shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your tab prongs!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I’m trying to get my ducks in a row for letting WF know the details for my setting. I’m leaning toward tab prongs on the u113, but would love to see photos of what you have!

I found this of a vintage Tiffany setting and thought the prongs were lovely. Becca agreed but said they were more round than tab.

86AFE09E-DFD3-42EE-8B1C-67FC8FE90868.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like those prongs! They are maybe like skinny tabs though I can see why she calls them round. As long as they aren’t thick and blobby (not a word I know!) I would be fine with them. I personally like smaller prongs that just blend in with the diamond.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I like those prongs! They are maybe like skinny tabs though I can see why she calls them round. As long as they aren’t thick and blobby (not a word I know!) I would be fine with them. I personally like smaller prongs that just blend in with the diamond.

I like them, too. My goal is really not to notice the prongs, which is why I was thinking tab. And since it’s a classic Tiffany look, I was also thinking that called more for tab rather than petite claw.

So I suppose my dilemma is whether to have them rounded as above.

And whether I can find any more photos for reference.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1680919481610.png
Here is a close up of my ACA. Whiteflash set the stone and made the prongs. They could be described as round I guess - I just asked for them to be as small as possible but secure. In real life viewing, they truly blend into the diamond. Just an example!
Also, if memory serves me correctly, Diamondseeker’s Vatche setting used the tab prongs. She did not find them large or obtrusive. I am sure there are many pics of that ring here on PS. You might want to consider her pictures too.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
1680919481610.png
Here is a close up of my ACA. Whiteflash set the stone and made the prongs. They could be described as round I guess - I just asked for them to be as small as possible but secure. In real life viewing, they truly blend into the diamond. Just an example!
Also, if memory serves me correctly, Diamondseeker’s Vatche setting used the tab prongs. She did not find them large or obtrusive. I am sure there are many pics of that ring here on PS. You might want to consider her pictures too.

I don’t know if you would call yours round or tab or a combo but they are really gorgeous!

I am going for what you were talking about—blending into the stone. Small and secure.

Thank you for the photo, and I will look up DS’s U113!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks I found a picture of DS’s ring. Here are the tab prongs.

1680920466000.jpeg

Oh, thank you!

Those probably look the closest to what I saw at Tiffany.

It is so funny—I started marriage wanting to stay away from a classic round brilliant solitaire. And here I am, 20 years in, basically going for the most classic look around. Oh, how we change!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option, petite tab prongs like Msop’s ring. Post #225 in this thread:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank you!

Those probably look the closest to what I saw at Tiffany.

It is so funny—I started marriage wanting to stay away from a classic round brilliant solitaire. And here I am, 20 years in, basically going for the most classic look around. Oh, how we change!

Or maybe just that we grow wiser! Lol! A classic look but it never goes out of style and in my opinion, is never boring. Hope yours arrives soon!!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Or maybe just that we grow wiser! Lol! A classic look but it never goes out of style and in my opinion, is never boring. Hope yours arrives soon!!!

Yay for older and wiser and classics!

It will still be a while, I think. Talked to Becca yesterday and she’s getting an update from the cutting guys on Monday, but I don’t think it’s been sent to GIA yet.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for older and wiser and classics!

It will still be a while, I think. Talked to Becca yesterday and she’s getting an update from the cutting guys on Monday, but I don’t think it’s been sent to GIA yet.

Exciting! I bet Becca is excited to see it too - she is great!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
IMG-5999.jpg
C57F582D-736B-4B21-9089-656F785F9AAD (1).jpeg

Ritani tabs

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this picture is so big. It’s a screen shot from Tiffany’s IG video. When I was in the store trying the solitaire on, I didn’t think the tab prongs looked obtrusive at all. In fact, for me it is part of the authentic Tiffany solitaire look.

ETA: DS’s Vatche is probably the closest to the original

45DEC5EA-6740-4D34-9273-E5D0849B9100.jpeg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as the Tiffany solitaire has been admired by many, many must appreciate the tab prongs too. You never hear anyone complain about the prongs when they are gushing about the setting! Just another point to consider - Tiffany has been making it stunning for years!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Do we think tabs make a stone appear rounder with a 4 prong setting? I'm looking for a way to make a 4 prong setting look most round with a round brilliant. I love the type of prings that fold over and blend into the stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks I have so much to catch up on with your new diamond journey!! I’m slating a good part of tomorrow for some eye candy ❤️ And I must say, I love a good tab prong. My temporary mount pre-Margot had tabs - I sent Blue Nile a photo of DS’ prongs as my inspiration. Low maintenance and classic. I don’t think I’ve got any photos though, too many phone changes since then! I love that you’re considering classic tabs!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as the Tiffany solitaire has been admired by many, many must appreciate the tab prongs too. You never hear anyone complain about the prongs when they are gushing about the setting! Just another point to consider - Tiffany has been making it stunning for years!

+ a billion!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks I have so much to catch up on with your new diamond journey!! I’m slating a good part of tomorrow for some eye candy ❤️ And I must say, I love a good tab prong. My temporary mount pre-Margot had tabs - I sent Blue Nile a photo of DS’ prongs as my inspiration. Low maintenance and classic. I don’t think I’ve got any photos though, too many phone changes since then! I love that you’re considering classic tabs!

Yssie! Hey! Hope you’re well!

I’m definitely after low maintenance, classic, and something that won‘t catch. I’m leaning towards tabs but also really like petite claws. My mind keeps telling me that since I liked the Tiffany I tried and this is such a Tiffany look, I should keep it consistent and go for tabs. What I’m finding after looking at a billion photos of prongs is that I’m drawn to the ones that are barely there. @msop04 had just gorgeous prongs on her Jovyn!

So at the end of the day, my goal is really not to notice the prongs, either visually or practically (getting caught on things).

There’s no eye candy of my stone to share yet, unfortunately—it’s not quite done! But I did do a massive upgrade journey post that has a LOT of eye candy and discussion on how I landed where I did! If you get a chance, you might enjoy it.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

This is so true!

However, I will add that this community is particularly attuned to prongs. Outside of PS I have never heard anyone discuss prongs! Seriously, prior to PS I had never given the prongs on my ER a second thought. Now I am here in prong analysis paralysis land.

We are an interesting bunch.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Do we think tabs make a stone appear rounder with a 4 prong setting? I'm looking for a way to make a 4 prong setting look most round with a round brilliant. I love the type of prings that fold over and blend into the stone.

I don’t know that tabs would, but would you consider a double prong? I love the classic Harry Winston four double prong look on a round. It is SO elegant and to me, the stone still looks very round. If it weren’t for my concerns about girdle protection that’s the style I would be going for.

Star gazer

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is a tab prong? If not I apologize, I'm just learning about prong types. This is my 2 carat RB. Super smooth and easy to wear 20230411_090108.jpg

Attachments

• 20230411_090020.jpg
    20230411_090020.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230411_085958.jpg
    20230411_085958.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results