shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your paperclip chains - necklaces and bracelets, stacked or stand alone

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have become a bit obsessed with paperclip chains recently and am thinking of getting one in rose gold: either a larger one to wear as a stand alone necklace or a finer one to wear with a pendant.

There seem to be a few variations of these, some have longer narrower links than others, some are more rectangular, some more rounded. I would love to see neck shots and wrist shots, and also to see how they stack with other necklaces or bracelets.

Anyone who has a paperclip chain they wear with a pendant - what size are the links and how well does the pendant sit on the links? I love the look of the elongated links but I wondered whether they might become mis-shapen under the weight of a pendant after a while? And with longer links do you need a wider pendant bail to keep the pendant hanging correctly?

I am loving this one, but I'm not sure how it would work with smaller pendants
1646574806988.png

I also like the larger one below as a stand alone necklace. Too many choices.........

1646575304075.png

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love my paper clip chain and wear it All. The. Time.
Forgive my neck scars.
03D969A4-724D-4BB8-9ADA-BF78AEB5C8A9.jpeg

That is gordeous! Is it 16" or 18"? I love where it sits on your neck, looks really elegant, and I bet it works with just about every type of neckline you might wear as well?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gordeous! Is it 16" or 18"? I love where it sits on your neck, looks really elegant, and I bet it works with just about every type of neckline you might wear as well?

Thanks so much. I do love it so much!!
It’s actually 18” but I am able to clasp it at any length into itself (leave the excess to hang or clasp it up into a loop behind my neck). I usually wear it around 15” because I love it as a choker. I have considered shortening it but I do like the option of 18” for winter and higher necklines.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much. I do love it so much!!
It’s actually 18” but I am able to clasp it at any length into itself (leave the excess to hang or clasp it up into a loop behind my neck). I usually wear it around 15” because I love it as a choker. I have considered shortening it but I do like the option of 18” for winter and higher necklines.

Thats the nice thing about that design - its very versatile. I wondered about going with 18" too and being able to shorten it. Do you ever have the porblem where the clasp and extra chain rotates and shows at the front when you are wearing it?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
image.jpg My daughter and I got "zapped"at catbird jewelry in soho New York. You select your bracelet and they weld it onto your arm permanently . So fun

At least that removes the problem of fiddly clasps! :D Its really pretty and looks great with your other bracelet too.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder yes, I admit it does, at times, migrate to the front, but not often enough to warrant losing the versatility!
I have long hair so it hides it, if I had short hair I would get the length I wanted, to be sure.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I hope @jbake posts pictures of hers (hint hint :bigsmile:) as I'm a bit obsessed with it, it's perfection!

Aww, thank you!

I have a 20” rose gold paperclip chain and a 7” bracelet in the same chain width, 3.85mm. The 20” is ideal for layering or wearing alone. I do like my necklaces on the longer side, chokers feel too choke-y for me. I usually wear the bracelet in a stack of three. They are both from Stuller (CH1095.) Stuller also has the same style paperclip chains in 1.95mm and 2.6mm, too. I do actually have one 1.95mm in sterling silver as a chain for my daughter’s locket. I’d love it in rose for myself as a necklace and bracelet, too!

A0FBB097-4338-4380-8E5B-9444077C82FC.jpeg
87D4692B-F115-4C13-BFEE-EDD2137E4349.jpeg 795158AB-047A-4899-B771-B01AEFF88606.jpeg B3786EA0-5791-49D1-8DFF-B2FB7BDAB9D5.jpeg B2DA3C48-11CF-433A-B000-96D0A7ABF1BC.jpeg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww, thank you!

I have a 20” rose gold paperclip chain and a 7” bracelet in the same chain width, 3.85mm. The 20” is ideal for layering or wearing alone. I do like my necklaces on the longer side, chokers feel too choke-y for me. I usually wear the bracelet in a stack of three. They are both from Stuller (CH1095.) Stuller also has the same style paperclip chains in 1.95mm and 2.6mm, too. I do actually have one 1.95mm in sterling silver as a chain for my daughter’s locket. I’d love it in rose for myself as a necklace and bracelet, too!

87D4692B-F115-4C13-BFEE-EDD2137E4349.jpeg 795158AB-047A-4899-B771-B01AEFF88606.jpeg B3786EA0-5791-49D1-8DFF-B2FB7BDAB9D5.jpeg B2DA3C48-11CF-433A-B000-96D0A7ABF1BC.jpeg

Those are gorgeous! They stack really nicely with other necklaces and bracelets don't they? I really admire your excellent taste in your jewellery choices, what a lovely collection. I'm also a huge fan of rose gold too, its so flattering. I have been collecting rose gold bracelets and bangles for a while, and there's definitely room for a paperclip bracelet in my wrist wear wardrobe :D

I think I may have seen the stuller 1.95mm version of the chain online from a couple of vendors, but it would be really helpful to see what it looks like in person with a pendant. Would your daughter give permission to post the silver chain and locket you mentioned? It would really help me to work out if that kind of chain would work with a round medallion roman numeral style pendant I own. My pendant has a bail that is 3mm inside the narrowest part. Does the silver stuller chain have a chunky chain end that needs a really large bail to pass it through?

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Those are gorgeous! They stack really nicely with other necklaces and bracelets don't they? I really admire your excellent taste in your jewellery choices, what a lovely collection. I'm also a huge fan of rose gold too, its so flattering. I have been collecting rose gold bracelets and bangles for a while, and there's definitely room for a paperclip bracelet in my wrist wear wardrobe :D

I think I may have seen the stuller 1.95mm version of the chain online from a couple of vendors, but it would be really helpful to see what it looks like in person with a pendant. Would your daughter give permission to post the silver chain and locket you mentioned? It would really help me to work out if that kind of chain would work with a round medallion roman numeral style pendant I own. My pendant has a bail that is 3mm inside the narrowest part. Does the silver stuller chain have a chunky chain end that needs a really large bail to pass it through?

Thank you! I’ve fallen hard for rose gold in the last few years! It’s definitely my go-to gold color now ❤

She is wearing it today, so I can try to find exact measurements when she’s home. But the chain end is barely bigger than the chain on the necklace we have. Her locket is on the small side, around half an inch maybe?
She is in elementary school, so not a large person, haha. The chain is 18” if that helps offer some perspective.
At one point I was considering a locket/chain combo for myself in rose, I just didn’t because I have a locket in sterling and I very rarely wear it. I think I just liked the idea of it. But I do think it would work really nicely with a medallion. It’s wide enough to offer some substance while the open links also give it a dainty feeling.
82E144CE-E751-46AD-90AF-6C200574723E.jpeg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’ve fallen hard for rose gold in the last few years! It’s definitely my go-to gold color now ❤

She is wearing it today, so I can try to find exact measurements when she’s home. But the chain end is barely bigger than the chain on the necklace we have. Her locket is on the small side, around half an inch maybe?
She is in elementary school, so not a large person, haha. The chain is 18” if that helps offer some perspective.
At one point I was considering a locket/chain combo for myself in rose, I just didn’t because I have a locket in sterling and I very rarely wear it. I think I just liked the idea of it. But I do think it would work really nicely with a medallion. It’s wide enough to offer some substance while the open links also give it a dainty feeling.
82E144CE-E751-46AD-90AF-6C200574723E.jpeg

Thank you for this - it looks really pretty and nicely balanced.

Do you feel that these finer links are still strong enough to withstand getting bent out of shape if it got pulled by accident?

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for this - it looks really pretty and nicely balanced.

Do you feel that these finer links are still strong enough to withstand getting bent out of shape if it got pulled by accident?

I do, my daughter doesn’t wear it all the time, but I do trust that it is strong enough to be worn through school & recess. So far so good!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do, my daughter doesn’t wear it all the time, but I do trust that it is strong enough to be worn through school & recess. So far so good!

Great - thanks for this. This one is definitely going on my shortlist. The problem I'm having now is that I also like the larger version as a stand alone necklace, and am in danger of getting carried away......:lol-2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thank you!

I’m gawking at the diamond ring!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow - is that 5 different paperclip chains? It looks you have one for every occasion! :D How do you decide which one(s) to wear? They are all fabulous! What is the width of the bottom 2 in your second photo please? I love the boldness of the top two as well - are they heavy to wear?

I have noticed that quite a few vendors offer larger link versions which are hollow, but still weigh around 4 -5g and I am considering whether I might get one as well as a finer solid one for my pendant. I'm a little wary in case a hollow one might be prone to denting or getting pulled out of shape, although I wonder if that might be more of an issue for bracelets which would probably be subjected to a lot more bashing around.

Another thing I was wondering is how comfortable and practical these are for stacking? Do they get twisted up together? I have not enjoyed stacking my necklaces with finer chains for this reason, but I was hoping that paperclip styles might be more practical for stacking.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is a trombone chain but has paperclip type links in it. Thought you might like to see what a larger piece in that style looks like. I love it and stack it with everything.

The links are hollow but still pretty sturdy. I’ve been wearing it 24/7 including to sleep and hike etc. no dents or issues yet.

9C9AFDD8-CB0A-4B92-8494-142B652B619D.jpeg

67359A5A-0014-4094-A57F-E91090FE6926.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow - is that 5 different paperclip chains? It looks you have one for every occasion! :D How do you decide which one(s) to wear? They are all fabulous! What is the width of the bottom 2 in your second photo please? I love the boldness of the top two as well - are they heavy to wear?

I have noticed that quite a few vendors offer larger link versions which are hollow, but still weigh around 4 -5g and I am considering whether I might get one as well as a finer solid one for my pendant. I'm a little wary in case a hollow one might be prone to denting or getting pulled out of shape, although I wonder if that might be more of an issue for bracelets which would probably be subjected to a lot more bashing around.

Another thing I was wondering is how comfortable and practical these are for stacking? Do they get twisted up together? I have not enjoyed stacking my necklaces with finer chains for this reason, but I was hoping that paperclip styles might be more practical for stacking.

So none of them are heavy to wear and the top two in photo 1 are both between 5g and 6 g. I would love to have a thicker heavier one to replace one of the top two but they are so expensive. Perhaps if the price of gold goes down one day!

If memory serves, the bottom two are 3 mm or 2.5 mm. They are heavier at around 8 g. The smallest one in the last picture is 11 g. So they are much nicer chains. I wear pendants on the bottom two in the last picture all the time.

And yes they totally get tangled especially the lighter ones. I can’t wear a bunch them together because of that. The choker one is the heaviest and I often wear the choker one with the longest one and that doesn’t tangle as easily. The others I just wear alone or I will wear one paper clip and then another necklace that’s just a long box chain with a pendant. Something like that.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine is a trombone chain but has paperclip type links in it. Thought you might like to see what a larger piece in that style looks like. I love it and stack it with everything.

The links are hollow but still pretty sturdy. I’ve been wearing it 24/7 including to sleep and hike etc. no dents or issues yet.

9C9AFDD8-CB0A-4B92-8494-142B652B619D.jpeg

67359A5A-0014-4094-A57F-E91090FE6926.jpeg

Thats really pretty and looks great with your pearls and your pendant (which by the way is so striking and a real signature piece!)

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So none of them are heavy to wear and the top two in photo 1 are both between 5g and 6 g. I would love to have a thicker heavier one to replace one of the top two but they are so expensive. Perhaps if the price of gold goes down one day!

If memory serves, the bottom two are 3 mm or 2.5 mm. They are heavier at around 8 g. The smallest one in the last picture is 11 g. So they are much nicer chains. I wear pendants on the bottom two in the last picture all the time.

And yes they totally get tangled especially the lighter ones. I can’t wear a bunch them together because of that. The choker one is the heaviest and I often wear the choker one with the longest one and that doesn’t tangle as easily. The others I just wear alone or I will wear one paper clip and then another necklace that’s just a long box chain with a pendant. Something like that.

Sounds like the tangling is something to watch out for then. If I end up stacking its unlikely to be with more than 2 necklaces either.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thats a lovely example. This style looks so good stacked with other bracelets. What is the width of yours? It looks feminine but substantial and eyecatching at the same time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
HI:

Is this a paperclip or just oval link?

paperclip.jpg

Sharon

Wow I love that. I think that oval link would be the technical term but still people refer to them as paperclip. Is it nice and heavy? It looks amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results