Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one.

rd_chryso_5-28-14_preview.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1401301307|3681842 said:
Another one.

Wooow. That is very, very yellow and stunning. I want a chrsyo like that!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1401302132|3681851 said:
Another one.

Isn't it funny how many different yellows they come in?!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1401304317|3681877 said:
Another one.

Yes! I wonder if anyone can come in with some valadium (spell check) chrysoberyl.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's some rough Peter Torraca posted on his pinterest like a year back. Its unreal.

uploadfromtaptalk1401307237591.jpg

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
That rough is awesome!!

Would it be totally inappropriate to ask for some guidance on pricing? This thread inspired a bit of a crazy googling, chrysoberyl search and the pricing was so over the shop and with my little gem knowledge- sometimes I understood why..and other times I really could not grasp it.

If I wanted a 1.5 ct, round ..or cushion (squarish, not quite as harsh as a princess) in the lightest yellow, allowing the personality and colour change to show but not to a really dark or bright yellow (god I hope I'm making sense) ... how much should I be prepared to spend? I really like niels. .ahem..should you wish to pass it on ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1401310139|3681947 said:
That rough is awesome!!

Would it be totally inappropriate to ask for some guidance on pricing? This thread inspired a bit of a crazy googling, chrysoberyl search and the pricing was so over the shop and with my little gem knowledge- sometimes I understood why..and other times I really could not grasp it.

If I wanted a 1.5 ct, round ..or cushion (squarish, not quite as harsh as a princess) in the lightest yellow, allowing the personality and colour change to show but not to a really dark or bright yellow (god I hope I'm making sense) ... how much should I be prepared to spend? I really like niels. .ahem..should you wish to pass it on ;-)

Haha I would but someone else already has dibs! Lol

I can say my cushion, the one you like, about the size you want and the color, cost me a little under 200. I bought it from finewater a few months ago.

Peter toracca is who I'd contact. He seems to keep his pricing around there somewhat too. He seems to pop up often with chrysoberyls, so he might have one in his stock he hasn't cut yet. That's how I ended up with my emerald cut chrysoberyl. He didn't have it listed because he had not cut it yet. (Its currently being set so I have no pics but I'm obsessed with it. You'll here more later haha)

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
200 usd? Holy moly. That is low!

Thank you so much for these recommendations! I can't wait to see the emerald cut!

I'm already visualising my theoretical stone on my finger haha!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1401311148|3681959 said:
200 usd? Holy moly. That is low!

Thank you so much for these recommendations! I can't wait to see the emerald cut!

I'm already visualising my theoretical stone on my finger haha!
Is it to be a right hand ring or did you change your mind on a sapphire?

Jeff white would cost more, but his cutting is amazing, and I do think he might have some yellow chrysoberyl, so might be worth emailing him too.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Ps has taught me its ok to have several pretty rings ;-) haha! ..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1401311444|3681962 said:
Ps has taught me its ok to have several pretty rings ;-) haha! ..

Youve learned well. :read: :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1401306991|3681904 said:
minousbijoux|1401304317|3681877 said:
Another one.

Yes! I wonder if anyone can come in with some valadium (spell check) chrysoberyl.

There's a PS'er who has a vanadium set in rose gold. I hope she posts it. She knows who she is. ;))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1401307242|3681907 said:
Here's some rough Peter Torraca posted on his pinterest like a year back. Its unreal.

I hope he doesn't cut it. That's a beautiful crystal specimen in its own right.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1401312666|3681987 said:

Isn't it? I'm not even sure its his.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1401312666|3681987 said:

Agree completely that as beautiful as the gemstones would be, that specimen is amazing as is.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rough is awesome!!

MrsCornishWed: while chrysoberyls come in various yellows and, with vanadium, that lovely green, they are not really known as color changers, not to be confused with alexandrite which is a type of chrysoberyl as well but is not yellow - if that makes any sense. As you know, alexandrites are sought after for their cc properties, but chrysoberyl chrysoberyl is not. Trying to clarify, but not sure I was successful ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that greenie - and what is even more surprising is that its a bluish green and not a yellowish green. Love it!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Lula: I love your stones!

Here is an old group shot I took - a few have been sold or given away since then, and a few new ones have come along since this was taken.

minousbijoux, what a pretty collection :love: omg. I have ten little ones and two slightly bigger ones on the way. shall wait for those two to take a group shot!

Niel, that torraca 4+ ct is possibly the first stone to make me question my green sapphire :knockout: PS is so dangerous!!

jeffdavies has chrysos popping up ever so often on his site, but it all started only AFTER I was searching for a chryso and then decided on a green sapphire :angryfire:

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your help! I shouldn't have used the term colour change, I'm aware they don't. . I meant the way they can look much lighter in certain lights. I'm not sure how to put what I mean in words! ..

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
P.s.. I contacted Peter who doesn't have anything suitable at the minute but will keep me posted. Awaiting a reply from jeff. Think I'll be waiting a while to find my perfect chrysoberyl. I'll keep hunting for my sapphire in the meantime!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I bought these from Minou. :wavey: 6.56 & 6.49, just over a carat each. I plan to use them for earrings, probably in combination with another stone but not sure yet what. These are her photos -- I do truly need to get out & take pics of everything! I am Procrastinator-in-Chief.

I avoided looking at this thread because I knew I'd eat my heart out at all your beauties (and I did!). I LOVE chrysos & have been looking for a vanadium chryso but they don't come along often, boo hoo.

--- Laurie

chryso1.jpg

_18748.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rough is awesome!!

That piece of rough is definitely a sight to behold! :love:

Pricing on a 1.5 ct chrysoberyl will depend on its saturation. Some places charge more and others charge less depending on their overhead costs, how much they procure it for and cutting time/costs. I am not sure what you mean by dark or bright yellow. Do you mean you want something that is a pale chartreuse or pale yellow? Or do you mean a green one? Niel posted several chrysoberyls so I don't know which one you are referring to.

JF,
Those are perfect for earrings.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1401363976|3682330 said:
I bought these from Minou. :wavey: 6.56 & 6.49, just over a carat each. I plan to use them for earrings, probably in combination with another stone but not sure yet what. These are her photos -- I do truly need to get out & take pics of everything! I am Procrastinator-in-Chief.

I avoided looking at this thread because I knew I'd eat my heart out at all your beauties (and I did!). I LOVE chrysos & have been looking for a vanadium chryso but they don't come along often, boo hoo.

--- Laurie

:-o :-o :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :love: :love:

Okay I'm hopping on the chryso train!!! Love these JF!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1401364366|3682333 said:
That rough is awesome!!

That piece of rough is definitely a sight to behold! :love:

Pricing on a 1.5 ct chrysoberyl will depend on its saturation. Some places charge more and others charge less depending on their overhead costs, how much they procure it for and cutting time/costs. I am not sure what you mean by dark or bright yellow. Do you mean you want something that is a pale chartreuse or pale yellow? Or do you mean a green one? Niel posted several chrysoberyls so I don't know which one you are referring to.

JF,
Those are perfect for earrings.

Could be wrong. But fairly certain she means the loose yellow finewater cushion.

WM, good you're on the bandwagon, all the cool kids are doing it haha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1401363976|3682330 said:

--- Laurie

Here's a couple, but they're very pale. If you're collecting, they might make an interesting part of the collection.

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html?271329765

However, I find most vanadiums to be insufficient in saturation. I rather have a mint garnet instead.

If interested, double check those are true vanadiums, although the color and price per carat probably indicate they are.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, TL! I looked at those before, but the bow ties would drive me nuts. If not for those, they'd be worth taking a look at. It's like looking for the right sapphire to find just the vanadium chryso that says BUY ME!

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[MB collecting her award at the Chrysoberyl Academy Awards, along with all the other chryso lovers here]: I want to thank TL, who singlehandedly started the whole chrysoberyl run. It was she who lit our way back in the dark ages before the blinding light of the chartreuse neon marker chrysoberyl by sharing it among us. I truly believe that I - and so many others - would not appreciate its virtues (its Mohs, its color, its suitability as a ring stone, its value) were it not for her.

[Gets down off soap box and wanders off muttering about how the prices have increased astronomically, but trying hard not to hold that against TL's single handed efforts...]

I used to love Tanzanian chrysos when they were more abundant; now Madagascar seems to have the beautiful ones.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1401379427|3682460 said:
[MB collecting her award at the Chrysoberyl Academy Awards, along with all the other chryso lovers here]: I want to thank TL, who singlehandedly started the whole chrysoberyl run. It was she who lit our way back in the dark ages before the blinding light of the chartreuse neon marker chrysoberyl by sharing it among us. I truly believe that I - and so many others - would not appreciate its virtues (its Mohs, its color, its suitability as a ring stone, its value) were it not for her.

[Gets down off soap box and wanders off muttering about how the prices have increased astronomically, but trying hard not to hold that against TL's single handed efforts...]

I clap my hands at that lovely speech and nod my head in agreement :appl: :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1401379427|3682460 said:

LOL, well, I actually think the prices on chrysos are still decent, you just need to know where to look, and that's all I'm saying. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results