shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your ugly diamonds!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a little pinky ring I got off of eBay in the mid 90's. Lippencott I believe.
You_Doodle_2017-09-20T22_40_31Z.jpg
Wonky McWonky but I really liked it. Well- until I slammed my hand/ring after breaking down at a trade show in Loull-ville. I took back home to local family run jeweler to re prong. Each had six spidery like thin and tall prongs in yellow gold. They took the initiative to insert square white gold baskets. I remember they told me these were the worst excuses for diamonds they had ever set their eyes on.

Could these be very old diamonds? The cut reminds me of some examples of very early diamond cuts, centuries ago. Perhaps they were reset?

Maybe @diagem could advise on whether they are actually trying to be a Period Cut or whether they're just plain terrible! lol

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hpim2110.jpg This is my ugly diamond. It's a 1.22 ct, M color, SI2 clarity stone and the clarity is based on clouds, plus there is a very visible inclusion right in the middle of the table. The cut is not good either.... Truly hideous, both in photos and in real life but when i first got it i thought i liked it:wall:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
@HDer I can't wait to see your ring! I think it's going to be gorgeous. I'm actually amazed that you found something in your price range and I've been waiting anxiously to see the final product!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a little pinky ring I got off of eBay in the mid 90's. Lippencott I believe.
You_Doodle_2017-09-20T22_40_31Z.jpg
Wonky McWonky but I really liked it. Well- until I slammed my hand/ring after breaking down at a trade show in Loull-ville. I took back home to local family run jeweler to re prong. Each had six spidery like thin and tall prongs in yellow gold. They took the initiative to insert square white gold baskets. I remember they told me these were the worst excuses for diamonds they had ever set their eyes on.

Those look like Peruzzi cut diamonds!! You may have gotten yourself a steal!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Exciting! How would you be able to tell if these are authentic Peruzzi cut or Old Mine Cut diamonds?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe @diagem could advise on whether they are actually trying to be a Period Cut or whether they're just plain terrible! lol

Oh no! Just - no!
If anything -and I mean anything- an old single cut.
IMG_0565.PNG
Done by some absent cutter apprentice's pet monkey groomer. With his toes. Crosseyed. Channeling Marty Feldman. In a snowstorm.
These walleyed babies do not deserve to bother Mr. Yoram.
I'd love to own a stone he has cut someday. I don't want to get laughed out of the room if I ever get the chance to see his art.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Just - no!
If anything -and I mean anything- an old single cut.
IMG_0565.PNG
Done by some absent cutter apprentice's pet monkey groomer. With his toes. Crosseyed. Channeling Marty Feldman. In a snowstorm.
These walleyed babies do not deserve to bother Mr. Yoram.
I'd love to own a stone he has cut someday. I don't want to get laughed out of the room if I ever get the chance to see his art.

Well an old single cut would be even older. And somehow the asymmetry actually gives credence to the idea that it's a much older cut because from what I've read a lot of diamonds of the pre-modern era were cut asymmetrically to preserve as much weight as possible.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this qualifies but I have an unusually cut "celebration" diamond that I got second hand. It's a branded cut from *gasp* Zales. Hehe. I got a few comments from PS folks saying they weren't fans of how it looked, especially in contrast to my ags 0 cut diamond I paired it with. But I like the novelty and the contrast and it sparkles like crazy. IMG_8030.JPG 20170705_143935.jpg IMG_7983.JPG

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:D IMG_5569.JPG I have had this stone for close to 40 years. No cert but if I were to guess, it would be an I clarity and O- P color. I have no idea on the cut, hard to tell but it's not good. When I look at it under magnification it's a mess with all the feathers running through it. I had it haloed about 10 years ago. Recently one of the Melee fell out and I had that repaired .... now the halo is messed up!!! I still wear it and actually receive compliments, I just don't brush my teeth on the days I wear it so that people don't stand too close when admiring it!!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:D IMG_5569.JPG I have had this stone for close to 40 years. No cert but if I were to guess, it would be an I clarity and O- P color. I have no idea on the cut, hard to tell but it's not good. When I look at it under magnification it's a mess with all the feathers running through it. I had it haloed about 10 years ago. Recently one of the Melee fell out and I had that repaired .... now the halo is messed up!!! I still wear it and actually receive compliments, I just don't brush my teeth on the days I wear it so that people don't stand too close when admiring it!!!

bwhahahahhahahahahahhahhahhaha.. #killingme

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these look exactly like the old single cuts, in which case they are super old! How cool is that?!? I like them a lot. They are unusual.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this qualifies but I have an unusually cut "celebration" diamond that I got second hand. It's a branded cut from *gasp* Zales. Hehe. I got a few comments from PS folks saying they weren't fans of how it looked, especially in contrast to my ags 0 cut diamond I paired it with. But I like the novelty and the contrast and it sparkles like crazy. IMG_8030.JPG 20170705_143935.jpg IMG_7983.JPG

Wow, I love it.

Dreaming

Rough_Rock
I can't get it to show up in pictures but mine has a gash running all the way across it diagonally. It looks perfect indoors and in sunlight. But repulsive in the car or next to the window. How much would you die to have such a visible inclusion? I feel hoodwinked because I wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen it. It's excellent cut and "colorless" (to me). Pic looks yellow but it's not in real life. 1.07 carat solitaire. 20191213_153602.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get it to show up in pictures but mine has a gash running all the way across it diagonally. It looks perfect indoors and in sunlight. But repulsive in the car or next to the window. How much would you die to have such a visible inclusion? I feel hoodwinked because I wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen it. It's excellent cut and "colorless" (to me). Pic looks yellow but it's not in real life. 1.07 carat solitaire. 20191213_153602.jpg

Did you purchase it recently? If so, are you within the Returns window?

It doesn't look at all bad in that (blurry ;-) ) picture, and sometimes it's cool to have a stone with 'character'.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a fun thread. I love the Peruzzi cut diamonds and the celebration diamond. Right now I am imagining them together in a three stone ring that would be all out of proportion but wonderful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results