shape
carat
color
clarity

SI1 diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
Dear experts,

Can anyone give me some idea how a diamond has no inclusion under the GIA report and it is graded as SI1?
The following the the info of the diamond:

1.01 Carat
Depth: 61.1
Table: 55
Cutlet: None
Polish: VG
Symmetry: EX
Clarity: SI1
Fluorascence: NONE
Color: G

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see the original report? Or did you see a scanned copy on the web? Or was it a Xerox copy?

Many times, unless it''s the original, the scanned or Xeroxed copies will have a harder time showing the inclusions as the original report marks them in red and red ink doesn''t always show up in copies...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... and some lab reports just come with the clarity plot blank and need to be sent back for a reality check.

Also, it could be that the SI grade was given for something that is not usually drawn on the plot. In this case, there should be some comment on the lab report. Is there such a thing ?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Probably a bogus scanned report. While we're on the subject I generally take the plots with a grain of salt anyhow as they can not communicate the amount of relief the inclusion causes in the stone (black inclusions in white diamonds = high relief while lighter inclusions = low relief). Darkfield illuminated photos are best to judge clarity as they highlight even the tiniest pin points within a stone like the graphic below.

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
It is a copy of the report and I think that''s the reason I can''t see the inclusions. I asked the sales about the inclusion and the sales agent said one of the inclusions in this diamond is a white feather located in the crown, and one small white pinpoint in the table.

Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s a darkfield graphic for reference. Ok ... so it is a scanned report. I hate scanned reports as they always don''t let you see what''s actually going on within the stone and also doesn''t show whehter these are surface breaking inclusions or not. If you can get a darkfield shot that will help tremendously and show just how noticeble or not the inclusions are.

Peace,

DSCN56s13.jpg

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
It is a very helpful information, I will ask the sales to see if they can give me a darkfield shot of the diamond and see if I can post it here.
Thanks.
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That''d be excellent jice. If you''d like an idea of what to expect in SI1 clarities, pm me and I can link you to photomicrographs of SI1 clarites taken under darkfield illumination (identical to the illumination used in gemological microscopes for clarity grading) for a reference.

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
I just talked to the agent to request for a darkfield shot and they said there is a $35 charge for taking the pictures. Does it make sense?

Rhino - thanks for your offer and I greatly appreciate that.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2005 1:54:57 PM
Author: jicedivine
I just talked to the agent to request for a darkfield shot and they said there is a $35 charge for taking the pictures. Does it make sense?
Time is money. Yes. Some places like NiceIce (and others) provide this data up front without having to pay so you may want to explore all your options before pulling the trigger. BTW .... how is the cut on this stone? If its a pooper you may not want to waste any time or money having pictures taken of a stone with stank brilliance. Before you invest any other funds into gaining information about this stone let''s see some basic Sarin data so we can at least make an initial judgment whehter this is worth investigating further or not.

Peace,

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
Are you talking about if it is ideal, very good,.. or the angles of the crown, pavilion, etc?
thanks.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
A Sarin report will give all pertinent information on the diamond's cut: crown and pavilion angles, table %, girdle measurements, etc. Unfortunately, GIA does not provide this info on their certs. From this info, you will be able to gleen whether or not this diamond has the potential to be a good performer. From the little info provided, it looks like it might be nice. Good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
jice yes..that additional information will come from a Sarin report and will tell us a bit more about the cut. As rhino noted, if the cut stinks then you may not want to look at the stone any further and not require a darkfield image...but if it''s still lookin'' pretty good then paying $35 for the images would be worth it. have them run a sarin. Good luck!

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much guys.
I''ve just requested for the Sarin report and hopefully they will email to me next week. =)

Sincerely,
Jicedivine

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
Dear guys,
Here is the Sarin report, any comment is greatly appreciated.
sarin.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ok....now I'm *really* suspect of this vendor.

Where did that graph come from? I ask because this graph looks like it was derived from an AGS grading report, and the diamond you mentioned above is a GIA report......this information wouldn't be reflected on the GIA report that way.

I've never seen Sarin information expressed in a graph this way. Doesn't mean it isn't, but I've never seen it that way.

I have to tell you that I'm suspect on this one. There is NO information on that graph that identifies it belongs specifically to *that* diamond you mentioned above. It doesn't say "1.01, G, SI1, GIA #xxxxxx". That graph above could belong to *any* 1 ct. diamond. It looks to me like someone is trying to pull a fast one.

Experts? Does this look right to you?

Jice, it's your call, of course, but I personally wouldn't waste my time with a vendor that's so difficult to get meaningful information from. There are a ton of great vendors here and elsewhere who can give you the data you need without hesitation and without charging you $35 for clarity pictures!

jicedivine

Rough_Rock
I agree with you. The report is actually upon my request. However, I was disappointed after I opened the report because it seems the sales doesn''t really take my seriously. I think I will pass this diamond and look for other dealer at the same time.
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Jicedivine

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Sarin Reports

The new Sarin Diapro PROFESSIONAL software version is capable of rendering several reports some contain far less information than others. Also their are different Sarin models. The Dia Pro Professional software is capabe of report the angles, percentages of every individual facet.

Then there are dealers who say they are getting you Sarin reports but actually supply OGI, Megascope reports which are not done the same way Sarin instrumentation does. Sarin holds the patent, and although their are other equipment manufacturers that attempt to achieve the same thing, you need to consider that the other reports may not be as accurate as the Sarin.

There is talk that the Helium unit is more capable of accuracy than the Sarin, but I don''t have any experience with the unit. The variance of the Sarin is pretty minimal so relying on the Sarin information is reasonably proper.

I have had stones come in here that have Megascope reports, and sometimes there are variances that skew all the percentages since the percentage are expressed as a result of the measurements made by the machine.

Rockdoc

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2005 3
6.gif
9:14 PM
Author: RockDoc
RE: Sarin Reports

The new Sarin Diapro PROFESSIONAL software version is capable of rendering several reports some contain far less information than others. Also their are different Sarin models. The Dia Pro Professional software is capabe of report the angles, percentages of every individual facet.

Then there are dealers who say they are getting you Sarin reports but actually supply OGI, Megascope reports which are not done the same way Sarin instrumentation does. Sarin holds the patent, and although their are other equipment manufacturers that attempt to achieve the same thing, you need to consider that the other reports may not be as accurate as the Sarin.

There is talk that the Helium unit is more capable of accuracy than the Sarin, but I don''t have any experience with the unit. The variance of the Sarin is pretty minimal so relying on the Sarin information is reasonably proper.

I have had stones come in here that have Megascope reports, and sometimes there are variances that skew all the percentages since the percentage are expressed as a result of the measurements made by the machine.

Rockdoc
Good information, to be sure.....but regardless of the measuring device, don''t these reports generate table of numbers?

What I''m saying is, I don''t recall any of these devices generating a printout that looks EXACTLY like the graphic used on the AGS grading report as the way to express the figures.

To me, that appears suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results