shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your heirlooms passed down—with a story!

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
Thought it would be cool to start a thread of pieces that have been passed down or on to you from people with meaning!

To me, aside from memories, jewelry is one of the most intrinsic items you can own—just knowing you are wearing a piece that was worn close to someone you loved, often makes me feel tangibly closer to them.

Bottom ring:

7 stone original wedding band belonged to my beloved great aunt who was always like a grandmother to me. There were two exact same bands that my great aunt and grandmother (maternal side) both had. They married in the same day in 1921, today my mother wears her mothers and I wear my great aunts. I wear it almost every day with two 1.5mm black diamond eternity bands, one on each side. This ring has the ultimate intrinsic value to me and when I think about my great aunt, I touch my ring and instantly feel closer and more connected to her even though she is no longer with us.

Middle ring:

Pinky ring belonged to my paternal great grandfather—not sure if it was purchased in the USA after the family emigrated here, or in Italy where they're from, regardless I'm guessing this ring was purchased in the 1920s. I recall always loving this ring as a child... I don't wear it ever, I am not a "pinky ring" kind of guy... Although I never met my great grandfather... Whenever I touch this ring I think of all the stories I've heard about him.

Top ring:

Another pinky ring (these Italians and their pinky rings hahaha) belonged to my paternal grandfather. I've been told it was purchased in the 1960s/70s. My grandfather was a very unique character. He lived by the motto, "you get what you pay for"... He and my grandmother enjoyed the finer things in life... And I get my appreciation of quality from him. I never loved this ring as a young guy... Nowadays I have grown fond of diamonds in yellow gold. Originally I had thought I should size it bigger for my ring finger and have it changed to white gold—but I think one day I'll just have it sized and polished. I never wear this ring, but when I look at it, instantly I think of him and laugh because he probably just walked into a jeweler and said, "give me your best ring"... That was the kind of guy he was and it makes me laugh... Hahaha.

I'd love to see your pieces and hear you share your anecdotes as well!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1453210651.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1453210665.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1453210673.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1453210680.jpg

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
Re: Show us your heirlooms passed down—with a story!

I wouldn't call this ring an heirloom, but it has a funny story behind it! This is a diamond I received from my Dad about 3 years ago when I was visiting with my parents after his knee replacement. I had always commented on the diamond and wanted to make sure he KNEW I loved it! He surprised me with it while he was alive instead of waiting till he is gone. The setting was worn thin and had broken on the bottom and he didn't feel like spending anything to replace it. So I got it! I had it -reset in a vintage setting by my local jeweler and had them raise up the 8 prongs so more of the diamond shows. Then I had 2 small diamonds added to the small flowers on the sides.

I just learned at Christmas when my parents were visiting the story behind how my Dad got the diamond to begin with. Back in the early 80's he paid to play in a betting pool for it - where you buy a square and if your square is chosen - you win. My dad paid $35 for his square! I have no certificate for the stone, but my jeweler said it was a very good stone, I think it's a probably an H color, clarity is eye clean but definitely has a flaw you can see with a loupe. It's 7 mm so it's about a 1.25 to 1.3 ct.

BTW my dad was in the car business and car salesmen like their jewelry! So the fella that was getting rid and needed to collect money fast - he went to a car dealership and that's where the betting pool was played!

_36091.jpg

_36092.jpg

_36093.jpg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

Hahaha love it!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the story behind my Mom's ring.
She and my Dad were married 30 years before she got an engagement ring. When they married they were broke. It was the depression, he was in school, they lived with his parents. Hard times.
For their 30th anniversary Dad took Mom to NYC, to TIffany's. They were very much in love even after two kids and the ups and downs in life, and both over the moon about her belated engagement ring.
Whenever I would visit she would let me wear her ring. Now it's mine. p1080473.jpg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

Jimmianne said:
She and my Dad were married 30 years before she got an engagement ring. When they married they were broke. It was the depression, he was in school, they lived with his parents. Hard times.
For their 30th anniversary Dad took Mom to NYC, to TIffany's. They were very much in love even after two kids and the ups and downs in life, and both over the moon about her belated engagement ring.
Whenever I would visit she would let me wear her ring. Now it's mine. p1080473.jpg

So sweet! And a beautiful ring too! :) thanks for sharing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne|1453374408|3978998 said:

I remember the ring - never knew the story! How sweet and special it is - the Tiffany beauty always shines through!

picante27

Shiny_Rock

My engagement ring belonged to my husband's grandmother. She was such a sweet and kind person, and I think of her every time I look at it. This ring was what got me interested in jewelry in the first place, and especially vintage jewelry. I know it means a lot to all of my husband's family as well. At all the family functions, it usually gets discussed and admired :))

20150904_145240-1_0.jpg

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

Picante - I LOVE your vintage ring and the story behind it! I still remember the beautiful vintage rings my grandmother had. Yours is really pretty!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

This is my Great Grandmother's wedding ring. She married my Great Grandfather when she was 14 or 15 and did not take it off until the day she died. Originally it was opal with seed pearls but a few fell out and I had them replaced with white and pink diamonds. My family is Roma and it is traditional to give pearls for a wedding ring.
unnamed__10_.jpg

littlegnome

Rough_Rock

This is the ring my Great Great uncle made for his wife. I don't remember him much, but my grandma said that he absolutely adored me. I got it for Christmas on the year I turned 18.
image_364.jpg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

This is such an awesome thread—and I'm not saying that because I created it. Lol

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dwj6211|1453410757|3979302 said:
This is such an awesome thread—and I'm not saying that because I created it. Lol
Glad you did!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes it is.. I have a few pieces but they are in my box at the credit union, next time I go I will get them out. Your rings are beautiful btw.. such stories...

peace.

Hipchik

Rough_Rock

Love this thread. I so wish I could post a picture of a special ring given to me by my mother. It was stolen during a break in of our apartment just after we moved to Cleveland, OH in 1987. The setting was yellow gold and engraved. Very vintage looking. The stone was a round carnelian with a carved image of a little girl on a swing. It was so unique and special. I feel tears stinging my eyes as I'm writing this. I have grieved the loss of this ring all these years. I pray someday it might return to me. Thanks for letting me share this story.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great thread! I enjoyed all of your stories and beautiful jewelry. Hopefully there are many more stories out there. :wavey:

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

A www hipchick - it would be wonderful if that ring found its way back to you. It sounds so interesting and one of a kind.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

PA180130.jpg PA180125.jpg
IMG%20gran.jpg

This pendant was worn by my great grandmother on her wedding day. She was my great grandfathers second wife. She was hired as his housekeeper after his first wife died. He died while my great grandmother was pregnant with their third child. She never remarried. The pendant is a curious mix of yellow, rose and green gold. The stone is an amethyst and the seed pearls have been replaced with too large of pearls. The jeweler was an idiot and I'm too scared to let anyone else touch it.

Hipchik

Rough_Rock

Downsy|1453949189|3982743 said:
A www hipchick - it would be wonderful if that ring found its way back to you. It sounds so interesting and one of a kind.
Downsy- it was just so special. I would give a lot and forgive a lot if Someone returned it. Maybe one day . . . :halo:
Thanks for your encouragement.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have three pieces. One very nice, one very inexpensive and one in bad shape.

1. From my birth grandmother. Platinum three diamonds two sapphires.

2. This ring was given to me when I graduated from HS. My adopted mother received it as a gift for graduation. She was born in 1913. Not sure if from HS or College. She went to Bowling Green College.

3. This was my adopted mother's ring. She wore this often. It's not a diamond. As you can see it's missing a number of stones. Well worn. Her sister wore it for years after she died. When she passed it came to me. I just put it away. I should get it fixed. I've never had anyone look at it. I have no idea what the stones are. Maybe just costume.

_1643.jpeg

_1644.jpeg

_1645.jpeg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

ponder said:
PA180130.jpg PA180125.jpg
IMG%20gran.jpg

This pendant was worn by my great grandmother on her wedding day. She was my great grandfathers second wife. She was hired as his housekeeper after his first wife died. He died while my great grandmother was pregnant with their third child. She never remarried. The pendant is a curious mix of yellow, rose and green gold. The stone is an amethyst and the seed pearls have been replaced with too large of pearls. The jeweler was an idiot and I'm too scared to let anyone else touch it.
That is so incredible to have the photo too! For the provenance of the piece.

picante27

Shiny_Rock

I have another heirloom to share. I inherited this ring from my grandmother on my father's side. She passed away when I was only 10, so I remember her, but not very well. I have an uncanny resemblance to her, and was even named after her. I don't know a lot about that side of my family, my father passed away when I was 11 and I never got a chance to get much of the family history from him. So, this ring is pretty much the only thing I have to remember my grandmother by, aside from a few old photos. Anyway, the ring means a lot to me and I'd thought I'd share it with you all.

20160130_134855_perfectlyclear.jpg

20160130_134725_perfectlyclear.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just under 2 years ago I inherited an antique pearl & diamond ring from my Great Aunt, who passed away aged 99. It was ALWAYS my favourite of her lovely treasures, so I was touched that she wanted me to be the new custodian. My mother recalls that from around the age of 5, I would tug it from her hand & twirl around with it on my index finger. I have vague memories of being mesmerised by the flashes of purple in the diamonds!

The ring was purchased from an antique shop here in the UK on October 12th 1940 by her husband for her upcoming 25th Birthday, and being the very particular lady that she was, the ring came to me in the original box with receipts.

I had the ring examined & the pearl is real & whole, measuring 5mm diameter, probably of South China Sea origin. The hallmark was mostly lost in sizing, but it has been estimated that it dates from around 1895 - 1900 & is probably French. The diamonds are OEC's, clear, white & around 0.75 CTW. The only incident in its 120 year lifespan was Aunty losing a diamond on holiday in Paris in 1950. There was a considerable fuss in finding a replacement & mum believes one had to be specially cut in the end.

My Aunt wore this ring almost daily for 74 years. I only wear it when going out, but I can't take my eyes off it when I do, especially in restaurant lighting :love:

img_20151216_111053090_0.jpg

img_20151216_111101243_0.jpg

Hipchik

Rough_Rock

Alex T. Lovely story and beautiful ring. Really beautiful. What wonderful history.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Hipchick :wavey:

There are lots of gorgeous gems & stories on here. I love tales of antiques. I wish they could talk!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

@Mayk your adopted mother's ring is stunning. I love red and green stones together. It is really sweet that you have it now.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock

dwj6211|1453210688|3977852 said:
Thought it would be cool to start a thread of pieces that have been passed down or on to you from people with meaning!

To me, aside from memories, jewelry is one of the most intrinsic items you can own—just knowing you are wearing a piece that was worn close to someone you loved, often makes me feel tangibly closer to them.

Bottom ring:

7 stone original wedding band belonged to my beloved great aunt who was always like a grandmother to me. There were two exact same bands that my great aunt and grandmother (maternal side) both had. They married in the same day in 1921, today my mother wears her mothers and I wear my great aunts. I wear it almost every day with two 1.5mm black diamond eternity bands, one on each side. This ring has the ultimate intrinsic value to me and when I think about my great aunt, I touch my ring and instantly feel closer and more connected to her even though she is no longer with us.

Middle ring:

Pinky ring belonged to my paternal great grandfather—not sure if it was purchased in the USA after the family emigrated here, or in Italy where they're from, regardless I'm guessing this ring was purchased in the 1920s. I recall always loving this ring as a child... I don't wear it ever, I am not a "pinky ring" kind of guy... Although I never met my great grandfather... Whenever I touch this ring I think of all the stories I've heard about him.

Top ring:

Another pinky ring (these Italians and their pinky rings hahaha) belonged to my paternal grandfather. I've been told it was purchased in the 1960s/70s. My grandfather was a very unique character. He lived by the motto, "you get what you pay for"... He and my grandmother enjoyed the finer things in life... And I get my appreciation of quality from him. I never loved this ring as a young guy... Nowadays I have grown fond of diamonds in yellow gold. Originally I had thought I should size it bigger for my ring finger and have it changed to white gold—but I think one day I'll just have it sized and polished. I never wear this ring, but when I look at it, instantly I think of him and laugh because he probably just walked into a jeweler and said, "give me your best ring"... That was the kind of guy he was and it makes me laugh... Hahaha.

I'd love to see your pieces and hear you share your anecdotes as well!

I absolutely love that seven stone band. It's classic, timeless, and beautiful. Plus, it has so much sentimental value and it's a piece of history and a memory of somebody so special.

I really don't have much heirloom jewelry.

img_6990.jpg

There's this, but it's probably being reset by my boyfriend now into an engagement ring for me. It's my mother's first bridal set from 1989. She didn't love it when she received it, so she upgraded in 2003ish. She's still married to my dad, but doesn't wear the set because she never liked it. So my boyfriend has the diamond now.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great thread idea and I love seeing the pictures and reading the stories with them. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results