you go smaller you may say in a year - I wish I went bigger (he saw my hesitation but actually was trying to convince me that they would look much bigger in a setting) but he joked that if I went bigger - would I be questioning in a year that I should have gone smaller?

The poll results are interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results