color
clarity

Show me your Pearls!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade That looks amazing on you. Really beautiful. You look so good in pearls.

@stracci2000 Thank you. I just epoxied the finding back into the pearl. This was a "rehome" from LT several years back. It was from Pearl Paradise, I think. Maybe they have more in the vault.

I found an old blog post on them: Soufflé Pearls: Some things I bet you didn’t know (pearlparadise.com)
An interesting read!
The things they do to those poor shellfish! :shock:
But I digress......I do love all the pearls! I need a souffle pearl right away.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
An interesting read!
The things they do to those poor shellfish! :shock:
But I digress......I do love all the pearls!

I thought about that too. Not a lovely thought.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These were an impulse purchase. White Edison pearls 10-13mm. Posting them again because I finally got a somewhat decent picture of them. I think these resemble white South Sea Pearls. IMG_7055.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
These were an impulse purchase. White Edison pearls 10-13mm. Posting them again because I finally got a somewhat decent picture of them. I think these resemble white South Sea Pearls. IMG_7055.jpg

I agree they do look like white south sea pearls. Very beautiful, lustrous strand. You can never share too many pictures....not here ;-)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
that neck :kiss2:
@MakingTheGrade is like a beautiful swan adorned in pearls

imangine if she had been around in Queen Alexandra's time, she would have given Alexandra and Mary a run for their money (i mean pearls)

Right, I thought the same. She is a swan. The pearls just decorate that graceful neck. The beauty of youth <3

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, I thought the same. She is a swan. The pearls just decorate that graceful neck. The beauty of youth <3

Haha aw you guys are too kind. Just goes to show that photos can be a bit deceiving. I may look slender from the collarbone up but per my last health check up I’m a bit overweight at 5’4 and 160lbs. Oops. So if I’m a swan, I’m one that has put on a little bit of extra waddle during all this covid quarantining. Luckily my neck still fits my bling.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Haha aw you guys are too kind. Just goes to show that photos can be a bit deceiving. I may look slender from the collarbone up but per my last health check up I’m a bit overweight at 5’4 and 160lbs. Oops. So if I’m a swan, I’m one that has put on a little bit of extra waddle during all this covid quarantining. Luckily my neck still fits my bling.

Own it babe. You are a swan :) and maybe a little extra buoyant. NO less beautiful. No matter!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow ! (Dang ! the smilies won't work)
awsome size Wilma !

just because i love little pearls doesn't mean i don't love big pearls too !

where have you worn them out to ?

im going to look further into these Edison pearls, I'd never heard of them till a couple of days ago

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds -Thank You! :) I haven't worn them yet. The strand is kind of formal and I will probably wear them at Christmas and New Year. My all nacre klonks looked too formal for everyday wear so I added keshi pearls and metal beads to break up the formality.

Some pearl sellers predict that Edison pearls are the freshwater pearls of the future and we may be seeing less traditional all nacre fw pearls for sale. Time will tell. I grabbed this quote from an Etsy seller who sells both types of pearls:

"These pearls are Traditional Freshwater Cultured Pearls, it takes long time for pearl farm to raise the pearls and difficult to get perfect quality compare to Edison pearls. The surface is more exquisite.
Recently days, the produce of the Traditional Freshwater Cultured pearls are less and less since it takes more time and high investment to get those pearls."

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds -Thank You! :) I haven't worn them yet. The strand is kind of formal and I will probably wear them at Christmas and New Year. My all nacre klonks looked too formal for everyday wear so I added keshi pearls and metal beads to break up the formality.

Some pearl sellers predict that Edison pearls are the freshwater pearls of the future and we may be seeing less traditional all nacre fw pearls for sale. Time will tell. I grabbed this quote from an Etsy seller who sells both types of pearls:

"These pearls are Traditional Freshwater Cultured Pearls, it takes long time for pearl farm to raise the pearls and difficult to get perfect quality compare to Edison pearls. The surface is more exquisite.
Recently days, the produce of the Traditional Freshwater Cultured pearls are less and less since it takes more time and high investment to get those pearls."
thank you
they read very very well

when you next get them out (not expecting you to find time on xmas day) id love to see them aganist your other pearls

and can't wait to see your creation

you are another clever one who creates their own pearl looks

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
not that i don't have a million other things to do ...
but i was hollering Ederson pearls and got a little side tracked and i found this which made me cranky
beauty is the eye of the beholder with all things !
i found this on a UK site....

our god-daughters first birthday soon and we are thinking of buying her a pearl every year that could be made into a necklace for her 18th birthday. Can you help?

Unless you're planning on huge pearls you'll need more than one a year! An 18 inch necklace of 7-8mm pearls (the most popular size) has around 50 to 60 pearls on it.

This concept started generations ago with the Add-a-Pearl Company of the USA. I believe they're still going. Presumably it caught on because, back then, real pearls were very costly and most people couldn't afford a whole necklace. Nowadays, for a host of reasons I won't bore you with, it's a terrible idea. At best you'll end up with a very ordinary but massively expensive necklace. Of course, I can't predict how your god-daughter might react but I can imagine mine (a teenager) thinking 'oh goody, another pearl!'
A bit like getting a Bruce Springsteen tape every birthday

grrrrrrrrr !
those things are collector items
i am lucky enough to have 4 still sealed in their original factory wrap ! (yes the shopping cost more that the actual cassettes)

there were lots of other Q&As
kinda sad people only want to sell grandma's pearls and not wear them and they get terribly disappointed to find out prices are rock bottom for old, often fake pearls
wear em and love em like nanna did i say !

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not that i don't have a million other things to do ...
but i was hollering Ederson pearls and got a little side tracked and i found this which made me cranky
beauty is the eye of the beholder with all things !
i found this on a UK site....

our god-daughters first birthday soon and we are thinking of buying her a pearl every year that could be made into a necklace for her 18th birthday. Can you help?

Unless you're planning on huge pearls you'll need more than one a year! An 18 inch necklace of 7-8mm pearls (the most popular size) has around 50 to 60 pearls on it.

This concept started generations ago with the Add-a-Pearl Company of the USA. I believe they're still going. Presumably it caught on because, back then, real pearls were very costly and most people couldn't afford a whole necklace. Nowadays, for a host of reasons I won't bore you with, it's a terrible idea. At best you'll end up with a very ordinary but massively expensive necklace. Of course, I can't predict how your god-daughter might react but I can imagine mine (a teenager) thinking 'oh goody, another pearl!'
A bit like getting a Bruce Springsteen tape every birthday

grrrrrrrrr !
those things are collector items
i am lucky enough to have 4 still sealed in their original factory wrap ! (yes the shopping cost more that the actual cassettes)

there were lots of other Q&As
kinda sad people only want to sell grandma's pearls and not wear them and they get terribly disappointed to find out prices are rock bottom for old, often fake pearls
wear em and love em like nanna did i say !

I have a friend who is the biggest Bruce Springsteen fan. The Bruce Springsteen reference would be a knife in her heart.

I think it is kind of sad that people sell Grandma's pearls because they don't feel sentimental about them. I am sure all my peals will be sold off when I die. I hope they go to someone who absolutely adores pearls. In a perfect world I will sell them off when I think I am getting close to leaving this world, and leave the money to an animal rescue group.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who is the biggest Bruce Springsteen fan. The Bruce Springsteen reference would be a knife in her heart.

I think it is kind of sad that people sell Grandma's pearls because they don't feel sentimental about them. I am sure all my peals will be sold off when I die. I hope they go to someone who absolutely adores pearls. In a perfect world I will sell them off when I think I am getting close to leaving this world, and leave the money to an animal rescue group.

Give your freind a Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce !!! From NZ for me

You know here the SPCA have opp shops here
A lot (not all) of charitable organisations that run 2nd hand shops have the odd expert who can tell what the good stuff is and they filter it out and sell it on line

You could leave your pearls to the animals

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found these nice 5mm akoya studs with leaf shaped jackets in a thrift store for $1.00
All 14k. I can use these jackets with my other studs, so a double find!
IMG_20201215_162102.jpg

And while I'm showing thrifty finds, here are 8mm akoyas in 14k from a consignment shop, paid $5.00
They were mixed in with costume jewelry, so definitely mis-priced.
1608323302522.png

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here are the whites, mostly freshwater, aside from the dangly earrings on the far left, the larger round pearl ring and the pendant, which are White South Sea. The pink beads on the coin pearl dangly earrings are just glass, I think:

P4a.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results