shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your padparadscha sapphires! A lotus sunrise by any other name would smell as sweet...

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
With all the gem-showcasing threads here, I thought it'd be nice to have one devoted to my favorite gem, the padparadscha sapphire!

It's often compared to lotuses, sunsets, and sunrises, and also semi-recently appeared as Princess Eugenie's engagement ring.

lotus2.png

Rare, incredibly prized, terribly difficult to photograph, and utterly impossible to get people to agree on what color/saturations qualifies. No really. It's probably somewhere on this chart below, but the specific boundaries of the chart leads to spirited debates. (fun article about that here: https://www.lotusgemology.com/index...-padparadscha-sapphire-the-ownership-of-words)

padparadscha-chart.png

I'm pretty liberal with my definition of pad color. Pinkish orange? Yes. Orangeish pink? Absolutely. Gentle and delicate? Great. Vivid and saturated? Love it.

So do please share your own, your favorites, or any other celebration of this lovely sapphire! And while we all likely have our own opinions on what qualifies as a pad, for this thread I'm not about to yuck anyone's yum :)

And in the interest of sharing, my own small collection of a few gems across the pad spectrum. The color in this photo is...not quite right. The specific blends of pink/orange not always coming across, but still beautiful and beloved <3

padring.png

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
This is my very first post. I love your ring @JackTrick. It is beautiful! I read the article you linked above and found it really interesting, especially how much the interpretation varies among experts as to what determines a pad. I have an orange sapphire that was sold to me as a pad, although I always thought it was just an orange sapphire since it doesn’t have the pastel shades that seem most popular. Anyway here it is (ring on the left) just for fun! E7328874-5C5A-4EAA-9F7E-DC7B85D8A339.jpeg

Attachments

• E94132FD-FE0B-4ACB-9EA8-CEBF8FDF372A.jpeg
    E94132FD-FE0B-4ACB-9EA8-CEBF8FDF372A.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 11

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
You knew I couldn’t stay away from this thread right?!

97841096-1622-4BBB-929E-0942ACC60A90.jpeg
1D739B94-787B-4E15-B060-9AEA8316AB40.jpeg

>6ct heated pad from Madagascar with a giant window set in a rose gold cup. Paid twice what it was worth in my salad days. Looks incredible at sunset and sunrise and in the mall (for some odd reason). Looks meh in daylight.

73A8E166-0347-42A8-95BC-E8EB48AE341A.jpeg 37EAAB6D-88F4-4C6E-8120-948CE925FB63.jpeg
7F4BA709-DB25-4CC7-A564-682BCF765099.jpeg

My unheated Ceylons - ring and cluster earrings.

My as yet unset unheated melange waiting to go into a matching bangle / bracelet and / or studs.

99FD40E5-94CC-42FC-99C8-44BE70FB4790.jpeg

And one in the post! Heavily included but will work in the middle of my cluster.
8F3E1F6F-1F17-4BD7-93FD-144927D5AFE9.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have a pad, unfortunately, but I do have a peach sapphire :)
26F2AA6D-18DF-4ABE-A2BC-87B1AA39B211.jpeg

What do you guys think of your pads before and after set in yellow vs rose gold? Or in white?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I know I have a problem.... pretty sure this won’t be the end of my pad obsession.

You most certainly do, and I'm here for it! :lol:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
This is my very first post. I love your ring @JackTrick. It is beautiful! I read the article you linked above and found it really interesting, especially how much the interpretation varies among experts as to what determines a pad. I have an orange sapphire that was sold to me as a pad, although I always thought it was just an orange sapphire since it doesn’t have the pastel shades that seem most popular. Anyway here it

While pastel is frequently cited as a req for pad status, I love me some vibrant saturated color :) Yours' actually quite reminds me of a spinel I have, that also shifts in lights. A friend of mine has started using the term 'part-time pad' for some stones that sometimes shift to pad colors.

You knew I couldn’t stay away from this thread right?!

97841096-1622-4BBB-929E-0942ACC60A90.jpeg
1D739B94-787B-4E15-B060-9AEA8316AB40.jpeg

>6ct heated pad from Madagascar with a giant window set in a rose gold cup. Paid twice what it was worth in my salad days. Looks incredible at sunset and sunrise and in the mall (for some odd reason). Looks meh in daylight.

73A8E166-0347-42A8-95BC-E8EB48AE341A.jpeg 37EAAB6D-88F4-4C6E-8120-948CE925FB63.jpeg
7F4BA709-DB25-4CC7-A564-682BCF765099.jpeg

My unheated Ceylons - ring and cluster earrings.

My as yet unset unheated melange waiting to go into a matching bangle / bracelet and / or studs.

99FD40E5-94CC-42FC-99C8-44BE70FB4790.jpeg

And one in the post! Heavily included but will work in the middle of my cluster.
8F3E1F6F-1F17-4BD7-93FD-144927D5AFE9.jpeg

Yesssssss, I love your collection so much! Also, it looks like the obsession is real for you :D

I don’t have a pad, unfortunately, but I do have a peach sapphire :)
26F2AA6D-18DF-4ABE-A2BC-87B1AA39B211.jpeg

What do you guys think of your pads before and after set in yellow vs rose gold? Or in white?

I've never been super clear at what constituted 'peach sapphires.' Feels like the stones that have a bit more yellow to them and a bit less pink?

I agonized on gold color quite a bit, originally wanting rose gold.

padgoldcolors.jpeg

With how pads can have such a range of colors, I think it very much depends on the specific stone and what you want to highlight about it. I eventually went with yellow (because it both made the gem the star, and also gave it such a warm feeling).

Wore mine to work today. It’s more pink in office light, more orange outside.

072E7601-959F-46FB-B6ED-8E9008AD0359.jpeg

loooooove the color combo. Is the green a tsavorite?

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This thread for me will be the equivalent of me pressing my face against the glass to get a closer look at all of the pretties just out of my reach...

Thank you, benevolent PSers, for indulging me. :lol:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JackTrick
I can see why you chose the yellow for your gorgeous stone/ring :love:

Thank you for the pics - it illustrates very well!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This thread for me will be the equivalent of me pressing my face against the glass to get a closer look at all of the pretties just out of my reach...

Thank you, benevolent PSers, for indulging me. :lol:

Huh, small world, I was just there!
Kid-Wiping-Face-on-Glass-Door.gif

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

I never know how I feel about it. I know I dislike the setting but the gem itself - I'd probably prefer a darker pad. I like it when it's NOT on my finger but when it's on my finger it's just basically the same color as my skin. Flesh gem.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Dunno if a large mineral specimen counts:

Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix 1.JPG Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix 2.JPG Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix detail.JPG

The colour of the crystals is beautiful in sunlight, and there are many that are well-formed. Some are translucent/gemmy.

This specimen is approximately 10 cm across and is from Vietnam.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Dunno if a large mineral specimen counts:

Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix 1.JPG Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix 2.JPG Pinkish-orange sapphire in matrix detail.JPG

The colour of the crystals is beautiful in sunlight, and there are many that are well-formed. Some are translucent/gemmy.

This specimen is approximately 10 cm across and is from Vietnam.

Beautiful! Specimens welcome :D

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. Funnily enough it was sold as a ruby specimen but the colour of the crystals is more like padparadscha.

MrsManiquiz2013

Rough_Rock
Trade
With all the gem-showcasing threads here, I thought it'd be nice to have one devoted to my favorite gem, the padparadscha sapphire!

It's often compared to lotuses, sunsets, and sunrises, and also semi-recently appeared as Princess Eugenie's engagement ring.

lotus2.png

Rare, incredibly prized, terribly difficult to photograph, and utterly impossible to get people to agree on what color/saturations qualifies. No really. It's probably somewhere on this chart below, but the specific boundaries of the chart leads to spirited debates. (fun article about that here: https://www.lotusgemology.com/index...-padparadscha-sapphire-the-ownership-of-words)

padparadscha-chart.png

I'm pretty liberal with my definition of pad color. Pinkish orange? Yes. Orangeish pink? Absolutely. Gentle and delicate? Great. Vivid and saturated? Love it.

So do please share your own, your favorites, or any other celebration of this lovely sapphire! And while we all likely have our own opinions on what qualifies as a pad, for this thread I'm not about to yuck anyone's yum :)

And in the interest of sharing, my own small collection of a few gems across the pad spectrum. The color in this photo is...not quite right. The specific blends of pink/orange not always coming across, but still beautiful and beloved <3

padring.png

I Love padparadscha sapphire! and dreaming of owning one someday, i love the colors of all your stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results