shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Pearls!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
these are just little dyed earings from my Mall jewler but they are hugely sentimental to be
my MIL died a few weeks before my birthday and my elderly FIL went out and brought these for my birthday
green is my favorite colour
he was Irish
20190507_164356.jpg
and this is just a little ring i brought when i was on holiday
i need to get it enlarged half a size and now would be a good time to replace the pearl maybe to match my really fun dyed pink pearl neckless
this little ring has had a banged up ring and has been lost more than once, even having neen retrieved from the rubbish bin 20190507_163827.jpg
15613538968871436026854.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In general, gold lipped oysters (Pinctada Maxima) produce gold pearls, white lipped oysters produce white pearls & black lipped oysters (Pinctada Margaritifera) produce black ones. Is this what you mean?
But then you have to ask...why do gold lip oysters have gold lips. It isn't as if they are trying to attract a mate or anything..?
I asked a couple of very brainy scientists (one a reproductive biologist) and they did not have an answer for why any molluscs should have developed colour. They could not think of any biological advantages. No-one is going to see the colours

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
But then you have to ask...why do gold lip oysters have gold lips. It isn't as if they are trying to attract a mate or anything..?
I asked a couple of very brainy scientists (one a reproductive biologist) and they did not have an answer for why any molluscs should have developed colour. They could not think of any biological advantages. No-one is going to see the colours
nature must have been having a good day and had extra in the looks dept to give out :D

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
9BDB4DDB-D342-4830-8981-3C3E0B30F85F.jpeg

My new 10mm south sea pearls. What do you think? They were less than 200, so of course they’re not top AAA quality, especially with surface blemishes. :think: I may make them into dangles with diamonds.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9BDB4DDB-D342-4830-8981-3C3E0B30F85F.jpeg

My new 10mm south sea pearls. What do you think? They were less than 200, so of course they’re not top AAA quality, especially with surface blemishes. :think: I may make them into dangles with diamonds.
So gorgeous! I could stare at them all day!:love:

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Happened to be at the Victoria, BC Birks store a couple weeks ago with my grandma. They were having a summer sale with a bunch of pieces 30%-70% off.

Guess who found the only item that was 80% off? This cool, v. modern double ring just happened to be a size 8! I'm thinking it was probably a bit too out there for the geriatric crowd of southern Vancouver Island -- but hey, with the exchange rate, I got a deal!

Sterling and four freshwater pearls. IMG_20190708_112702.jpg

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
9C936833-9B7E-4601-A159-3C5921F2C3AB.jpeg
I used the pearls as an excuse to visit Joe Escobar Diamonds. The cups are attached in the back, creating an “invisible” look.
Absolutely delicious :lickout:
I am also in the market looking for 12.5-13mm pair of exactly this color :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@strawrose - Gorgeous earrings. I love the silvery shimmer of your pearls. So beautiful.

Here are pics of a small (9-10mm) strand of Tahitians. These were loose earring pearls I bought from Wen on Etsy and strung into a necklace.

IMG_1179 (1).jpg
IMG_1168 (1).jpg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
@strawrose - Gorgeous earrings. I love the silvery shimmer of your pearls. So beautiful.

Here are pics of a small (9-10mm) strand of Tahitians. These were loose earring pearls I bought from Wen on Etsy and strung into a necklace.

IMG_1179 (1).jpg
IMG_1168 (1).jpg

Thank you!

Those are quite lovely. I should go check Wen out.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a custom bracelet from Pearl Paradise and could not have been more happy with it. I requested pearls that were more on the blue side.

Here is a photo of what it looked like under normal, indoor natural light.
20190721_155143.jpg
It's true color showed a lot more vibrantly outside.
20190721_163725.jpg
20190721_163731.jpg
The change is drastic! No filter nor corrections. I'm super happy with my first pearl bracelet :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered a custom bracelet from Pearl Paradise and could not have been more happy with it. I requested pearls that were more on the blue side.

20190721_155143.jpg
20190721_163725.jpg
20190721_163731.jpg
The change is drastic! No filter nor corrections. I'm super happy with my first pearl bracelet :)

Those are definitely blue and so gorgeous!:love:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

20190721_155143.jpg
20190721_163725.jpg
20190721_163731.jpg

Super gorgeous!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought these two Honora Pearl necklaces from a vintage shop recently, paid $45 for both. They remind me a bit of rosary beads, the links are sterling. Excuse my dry hands (steroids).

IMG_6091.JPG IMG_6094.JPG

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn -Very pretty! You can add a pendant or hang a broach to the top strand when you want a different look. Pearls are so versatile.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn -Very pretty! You can add a pendant or hang a broach to the top strand when you want a different look. Pearls are so versatile.

Thanks, these are my first pearls! It's funny you mention hanging a brooch from them because that's why I bought them, I found these really pretty art nouveau amethyst brooch and thought it would make a great pendant!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is large 11-14mm and very inexpensive Tahitian strand from Wen on Etsy. I call it my "drama" strand because the pearls are dark. This will be a fun strand I can wear and not worry about.

IMG_1714 (1).jpg

PJV

Rough_Rock
Again I would like to thank Andrey and Ali for creating this forum for us!
slider_yourock.gif

And as the title says...

Show me your pearls! Details would be much appreciated too!

I would start us off but I don't have anything much to show, so I am looking forward to all the lovely pearl candy belonging to some of our PS ladies!
9.gif

This is my first post! Through the years I never cared that much for pearls. And then about 5 or 8 years ago I saw a design I liked in a jewelry catalog online, they were listed as Mikimoto A+ 8mm. I never heard of Mikimoto, and knew nothing of the grading. I bought them online, and when they arrived, WOW! It was then I realized for the first time how extraordinary pearls could be! They aren't boring at all if they are good quality. I haven't bought any other pearls since, but right now I'm thinking of buying again, and am trying to learn what's what. I now know that AAA is the top grade, or for some Hanadama. From what I'm reading here, I gather that grading is subjective. So what one supplier might call AAA might be graded lower by another. That makes buying online kind of difficult.

I am only interested in earrings or rings. I wouldn't have an occasion to wear a pearl necklace.

Pearls_05.jpg Pearls_02.jpg Pearls_01.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another recent purchase. I don't have a light box just an Iphone so my pictures are never great. A change in lighting can totally alter how any Tahitian strand appears in photos. This is a 10-14mm strand. I find this strand very soothing with it's cooler tones.

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results