shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks both for the advice, silly question but if it’s been resized by VCA, how/why is that different to getting a new one?

Seems like this resizing thing is not common, I’ll dig into more detail next time I’m in store and report back :)

Because your paperwork shows the original size; same for VCA records. Once you've changed the size, it's no longer the one on the paperwork & VCA records. That might be an issue should you ever want to sell the ring in the future.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow VCA worshippers, hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Please can I ask a question about SOing and resizing?

I’ve been hankering after an Alhambra ring to wear as a pinky / signet ring for some time and, despite popping into various VCAs in London and NYC, never managed to try on a ring in a small enough size to fit my pinky.

Imagine my surprise when, during a late night VCA rabbit hole session (anyone else get these?), I found a black onyx Alhambra ring on the VCA website in size 46!

It was delivered today and, sadly, it’s still too big :(2 However, when I visited the London flagship store, they mentioned they could SO a smaller size (which would take 3-4 months at the same price) or resize my ring (which would take 2 months).

Please can I ask:
1) Is the resizing service offered as standard? If so, I’m confused why the 3/4 VCA boutiques prior didn’t tell me about this
2) If I SO a “standard design”, is the price the same?

Thanks in advance, and here are a couple of pics =)2

65994CD6-E732-4516-B4E5-4C8988C02DEA.jpeg
BE5ACECA-1D7E-499A-8965-B11ECA50C157.jpeg

:appl:Wow! That truly makes an awesome pinky ring! Enjoy!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks both for the advice, silly question but if it’s been resized by VCA, how/why is that different to getting a new one?

Seems like this resizing thing is not common, I’ll dig into more detail next time I’m in store and report back :)

So I’m not even sure that they will resize it (they might - I just don’t know!) but when something is sized down, the metal is cut and a small piece is taken out and then it’s re-joined.

So by sizing you’ve now got a shank that’s had a surgery. It’s infinitesimally less sturdy.

My second reason is definitely something to ask about, but Cartier has a policy where the first resize is free. If VCA has something similar - it would be a pity to “spend” that on something totally avoidable!

I also have no idea how the stamps and internal records work, to Phoenix’s point. I also question if they’d actually update a resize in their internal systems.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m not even sure that they will resize it (they might - I just don’t know!) but when something is sized down, the metal is cut and a small piece is taken out and then it’s re-joined.

So by sizing you’ve now got a shank that’s had a surgery. It’s infinitesimally less sturdy.

My second reason is definitely something to ask about, but Cartier has a policy where the first resize is free. If VCA has something similar - it would be a pity to “spend” that on something totally avoidable!

I also have no idea how the stamps and internal records work, to Phoenix’s point. I also question if they’d actually update a resize in their internal systems.

I am pretty sure they don't re-size and they don't update their records. The item is sold as it's made and offered.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure they don't re-size and they don't update their records. The item is sold as it's made and offered.
Ok. I stand corrected:).

I just spoke to a friend who's had her ring re-sized. It was a Lucky Butterfly ring. It was sized up and they shaved down the inside of the shank. So looks like they may be able to re-size single Alhambra rings. But the ring would be somewhat not perfect.

I was also incorrect about VCA records. The new invoice should show the new size and therefore presumably VCA would update their records to reflect the new size (that would match with the serial number).

BTF rings cannot be re-sized, however.

Last edited:

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Random. My husband purchased a sweet Alhambra heart for me. He sent it to be sized.

They sent me someone else’s bracelet (which is lovely… but funny).

It’s a MOP, rose gold bracelet. Which I’m returning to the store.

BUT I’ve kind of decided I love it. I’m thinking of asking for a sweet Alhambra in white gold 6 motif (custom). Has anyone had any experience with a sweet special order?

I’m also hoping my heart one shows up at some point.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know how much it costs or what the procedure is for shortening a Vintage Alhambra bracelet that you buy pre-loved?

I am tempted by one but I'd like to know my costs/hassles ahead of time.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know how much it costs or what the procedure is for shortening a Vintage Alhambra bracelet that you buy pre-loved?

I know that there is a complimentary resizing within the first year of purchase. Since you are buying pre-loved, I would ask VCA directly to get the most accurate answer.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Random. My husband purchased a sweet Alhambra heart for me. He sent it to be sized.

They sent me someone else’s bracelet (which is lovely… but funny).

It’s a MOP, rose gold bracelet. Which I’m returning to the store.

BUT I’ve kind of decided I love it. I’m thinking of asking for a sweet Alhambra in white gold 6 motif (custom). Has anyone had any experience with a sweet special order?

I’m also hoping my heart one shows up at some point.

The only MOP + rose gold bracelets are either $14k for the GMOP/pave or a special order... I would be furious if my expensive/custom order bracelet was mailed out to someone random, oh my goodness :eek-2:Did they send paperwork with it too!?

I hope whoever muffed that up is appropriately apologetic!! If it’s someone you work with - time to find a new SA!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

$180. But in the US SAs can waive those fees - at their discretion.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
The only MOP + rose gold bracelets are either $14k for the GMOP/pave or a special order... I would be furious if my expensive/custom order bracelet was mailed out to someone random, oh my goodness :eek-2:Did they send paperwork with it too!?

I hope whoever muffed that up is appropriately apologetic!! If it’s someone you work with - time to find a new SA!

Yssie,

No paperwork. My husband sent a text to the SA but no answer yet.

He’s asking where his heart is! And also for a custom order for me… sweet 5 motif in MOP with white gold.

This bracelet isn’t alternating motifs. MOP all around. I kind of like it! I think it’s a custom piece.

I have to VCA 2-3 times looking at vintage Alhambra and have been told over and over that they are “too big” for my wrist. This one doesn’t look bad at all and I’m now wondering if it’s not as bad.

Maybe this was a coincidence. What are the chances? I’ve never heard of this happening !

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie,

No paperwork. My husband sent a text to the SA but no answer yet.

He’s asking where his heart is! And also for a custom order for me… sweet 5 motif in MOP with white gold.

This bracelet isn’t alternating motifs. MOP all around. I kind of like it! I think it’s a custom piece.

I have to VCA 2-3 times looking at vintage Alhambra and have been told over and over that they are “too big” for my wrist. This one doesn’t look bad at all and I’m now wondering if it’s not as bad.

Maybe this was a coincidence. What are the chances? I’ve never heard of this happening !

It’s definitely someone’s SO. How absolutely terrible. I hope they can locate your heart quickly, and I hope this bracelet’s owner’s SA sends her a bucket of flowers. At minimum. She might not even have seen it yet - imagine going into a boutique and seeing someone random trying your special order on - the one you’ve waited months for - before you. Someone messed up in a major major way here.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

I bought one from @diamondseeker2006 and sent it in to be shortened via my SA. I was shocked but she did not charge me. It took about a week or week and a half. She mailed me a label, I sent it in, and it was back before I knew it. Super easy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@allycat0303 @LLJsmom has a number of Vintage bracelets. They’re beautiful and she wears them with poise and style. She also has small wrists and has 6-8 links taken out. No reason small-wristed people can’t enjoy these pieces too!! ❤️

An older thread with a ton of great mod shots :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@allycat0303 - trust me. It’s just a matter of your eyes getting used to the size. I convinced myself for a couple of years that the vintage size was too big for me but after wearing one for a couple of days I found it’s not at all. Just like DSS. But this is motif shrinking syndrome. My wrist is 5 inches and I shorten them all, taking 6 or 8 links out. The whole point is to see the motifs. So shortening them reduces the number of links between each motif and more will be visible from every angle, the benefit of having a small wrist. Don’t let people convince you to do things their way. Go with what you see and what you feel comfort with.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BE6853FD-E7E5-42AF-9724-990FC3F412B6.jpeg My husband surprised me with the Guilloche with two diamond motifs. He said when he saw it, it blew him away. This is a gorgeous piece and I feel lucky to own it. I know there’s been some controversy surrounding packaging with VCA, but they gave him the box without him asking. I’m happy to own the box because I do use them for safe storage.

Wow this really is lovely on you! Enjoy

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still waiting on my earrings so no fancy photos but I wanted to share ::)

Things I love:
- Wearability!! That super low profile is ❤️
- The finish is impeccable inside and out :love:
- How the design manages to retain its dimensionality (despite the limbo-low rise)
- Super sparkly pave! :cool2:

Things I don’t love:
- The shank is thinner than I’d like (2.4mm wide and 1.4mm deep at the bottom) and has some give - noticeably less sturdy than my Cartier BTF
- The hollowed out shank interior!

So literally the very first thing I always do when I get a new sparkly is catalogue its flaws… And I’m not used to finding anything unlikeable with VCA’s pieces! So I reacted pretty harshly at first. But I admit it’s grown on me a lot over the past couple days - and I *love* the idea of having a Frivole set. I think… Worth the price sans branding? Nope. Worth the price given that it is branded? Still a tough sell for me TBH. But worth the price if one loves the Frivole design? Sure, I can justify that. ❤️

34A9F7D7-6E41-464D-87D5-ECA2A935BA44.jpeg

4AEDA4DA-1738-4A14-B198-C1AE13D696A8.jpeg

F91A9E3E-0368-46E1-B6DF-EBFC69FCAD24.jpeg

020B2BFE-A372-4EAE-B8C9-7A807A8BBF8C.jpeg

BBF407DC-2F34-4D19-97EE-BB87E5358F55.jpeg

42019A3A-F68A-42FB-9FE7-18F953E06E6B.jpeg
00A02A5B-7C3F-4CBB-AD41-235FBE473CA4.jpeg

278D0354-6E93-42AF-AD68-D1533FA6DD45.jpeg

One of my very favorite VCA rings of all time! beautiful and looks amazing on your hand Yssie. Sigh

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to follow up on the resizing of rings at VCA as I went into store today.

The rings which can be resized (e.g. single motifs) can be resized up or down by two sizes. Current wait time of up to 2 months for resizing.

There are rings that can't be resized e.g. the Perlee (which makes sense given the design). My SA thinks the current version of the Perlee bands will get phased out as no new stock has been sent to them for ages - which is annoying as I wanted to get a medium Perlee. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

Regarding my pinky ring - given the advice from phoenix and yssie, I asked for one to be special ordered in size 44 even though the original ring was size 46 so it could've been resized. Interestingly, Europe doesn't stock any rings smaller than size 45 so these have to be made specially - which will take 3-4 months.

As a result of this order, they took all my existing paperwork, 'refunded' me the cost of the ring as store credit, and will issue new paperwork once the new ring is here.

Can't wait til its arrival! :geek2:

1672777611007.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can finally wear my wg vintage alhambra! Not surprisingly @yssie was correct and it looks amazing with the Ecrou.

8B2AE764-A099-4CC4-99F4-0262C36E88C6.jpeg

KILL ER stack.
Like legit, if I saw your arm I’d walk straight into traffic for a better look. (Let someone else clean up the splat. Don’t get those Ecrou threads grubby!)
Love how you’ve managed “glitz” without diamonds. Just a lil’ edgy. You and LLJsmom must have similar style.
You had two links taken out right?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
KILL ER stack.
Like legit, if I saw your arm I’d walk straight into traffic for a better look. (Let someone else clean up the splat. Don’t get those Ecrou threads grubby!)
Love how you’ve managed “glitz” without diamonds. Just a lil’ edgy. You and LLJsmom must have similar style.
You had two links taken out right?

Thank you! And thank you for the idea to put the vintage Alhambra with the Ecrou. Hopefully I would have gotten there eventually, but I remember you made a point to say it would be gorgeous. And oh, you were right!

Yes, I had two links taken out. My wrist is 6.5 inches, and I believe two links out measures 7 inches. It seems to work well with my various bangles. I am loving the easy wear of this bracelet. Have also been pairing it with the JUC a lot—another good and unexpected pairing!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! And thank you for the idea to put the vintage Alhambra with the Ecrou. Hopefully I would have gotten there eventually, but I remember you made a point to say it would be gorgeous. And oh, you were right!

Yes, I had two links taken out. My wrist is 6.5 inches, and I believe two links out measures 7 inches. It seems to work well with my various bangles. I am loving the easy wear of this bracelet. Have also been pairing it with the JUC a lot—another good and unexpected pairing!

Pictures!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can finally wear my wg vintage alhambra! Not surprisingly @yssie was correct and it looks amazing with the Ecrou.

I love how you’re wearing these WG pieces. Looks fabulous on you.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures!

Here you go!
82A78FD2-24E8-409E-B855-A037E73B3BA9.jpeg

F28C85E3-72A3-421D-BE1C-9EBE7F0329BA.jpeg

They move all around. Everything also looks very big right now. I swell and shrink pretty dramatically with weather and autoimmune stuff. I thought all my bracelets were borderline too tight in the summer and yesterday I could turn my signature Perlee around. Basically, I end up a happy medium most of the time but sometimes I’m at either extreme.

It’s funny, my fingers are the same as wrists. Idk if anyone else swells and shrinks like this but it drives me batty.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock

Loving this look. Elegant and edgy at the same time.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here you go!

They move all around. Everything also looks very big right now. I swell and shrink pretty dramatically with weather and autoimmune stuff. I thought all my bracelets were borderline too tight in the summer and yesterday I could turn my signature Perlee around. Basically, I end up a happy medium most of the time but sometimes I’m at either extreme.

It’s funny, my fingers are the same as wrists. Idk if anyone else swells and shrinks like this but it drives me batty.

This stack is so YOU! Seriously, your personal style really shines through with this. Both classy and edgy at the same time. Thoroughly modern, slightly unexpected. I love it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go!

Absolutely lovely! You could wear any combo in any way, as they all complement each other so beautifully.

i swell. Fingers, wrists & ankles. It started about 4 years ago when my hormones started going a bit wonky. I wore all 3 wedding rings stacked through both pregnancies without issue, when friends had to remove theirs etc. But now i can generally only wear wedding & solitaire on one hand & eternity on the other, as 90% of the time all 3 are too tight & i can’t get them off. When my hands are very cold, they spin & clank around & I can stack them fine. Over the last year i have noticed my watch feeling tight when I’m very hot Too. It‘s very annoying!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results