shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2 from Fay Cullen - Large Black Inclusion.. What to do??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
I am new to these forums only finding out about them from a friend AFTER my husband purchased me a new ER from Fay Cullen in the US (I am in Sydney Australia).

My husband purchased a 1.01ct H SI2 in an antique setting from Fay Cullen, which is stunning. Only problem is I was assured that the stone was eye clean from one of the employees before it was sent but now that it''s here it is most definitely not. I could live with almost any inclusion except the big black variety that really stand out at you even from a distance, which is what this one is.

A few questions..

I paid $4500 US for the ring (which also has 22 tiny little diamonds in it as well) but am wondering what a more realistic price would be taking the very visible inclusion into consideration (I''m just after a rough idea, obviously you guys can''t value it).

What is the policy in the US for returning faulty items which aren''t what they''re supposed to be?

Could any of you live with a diamond with a visible black inclusion? It seems to be the first part my eye is drawn to every time I look at it.

Any other advice for me??

Getting the ring back to the US is an expensive process and I know FC''s return policy isn''t great. If we return it and they don''t want to accept liability we are $800 out of pocket.

A link to the ring is here..

http://www.faycullen.com/antique_engagement_rings/800/e602r4d.html

I''m wondering if I should ask for a discount on the stone and just live the inclusion??

What does everyone think??

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Welcome ChaserGirl! Sorry to hear you are not happy with your new ring, but to be honest, I wouldn''t be happy with a big ole thonking black inlusion either! Do you have it in writing (email) that the stone was eyeclean?

It sounds like you aren''t going to be able to live with the inclusion which is totally understandable, and you shouldn''t have to if you were told it was eyeclean. Did that specify how eyeclean, at what distance, in what lighting etc?

I would start by contacting them and explaining you are not happy accepting the ring as it''s certainly not eyeclean and that you wish to start return proceedings. Don''t ask them, just state this and be firm. I am sure if you are firm and polite, they will be happy to come to the party, especially as they sold you goods that are different to as described, which I am sure is illegal as it is here in Oz.

As far as the import duties you paid etc, you can contact customs for a refund. You will need the recepits, paperwork etc, but you can get this money back, as you will have to pay it all again when they send you a new ring (if that''s what you chose to do), so you don''t want to have to pay all those taxes again (damn taxes taking away from our ring budgets!!
38.gif
)

Good luck! I really hope you can get this sorted out! And in the meantime, how about some piccies of your ring to tide us over
2.gif
We promise to excuse the inclusion
2.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Wow I just checked out that link and that ring is stunning. But! Is that your actual ring in the photos? Is that the inclusion in the centre of the table, looks like a big black edged cloud (ok, not always very eloquent with my words but you get the idea). If so, I can''t believe they told you that was eyeclean!! Surely not?!

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

My husband is pretty sure he has the email from FC in his inbox at work assuring us that the ring has no visible inclusions. It actually has several and I can live with all of them except the one right near the surface of the diamond. It is quite big and noticable!

We will call them tonight. 9am in Miami is 11pm in Sydney so that makes it difficult. Right about the time FC are shutting up shop for the day we are getting out of bed.

The ring in the photos is the one i''ve been sent. To be honest, the photos don''t do it justice. It is stunning. The setting is a little bit wonky and off centre but I honestly don''t mind because I like things that aren''t always perfect. We weren''t sure when looking at the photos whether there was an inclusion or not hence the reason we asked.

I keep looking at it hoping the inclusion will just disappear.. But it doesn''t. So disappointing.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Sweetie! How disappointing. I would be so bummed out. The setting is truly divine though, but that inclusion would bug me.

I really hope you can track down that email and contact them for a refund. (If not in the inbox, you might be able to contact your ISP and they may be able to get you another copy of that email off their server, I know it''s been done for me before).

Keep us updated!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

It looks as if the inclusion is reflecting in the diamond, what a pretty ring though! I would contact FC if you want to return it ASAP, explain the situation and see what they say.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 4:37:15 AM
Author: honey22
Welcome ChaserGirl! Sorry to hear you are not happy with your new ring, but to be honest, I wouldn''t be happy with a big ole thonking black inlusion either! Do you have it in writing (email) that the stone was eyeclean?

It sounds like you aren''t going to be able to live with the inclusion which is totally understandable, and you shouldn''t have to if you were told it was eyeclean. Did that specify how eyeclean, at what distance, in what lighting etc?

I would start by contacting them and explaining you are not happy accepting the ring as it''s certainly not eyeclean and that you wish to start return proceedings. Don''t ask them, just state this and be firm. I am sure if you are firm and polite, they will be happy to come to the party, especially as they sold you goods that are different to as described, which I am sure is illegal as it is here in Oz.

As far as the import duties you paid etc, you can contact customs for a refund. You will need the recepits, paperwork etc, but you can get this money back, as you will have to pay it all again when they send you a new ring (if that''s what you chose to do), so you don''t want to have to pay all those taxes again (damn taxes taking away from our ring budgets!!
38.gif
)

Good luck! I really hope you can get this sorted out! And in the meantime, how about some piccies of your ring to tide us over
2.gif
We promise to excuse the inclusion
2.gif

Big ole ditto to this, the ring is beautiful but the inclusion would bug the begebas out of me.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it is a pretty ring
Just to throw in something silly...the black inclusion you see couldn''t actually be an opened culet, could it?
40.gif

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
What''s an open culet?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
THat''s too bad about the inclusion because otherwise the rest of the ring is a stunner!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Black inclusions are where I draw the line personally. They''re just too darn noticeable. It looks like you can even see it in the picture.

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
Definitely not a culet. Am about to call Fay Cullen.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2008 8:40:24 AM
Author: ChaserGirl
Definitely not a culet. Am about to call Fay Cullen.
Please keep us posted.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yikes, how disappointing. It''s a gorgeous, gorgeous ring, I hope Fay Cullen will work with you on this. Keep us in the loop!

Good luck!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That sucks! The ring is really beautiful but I wouldn''t be happy with black inclusions either. And I wouldn''t call that eye clean. Could you exchange it for a ring with a different stone. I know they do exchanges. The fees are going to add up going back and forth it''s true but it might be worth it.
Keep us updated.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
ChaserGirl, I'm sorry you're dealing with this...A few comments after looking at your ring on the Fay Cullen website:

1. Your ring appears to be a reproduction, not an authentic antique. When they describe a ring as "Edwardian style" that almost always means it is a repro, not a real antique - otherwise it would be described as "Edwardian", full stop.

2. If I'm seeing the photos correctly, that stone is also not an antique or even an antique "style" stone. It appears to be cut as a modern round brilliant, nothing antique about the faceting (no chunky monkey faceting) and no open culet in the center.

3. Fay Cullen does have an awful return policy however, it is not worth keeping this ring if you wanted a real antique ring/stone, and/or if you are unhappy with the center stone. That stone looks very very included. I can see clearly a half circle of black carbon inclusions and to me, that's at least in the I2 clarity range, not an SI2...

I'd try to return it and start over. If you only lose $800. on this so be it. Better that then the several thousand it cost you, yes? If it bothers you now, it's going to continue bothering you as time goes on. Good luck. And if things do not go well, you might want to let the folks at Fay Cullen know you're a PS member...

ETA: So in summing up, they have misrepresented the age of the ring (it's not antique), the actual cut (it appears to be a modern RB), and the clarity of the stone. I think that's enough misrepresentation for them to take it back. And good enough reason for people here to not buy from them either.
38.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
In Fay Cullen''s description it clearly states that you can order that setting, and that it is Edwardian "style", it also says the diamond is a "Modern" round brilliant.

Their bad customer return policy and definition of eyeclean aside, I do not feel that they have misrepresented the ring as a true antique?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 12:40:01 PM
Author: purrfectpear
In Fay Cullen''s description it clearly states that you can order that setting, and that it is Edwardian ''style'', it also says the diamond is a ''Modern'' round brilliant.

Their bad customer return policy and definition of eyeclean aside, I do not feel that they have misrepresented the ring as a true antique?
PP, you''re right, I didn''t see the modern RB in the first read. However, the OP seems to be under the impression that this is an antique ring, and it is not. And using the word "style" is a bit vague. She should state that it is " a reproduction in the Edwardian style". That''s clearer, IMO. Either way, there is no way that stone is an SI2.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with FC. I have heard on here their return poliicy is P for poor.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t try to live with the ring because ultimately I don''t think you''ll be happy with it knowing the inclusions are there. Even if you had to take a hit on the price I think you''d be happier starting over again with a company with a better return policy and more information about their stones. Since you have an email stating the stone is eye clean and it''s not, you have a good case to get a full refund and if they don''t want to give it to you there are other measures you can take.

Good luck!! When all of it is over with I would suggest checking out whiteflash.com and goodoldgold.com. They can create settings similar to the one you liked and have more information about their stones. They also have a *full* return policy and also a trade up policy as well if you ever change your mind someday.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing productive to add here. Just wanted to say that I thought the use of the term "style" (as in "antique style" or "Art Deco style") was acceptable to denote a reproduction. I have seen multiple jewelry vendors use this.

Anne

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 1:33:38 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Good luck with FC. I have heard on here their return poliicy is P for poor.

ditto. i wouldn''t buy from them on that reason alone.

did you pay by credit card? if so, you can always dispute the charges and get a refund that way since you were told the stone was eye-clean and it''s not. if you paid cash/check I''d probably try hard for the full refund. if they won''t, I''d probably take the $800 loss and start over. it would be very hard b/c that''s a lot of money but better than having a ring that I was unhappy with.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had a problem before with fay cullen. When we called to let her know they wouldn''t acknowledge a fault. There was no way to get our money back either since we were international and did a bank transfer. I hope that their customer service has improved in the past couple of years for you sake.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a shame, I am sorry that this is your situation. I agree, the ring is beautiful but the black inclusion would bother me a lot. I hope that FC is willing to work with you on this. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
I completely understand that the ring is only an antique replica and am happy with this aspect of my transaction.

We have emailed FC overnight and received a reply. She has basically said that we can return the ring if we aren''t happy with it though she doesn''t believe us about the inclusions. She didn''t confirm that this would be at our expense but we are assuming this will be the case.

We have emailed her back to confirm this (I am going to be very upset if this is what she wants as we have done nothing wrong so therefore shouldn''t be out of pocket) and also suggested she may like to replace the stone at her expense (this would be my preferred option).

I will take it to a local jeweller today and just confirm that it isn''t an SI2, i''m 99% certain it isn''t and even if it is, we were assured it was eye clean.

The other black inclusions in the ring I could live with - they are very hard to find and the ring would need to go under very close scrutiny by a friend or relative to be discovered. This other one however, is not.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has any advice on the rights of the consumer when purchasing faulty goods in the US I am all ears.

ChaserGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much fieryred!! That is exactly what I was after. I''ll just see how the negotiations go and keep it up my sleeve.

It is very difficult dealing with Fay Cullen from Australia as she opens up shop at 11pm our time and closes at 8am, so we have to catch her just before we head to bed or as soon as we wake up.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck - I know it''s more $$$$, but they say you can upgrade the center stone - how about apporaching them on that front?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any other updates, Chaser?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results