shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I’m in Sydney ATM and stopped to look in the window at VCA. I wanted to take photos for you ladies, but was worried they’d think I was ‘casing the joint’ :lol:

I was in Paris recently and took pics of the windows all around the Place Vendôme! (And yes, the various stores' guards scowled at me hahah.) I'll post them as soon as I catch up on mailing out my holiday packages. Never seen so many giant diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, etc in one place in my life before!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still waiting on my earrings so no fancy photos but I wanted to share ::)

Things I love:
- Wearability!! That super low profile is ❤️
- The finish is impeccable inside and out :love:
- How the design manages to retain its dimensionality (despite the limbo-low rise)
- Super sparkly pave! :cool2:

Things I don’t love:
- The shank is thinner than I’d like (2.4mm wide and 1.4mm deep at the bottom) and has some give - noticeably less sturdy than my Cartier BTF
- The hollowed out shank interior!

So literally the very first thing I always do when I get a new sparkly is catalogue its flaws… And I’m not used to finding anything unlikeable with VCA’s pieces! So I reacted pretty harshly at first. But I admit it’s grown on me a lot over the past couple days - and I *love* the idea of having a Frivole set. I think… Worth the price sans branding? Nope. Worth the price given that it is branded? Still a tough sell for me TBH. But worth the price if one loves the Frivole design? Sure, I can justify that. ❤️

34A9F7D7-6E41-464D-87D5-ECA2A935BA44.jpeg

4AEDA4DA-1738-4A14-B198-C1AE13D696A8.jpeg

F91A9E3E-0368-46E1-B6DF-EBFC69FCAD24.jpeg

020B2BFE-A372-4EAE-B8C9-7A807A8BBF8C.jpeg

BBF407DC-2F34-4D19-97EE-BB87E5358F55.jpeg

42019A3A-F68A-42FB-9FE7-18F953E06E6B.jpeg
00A02A5B-7C3F-4CBB-AD41-235FBE473CA4.jpeg

278D0354-6E93-42AF-AD68-D1533FA6DD45.jpeg

Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You already know that I absolutely love it on you! :kiss2: It's such an iconic VCA design!
Just be glad you are getting it now before any future price increases!

Can't wait to see your btf ring paired together w/ your SO Frivole earrings! Need lots of modeling shots when you do finally receive them! I love matchy-matchy sets!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You already know that I absolutely love it on you! :kiss2: It's such an iconic VCA design!
Just be glad you are getting it now before any future price increases!

Can't wait to see your btf ring paired together w/ your SO Frivole earrings! Need lots of modeling shots when you do finally receive them! I love matchy-matchy sets!

OMG. So glad I snuck it in before the last price hike!! And the earrings, those I’m totally giddy-excited about - I’m such an earrings person :bigsmile:

Crazy as it is… I think my only “need” pieces that aren’t already in progress are Vintage pave earrings in RG and Rose de Noel earrings in carnelian. I’m pretty sure I’ll run into another price increase before I can buy those though!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Things I love:
- How the design manages to retain its dimensionality (despite the limbo-low rise)

Things I don’t love:
- The shank is thinner than I’d like (2.4mm wide and 1.4mm deep at the bottom) and has some give - noticeably less sturdy than my Cartier BTF

So literally the very first thing I always do when I get a new sparkly is catalogue its flaws… And I’m not used to finding anything unlikeable with VCA’s pieces! So I reacted pretty harshly at first. But I admit it’s grown on me a lot over the past couple days - and I *love* the idea of having a Frivole set. I think… Worth the price sans branding? Nope. Worth the price given that it is branded? Still a tough sell for me TBH. But worth the price if one loves the Frivole design? Sure, I can justify that. ❤️

LOVE the ring.. LOVE the way it looks on your hand and LOVE that you have a set.
Enjoy it all.. it's amazing!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Things I love:

Things I don’t love:

It’s so beautiful on your graceful hands and perfect for you too. VCA pave is to die for. It totally won you over. I can’t believe how patient you were. I couldn’t have waited this long. Worth the wait tho. It’s impossible to get a pave order now.

P

Petalouda

@yssie Your Frivole ring is absolutely stunning!! Were you able to try one on before you bought it? I am curious to see if they changed the design a bit (thinner shank/ hollowed out shank interior) or if it was always designed this way.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Your Frivole ring is absolutely stunning!! Were you able to try one on before you bought it? I am curious to see if they changed the design a bit (thinner shank/ hollowed out shank interior) or if it was always designed this way.

I did try it on several months ago! But I didn’t pay very close attention - too blinded by the blingitude face-up I’m afraid :lol:

I’ve seen older preloved versions of this ring - 2000s and earlier - and they don’t have the shank hollows… I haven’t been able to figure out exactly when the design changed. It’s just so clearly for cost savings, and we’re paying way too much for these pieces for that!

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Things I love:

Things I don’t love:

Just love these pictures.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was in Paris recently and took pics of the windows all around the Place Vendôme! (And yes, the various stores' guards scowled at me hahah.) I'll post them as soon as I catch up on mailing out my holiday packages. Never seen so many giant diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, etc in one place in my life before!

I Hope you enjoyed your trip. Did you manage to do a course at l’école?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I Hope you enjoyed your trip. Did you manage to do a course at l’école?

Hi Rosie!

Yes, my husband and I both took the half day course where we got to see the high jewelry being made. It was amazing! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I would have never know about it had you not mentioned it. I particularly loved being shown how the creative/design team comes up with the theme for each new high jewelry collection. We got to see the the start through finish process of their sketches and revisions and the prototype in non precious metals/stones. So very interesting.

My husband loved it too, he's now a devoted VCA fan. I only wish it translated into him buying me a piece someday LOL. He's not into buying jewelry, every piece I own, even when its for a "holiday gift" I research, select, and often pay for myself. :( Maybe (fingers crossed) this course will inspire him to take the initiative.

Thanks so much! It was the highlight of my trip.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rosie!

Yes, my husband and I both took the half day course where we got to see the high jewelry being made. It was amazing! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I would have never know about it had you not mentioned it. I particularly loved being shown how the creative/design team comes up with the theme for each new high jewelry collection. We got to see the the start through finish process of their sketches and revisions and the prototype in non precious metals/stones. So very interesting.

My husband loved it too, he's now a devoted VCA fan. I only wish it translated into him buying me a piece someday LOL. He's not into buying jewelry, every piece I own, even when its for a "holiday gift" I research, select, and often pay for myself. :( Maybe (fingers crossed) this course will inspire him to take the initiative.

What a lovely experience. Crossing my fingers for you too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rosie!

This sounds so wonderful. I’d love to go one day. One day! Can you share any details on how they come up with new collections? I would love to hear more. How long does it usually take, from inception to prototype, or does it vary wildly? And I wonder how the prototypes vetted. So many of VCA’s designs are really so clever… In super subtle and underhand ways - you don’t even realize how clever they are until something brings it to the forefront of conscious thought. Like their oil-slick-when-vertical GMOP Rose de Noel…

I love that your husband enjoyed it so much!! Fingers are crossed that he decides to ride the high and surprise you. And perhaps surprise himself too! Does he wear cufflinks?

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Rosie!

Yay! I’m so glad you went and enjoyed the experience :)

I have no advice to give on asking hubby to buy you jewellery. Your set up sounds exactly the same as mine. I do see it from a slightly different angle: I truly enjoy the research planning and saving aspect of building my jewellery collection. I feel proud that all my pieces are researched and paid for by myself.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This sounds so wonderful. I’d love to go one day. One day! Can you share any details on how they come up with new collections? I would love to hear more. How long does it usually take, from inception to prototype, or does it vary wildly? And I wonder how the prototypes vetted. So many of VCA’s designs are really so clever… In super subtle and underhand ways - you don’t even realize how clever they are until something brings it to the forefront of conscious thought. Like their oil-slick-when-vertical GMOP Rose de Noel…

I love that your husband enjoyed it so much!! Fingers are crossed that he decides to ride the high and surprise you. And perhaps surprise himself too! Does he wear cufflinks?

Hi @yssie :wavey:

It was such a neat experience, the next time you plan to be in Paris, I highly recommend signing up for it.

VCA made us sign a non-disclosure agreement about everything we saw/learned/experienced in the class, and had us turn off and store our phones, so no pics. So I'm really limited in what I can share, even though I feel like a puppy who's so excited to share I'm jumping up and down!

Here are some things that I don't think are proprietary/secret that I can share to answer your questions:

They stressed the following themes throughout the course:

"Never invention from a void, nor simple reproduction of the past. Not blindly following fashion, nor going against our aesthetic principles."

"Both symmetry & asymmetry"

"Fidelity to our Roots"

"Animals, Flora, Astronomy, Imaginary World, Faraway Places, Couture and Dance" as the major inspiration themes.

For each high jewelry collection there are only and exactly 100 pieces made.

Approximately 1 high jewelry collection is produced per year (though the R&D takes longer than that.)

That's all I feel I can say without going against what they asked from us, which I want to respect.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @yssie :wavey:

It was such a neat experience, the next time you plan to be in Paris, I highly recommend signing up for it.

VCA made us sign a non-disclosure agreement about everything we saw/learned/experienced in the class, and had us turn off and store our phones, so no pics. So I'm really limited in what I can share, even though I feel like a puppy who's so excited to share I'm jumping up and down!

Here are some things that I don't think are proprietary/secret that I can share to answer your questions:

They stressed the following themes throughout the course:

"Never invention from a void, nor simple reproduction of the past. Not blindly following fashion, nor going against our aesthetic principles."

"Both symmetry & asymmetry"

"Fidelity to our Roots"

"Animals, Flora, Astronomy, Imaginary World, Faraway Places, Couture and Dance" as the major inspiration themes.

Approximately 1 high jewelry collection is produced per year (though the R&D takes longer than that.)

That's all I feel I can say without going against what they asked from us, which I want to respect.
Ah, that makes sense. The NDA. Thank you for sharing what you could, it really sounds like a marvellous experience!!

I’m very curious about this:
I shall have to ask my SA if this is for all of time, or in the first release, or something else... And if it applies to everything under the HJ label on the website or if it’s for only the truly exceptional lines…

I do appreciate the “symmetric asymmetry” that VCA’s designers embrace. It’s present in so many of their lines. I can’t think of another house that does this.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I’m very curious about this:
I shall have to ask my SA if this is for all of time, or in the first release, or something else... And if it applies to everything under the HJ label on the website or if it’s for only the truly exceptional lines…

This I can answer! They explained it to us (seared it into our brains actually.)

VCA has 3 types of jewelry.

1. The stuff like Alhambra, Perlee, etc that most of us on PS buy, is mass produced (though done by hand) and not at their Paris location.

2. Then there's the items that are higher-end, but still produced in open-ended amounts that sometimes are incorrectly referred to as "high jewelry" but are NOT considered high jewelry by their headquarters or upper management. This includes items that can be purchased off the VCA website, but are very expensive, for example the snowflake line. (I tried on a snowflake necklace once at my local boutique and I remember it being well over $100K.)

3. High jewelry. VCA headquarters only labels the one-of-a-kind pieces produced for their unique, once-a-year collections as "high jewelry." The teachers of the workshop were adamant about this. For example, if you scroll back a few pages, someone posted a pic of a pair of wire fox terrier brooches that are part of the Noah's ark collection. Those are high jewelry. There is only one pair of them, no other ones will ever be made. They are part of a set of 100 pieces made for that collection.

I will never forget the above categories because they were presented in a way that stung (more than a little). Myself and several other members of the student group wore our VCA pieces to the workshop -- I spied the Alhambra line, Lucky Spring and Perlee to name a few. And I could tell we were all proud of them! The teacher, when she was describing the above categories, enjoyed...no relished...telling us that the pieces we were wearing were mass produced, "lower end" and NOT made in Paris (said with a sneer). She even specifically pointed to the onyx Alhambra earrings I was wearing as an example.

And at another time during the workshop I asked about the Letterwood (because I thought that was such a cool story about it being part of their history) the teacher made one of the most disgusted faces I've ever seen and let us know wood was only used in the low-end collections and beneath her interest/concern because this was a class on high jewelry.

But despite the unpleasantness of this particular teacher, the class overall was wonderful. All the other teachers, designers and crafts people we met were patient, kind and gave us their all. I am not turned off of VCA from the comments of one snobby employee. Quite the opposite, I have a new appreciation for the teams of talented, dedicated artisans making the exquisite jewelry. They are the true beating heart of VCA.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This I can answer! They explained it to us (seared it into our brains actually.)

VCA has 3 types of jewelry.

1. The stuff like Alhambra, Perlee, etc that most of us on PS buy, is mass produced (though done by hand) and not at their Paris location.

2. Then there's the items that are higher-end, but still produced in open-ended amounts that sometimes are incorrectly referred to as "high jewelry" but are NOT considered high jewelry by their headquarters or upper management. This includes items that can be purchased off the VCA website, but are very expensive, for example the snowflake line. (I tried on a snowflake necklace once at my local boutique and I remember it being well over $100K.)

3. High jewelry. VCA headquarters only labels the one-of-a-kind pieces produced for their unique, once-a-year collections as "high jewelry." The teachers of the workshop were adamant about this. For example, if you scroll back a few pages, someone posted a pic of a pair of wire fox terrier brooches that are part of the Noah's ark collection. Those are high jewelry. There is only one pair of them, no other ones will ever be made. They are part of a set of 100 pieces made for that collection.

I will never forget the above categories because they were presented in a way that stung (more than a little). Myself and several other members of the student group wore our VCA pieces to the workshop -- I spied the Alhambra line, Lucky Spring and Perlee to name a few. And I could tell we were all proud of them! The teacher, when she was describing the above categories, enjoyed...no relished...telling us that the pieces we were wearing were mass produced, "lower end" and NOT made in Paris (said with a sneer). She even specifically pointed to the onyx Alhambra earrings I was wearing as an example.

And at another time during the workshop I asked about the Letterwood (because I thought that was such a cool story about it being part of their history) the teacher made one of the most disgusted faces I've ever seen and let us know wood was only used in the low-end collections and beneath her interest/concern because this was a class on high jewelry.

But despite the unpleasantness of this particular teacher, the class overall was wonderful. All the other teachers, designers and crafts people we met were patient, kind and gave us their all. I am not turned off of VCA from the comments of one snobby employee. Quite the opposite, I have a new appreciation for the teams of talented, dedicated artisans making the exquisite jewelry. They are the true beating heart of VCA.

Oh!! Thank you! I didn’t want to put you on the spot.

And OMG. That’s certainly one way to make an impression with an answer. I think these descriptions are now seared into *my* memory by proxy :shock::lol: No points for tact, that one instructor, that’s for sure!

The three categories, that’s fascinating. Yes, I saw the terriers a few pages ago! And when LLJsmom and I went to VCA in Vegas a few months ago we saw a sapphire ring that I’m sure was also in that third category. I’d wondered about what they call HJ on the website… Your explanation makes a lot more sense. The true high jewels aren’t mass produced like that. 100 pieces made for the collection in total… Elusive and exclusive in the ultimate!!

But I have every confidence that our plebeian, low-class purchases are the company’s bread and butter :lol:

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
But I have every confidence that our plebeian, low-class purchases are the company’s bread and butter :lol:

Yes exactly!

It may sound weird, but I actually relish my "low end" onyx Alhambra earrings/bracelet set even MORE now! (But then I have always been something of a contrarian by nature. )

girl-sticking-out-tongue-c1940s-h-armstrong-robertsclassicstock.jpg

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes exactly!

It may sound weird, but I actually relish my "low end" onyx Alhambra earrings/bracelet set even MORE now! (But then I have always been something of a contrarian by nature. )

girl-sticking-out-tongue-c1940s-h-armstrong-robertsclassicstock.jpg

Ahhaaaa! Best picture ever to convey a feeling about your rather snooty guide.
What an incredible activity for you and your husband to enjoy on vacation.. just a trip to Paris together is the best!
Thanks for letting us in on your adventure and fun!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, did you see that JLo wore medium-sized MOP RdD earrings on Christmas Day? Those are outstanding!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, did you see that JLo wore medium-sized MOP RdD earrings on Christmas Day? Those are outstanding!

Yes!! And yes, they really were!! Love that design so much, it’s so feminine :love: Can’t wait to get my carnelian pair!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!! And yes, they really were!! Love that design so much, it’s so feminine :love: Can’t wait to get my carnelian pair!!

Can't wait for you either!!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello fellow VCA worshippers, hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Please can I ask a question about SOing and resizing?

I’ve been hankering after an Alhambra ring to wear as a pinky / signet ring for some time and, despite popping into various VCAs in London and NYC, never managed to try on a ring in a small enough size to fit my pinky.

Imagine my surprise when, during a late night VCA rabbit hole session (anyone else get these?), I found a black onyx Alhambra ring on the VCA website in size 46!

It was delivered today and, sadly, it’s still too big :(2 However, when I visited the London flagship store, they mentioned they could SO a smaller size (which would take 3-4 months at the same price) or resize my ring (which would take 2 months).

Please can I ask:
1) Is the resizing service offered as standard? If so, I’m confused why the 3/4 VCA boutiques prior didn’t tell me about this
2) If I SO a “standard design”, is the price the same?

Thanks in advance, and here are a couple of pics =)2

65994CD6-E732-4516-B4E5-4C8988C02DEA.jpeg
BE5ACECA-1D7E-499A-8965-B11ECA50C157.jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hello fellow VCA worshippers, hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Please can I ask a question about SOing and resizing?

I’ve been hankering after an Alhambra ring to wear as a pinky / signet ring for some time and, despite popping into various VCAs in London and NYC, never managed to try on a ring in a small enough size to fit my pinky.

Imagine my surprise when, during a late night VCA rabbit hole session (anyone else get these?), I found a black onyx Alhambra ring on the VCA website in size 46!

It was delivered today and, sadly, it’s still too big :(2 However, when I visited the London flagship store, they mentioned they could SO a smaller size (which would take 3-4 months at the same price) or resize my ring (which would take 2 months).

Please can I ask:
1) Is the resizing service offered as standard? If so, I’m confused why the 3/4 VCA boutiques prior didn’t tell me about this

I don't have any answers to your questions. I just wanted to say I think that's gorgeous on you! I adore it (and hope that you can find one that fits you perfectly)!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please can I ask:

It’s super super cute on you!

I can’t answer re. Resizing either, I’m sorry. But I do want to say that since you’re within your return period on the site, I’d personally prefer to buy a new ring in the right size. Why have something that’s been worked on when you can have brand new just by waiting a bit longer, y’know?

It wouldn’t be a special order in the technical sense - just an order placed especially for you. And the price will be the same as website/stock, no premium.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please can I ask:

I didn't think re-sizing was possible...hmm..

Anyway, I second @yssie. Return the ring and wait for the right size.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
It’s super super cute on you!

I can’t answer re. Resizing either, I’m sorry. But I do want to say that since you’re within your return period on the site, I’d personally prefer to buy a new ring in the right size. Why have something that’s been worked on when you can have brand new just by waiting a bit longer, y’know?

It wouldn’t be a special order in the technical sense - just an order placed especially for you. And the price will be the same as website/stock, no premium.

I didn't think re-sizing was possible...hmm..

Anyway, I second @yssie. Return the ring and wait for the right size.

Thanks both for the advice, silly question but if it’s been resized by VCA, how/why is that different to getting a new one?

Seems like this resizing thing is not common, I’ll dig into more detail next time I’m in store and report back :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results