shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Pearls!

Sallyjane

Rough_Rock
This is my first post! Through the years I never cared that much for pearls. And then about 5 or 8 years ago I saw a design I liked in a jewelry catalog online, they were listed as Mikimoto A+ 8mm. I never heard of Mikimoto, and knew nothing of the grading. I bought them online, and when they arrived, WOW! It was then I realized for the first time how extraordinary pearls could be! They aren't boring at all if they are good quality. I haven't bought any other pearls since, but right now I'm thinking of buying again, and am trying to learn what's what. I now know that AAA is the top grade, or for some Hanadama. From what I'm reading here, I gather that grading is subjective. So what one supplier might call AAA might be graded lower by another. That makes buying online kind of difficult.

I am only interested in earrings or rings. I wouldn't have an occasion to wear a pearl necklace.

Pearls_05.jpg Pearls_02.jpg Pearls_01.jpg

Beautiful :kiss2:

Sallyjane

Rough_Rock
Another recent purchase. I don't have a light box just an Iphone so my pictures are never great. A change in lighting can totally alter how any Tahitian strand appears in photos. This is a 10-14mm strand. I find this strand very soothing with it's cooler tones.

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Beautiful

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
One more photo! This most closely resembles the color I see in real life. Using my sapphire ring which is more familiar to me as I’ve had it for a while now to tell if the overall color is right.

Ladies, any tips what earrings to wear with this strand? I’m thinking plain diamond studs but would welcome suggestions!

80842D34-587C-4E9B-95FC-AEE2C97B88A2.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Sallyjane Thanks! What are you going to do with your pretties? You have so many!!! Layer them luxuriously around your neck? Make some bracelets out of them?

Sallyjane

Rough_Rock
@Sallyjane Thanks! What are you going to do with your pretties? You have so many!!! Layer them luxuriously around your neck? Make some bracelets out of them?
Well Thank you I am rather fond of them though they are only freshwater dyed pearls vintage . They need restrung and I am going to have just one 16 inch necklace and the rest in a bib style with a clasp . I did think they were Tahitians but some very knowledgeable ladies enlightened me. I find they still mesmerize me though .

vuhuong88

Rough_Rock
View attachment 713503
Pearls is awesome! Needless to say we are extremely satisfied with the results. I was amazed at the quality of Pearls

Victor Ang

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. Good day to you all! I am thinking to buy my Aunt's second hand pearls but I am not sure how to read the grade of it. How would you know if the pearls freshwater or saltwater cultured pearls?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got bored last night and decided to shorten a white FW pearl rope into two necklaces. I added Hematite beads for some holiday bling and to make them a bit less formal. Shortened my ripple pearl necklace and added some Tahitians to the flameball pearl necklace.

Also- added a pic of a darker toned Tahitian necklace which I am contemplating adding some lighter Tahitians too. Not sure if I should break up the uniformity of tone. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 120

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would leave the Tahitians as they are, classic.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first started collecting pearls I wanted classic white pearls strung traditionally. But my tastes have changed and I wanted to do something fun with the strands I bought from Pearlescence. I decided to make two strands of 10-11mm white pearls with gemstone beads for the Holidays. We are going to a Christmas light event and I am wearing this one with baroque silver Akoyas.

IMG_3415 (1).jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is large 11-14mm and very inexpensive Tahitian strand from Wen on Etsy. I call it my "drama" strand because the pearls are dark. This will be a fun strand I can wear and not worry about.

IMG_1714 (1).jpg

Beautiful.

Are you stringing some of the strands yourself, @LisaRN? As an RN, you probably know how to tie surgical knots, yes? (Me too. Dad taught me). I wanted to ask you, if there are small rondelles between the beads, do you tie the knots on both sides of the rondelles, or is it unnecessary? The answer is much appreciated, I am experimenting with beads and re-inveniting the wheel but I have no time for beading classes.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that strand i only knotted three pearls on each clasp end. I know there is a tiny risk the pearls can get damaged by not having knots between them but i would have to have removed 2 inches of pearls if I used knots to keep the length I wanted. I actually redid this strand removing the beads. I took the beads off and used royal blue thread with knots. Hope this helps.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just put myself on a pearl ban. But I wanted to share some of my recent lavender Etsy treasures with you. I really love the big pearls. First strand is metallic 10-11mm and the second strand is 10.5 to 11.5.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

They are just lovelly
my neck wants to try them on !

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been on an all nacre pearl Klank and Klonk spree. I really need to go on a pearl ban for real.

Newest edition is a strand of tissue nucleated, pinkish/peachy/lavender pearls- mostly 13 mm. I put them next to a strand of light lavender pearls with the largest pearl on that strand being 10.3 mm. I really like the feel of big pearls right now when the weather is cold. They make me feel warm and cozy.

IMG_4015.jpg IMG_4024.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been on an all nacre pearl Klank and Klonk spree. I really need to go on a pearl ban for real.

Newest edition is a strand of tissue nucleated, pinkish/peachy/lavender pearls- mostly 13 mm. I put them next to a strand of light lavender pearls with the largest pearl on that strand being 10.3 mm. I really like the feel of big pearls right now when the weather is cold. They make me feel warm and cozy.

IMG_4015.jpg IMG_4024.jpg

Wow !
Stunning
Im a pearl apparition kick right now
Is this the size they call a Wilma Flintstone?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow !
Stunning
Im a pearl apparition kick right now
Is this the size they call a Wilma Flintstone?

Hi Daisy. I think these would be considered Wilma Flintstone size. Pearls 12 mm and over in size are sometimes referred to as "klonks" by pearl lovers. If I remember right they say that small and medium pearls make klink sounds when the strand is being handled, large pearls make klank sounds, and really large pearls make a klonk sound.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Daisy. I think these would be considered Wilma Flintstone size. Pearls 12 mm and over in size are sometimes referred to as "klonks" by pearl lovers. If I remember right they say that small and medium pearls make klink sounds when the strand is being handled, large pearls make klank sounds, and really large pearls make a klonk sound.

....i bet my 3 strands are all klinks !
Your klonks are outstanding and i aspire to one day have a strand of my own
enjoy (imangine smilie because mine aren't working today)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results