shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this pink star sapphire ring with its Art Deco setting is so gorgeous! The different shaped diamonds form a kind of crescent moon around the pink because they don't go all the way around.

And, this setting on the blue ring flows beautifully. I love the way the lines turn into the prongs, almost like waves. And of course this awesome bracelet...angular but framing of the stone.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
72 star sapphires?! Gorgeous. I'm still looking for my dream ONE! :D

If you have 72, you could do an ombre-style necklace instead of 'by the yard' if you don't want the necklace to be super long (seems like it could be 50 inch or more depending on how you space the stones out).

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
72 star sapphires?! Gorgeous. I'm still looking for my dream ONE! :D

If you have 72, you could do an ombre-style necklace instead of 'by the yard' if you don't want the necklace to be super long (seems like it could be 50 inch or more depending on how you space the stones out).
That's an idea too! I'll have to see how close enough to each in size and thickness, etc. I believe they are coming on Friday, so I'll post pics when they arrive.
This whole thing with the 72 little stars is just so unexpected but fun!

It took me a very long time to find the one for my ring because I wanted only one star ring which had The right soul. They are all quite unique. I know that those are not so easy to find! It's worth waiting for the right one do that you are truly satisfied with it.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to express that because these stars are so full of personality, each one seems unique. When I see them together, it looks like a community of them. Whereas I would never think that of regular blue sapphires together. So, finding one is almost like finding one with the right mood and spirit, since there's an astonishingly large range. That's a great thing about star corundums!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is my grandfather's star sapphire. The inside of the ring is engraved with my grandparents' names. I wish the setting were less masculine. My dad hated the idea of my resetting it, so I left it alone...for now.

star-sapphire.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my grandfather's star sapphire. The inside of the ring is engraved with my grandparents' names. I wish the setting were less masculine. My dad hated the idea of my resetting it, so I left it alone...for now.

star-sapphire.jpg
That's such a beautiful star, Tourmaline! It really is the central feature so that one doesn't notice the setting much. I think it's amazing!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are such an awesome mum, Bluegemz! Needless to say, I love both your star sapphires. You got me looking at large star sapphires today in Yangon, but I didn't find anything with as fine a translucency as your 18 carat stunner.

It is quite difficult to find a nice, even body color, much more a transluscent star with decent size. The stars in this thread are way nicer than typically found in the market. If it was that easy, I would have grabbed them in different colors by now. Lol.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have one star set in jewellery.

Here's mine. :)

image.png
It's wonderfully luminous! A great ring stone. The color reminds me of a twilight blue. Very evocative and mysterious.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They came! They are beautiful! Very clear for the most part with nice stars. These will definitely be great in a DBTY necklace with a very fine chain in between. They look like little drops of pastel colors. These pics are ina shady room with camera flash. No sun out today and some are tilted and aren't showing well. It's hard to get them aligned!

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another 2 pics with flash. When the sun comes out, I'll take a few more pictures. There are one or two which I might leave out depending....

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are jaw-droppingly lovely! Totally love them.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I may make 10 clusters of 7 stones each...or something like that, or like this other rough sketch...

IMG_3119.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... or like this other rough sketch...

There are a few more in the same spirit where This comes from - I'd change the proportions, perhaps ... [linked segments let there be drape]

31278_x.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, last pictures! I think if I do the clusters, I could have gentle, delicate Matt golden leaves hanging down from chains from the clusters so that there is some movement.

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few more in the same spirit where This comes from - I'd change the proportions, perhaps ... [linked segments let there be drape]

31278_x.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated. It definitely gets my imagination going. It's lovely! The necklace is very precisely geometric, which might work if the stones were precise in that way. Part of the issue is going to be working with the slightly different shapes. That's why I'm starting to lean towards a more organic, clustered look with possible leaves. Maybe like berries and leaves so that the differences in stones don't throw off the design.

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the issue is going to be working with the slightly different shapes

This is what I had in mind writing of 'changing proportions' - toward the end of a white night [~04:00]. I could not quite explain what I have in mind without drawing !

Necklace-ivy-leaves-and-pearls.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I had in mind writing of 'changing proportions' - toward the end of a white night [~04:00]. I could not quite explain what I have in mind without drawing !

Necklace-ivy-leaves-and-pearls.jpg
That's beautiful! Just love how that one is chunky and modern in the chain, and bold, delicate and romantic all at once. Thank you Valeria. It really does give me so much to think about. I understand now what you meant.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really DO look like these lol!

IMG_3145.PNG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, those don't hold a candle to yours!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a gem shop yesterday to see what the small stars would look like with a bigger one amongst them, kind of like a mother with many babies. I really like them all together. So I think these will all be set on a round, gold disk as a pendant. I might separate them to make fine waves of color bands, but I think they look much better together rather than apart. So that's the new design idea!

IMG_3146.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a gem shop yesterday to see what the small stars would look like with a bigger one amongst them ...

... while I was thinking of a star rock crystal in the same role - they'd be large enough for the sapphires to form a halo & change: perhaps two stations on the chain or earrings.

[Digressing,
One of the smaller sapphires in your lot led this train of thought: it looks almost colourless & very clear in the pictures - perhaps with a suble pink tinge; the white star rock crystal aspires to such a look which seems bately achievable in anything ! ]

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... while I was thinking of a star rock crystal in the same role - they'd be large enough for the sapphires to form a halo & change: perhaps two stations on the chain or earrings.

[Digressing,
One of the smaller sapphires in your lot led this train of thought: it looks almost colourless & very clear in the pictures - perhaps with a suble pink tinge; the white star rock crystal aspires to such a look which seems bately achievable in anything ! ]
Valeria, once again, I love your ideas! I did look at a star rose quartz while I was at the shop, but it's star was not strong enough to stand out. I put the larger, blue/grey star on hold while I look around. I think maybe one or two stars in the chain is a good idea too.
In thinking about this project, what keeps coming to mind is the idea of 'mother' and I think of examples in nature...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must add that the adult sea horse and fish are actually fathers, but the idea remains!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results