color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PisftKZ - Imgur.jpg
rVFFbPt - Imgur.jpg
Sorry for the crappy phone pictures, I really have been looking for my camera but I cannot seem to find it. Also, waiting for the sun to finally shine took a long time! I am loving my star, it's like magic! :)
It looks amazing...very magic indeed. Just gorgeous!:razz:

voce

Ideal_Rock
PisftKZ - Imgur.jpg
rVFFbPt - Imgur.jpg
Sorry for the crappy phone pictures, I really have been looking for my camera but I cannot seem to find it. Also, waiting for the sun to finally shine took a long time! I am loving my star, it's like magic! :)
We love your star too! :love:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C7B25D59-B8CD-4F9E-B72C-673FD492BA0F.jpeg
An interesting ‘dark star’ with purple and a slight sheen in it. This would be great for the darker months...I’ve seen polish colors like this.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely vintage like setting.
For red star rubies this size and colour, they can still be found today. You could replicate it if you really wanted to. I can't see how sharp the rays are on the 2 side cabs though. Even the middle one I'd have loved to see more angles with the star.

I tried rummaging round vintage shops, flea markets, pawn shops and high street jewellers this trip. Can't find any stars nor decent jewellery! Harrods' jewellers excluded from the list :razz:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely vintage like setting.
For red star rubies this size and colour, they can still be found today. You could replicate it if you really wanted to. I can't see how sharp the rays are on the 2 side cabs though. Even the middle one I'd have loved to see more angles with the star.

I tried rummaging round vintage shops, flea markets, pawn shops and high street jewellers this trip. Can't find any stars nor decent jewellery! Harrods' jewellers excluded from the list :razz:
I was thinking that too...that maybe I could collect 3 and have this style made. I will probably not find a larger star ruby with size and quality which I can afford in the future unless I get super lucky with a vintage piece. The hard part is still finding 3 similar enough ruby stars for a ring! But, maybe doable....

I guess the nicer vintage things are also harder to come by these days...I’ve noticed that recently inventories are filled with 1970’s pieces, but few styles from other eras, and often not in great condition. There are a few stores with nice inventories, but with high prices to match. Sigh..,,

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10A5A47F-B2AF-41A6-AAFC-BA17460984C4.jpeg 9D59105D-6AB4-4E19-BBC7-EAB3239AC28C.jpeg 969C9CF0-080E-4EF6-9123-6F27305C4497.jpeg 39D1F683-8C82-475E-A247-BB94B59A13EE.jpeg 011D23D0-1419-45C9-9103-A720F74E8806.jpeg
Here are some additional pictures of it..,,the rubies seem a little purple, but seemed to have nice translucence. The pictures tell little about the asterism.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F7D74AF2-5B59-4A51-8225-68ABF38E6120.jpeg C3FEAEE8-3E4F-41ED-89A7-24E6A2865337.jpeg
So, I purchased this unheated , Burmese star ruby after some some deliberation. It has yet to arrive. It’s almost 5 carats. If it’s as I Hope it is, It will have to be custom set...but now that I think of setting styles, it’s overwhelming. Normally, I love reds with yellow gold, but when I think of wearing it with the other star sapphires which I have, it maybe too warm, so maybe gold prongs and platinum. I might not wear it with the other stars at all though..sigh I just don’t know. Here are some inspiration rings though...

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone has any loved star ruby ideas, please share!

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
If anyone has any loved star ruby ideas, please share!

Ooh, it looks lovely! I always think that stars really suit an art deco style setting, I think because they always make me think of that era and the super glamorous stars of the time. Here are some of the inspiration rings I'm looking at for setting my star sapphire.
IMG_0879_master.jpg IMG_3364.jpg eme1_3000x3000_master.jpg 061.jpg DSCN7598_master.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, it looks lovely! I always think that stars really suit an art deco style setting, I think because they always make me think of that era and the super glamorous stars of the time. Here are some of the inspiration rings I'm looking at for setting my star sapphire.
IMG_0879_master.jpg IMG_3364.jpg eme1_3000x3000_master.jpg 061.jpg DSCN7598_master.JPG
These are all gorgeous! Thank you. I especially love the second one and the last one. I think of that time period too. Somehow the styles work so well with the asterism. I was thinking that a design with some side diamonds, or a larger pair of side diamonds (but not as large as in the inspiration pics I posted) would give it more width because it’s around 9 by 8 mm.

What do have in mind for your star? I have seen some amazing Art Deco settings with stars of all sizes and colors. I think it will be beautiful!

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
These are all gorgeous! Thank you. I especially love the second one and the last one. I think of that time period too. Somehow the styles work so well with the asterism. I was thinking that a design with some side diamonds, or a larger pair of side diamonds (but not as large as in the inspiration pics I posted) would give it more width because it’s around 9 by 8 mm.

What do have in mind for your star? I have seen some amazing Art Deco settings with stars of all sizes and colors. I think it will be beautiful!

Definitely something art deco style, organic shapes, lots of milgrain and engraving. Hopefully some small diamond accents. Probably unplated white gold. I'm hoping I can find a local jeweller to do it, but it's difficult to find who has the right skills. I'd rather not have to send it out because import duty is painful!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely something art deco style, organic shapes, lots of milgrain and engraving. Hopefully some small diamond accents. Probably unplated white gold. I'm hoping I can find a local jeweller to do it, but it's difficult to find who has the right skills. I'd rather not have to send it out because import duty is painful!
That sounds amazing!!!
I think that Art Deco styles work so well with stars because they provide a clear, geometric base for them. Since stars often have inclusions etc, eccentricities..the clear metalwork in Art Deco provides a great visual stage for the the uniqueness of each stone.

I completely understand. I will have to get this one made because the oval is not perfectly symmetrical. I’m wondering if I can get a local person to do it. My jeweler retired and others are so pricey and not used to making Art Deco styles, as far as I have seen. I will probably end up sending it out.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
That sounds amazing!!!
I think that Art Deco styles work so well with stars because they provide a clear, geometric base for them. Since stars often have inclusions etc, eccentricities..the clear metalwork in Art Deco provides a great visual stage for the the uniqueness of each stone.

I completely understand. I will have to get this one made because the oval is not perfectly symmetrical. I’m wondering if I can get a local person to do it. My jeweler retired and others are so pricey and not used to making Art Deco styles, as far as I have seen. I will probably end up sending it out.

So hard to find a jeweller who can do everything! I know one whose engraving is absolutely top notch (done work for the Queen! :eek2:) but I'm not sure about him fabricating the complex halo. I'm doing a simpler project with him at the moment, so I'll see how that turns out first. Here's the sapphire.
20181102_160027.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely blue and a great size and shape! Are you imagining white or yellow Metal? Maybe the jeweler have a portfolio of past halos which he’s done....that way you can see he skill level.

It is hard to find a jeweler who does everything. Now that my jeweler retired, so does a few custom pieces, and though she can do most things, she’s become just super expensive! There is another well known master jeweler from whom I’ve had a few things made, but he would be suited for an architectural, more modern look. I’m just not seeing that with the star ruby.

If I send it out, I’m thinking of 3...One of whom is David Klass. He seems to be able to do most things without being over the top pricey though I’ve not had direct experience with him. Another who I’ve admired for a while is Alistair Kelsey. He might be able to streamline an Art Deco style.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C3AD6525-8999-4873-A22A-05BFA038B1BD.jpeg
The setting of the star ruby is exquisite!
I am taken with it also. I like the widening effect on the sides with the gap that extends between the stone and the shoulders. If I were to set it in this way, I could maybe visually compensate for any slight assymettry in the stone...but I fear it might also emphasize it. Will have to see. Maybe it would be best served with a slight re shaping . But also I don’t mind assymetry if it can be used as an artistic design point, such as in this example....in which the asymmetrical shape is very strong.

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Such a lovely blue and a great size and shape! Are you imagining white or yellow Metal? Maybe the jeweler have a portfolio of past halos which he’s done....that way you can see he skill level.

It is hard to find a jeweler who does everything. Now that my jeweler retired, so does a few custom pieces, and though she can do most things, she’s become just super expensive! There is another well known master jeweler from whom I’ve had a few things made, but he would be suited for an architectural, more modern look. I’m just not seeing that with the star ruby.

If I send it out, I’m thinking of 3...One of whom is David Klass. He seems to be able to do most things without being over the top pricey though I’ve not had direct experience with him. Another who I’ve admired for a while is Alistair Kelsey. He might be able to streamline an Art Deco style.

I think white metal, the sapphire is a denim blue in most lights, so I think it will suit a cooler metal colour. I would go platinum, but I'm not sure the budget will stretch that far :oops2:. I love the setting for the ruby you posted!

It does look like Alistair Kelsey does beautiful art deco style, he's in Australia isn't he?

Are you thinking white or yellow for your ruby?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5AE115C9-86A2-4F51-B81E-D22BFD822647.jpeg 731E25CD-53A5-4279-8FBA-09BC9413D997.jpeg 133DC53C-4216-4DF6-928B-E4BDE920B831.jpeg 91876D2F-B25F-4D54-8777-FE96A19236F2.jpeg
Some other setting inspirations....never mind the colors.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think white metal, the sapphire is a denim blue in most lights, so I think it will suit a cooler metal colour. I would go platinum, but I'm not sure the budget will stretch that far :oops2:. I love the setting for the ruby you posted!

It does look like Alistair Kelsey does beautiful art deco style, he's in Australia isn't he?

Are you thinking white or yellow for your ruby?
Yes, he’s in Australia. Blue Sapphires are lovely in white metal and in yellow. I think white would be very beautiful with the color of yours.

I have no idea what color metal for the ruby. If I do something like the ruby setting above, then one color metal. But I really like the use of a touch of gold with more white metal too. Generally I love yellow gold, but have enough white metal pieces that it would tie in with. Also, a touch of yellow is so soft with reds. When it arrives, hopefully It will give me a better sense of what to do!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CF299F00-5492-45DD-929B-4F2D6E1EAE98.jpeg Star sapphire starring in a group shot (pun intended)

And making a guest appearance with a big garnet 586A2FDF-BFFD-409D-8677-D454CB20535C.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CF299F00-5492-45DD-929B-4F2D6E1EAE98.jpeg Star sapphire staring in a group shot

And making a guest appearance with a big garnet 586A2FDF-BFFD-409D-8677-D454CB20535C.jpeg
A beautiful lavender star! It seems that you can wear it with so many things effortlessly, and it has such a wonderful prescience. Thanks for adding it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results