shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Spouse won't wear rubies for this reason. But she has a pretty little purple star!

Purple star sounds so pretty! I would love to find a purple star, but they must be somewhat rare.
A translucent gemmy star of any shade is beautiful, just the densely included ruby ones like my large one I don’t care for.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple star sounds so pretty! I would love to find a purple star, but they must be somewhat rare.
A translucent gemmy star of any shade is beautiful, just the densely included ruby ones like my large one I don’t care for.

I also dream of a lovely purple star someday! I need to take up the search again. I took a detour of other gems recently, but stars remain closest to my heart!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I also dream of a lovely purple star someday! I need to take up the search again. I took a detour of other gems recently, but stars remain closest to my heart!

It sure is easy to be enthusiastic about so many different gems!
Not sure if anyone else follows this IG account but they always have some temptingly beautiful stones.
I saw this in early June.
3C36132B-7E4F-4192-AC04-EB9A1092F70E.jpeg

I tried on an interesting star a couple weeks ago. I’d say it was Merlot colored, not exactly purple.
It had a certain appeal, but the color didn’t mesh with my skin tone. And it was more included than translucent.
It’s always fun to hunt though.
CD27AF04-1220-4D28-AC31-93529B34B6C2.jpeg 30295769-A940-48E0-B3AC-5D8BCD69C3F8.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure is easy to be enthusiastic about so many different gems!
Not sure if anyone else follows this IG account but they always have some temptingly beautiful stones.
I saw this in early June.
3C36132B-7E4F-4192-AC04-EB9A1092F70E.jpeg

I tried on an interesting star a couple weeks ago. I’d say it was Merlot colored, not exactly purple.
It had a certain appeal, but the color didn’t mesh with my skin tone. And it was more included than translucent.
It’s always fun to hunt though.
CD27AF04-1220-4D28-AC31-93529B34B6C2.jpeg 30295769-A940-48E0-B3AC-5D8BCD69C3F8.jpeg

Oh yes, that seller has such great images!! I’m with you, the hunt is great, I appreciate seeing many of the wonderful setting designs of previous decades too. Really makes it interesting to observe how a particular star was paired with a particular setting. I love how that merlot star looks like it was dropped into a center, with icy drops spraying out around it.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, that seller has such great images!! I’m with you, the hunt is great, I appreciate seeing many of the wonderful setting designs of previous decades too. Really makes it interesting to observe how a particular star was paired with a particular setting. I love how that merlot star looks like it was dropped into a center, with icy drops spraying out around it.

Yes! I was intrigued by the setting.
It had a planetary feel. I’ll bet there is a whole school of design specific to stars and their settings, especially for antique settings.
I have a moonstone ring that to me references the moon (the main stone), the sky and the stars. One day I’ll have to share it in a moonstone thread.
I love imagining what the designer of a setting was thinking when they designed for a special stone.

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
233D6C59-0C45-408A-931F-E421645E924E.jpeg Just broowsing today...,I found this adorable star wedding set! The star is almost a perfect sphere. They were likely used quite a bit in wedding jewelry before the reign of diamonds....if I had been a young woman in 1910, I would have been thrilled to get this lol!

Goodness! I want this wedding set!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
One of my rare work from home days and decided to get out my little fella of a purplish star sapphire.

20200720_165009.jpg

I don't think I would get as much work done....I would keep looking at my hand. :) Beautiful!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are just FABULOUS! Do you get stopped by admirers? I would probably gawk at your hand, drool a little and then finally gin up the nerve to ask you about these beauties. I can't believe that you don't have constant compliments!

Thank you for the wonderful compliment! I do get some questions, especially about the larger one . They are a lot of fun to wear when nothing small will work!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
Antique Edwardian over 20 carat star ruby and diamond ring.

413F0E28-6C3B-4D64-96B5-19C7D83DEA58.jpeg C8643B8A-E36D-43F5-B5DB-3CF9272DF6DA.jpeg F3D6EBF6-322D-4011-B7F5-7B352F04053A.jpeg

Woah! That is huge! Edwardian jewelry always has such interesting details-the shoulders look like scrolls or ribbons of diamonds. I wonder who wore it...an heiress or the wife of a wealthy merchant? Its gorgeous. In one respect I wish star sapphires would get the love they deserve, but then again I hope they don't so the prices don't go even higher!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
Here’s one of my star sapphires. I love the color but I worry that the setting is manly. I got it at a flea market (like most of my finds), so if something speaks to me (and the price is right) I have to pounce. This one was less 600 and a very heavy 14k gold setting

7385A05E-4A3C-42BA-86B8-26F0E2CAF858.jpeg 33097A7A-51F0-4B8B-AB84-9F206660686F.jpeg EEE8A1CF-51DF-4E7E-AF4B-276D214819C0.jpeg

I love the setting and the stone. I would have snapped that up too! Personally, I am happy the super dainty thin and tiny bands are starting to thicken up and get heavier. I am rough on my jewelry and 6 feet tall so I appreciate a heavier setting. This stone is such a gorgeous color! Great find!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
The star stones in this thread make me seriously envious, especially the beautiful translucent star rubies. My double star sapphire is not in that league, but it’s interesting. The ordinary (moving) star is above, the fixed star below, centred on the black inclusion. The rays of the fixed star light up according to the angle of the light. If other people have double stars or 12-rays, I would love to see them. DoubleStarRing.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is still one of my favorite threads on PS, I often come back and oogle at everyone's gorgeous gemmy cabs.

Well today I came along this gorgeous art nouveau antique pendant & for a great deal also so I had to have it. Lavendar & lilac stars will also always have my heart as well so it had my name written all over it!

It's a 9x7mm lavendar star Sapphire cabochon set in 14k yellow gold Antique setting with a 2mm old cut diamond. ❤️

s-l400 ddx(1).jpg
s-l400 dxx(1).jpg
s-l40vc0 (1).jpg

Even though the seller doesn't state it, I believe from this picture of the back of it that it was once apart of an antique stick pin but was soldered off and a newer bale was placed on.

Either way, they did exactly what I would have done & I cannot wait to wear it!

s-l40dxc0 (1).jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is still one of my favorite threads on PS, I often come back and oogle at everyone's gorgeous gemmy cabs.

Well today I came along this gorgeous art nouveau antique pendant & for a great deal also so I had to have it. Lavendar & lilac stars will also always have my heart as well so it had my name written all over it!

It's a 9x7mm lavendar star Sapphire cabochon set in 14k yellow gold Antique setting with a 2mm old cut diamond. ❤️

s-l400 ddx(1).jpg
s-l400 dxx(1).jpg
s-l40vc0 (1).jpg

Even though the seller doesn't state it, I believe from this picture of the back of it that it was once apart of an antique stick pin but was soldered off and a newer bale was placed on.

Either way, they did exactly what I would have done & I cannot wait to wear it!

s-l40dxc0 (1).jpg

Ooohh! I love it!
It looks like little octopus arms holding the stone!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ooohh! I love it!
It looks like little octopus arms holding the stone!

It does, doesn't it?
The setting is definitely part of its charm! It looks like it's almost tension held? I'm not sure but I adore it. Hopefully it's as equally charming in person (:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The star stones in this thread make me seriously envious, especially the beautiful translucent star rubies. My double star sapphire is not in that league, but it’s interesting. The ordinary (moving) star is above, the fixed star below, centred on the black inclusion. The rays of the fixed star light up according to the angle of the light. If other people have double stars or 12-rays, I would love to see them. DoubleStarRing.jpg

This is just amazing to look at - could you share more pics of it?
I just bought a pale star sapphire in white gold and can't stop staring at mine. Yours is absolutely gorgeous and the setting is incredible! It's like vintage and futuristic at the same time. Amazing.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
This is just amazing to look at - could you share more pics of it?
I just bought a pale star sapphire in white gold and can't stop staring at mine. Yours is absolutely gorgeous and the setting is incredible! It's like vintage and futuristic at the same time. Amazing.

Thank you, PreRaphaelite. It’s one of my favourites. (Hence the scratched setting…) It’s a lightshow. The fixed star is stuck on the surface, while the moving star seems to dance above it. In the photo with both stars coincident, you can see the zoning centred on the inclusion.

The (custom) setting makes a virtue of necessity. The stone is a flattish topped cab, so it has to be gripped high up. The curves avoid a ‘wall of metal’. I think of it as extreme belcher.

Do post your new star. White, grey and pale stars may rank low in the hierarchy, but I love them. A white/grey/pale stone in a white setting gives a very ‘clean’ look.

DoubleStarGrowth.jpg DoubleStarInclusion.jpg DoubleStarProfile.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, PreRaphaelite. It’s one of my favourites. (Hence the scratched setting…) It’s a lightshow. The fixed star is stuck on the surface, while the moving star seems to dance above it. In the photo with both stars coincident, you can see the zoning centred on the inclusion.

The (custom) setting makes a virtue of necessity. The stone is a flattish topped cab, so it has to be gripped high up. The curves avoid a ‘wall of metal’. I think of it as extreme belcher.

Do post your new star. White, grey and pale stars may rank low in the hierarchy, but I love them. A white/grey/pale stone in a white setting gives a very ‘clean’ look.

DoubleStarGrowth.jpg DoubleStarInclusion.jpg DoubleStarProfile.jpg

May I ask if you would share who made the setting? It is a triumph.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
May I ask if you would share who made the setting? It is a triumph.

A local (small B&M, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) jeweller. I would have to talk to them before giving the name. The manufacture is standard CAD/cast, it's the design that's special. Me being a guy, there usually aren't off-the-shelf settings, or even standard concepts, for the stones I buy. So everything is one-off. We work together on concepts that respect the stone. If you like the design, feel free to be inspired by it.

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
@LemonMoonLex The color and glow of that star are wonderful, so mysterious, and the warm gold it's nestled in matches the center stone so well. Love the sinuous geometry wrapping around the diamond and sapphire, too.

@Starstruck8 I really admire your strong star and its "extreme belcher" mounting! What a unique statement the channels on either side and the claws make with the doubling of the star! Wow.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It's almost like a dragon's claw and that's wonderful with the movement of the star.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@LemonMoonLex The color and glow of that star are wonderful, so mysterious, and the warm gold it's nestled in matches the center stone so well. Love the sinuous geometry wrapping around the diamond and sapphire, too.

@Starstruck8 I really admire your strong star and its "extreme belcher" mounting! What a unique statement the channels on either side and the claws make with the doubling of the star! Wow.

Thank you, you described it so perfectly!

I received it in person & am completely enraptured by it. I cannot believe that I hesitated.

The color is a true lavendar in person, or even lilac. The hexagonal rutile structure can be seen & only creates more visual interest in the stone & the transparency is beautiful. Based on the fact that sapphire is a denser mineral, id make an educated guess that at 9x7x6mm that it's about 3-3.5cts. It's really a lovely star sapphire of a lovely size & color.

The little old cuts puffy crown can be seen when turned to the side and although the bail, which I presume was later put on, is stamped 14k, I believe the actual piece to be higher as it's very buttery.

These are pictures I took very quickly of the piece, zero staging happened and it still photographs lovely! I am really enamored with it & cannot imagine myself ever selling her ❤️

IMG_20210529_190738523.jpg IMG_20210529_190815177.jpg IMG_20210529_190837332.jpg IMG_20210529_190900867_HDR.jpg IMG_20210529_190934435.jpg IMG_20210529_190953447.jpg IMG_20210529_191354765.jpg IMG_20210529_191406246.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cool! Can you get a shot of the star?

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, you described it so perfectly!

I received it in person & am completely enraptured by it. I cannot believe that I hesitated.

The color is a true lavendar in person, or even lilac. The hexagonal rutile structure can be seen & only creates more visual interest in the stone & the transparency is beautiful. Based on the fact that sapphire is a denser mineral, id make an educated guess that at 9x7x6mm that it's about 3-3.5cts. It's really a lovely star sapphire of a lovely size & color.

The little old cuts puffy crown can be seen when turned to the side and although the bail, which I presume was later put on, is stamped 14k, I believe the actual piece to be higher as it's very buttery.

These are pictures I took very quickly of the piece, zero staging happened and it still photographs lovely! I am really enamored with it & cannot imagine myself ever selling her ❤️

IMG_20210529_190738523.jpg IMG_20210529_190815177.jpg IMG_20210529_190837332.jpg IMG_20210529_190900867_HDR.jpg IMG_20210529_190934435.jpg IMG_20210529_190953447.jpg IMG_20210529_191354765.jpg IMG_20210529_191406246.jpg

So pretty, @LemonMoonLex ! The color and translucence of the sapphire are really beautiful!
And that setting makes such an interesting, intriguing frame for the stone. It has a serpentine feel. Enjoy!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Really cool! Can you get a shot of the star?

So I've never had a star sapphire like her but for whatever reason she doesn't show her star in direct sunlight, and only does with a strong overhead single light source like my phone flash/flashlight. & She shows her star at nighttime under my single dim bedroom light, so I'd say she has a shy star ❤️

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new 16 ct unheated GIA certified blue star sapphire ring! I have been looking for a big clear blue one with a great star for a long time. It is set in platinum with diamonds. It was made in exactly my size (5.75) and I knew it was meant for me the moment I saw it! No filter or editing.

20210605_165046.jpg 20210605_170916.jpg 20210605_170543.jpg
20210605_170448.jpg 20210605_170707.jpg 20210605_170829.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results