shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your ugly diamonds!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Show me the diamonds you keep in the back of the drawer, the ones you leave out on the front porch so you can collect the insurance money, the ones that only sparkled that one time in the jewelry store. The ones that made you say I do but I don't this.

Why am I asking? Well as some of you may know I've recently bought but have not yet received a stone that has been... Polarizing. Some have called it and the others I've considered a bad stone a train wreck a buttery disaster and my personal favorite a lump of frozen spit.

So hit me with the worst! How bad could it really be?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To be clear I'm not looking for the overachievers. I've seen the very goods that look amazing I want to see the EGL D's with the suspicious brown tint.

And this goes without saying but please don't go and post other people's diamonds on this thread. Let's take pity on them and let them rest in peace.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
earrings_13.jpg
Sorry, it's kind of zoomed out. These are my diamond studs (color enhanced), I've never tried to analyze their cut since I got them uncerted. But I am guessing it wouldn't be very good. I love them. They are plenty sparkly on the ear. :)

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those actually look quite nice!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok- here's a pair of promotional salt and pepper studs from a local mall jeweler.
You_Doodle_2017-09-20T22_41_07Z.jpg
I bought them in the mid 90's. I have no other excuse.
Owner slammed them across the counter to me after I paid via credit card. I guess after the fees, he came out in the red.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a little pinky ring I got off of eBay in the mid 90's. Lippencott I believe.
You_Doodle_2017-09-20T22_40_31Z.jpg
Wonky McWonky but I really liked it. Well- until I slammed my hand/ring after breaking down at a trade show in Loull-ville. I took back home to local family run jeweler to re prong. Each had six spidery like thin and tall prongs in yellow gold. They took the initiative to insert square white gold baskets. I remember they told me these were the worst excuses for diamonds they had ever set their eyes on.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok- here's a pair of promotional salt and pepper studs from a local mall jeweler.
You_Doodle_2017-09-20T22_41_07Z.jpg
I bought them in the mid 90's. I have no other excuse.
Owner slammed them across the counter to me after I paid via credit card. I guess after the fees, he came out in the red.

I actually like these studs. Can I ask how much you paid for them?

As for the ring, I'm actually not quite sure what cut those diamonds are supposed to be. Cushion?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like these studs. Can I ask how much you paid for them?

As for the ring, I'm actually not quite sure what cut those diamonds are supposed to be. Cushion?

It had to be under $200 for the studs. .50cttw. One is browner tinted than the other and one has a larger table than the other.
As for the ring- they were classified as "old mine cut" in the listing, but you bet I will never call them that. Because as soon as I do- some one who has a beautifully executed OMC will take issue with it. I loved it for what it was- not what I pretended it to be - or mistook it for.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a little pinky ring I got off of eBay in the mid 90's. Lippencott I believe.
Wonky McWonky but I really liked it. Well- until I slammed my hand/ring after breaking down at a trade show in Loull-ville. I took back home to local family run jeweler to re prong. Each had six spidery like thin and tall prongs in yellow gold. They took the initiative to insert square white gold baskets. I remember they told me these were the worst excuses for diamonds they had ever set their eyes on.
Could these be very old diamonds? The cut reminds me of some examples of very early diamond cuts, centuries ago. Perhaps they were reset?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show me the diamonds you keep in the back of the drawer, the ones you leave out on the front porch so you can collect the insurance money, the ones that only sparkled that one time in the jewelry store. The ones that made you say I do but I don't this.

Why am I asking? Well as some of you may know I've recently bought but have not yet received a stone that has been... Polarizing. Some have called it and the others I've considered a bad stone a train wreck a buttery disaster and my personal favorite a lump of frozen spit.

So hit me with the worst! How bad could it really be?

I'm lost. What is your point?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm lost. What is your point?

Point is to see some ugly diamonds! We see so many beautiful diamonds all the time on PriceScope. Why not show off some of their less attractive counterparts?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Point is to see some ugly diamonds! We see so many beautiful diamonds all the time on PriceScope. Why not show off some of their less attractive counterparts?

Their counterparts? What is a "their"? What does this mean? What is is ugly? What is beautiful? You have no definitions...and..........

I still don't understand. !!!! ....!!! ?

Nitedula

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One of a tiny pair of earrings I bought off eBay - they were about $60, and I got what I paid for! NO comparison at all to the Brian Gavin studs I later bought.

Ugly diamond stud.jpg

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Their counterparts? What is a "their"? What does this mean? What is is ugly? What is beautiful? You have no definitions...and..........

I still don't understand. !!!! ....!!! ?

Well, to put it another way I think when I bought the e-ring a large part of my decision making was guided by fear: fear that she wouldn't like it, fear that the diamond picked out was going to be too colored or too clouded or not bright enough. And even now, I think there's still a fear of "what if James Allen screws up the setting" or "what if the setting stones are so much whiter they really accentuate the brown tint?" So this is a way for me at least to look the fear in the eye and see how bad could it really be?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of a tiny pair of earrings I bought off eBay - they were about $60, and I got what I paid for! NO comparison at all to the Brian Gavin studs I later bought.

Ugly diamond stud.jpg

Well I'm sure the Brian Gavin studs cost a lot more than $60. :) Do you ever still wear these?

Nitedula

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well I'm sure the Brian Gavin studs cost a lot more than $60. :) Do you ever still wear these?

Never! The Brian Gavin ones are bigger, FAR prettier, and also more secure: I lost one of the backs from the cheap ones because there wasn't even a groove in the post to hold it. They were also about 20 times the price, but per wear it's worth it (and I plan to upgrade them soon, too).

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, to put it another way I think when I bought the e-ring a large part of my decision making was guided by fear: fear that she wouldn't like it, fear that the diamond picked out was going to be too colored or too clouded or not bright enough. And even now, I think there's still a fear of "what if James Allen screws up the setting" or "what if the setting stones are so much whiter they really accentuate the brown tint?" So this is a way for me at least to look the fear in the eye and see how bad could it really be?
I think you need to get out of your own head. Your ring is going to be astonishing (in a really good way)! I can't wait to see it...I'm super excited!!! I believe you have chosen something rare & fashionable, yet, beautiful & unique. You just may start a trend!!! ;)2

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you need to get out of your own head. Your ring is going to be astonishing (in a really good way)! I can't wait to see it...I'm super excited!!! I believe you have chosen something rare & fashionable, yet, beautiful & unique. You just may start a trend!!! ;)2

Thanks Matthews. Estimated ship date is next Tuesday!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Matthews. Estimated ship date is next Tuesday!
Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished product...and, of course, hand shots, after you muster the courage to pop the question!!! ;)2
She's going to love it!!! :love:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a cute thread. I had a pair of 1.20 TCW eBay studs that would work here but all in all I was pleased with them until last February one fell out. Now I have one not so special Diamond and nothing to do with it. I like these diamonds in this thread :).

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I purchased 2 separate stones from ebay to make a pair of earrings. Thankfully they were large enough to sell as a pair for a profit.

IMG_3375.JPG

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I love that ring.. and wonky is my favorite word.. sold! lol.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased 2 separate stones from ebay to make a pair of earrings. Thankfully they were large enough to sell as a pair for a profit.

IMG_3375.JPG

Great ending to a pair of in my eyes pretty stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results