shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Mogok chap has THIS many more cabs in progress!

IMG-8323e384ac50e3a0b26688fa46afbf0e-V.jpg
That’s exciting! They all look promising and of course, stars are so alive that each will have its own personality.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9219B155-9EB3-4F40-83DD-354AC4E261CF.jpeg

CBA2CD5A-B539-468A-AA4F-2F934786E10B.jpeg 678FAC71-7E71-4953-87FC-6A11F296F0BF.jpeg A pink and purple and deep purple/blue with a pink star. Seems that purples are available in india and in Africa....these ones pictured have a faceted under side, which creates interesting flashes into the stone. I guess a ‘buff top’ cut.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
9219B155-9EB3-4F40-83DD-354AC4E261CF.jpeg

CBA2CD5A-B539-468A-AA4F-2F934786E10B.jpeg 678FAC71-7E71-4953-87FC-6A11F296F0BF.jpeg A pink and purple and deep purple/blue with a pink star. Seems that purples are available in india and in Africa....these ones pictured have a faceted under side, which creates interesting flashes into the stone. I guess a ‘buff top’ cut.

These are PERFECT.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still waiting for my little white to arrive. When it does, I'll post pics. I'm a bit confused as to rarity. @Seaglow thinks they are, and you are having them practically drop out of the sky:???::lol:. Granted, where you live makes a huge difference...Nevertheless, I've really enjoyed you ladies having this nice conversation.

Edited to add: That little peachy star has stolen my heart.

I still think they are not common. A white without secondary color appears when mixed in a parcel in one or two pieces. And highly transparent less so. Even if assume that they are not sought after, if there is product in the mine, people will still get them and fashion them to cabs, same as the black star....they are abundant in Thailand at lower cost than other colors even if people seldom buy them.

In Sri Lanka, the silky whites are heated and they may turn blue so less chance that the whites will remain whites as blue has more demand and can be sold for more.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still think they are not common. A white without secondary color appears when mixed in a parcel in one or two pieces. And highly transparent less so. Even if assume that they are not sought after, if there is product in the mine, people will still get them and fashion them to cabs, same as the black star....they are abundant in Thailand at lower cost than other colors even if people seldom buy them.

In Sri Lanka, the silky whites are heated and they may turn blue so less chance that the whites will remain whites as blue has more demand and can be sold for more.
Thank you Seaglow for that info about the heating of whites. I did not know that. I’m inclined to agree with you on this issue. I think finding a clean white with even color, translucence and a good star all in one is not an easy task at all.Especially then above a few carats. Even finding whites...in any quality, I’ve seen far fewer than in blues, greys and pinks personally.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's really not easy finding a specific star sapphire. Even being here at source. Too bad the mine owners I know don't have stars in their mines!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Seaglow for that info about the heating of whites. I did not know that. I’m inclined to agree with you on this issue. I think finding a clean white with even color, translucence and a good star all in one is not an easy task at all.Especially then above a few carats. Even finding whites...in any quality, I’ve seen far fewer than in blues, greys and pinks personally.

Yes, the white geuda sapphires from Sri Lanka may turn blue. Here’s an article:

https://www.gemsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/HEAT-TREATMENT-Geuda-Sapphire-Sri-Lanka.pdf

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really not easy finding a specific star sapphire. Even being here at source. Too bad the mine owners I know don't have stars in their mines!
It really is a challenge lol! It it makes it more rewarding when we FINALLY find one!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sigh. I want them all, Bluegemz!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This antique snake ring just came in the mail today and the gorgeous blue sapphire has the tiniest bit of asterism! It represents the shedding of old habits and I just love it and plan to wear it 24/7 as a reminder. 20180402_153858_HDR.jpg t 20180402_162212_HDR.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This antique snake ring just came in the mail today and the gorgeous blue sapphire has the tiniest bit of asterism! It represents the shedding of old habits and I just love it and plan to wear it 24/7 as a reminder. 20180402_153858_HDR.jpg t 20180402_162212_HDR.jpg

Oh I love your antique snake ring :love: and I love the meaning behind it too.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C14E7F80-F48D-450F-B4CC-87074E8EE5FF.jpeg 7A013077-E318-4155-AB27-4E1480AD34CD.jpeg Star eye candy for today....I just LOVE the crystal in these light blue star earrings!

Beautiful and good enough to eat. Yummy.:lickout:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! You find the BEST things! I love that snake ring SO much!! Adorable and super cool. The sapphire is beautiful and mysterious. What a treasure!

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
Where do you all find your star sapphires? I don't typically see anything as nice as these posted here on pages I've seen. I love the look of a frosty dewdrop, but most I've seen are either opaque or obviously fake.

I am a crazy person who is looking break the mold and declare a star sapphire ring my wedding ring, but I'm looking for more options! I'm looking around and feel like, if I could find the right stone, I would have the ring custom made.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you all find your star sapphires? I don't typically see anything as nice as these posted here on pages I've seen. I love the look of a frosty dewdrop, but most I've seen are either opaque or obviously fake.

I am a crazy person who is looking break the mold and declare a star sapphire ring my wedding ring, but I'm looking for more options! I'm looking around and feel like, if I could find the right stone, I would have the ring custom made.

Welcome!! I love that you are considering a star for an engagement ring!

Personally, I have found my big star rings through vintage and estate sellers, simply because good stars with the right balance between color, translucence and asterism and size are MUCH more rare than other sapphires, with more plentiful examples in the past. The smaller ones I’ve found through Etsy and eBay. It seems that Supplies of stars were far more plentiful in the past then they are now.

If I were looking for a wedding ring stone, I would look at starruby, the gem trader, and permatastar just as a start (I’ve never purchased from them, so make sure a good lab report is included) off the top of my head...I’ll try to think of more.

For vintage/antique pieces, where you may well get a far larger and better quality stone for your money, I would look at ruby lane, first dibs, langs antiques, era gem and eBay if you know how to be safe on eBay. Good luck!

And please keep us posted! A star ring would make a FANTASTIC wedding ring! Honesty, if I were to do it over, I’d have chosen a star for my ring too for so many reasons.

Can you tell us more about what you are looking for?

Last edited:

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the detailed reply, Bluegemz! I'm actually considering the star sapphire ring in lieu of the wedding band, and on my middle finger. I already have a purple sapphire/alexandrite halo as my engagement ring. :) Super non-traditional I guess!

I am looking for around a 1cm oval, that's translucent, azure blue, ideally. I have a 5mm burma spinel cabochon ring that just glows, even in low light, the pink/reddish-pink is just delightful. I hope the star sapphire can be just as wonderful a performer in all light, with the benefit of the star in direct sun.

I'm not sure if all of that is realistic, but I've got some help from Yvonne who agreed to look into it for me. :) She's literally the best!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the detailed reply, Bluegemz! I'm actually considering the star sapphire ring in lieu of the wedding band, and on my middle finger. I already have a purple sapphire/alexandrite halo as my engagement ring. :) Super non-traditional I guess!

I am looking for around a 1cm oval, that's translucent, azure blue, ideally. I have a 5mm burma spinel cabochon ring that just glows, even in low light, the pink/reddish-pink is just delightful. I hope the star sapphire can be just as wonderful a performer in all light, with the benefit of the star in direct sun.

I'm not sure if all of that is realistic, but I've got some help from Yvonne who agreed to look into it for me. :) She's literally the best!

A star will change a lot depending on the light and whether the star is showing, but it will likely be really interesting. Personally, I love that aspect.
Good to hear you have Yvonne looking into it. You could also ask AJS gems and other vendors...here are 2 from AJS around 5k and under, slightly under 10mm.
CA92C7C1-5342-47AA-ADEC-E4F34B7CB5FB.jpeg 1E390CF2-65E6-455E-B453-C965066FD24F.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is something that came in the mail from Ebay today.
A white star sapphire in unmarked metal that I'm pretty sure is white gold. And diamonds!
The description did not mention what the metal was, and the stones were listed as CZ. I paid 29.99 plus shipping.
I only wanted the stone, and wasn't interested in the setting. But now that the stones tested as diamonds, I'm very happy!
img_20180707_142317291-jpg.636529
img_20180707_145840-jpg.636530

voce

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 Wow, what an awesome find! Very classic look all around. :geek2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Stracci! Amazing find! I really love the setting. It’s so open and flows. Awesome!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Stracci! Amazing find! I really love the setting. It’s so open and flows. Awesome!
Thanks @voce and @Bluegemz! I will have the metal tested to be sure, but I have a hunch that it's white gold. I love finding treasure on Ebay!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my star ruby. Probably considered very low quality for a star ruby but still very pretty. My daughter had it made for me when she was in India. The setting is silver with diamonds.

That's a beautiful ring, LisaRN you have a very thoughtful daughter!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Minous, thank you for your wonderful words! I have long wanted a career in jewelry, but have just collected and tried to educate myself. I always think about wanting to start a second career doing that because I just love it so much. Maybe somehow I'll finally get started this year. I'm grateful to be amongst other jewelry lovers here. It's kind of a rare thing actually, so it's like finding a tribe of people who share the same love. In life, no one around me, except for my youngest daughter, shares the same level of love for the fine art of jewelry design, and of natural gems as I do. Women like them, but don't LOVE them. Have you experienced this?

Bluegemz, I have no family members or friends who love fine jewelry as I do, so this is also a haven for me as well :)
Your star sapphire ring is just amazing, you are blessed in having beautiful hands and slender long fingers to show off your beautiful rings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, I have no family members or friends who love fine jewelry as I do, so this is also a haven for me as well :)
Your star sapphire ring is just amazing, you are blessed in having beautiful hands and slender long fingers to show off your beautiful rings.
Awe, thank you, @leslie1956 ! I’m so glad we can all ‘meet up ‘ here! It just makes jewelry and gem love so much more fun when it’s shared.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is something that came in the mail from Ebay today.
A white star sapphire in unmarked metal that I'm pretty sure is white gold. And diamonds!
The description did not mention what the metal was, and the stones were listed as CZ. I paid 29.99 plus shipping.
I only wanted the stone, and wasn't interested in the setting. But now that the stones tested as diamonds, I'm very happy!
img_20180707_142317291-jpg.636529
img_20180707_145840-jpg.636530

I bought a metal testing kit that came in the mail today.
The ring tests as 18k! I am thrilled!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a metal testing kit that came in the mail today.
The ring tests as 18k! I am thrilled!
Wow! Such a great find! I can’t believe the price you paid! You’ve got a great eye.:razz:

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
So glad I found this thread, there is so much wisdom in these pages :) Im in complete adoration of the beautiful gems here!

So thanks to you all, I've become obsessed with star sapphires (all sapphires actually) and am now on the hunt for one to set into a ring. Thoughts on this?
https://www.starruby.in/store/ceylo...gia-certified-unheated-sky-blue-star-sapphire
I was hoping some of the more seasoned guys and gals on here would be able to offer some advice. I love the moody blue grey colour though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results