carat
color
clarity

Show your Spessartite

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my little sunshine sweeties. 010.JPG
Ahh, Lisa, I don't think there is any stone or piece of jewelry of yours that I don't adore. You are so good at choosing color. =)2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@minousbijoux - Thank You! That is quite the compliment from someone with your expertise and beautiful gemstones. :)

binay1702

Rough_Rock
Nigerian spess, same batch of rough as the stone in my avatar. I like the reddish orange of these, even though most have a fair amount of secondary brown; they really smolder in low light. The pure orange ones are nice of course, but this stuff is a lot cleaner and a lot more affordable.

spess2-1.jpg
This is best spessartine garnet in my opinion.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I went through all the photos and love the bright Fanta Orange of this stone!
I have a Mexican Fire Opal, and I would like your opinion of a Fire Opal vs. a Spessartite. Ignoring the color which I know will vary between these two gemstones, I am interested in your thoughts on:

- Which stone sparkles more
- Pricepoint (I am looking for a Fanta Orange stone around 12x10mm, how many carats would the be approximately)
- Why are Fire Opals not popular (e.g. why do you prefer a spessartite vs. a Fire Opal), are Spessartites more sparkly? Less included?

I like my Fire Opal. It is a fun ring, and I picked a red-orange stone. However, I could swear when I first purchased it, it was more red and more sparkly. Now it seems a bit cloudy and dull. If any of you experts have any insight on this point, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I went through all the photos and love the bright Fanta Orange of this stone!
I have a Mexican Fire Opal, and I would like your opinion of a Fire Opal vs. a Spessartite. Ignoring the color which I know will vary between these two gemstones, I am interested in your thoughts on:

- Which stone sparkles more
- Pricepoint (I am looking for a Fanta Orange stone around 12x10mm, how many carats would the be approximately)
- Why are Fire Opals not popular (e.g. why do you prefer a spessartite vs. a Fire Opal), are Spessartites more sparkly? Less included?

I like my Fire Opal. It is a fun ring, and I picked a red-orange stone. However, I could swear when I first purchased it, it was more red and more sparkly. Now it seems a bit cloudy and dull. If any of you experts have any insight on this point, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks!
Mexican fire opals are not as durable for everyday wear. While they don’t sparkle as much as spessartite garnets, their color can be just as gorgeous. The Fanta spessartites are more expensive than fire opals. Other spessartites are not that expensive. Mine wasn’t. My mom has a 7 carat fire opal ring that is gorgeous. I think fire opals are beautiful. I’m not sure why they aren’t more popular on here. I have that same question about one of my favorite stones, imperial topaz.

A pure orange mandarin spessartite in the size you want is going to be very expensive and hard to find. Anything above 2 carats seems rather pricey. Also, spessartite garnets are very heavy stones. They have a high specific gravity. A 10x12 stone will have a high carat weight. I’m sure someone on here can help you find your stone.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mexican fire opals are not as durable for everyday wear. While they don’t sparkle as much as spessartite garnets, their color can be just as gorgeous. The Fanta spessartites are more expensive than fire opals. Other spessartites are not that expensive. Mine wasn’t. My mom has a 7 carat fire opal ring that is gorgeous. I think fire opals are beautiful. I’m not sure why they aren’t more popular on here. I have that same question about one of my favorite stones, imperial topaz.

A pure orange mandarin spessartite in the size you want is going to be very expensive and hard to find. Anything above 2 carats seems rather pricey. Also, spessartite garnets are very heavy stones. They have a high specific gravity. A 10x12 stone will have a high carat weight. I’m sure someone on here can help you find your stone.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely look at spessartites. I love the sparkle as you mentioned, and that Fanta Orange! And you said they were more durable is a plus for me since I am hard with my jewelry. Thanks again!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input. I will definitely look at spessartites. I love the sparkle as you mentioned, and that Fanta Orange! And you said they were more durable is a plus for me since I am hard with my jewelry. Thanks again!
You’re welcome. I have no doubt you will find what you are looking for. AJS.com has a couple around the size you want. I’ve noticed that a lot of people on here have had to send several garnets back until they found the right one. It’s definitely one of the colored gems that’s better to buy in person, if you can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just took a photo - it is a new one, I have another larger of a similar color, plan to recut for a 20180303_143556.jpg pair

I think this one is Nigerian - too clean for a Lloliondo

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my 3.94 ct spess ring.......

IMG_3330[1].jpg
IMG_3332[1].jpg
IMG_3329[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3330[1].jpg
    IMG_3330[1].jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 24

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not mine but I was having fun at my jeweller the other day. The one in the ring is 8.5ct, the big loose one is 15.3 and the little heart is 2 plus.

7E0D7574-B942-49A4-B9FA-868D22CDF904.png
Love the large spessartites.

Here’s one which I would have loved to have, but it was more than I was willing to pay. Taken in strange lighting.

836A4196-3AB3-4F0F-8EF9-304C5745CFD0.jpeg
96DF6D29-CDB5-4AE8-A3F0-A4B98F327572.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is lovely! Here is mine on a purple flower:
IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg

Thank you! Your spess looks beautiful cenetered against the flower...how are you going to set it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun ‘s ring from Yvonne is gorgeous, and a great inspiration piece for your beautiful spinel, @Atwater .

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Saw this in a shop front today and thought it could be spess. So pretty!

Wish I could take a pic of a vintage Tiffany 11 ct spess pendant I saw the other day. Very very clear and so sparkly. Super love.

1F6E1CF7-5B42-456A-ADEE-BB92287FABC3.jpeg

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Your spess looks beautiful cenetered against the flower...how are you going to set it?
It is made into a three-garnet ring. The spess glows in low light, like an orange eye staring at you!
IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1858_incandelite.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this in another thread, but here's the spess I had set for my Mom's birthday last week. She loves it. 20190531_150656.jpg

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Hi, just jumping on this thread because there are lots of spess lovers, hope it's okay with the OP / mods or I can remove it.

Any comments on the ring below? It's 2.5ct, likely ~US$650 after testing by a reputable lab. Is the price fair? I've heard that spess prices have risen.

It photographs a bit more brown than irl, and irl I see brown whenever there is shadowing (saw a comment that said it's sometimes not the gem's fault, but the shadow being reflected back that is creating the brown). When there is no shadowing it seems to lean reddish-orange imo.

It seems well cut. I am a lil bit disappointed as the seller's photo had shown a bright pastel-ish orange (looks like under diffused sunlight). However if it's due to shadowing, maybe I should look for a different cut or a more yellow-orange colour

Outdoors:

Outdoors Video Still.jpg

Outdoors 6.jpg

Indoors (really crap and diffused dim yellow lighting)

Indoors Yellow Light 1.jpg

Indoors, slightly closer to the light source

Indoors Yellow Light 2.jpg

seller photo:

Seller photo.jpg

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Also considering this from a trusted vendor (prefer not to mention who in case of lurkers) who is currently away from the stone.

It's a fiery orange, but, after my experience seeing the other stone irl, I'm wondering if it's going to have the same brown shadowing. This one is concave cut though.

The price is ~$1,500. I don't mind owning both if the price is fair.

Trusted Vendor.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results