shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW my fiance has a VERY similar star sapphire ring that was his grandfather's ring in yellow gold. I will have to post it when he gets home as it's locked in the safe now.. crazy. Was this a popular men's style?

Yes, this was a popular men's style.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
image.jpeg image.jpeg I had this ring for awhile now and just finally got a chance to take a few photos this evening. I had always wanted a violetish colored star sapphire and when I stumbled across this one (while on a mission looking for a rose cut diamond), I immediately contacted the seller....but it sold:(

The star isn't perfect but it's unheated, GIA certified, and just the right carat size and dome height, in a simple vintage platinum setting...so I was a happy camper when the seller emailed me back to let me know the previous buyer changed her mind. I didn't hesitate for even one second:) Love at first sight, and still loving it.

These photos were taken in the car. Pretty dark outside so the only light source is the camera flash...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg I had this ring for awhile now and just finally got a chance to take a few photos this evening. I had always wanted a violetish colored star sapphire and when I stumbled across this one (while on a mission looking for a rose cut diamond), I immediately contacted the seller....but it sold:(

The star isn't perfect but it's unheated, GIA certified, and just the right carat size and dome height, in a simple vintage platinum setting...so I was a happy camper when the seller emailed me back to let me know the previous buyer changed her mind. I didn't hesitate for even one second:) Love at first sight, and still loving it.

These photos were taken in the car. Pretty dark outside so the only light source is the camera flash...
I think it’s a beauty! Gorgeous setting, size and what a wonderful star. I love the proportions of it., and the
delicate violet . The Art Deco era stars sapphire rings were often and designed set so beautifully with a such a high level of aesthetic refinement . Your star is so perfect in that setting.

Last edited:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
image.jpeg image.jpeg
I think it’s a beauty! Gorgeous setting, size and what a wonderful star. I love the proportions of it., and the
delicate violet . The Art Deco era stars sapphire rings were often and designed set so beautifully with a such a high level of aesthetic refinement . Your star is so perfect in that setting.

Thank you Bluegemz for the kind comments!! I think so too! This stone, especially its color combined with the Art Deco setting is pretty delicate looking and that was the reason I went for it.
I have been following this star corundums thread and am learning a lot. The stone isn't perfect in a sense that I can see the inclusions at certain angles and the legs of the star aren't perfectly straight.... This was the first and the only star sapphire that I have ever seen in person. Seeing all your posts and photos of your beautiful rings and comments about star sapphires helped me decided that this stone looked natural:) Also the seller is highly recommended and trusted seller so I felt confident with the purchase.

Just want to show off...couple more pics of the ring under indoor lighting, no direct light source.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Apologize for the gigantic photos. Don't know how to shrink them once posted

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thank you Bluegemz for the kind comments!! I think so too! This stone, especially its color combined with the Art Deco setting is pretty delicate looking and that was the reason I went for it.
I have been following this star corundums thread and am learning a lot. The stone isn't perfect in a sense that I can see the inclusions at certain angles and the legs of the star aren't perfectly straight.... This was the first and the only star sapphire that I have ever seen in person. Seeing all your posts and photos of your beautiful rings and comments about star sapphires helped me decided that this stone looked natural:) Also the seller is highly recommended and trusted seller so I felt confident with the purchase.

Just want to show off...couple more pics of the ring under indoor lighting, no direct light source.
I think it’s pretty darn close to as perfect as a natural star can get! It took my breath away when I saw it. They all have a few characteristics which make them so special...like birthmarks. A star with that beautiful translucency, gorgeous color, super strong star( just enough silk, but not so much that it dulls the color and translucency), in that size, and set so tastefully is a very rare find indeed! I have always wanted a lavender star like yours, and it’s not easy to find them. I’m delighted to see more pics of yours because it’s an inspiration. Yours is a piece which has a ‘soul’ in my opinion. It’s so alive!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4E2EDA7F-FD3D-41AF-8593-5F4BDDA37F98.jpeg 255B2CB5-F7AB-4019-A6C3-45AFCE839142.jpeg Just for fun, I recently saw this Art Deco, very light lavender star. Another dreamy star ring for inspiration! I’ve been saving images of the Art Deco stars which I come across.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
72F02353-747A-4B5A-BB9B-BD1B48EB00F7.jpeg 534299D9-E82B-42E9-8AB4-A9086BAE26DE.jpeg D8CBAC29-F7F9-423B-A436-C0723D1B58F9.jpeg And 2 more Art Deco pieces. One is a massive 64 carats, and while it’s missing a leg, it still has wonderful personality!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the suggestions for finding star sapphires. Mine came today. I am not sure about it. The main thing is if it will fit in the setting. According to the Natural Sapphire Company it is the correct dimensions. I am feeling hoodwinked.

IMG_20180205_075232.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the suggestions for finding star sapphires. Mine came today. I am not sure about it. The main thing is if it will fit in the setting. According to the Natural Sapphire Company it is the correct dimensions. I am feeling hoodwinked.

IMG_20180205_075232.jpg
Well that is disappointing! The stone itself has such a beautiful silvery look, but they mislead you about proportions. That’s just so sloppy of them ! I’m sorry Vesper. You WILL find a great star for that beautiful ring, I just know you will.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, I am going to see if it will fit. I think it looks like fish scales and it is growing on me. You are right, they are sloppy. I sent a nice email about the buying/shipping issues and it was totally blown off. Oh well. On and up!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, I am going to see if it will fit. I think it looks like fish scales and it is growing on me. You are right, they are sloppy. I sent a nice email about the buying/shipping issues and it was totally blown off. Oh well. On and up!
It does look like fish scales! It’s very beautiful so I’m hoping it fits. Would go very beautifully with the diamonds and metal. I’ve never seen such a metallic star aside from the black golden sheen stars. So unusual.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Late to the party, but I just collected my new 20180213_182245-1.jpg 20180213_181945-1.jpg 20180213_182001-1.jpg rings today, including my first star sapphire ring.
It’s beautiful and I love the setting! How many carats is it? It looked oks like a nice size. Can you tell us about your other rings too?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party, but I just collected my new 20180213_182245-1.jpg 20180213_181945-1.jpg 20180213_182001-1.jpg rings today, including my first star sapphire ring.
It’s lovely! Beautiful size, color and star. Really love the setting proportions to the stone. Looks fabulous on your hand. I think star rings are just so much fun to wear, because they are always changing. The slightest light awakens a ray or two within them. And when light is full, they explode with the star! It’s delightful.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s beautiful and I love the setting! How many carats is it? It looked oks like a nice size. Can you tell us about your other rings too?

Thank you, it's between 9 and 10ct. I'm really so stoked with it! Would love a larger one but they come in small sizes these days as the mines are depleted. Most are opaque too.

The rest are a 1.01ct reddish pink ruby (smallest), an included red spinel in the simplest setting and a 1.53ct blue sapphire. All are from Mogok and untreated/unheated.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s lovely! Beautiful size, color and star. Really love the setting proportions to the stone. Looks fabulous on your hand. I think star rings are just so much fun to wear, because they are always changing. The slightest light awakens a ray or two within them. And when light is full, they explode with the star! It’s delightful.

It's so stunning under the right lighting. In daylight, people not into gems wonder what stone it is!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh and the 18k white gold setting for the star has about 0.58ct of diamonds, sized a US 9 for my fingers and was just US$650. Has a decent width for the band and not at all filmsy imho.

@mellowyellowgirl on setting prices!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh and the 18k white gold setting for the star has about 0.58ct of diamonds, sized a US 9 for my fingers and was just US$650. Has a decent width for the band and not at all filmsy imho.

@mellowyellowgirl on setting prices!
I like be all of your rings! I cannot tell at all from the pics that your red spinel has inclusions. I cannot believe how little you paid for such a gorgeous setting for your star sapphire! Do you get them set where you buy the stones?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like be all of your rings! I cannot tell at all from the pics that your red spinel has inclusions. I cannot believe how little you paid for such a gorgeous setting for your star sapphire! Do you get them set where you buy the stones?

That's why the red spinel is in a US$280 setting with just 0.17ct diamonds or so. Still 18k white gold though it's on the light side :razz:

They are probably China made and set. The stones are collected by a Hong Kong based jewelry shop that flies in every quarter or so. They collect the stones and do custom designs too. Except for 2 pieces so far where i had to take the custom route and pay extra for the mould, the rest are stock settings with simple modifications.

They just lack the machinery, tools, skills and mindset to set them well and fine here. The locals are known to swap stones as well.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's why the red spinel is in a US$280 setting with just 0.17ct diamonds or so. Still 18k white gold though it's on the light side :razz:

They are probably China made and set. The stones are collected by a Hong Kong based jewelry shop that flies in every quarter or so. They collect the stones and do custom designs too. Except for 2 pieces so far where i had to take the custom route and pay extra for the mould, the rest are stock settings with simple modifications.

They just lack the machinery, tools, skills and mindset to set them well and fine here. The locals are known to swap stones as well.
That sounds awesome! I wish we had a similar set up in the U.S.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the price @Burmesedaze

I was so tempted to ask you but felt a bit iffy about it! Gives me something to go on the next time I need to set something. I've accepted a mark up though being from Australia.

@chatoyancy can you get easy access to any asian jewellery stores? I get all my settings from either Chinese or vietnamese stores. The Western stores do not stock settings and I find the asians are upping their coloured stone game so they at least seem to know what they are and how to set them.

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the price @Burmesedaze

I was so tempted to ask you but felt a bit iffy about it! Gives me something to go on the next time I need to set something. I've accepted a mark up though being from Australia.

@chatoyancy can you get easy access to any asian jewellery stores? I get all my settings from either Chinese or vietnamese stores. The Western stores do not stock settings and I find the asians are upping their coloured stone game so they at least seem to know what they are and how to set them.

I’m in the U.S. We do have a pretty sizable Asian community here, so we might have a Chinese or Vietnamese jewelry store here. I’ll see if I can find one. Thanks for the tip!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so stunning under the right lighting. In daylight, people not into gems wonder what stone it is!
I can imagine! That’s true about people noticing... When I wear my larger star rings, I often notice people staring and asking about what stones they are. Stars have a special interactive quality with the light that makes them stand out, and ‘glow’ even when the star is ‘sleeping’.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I found a stone that works!!It is rather lavender in person. I am going to have a hard time giving it back to my Mom :wink2:
20180221_102630.jpg
20180221_104223.jpg
I returned the stone to the natural sapphire company, and returned this grey star as well. I really liked how sharp it was but I did not need it.
20180221_104151.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I found a stone that works!!It is rather lavender in person. I am going to have a hard time giving it back to my Mom :wink2:
20180221_102630.jpg
20180221_104223.jpg
I returned the stone to the natural sapphire company, and returned this grey star as well. I really liked how sharp it was but I did not need it.
20180221_104151.jpg

Do show the lavender stone! Which one is it?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180221_102630.jpg
20180221_104223.jpg
20180221_104151.jpg
Vesper, it looks wonderful! I like it so much better with the star that you placed in it. Must look great with your other one. Would love to see a picture of you have time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results