shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Antique/Vintage and Reproduction Rings!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

ceramatt

Rough_Rock
It should be 100 yrs old before we can consider it a antique right?

Primus20

Rough_Rock
It should be 100 yrs old before we can consider it a antique right?

Yes i think , for exemple this rose cut ring i got is from the 19 e century

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sharing pictures of the rose cut antique ring I was gifted many years ago: the rose diamond is about 4 mm, mounting is silver and 14kt yellow gold, the bezel was in bad conditions so it was redone.
This morning I took it out it its box, I cleaned it and I decided it deserves to be shared with the lovely PS fellows.
Please excuse the dry horrid hands.
20220207_142933.jpg

That’s a beautiful piece and I particularly love the two toned color of it.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
So many antique pretties!

Dreamer- those are beauties! One day I'm going to come across "the one" of the OEC I really like! Those look just the right size!
Logan- I love the delicate contrast between your ering and shaped band- beautiful!
Stci- love the look of that center stone peeping out like a starburst!

I have a few to join in with. Mine aren't all diamond, but have diamond in them (mostly). Hope that's ok.

On my ring finger is my promise ring from my bf who got it for me because I smooshed the band on the other one (we know better now than to shop at the mall). English ring from first half of the 1800's in rose cut diamond and sugarloaf sapphire, so around 200 years old, give or take a few years. The sapphire is most likely not original. When we found it we were both intrigued by it (and it exactly matched the shirt he was wearing that day).

Then my opal and white stone ring, age unknown. A gift from my father, who used to deal in vintage/estate jewelry.

Diamond and enamel cocktail ring I bought about 20 years ago, maybe from the 50's? The diamond is maybe 15-18pts. It doesn't quite fit any more but those tall prong are amazing!

Vintage (possibly Art Deco?) snake ring with rubies and pearl. (Another one that needs sizing nowadays...ho hum...)

Diamond and emerald pendant, also from my father.

antiques1.jpg

Love your snake ruby and pearl ring!!

SteveD

Rough_Rock
Hey folks - trying to get a view on a ring I inherited - I know (I think!) a bit about it already but without providing all the details I'd be very interested to hear people opinion about it's design, anyone seen anything similar? - It's early Victorian.

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t know much other than WOW! That is so beautiful. Looks like high carat gold. Is there a stamp? That wonky little muffin top in the center makes my mouth water from its deliciousness. Those pearls, how are they still so perfect?! The whole package right there. Thanks for sharing her with us . . . I am sorry for your loss

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Hey folks - trying to get a view on a ring I inherited - I know (I think!) a bit about it already but without providing all the details I'd be very interested to hear people opinion about it's design, anyone seen anything similar? - It's early Victorian.

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Oh my it looks amazing!

What I noticed first was the old mine cut diamond (my favourite antique cut). It looks clear and has good symmetry, very white in the photos too, which is rarer for this cut.

The seed split pearls and pearls, if all original, would be all natural (not cultured), which I think is fantastic and likely to appreciate in value as natural pearls have started to regain their value in the past ten years. I don't think natural pearls get the most traction on PS forums (although I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, I want them to get more love), but I'm a natural pearl nut and I've been glad to see them being appreciated again in the gem trade.

Without knowing more of its backstory and seeing stamps/hallmarks etc., I'd conservatively guess it to be from 1870s - 1900. Personally I'm inclined to think it's later during that period rather than earlier, as it gives me a very Belle Epoque vibe and the milgrain also edges my guess in that direction.

If the ring box is original to the ring, that would fit the period as well.

It also looks to be high carat gold, although the photos look a bit saturated judging by the colour of the box blue velvet. Are there any hallmarks indicating metal content or maker?

How far off are my guesses? Please do tell us more!!

SteveD

Rough_Rock
Don’t know much other than WOW! That is so beautiful. Looks like high carat gold. Is there a stamp? That wonky little muffin top in the center makes my mouth water from its deliciousness. Those pearls, how are they still so perfect?! The whole package right there. Thanks for sharing her with us . . . I am sorry for your loss

Hey thanks for the thoughts, she was a special lady! So the thing is no stamp - but it’s been well worn! It may have worn off - it’s nearly 200 years old after all! The box however is quite specific, but, how do you know they belong to each other?

SteveD

Rough_Rock
Oh my it looks amazing!

What I noticed first was the old mine cut diamond (my favourite antique cut). It looks clear and has good symmetry, very white in the photos too, which is rarer for this cut.

The seed split pearls and pearls, if all original, would be all natural (not cultured), which I think is fantastic and likely to appreciate in value as natural pearls have started to regain their value in the past ten years. I don't think natural pearls get the most traction on PS forums (although I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, I want them to get more love), but I'm a natural pearl nut and I've been glad to see them being appreciated again in the gem trade.

Without knowing more of its backstory and seeing stamps/hallmarks etc., I'd conservatively guess it to be from 1870s - 1900. Personally I'm inclined to think it's later during that period rather than earlier, as it gives me a very Belle Epoque vibe and the milgrain also edges my guess in that direction.

If the ring box is original to the ring, that would fit the period as well.

It also looks to be high carat gold, although the photos look a bit saturated judging by the colour of the box blue velvet. Are there any hallmarks indicating metal content or maker?

How far off are my guesses? Please do tell us more!!

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Hey thanks for the thoughts, she was a special lady! So the thing is no stamp - but it’s been well worn! It may have worn off - it’s nearly 200 years old after all! The box however is quite specific, but, how do you know they belong to each other?

Stamps could also have been lost during resizing or re-shanking. Or, if it was converted to a ring from another piece of jewellery at a later time (that just occurred to me as a possibility, I do feel like I see the design in brooches more), it could have been never hallmarked.

SteveD

Rough_Rock
Stamps could also have been lost during resizing or re-shanking. Or, if it was converted to a ring from another piece of jewellery at a later time (that just occurred to me as a possibility, I do feel like I see the design in brooches more), it could have been never hallmarked.

Quite likely - it's very worn! I did find out marks from this period weren't always put on pieces. It's also been repaired in the past - I think the pearl at 3 O'clock is a replacement and it's been soldered as well.

IMG_0621.jpg

Last edited:

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I've pulled photoshop's saturation a bit here:

IMG_0618.jpg

If the box is correct - it was sold in Europe between 1870 and 1878.

I was just going to say that if you could tell us more about the ring, we might be able to speculate better whether the box was original (can you tell I'm dying to hear all about the ring).

Hmm now I'm thinking that would be difficult if not impossible to tell, since boxes and jewellery pieces get shuffled around all the time (I often store my antique things in random antique boxes I find, imagine the confusion if they ever get passed on to someone else without a note). Still, it can be a useful clue. Have you tried researching the maker/shop on the box (if there's one)? What makes you say it's from between 1870 - 1878?

Quite likely - it's very worn! Is there any way of saying if a ring belongs to a box or not?

IMG_0621.jpg

Wow, that is really quite worn, she's been well loved! That's wonderful, and wonderful that the ring front is still in such good condition.

Have you had the ring tested for gold purity?

And I'm sure you know or have done the research already, but old mine cut diamonds were prevalent during the 19th century (its successor, the old European cut, didn't emerge until around the 1890s), so a ring from the 1870s could definitely have one of these.

Last edited:

SteveD

Rough_Rock
I was just going to say that if you could tell us more about the ring, we might be able to speculate better whether the box was original (can you tell I'm dying to hear all about the ring).

Hmm now I'm thinking that would be difficult if not impossible to tell, since boxes and jewellery pieces get shuffled around all the time (I often store my antique things in random antique boxes I find, imagine the confusion if they ever get passed on to someone else without a note). Still, it can be a useful clue. Have you tried researching the maker/shop on the box (if there's one)? What makes you say it's from between 1870 - 1878?

Wow, that is really quite worn, she's been well loved! That's wonderful, and wonderful that the ring front is still in such good condition.

Have you had the ring tested for gold purity?

And I'm sure you know or have done the research already, but old mine cut diamonds were prevalent during the 19th century (its successor, the old European cut, didn't emerge until around the 1890s), so a ring from the 1870s could definitely have one of these.

That's why I was going round the houses - to see if anyone would be able to reference another piece to help confirm it's provenance, I realise now that's a looong shot! So here's what the box says: IMG_0620.jpg

SteveD

Rough_Rock
That's why I was going round the houses - to see if anyone would be able to reference another piece to help confirm it's provenance, I realise now that's a looong shot! So here's what the box says: IMG_0620.jpg

Rue De Chateaudun was renamed hence we can be specific to the date - 1870 to 1878

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock

Ah, that muddies the water more. I'm not familiar with antique Tiffany's catalogue (and have limited interest in the current brand), but I doubt this design would have been specific to any Victorian jewellery maker, as it's a fairly familiar look and Victorian jewellery houses/shops/workshops often made pieces with very similar motifs and design elements. Even Tiffany's iconic 1886 diamond solitaire engagement ring design soon became widely copied.

But again I'm not a Tiffany expert, so do take my speculation with a grain of salt. Perhaps someone will know more!

The box itself would be worth something and very collectable.

Have you considered taking it to an appraiser if you want to be sure?

SteveD

Rough_Rock
Ah, that muddies the water more. I'm not familiar with antique Tiffany's catalogue (and have limited interest in the current brand), but I doubt this design would have been specific to any Victorian jewellery maker, as it's a fairly familiar look and Victorian jewellery houses/shops/workshops often made pieces with very similar motifs and design elements. Even Tiffany's iconic 1886 diamond solitaire engagement ring design soon became widely copied.

But again I'm not a Tiffany expert, so do take my speculation with a grain of salt. Perhaps someone will know more!

The box itself would be worth something and very collectable.

Have you considered taking it to an appraiser if you want to be sure?

I did consider getting it valued until someone told me the appraisel is priced as a percentage of the value! I thought it might be an idea to get a better understanding before entering such a contract :) It's a mystery which I'm enjoying pursuing - and that itself is worth more than cash.

I do know it came into the family in 1914 - my Great Grandmother worked for a publishing house (The Bodley Head) and a client, a Mrs Henshaw gave it to her.

Last edited:

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I just bought this ring for my birthday :) The hallmark suggests it was assayed in 1894 (Chester). Its 18ct and has genuine old cut diamonds and sapphires. I wanted a Victorian ring and I am just in love with it!

233.jpg 23.jpg

Wow!!! I love it... Especially the dolphin or fish. I would think that who ever had it made lived near the ocean.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of my jewelry is reproduction of vintage/antique styles (including my engagement ring and wedding band).

This is my first actual vintage piece (possibly antique as I was told it may be Edwardian).

I saw this on Victor Barbone and I HAD to snatch it up when I saw those culets on the antique pears and the high crown on the OMC in the middle.

It’s estimated to be 1.4 tcw set in platinum. The OMC being around .5 ct and the sides being .9 tcw. All 3 estimated to be I-J color, VS-SI clarity. One of the pears is definitely bigger than the the other so they are not an exact match but I think that adds to the charm!

I purchased it thinking the setting may need to be replaced (it was sized down before being sent to me but I suspect it was sized up at some point as well) and that I will wear it as an index finger ring/RHR ring finger ring (same ring size) for now and that I may use the pears for a long term RHR project I have in mind down the line. BUT the setting is actually fabulous and I do think the pears are too different in size to use for my big RHR ring project (which may take even longer now that this ring has taken a chunk out of my saving up for the project lol). My plan is now to just keep it as is because it has exceeded my expection!

This is the cutest piece I have in my collection and I ADORE it already! 9E956919-2739-44BC-B01F-05833CB25B83.jpeg

Attachments

• AB6C3DA2-8D69-41BB-B6D5-F7DDE52E0903.jpeg
    AB6C3DA2-8D69-41BB-B6D5-F7DDE52E0903.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 13B7D7B1-514E-454C-A94C-0C3F2551C41A.jpeg
    13B7D7B1-514E-454C-A94C-0C3F2551C41A.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this counts for this sub forum so mods please delete if not. It’s not an antique nor a reproduction on one, just a sapphire and diamond 18K white gold ring with a Wink Jones OEC center I had made in 2009 when I wanted to try out antique cuts with an Edwardian-ish setting.

Attachments

• EEDACDFF-96CE-4CFC-B799-AF7754CAFB76.jpeg
    EEDACDFF-96CE-4CFC-B799-AF7754CAFB76.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 18
  • 75520B3F-88D8-4909-ABA7-8E15E88C24D6.jpeg
    75520B3F-88D8-4909-ABA7-8E15E88C24D6.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2EBD55FF-B207-47DC-9330-6225076E2949.jpeg
    2EBD55FF-B207-47DC-9330-6225076E2949.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 19

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Here's my antique style custom ring set with a Burmese pigeon blood red spinel.

Attachments

• C756A39F-38B3-4D6F-AC7D-BC8F6B90F4A2.jpeg
    C756A39F-38B3-4D6F-AC7D-BC8F6B90F4A2.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2215DC1C-32C9-4A72-90E2-2C5B17B021CC.jpeg
    2215DC1C-32C9-4A72-90E2-2C5B17B021CC.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Here's my antique style custom ring set with a Burmese pigeon blood red spinel.

Where did you get that mounting? Is it an Oro spot? I want one.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Where did you get that mounting? Is it an Oro spot? I want one.

Yes, it absolutely is from OroSpot. I love their ring settings and their workman ship is beautiful.

The original setting was 14k rose gold with an oval stone set North/South. I asked to modify the stone to sit East/West with a white gold crown.

Here's a pic from 2018 when it was set with a blue spinel. Then I got it into my head that I wanted a red spinel. I should have stayed with the blue as I've had nothing but trouble with the red spinel.

Attachments

• D5AFF2F6-5A54-464F-819F-C14F239C64A6.jpeg
    D5AFF2F6-5A54-464F-819F-C14F239C64A6.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DF96AE5A-641E-441D-811F-540F54F8D454.jpeg
    DF96AE5A-641E-441D-811F-540F54F8D454.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 8

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it absolutely is from OroSpot. I love their ring settings and their workman ship is beautiful.

The original setting was 14k rose gold with an oval stone set North/South. I asked to modify the stone to sit East/West with a white gold crown.

Here's a pic from 2018 when it was set with a blue spinel. Then I got it into my head that I wanted a red spinel. I should have stayed with the blue as I've had nothing but trouble with the red spinel.

Love it, but nosy as I am :lol: spill about the red spinel?! What happened? Was it a cut/depth issue? I hope you kept the blue as they are getting even more rare.
I was toying with putting one of these two in an Oro. Though, the smaller has some inclusions that may be better set into a bezel.
20220330_140052.jpg

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I gave the blue spinel to my niece, she had it set and wears it every day.

My 'Burmese pigeon blood red' spinel is 3.5 carats and was gorgeous. It has sparkle, size and is the red is very pretty. It had one tiny flea bite inclusion on the table that wasn't visible unless you knew to look for it.

I took my spinel to a local jeweler to be set. Little did I know the guy's workbench was so sloppy...

When I picked up my ring, I had to leave right away to meet with a client. While at a red light, I was admiring my ring when I noticed a scratch all the way across the table that also chipped the pavilion.

I took my ring back to the jeweler and he tried to deny any culpability. However, before I bought the spinel I was given a video which I told him about.

The jeweler sent my stone to be recut. During the cutting process, the lapridary removed enough material from the table, to get rid of the scratch and chip, but that brought the inclusion closer to the surface.

After that, I had a couple of rings sized - due to COVID-19 it was by appointment only. While waiting, I was able to go in back and see the jeweler's bench -- it's a pigsty.

I think he was storing client gemstones in the metal drawers on his workbench and accidentally smashed my spinel.

So now for the past 3- yrs. I've had a 'Burmese pigeon blood red' spinel that I never wear because I'm afraid it's unstable and will become more damaged.

I need to have it recut but once I do that it probably won't fit in my OroSpot ring setting anymore.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results