shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Neck Mess

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are so lucky to have a natural eye for style. I am going to study these to see what I need to add to my mess to up its game. I can already see that I need a chunkier chain, or a dbty.

To do a few chains in thicker gold will be pricey. At least I know what I want for Christmas and my birthday! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh..I wanted to mention I use chain extenders I purchased on Etsy. I use them for my fine chains. They come in different inch lengths. They’re very fine but sturdy 14k. If anyone wants to know where I purchased them I’ll attach a link.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh..I wanted to mention I use chain extenders I purchased on Etsy. I use them for my fine chains. They come in different inch lengths. They’re very fine but sturdy 14k. If anyone wants to know where I purchased them I’ll attach a link.

Great idea to be able to use similar length chains to get the mess look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of a neck mess but just wondering what you do to stop them getting tangled?

I tried to wear two necklaces together and they got so knotted together that it looked like a proper mess rather than a curated mess :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of a neck mess but just wondering what you do to stop them getting tangled?

I tried to wear two necklaces together and they got so knotted together that it looked like a proper mess rather than a curated mess :lol:

I linked to an article on the previous page that goes into some depth about the tangling issue. The thinner the chain the easier it is to get tangled, in my experience.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that this thread got a little traction. This is the first time I’ve ever posted one in SMTB after 17? 18? years!

I was in a rush this morning but managed to thread 3 goodies onto the gold carabiner on my shorter paper clip chain. Already had the compass/evil eye, added new amethyst shell and olllllldddd jade fish. This isn’t much of a mess but a different way to wear the chain and charms/pendant.

The jade fish is primitive, I know. It has a story, though, so I’ve kept it since 1999 when it, along with a nice 14k gold box chain, was given to me by many lovely co-workers of mine at a JC Penney. I worked in the “fine jewelry” department for several months when I was taking a break from college for about 3 semesters. This sweet little fish had come in and one day I decided to try it on, not realizing anyone was watching me as business was slow and no one seemed to be around. Suddenly a male voice rightnexttome said “where are you going to wear that? In your cleavage?” I was stunned for several reasons and immediately took off the pendant and chain when I saw who it was—the Loss Prevention (plainclothes) guy, who was a total creep but had never spoken to me before. He was much older and had NO business saying what he said to me but I was too shocked to say anything at all. He was fired after I went back to college for getting reported looking up another employee’s skirt while she was on a stepladder getting an item down from a display. I’m sure he’d built up reports over his time there. Ugh.

Anyway, I had really admired this cute little fish pendant and didn’t know anything at all about jade. It just reminded me of my fishing trips with my family and I thought the color was beautiful. My co-workers knew me well enough to know this and all pitched in to get me the pendant and chain as my going away gift. Makes me happy/sad now as many of them were older and are gone from this world now. They were so kind to me, those women. And I bet they were so glad to see that creep get fired. I should’ve run him over with my big ass pristine 1979 Cadillac my dad made me drive til I was 21! 848F73BD-5CB8-4353-8A14-C4C10A28719C.jpeg

Attachments

• C430A12F-D2CB-4CD8-8B16-A0F764086C20.jpeg
    C430A12F-D2CB-4CD8-8B16-A0F764086C20.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 14

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Love that this thread got a little traction. This is the first time I’ve ever posted one in SMTB after 17? 18? years!

I was in a rush this morning but managed to thread 3 goodies onto the gold carabiner on my shorter paper clip chain. Already had the compass/evil eye, added new amethyst shell and olllllldddd jade fish. This isn’t much of a mess but a different way to wear the chain and charms/pendant.

The jade fish is primitive, I know. It has a story, though, so I’ve kept it since 1999 when it, along with a nice 14k gold box chain, was given to me by many lovely co-workers of mine at a JC Penney. I worked in the “fine jewelry” department for several months when I was taking a break from college for about 3 semesters. This sweet little fish had come in and one day I decided to try it on, not realizing anyone was watching me as business was slow and no one seemed to be around. Suddenly a male voice rightnexttome said “where are you going to wear that? In your cleavage?” I was stunned for several reasons and immediately took off the pendant and chain when I saw who it was—the Loss Prevention (plainclothes) guy, who was a total creep but had never spoken to me before. He was much older and had NO business saying what he said to me but I was too shocked to say anything at all. He was fired after I went back to college for getting reported looking up another employee’s skirt while she was on a stepladder getting an item down from a display. I’m sure he’d built up reports over his time there. Ugh.

Anyway, I had really admired this cute little fish pendant and didn’t know anything at all about jade. It just reminded me of my fishing trips with my family and I thought the color was beautiful. My co-workers knew me well enough to know this and all pitched in to get me the pendant and chain as my going away gift. Makes me happy/sad now as many of them were older and are gone from this world now. They were so kind to me, those women. And I bet they were so glad to see that creep get fired. I should’ve run him over with my big ass pristine 1979 Cadillac my dad made me drive til I was 21! 848F73BD-5CB8-4353-8A14-C4C10A28719C.jpeg

That's such a lovely story, and I think your little fish pendant looks perfect!! I love pieces that have stories behind them.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64 -

Hallo! :)) So great to see you start a thread!

I don't wear multiple chains at once, but almost every chain I own has more than one charm on it. If you're at all interested in seeing multi-charm single chains, lemme know - I'm your girl!

In the meantime - this is my most recent multi-charm necklace: a mixture of Australia and US to mark my dual citizenship; a passport given to me by a lovely group of PS ladies to commemorate my US citizenship in 2014, a diamond starfish, bought by my husband during our last vacation to my favorite place in all the world (the Whitsunday Islands in Australia), and a gum leaf and gum nut - inherently Australian - and yet....introduced to California from Australia (where it was largely abused and spread, sadly, like a weed). But even so - a perfect combination of charms to represent my nationality. The chain is new and a favorite. :))

All charms are 18kt, chain is 14kt.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@monarch64 -

Hallo! :)) So great to see you start a thread!

I don't wear multiple chains at once, but almost every chain I own has more than one charm on it. If you're at all interested in seeing multi-charm single chains, lemme know - I'm your girl!

In the meantime - this is my most recent multi-charm necklace: a mixture of Australia and US to mark my dual citizenship; a passport given to me by a lovely group of PS ladies to commemorate my US citizenship in 2014, a diamond starfish, bought by my husband during our last vacation to my favorite place in all the world (the Whitsunday Islands in Australia), and a gum leaf and gum nut - inherently Australian - and yet....introduced to California from Australia (where it was largely abused and spread, sadly, like a weed). But even so - a perfect combination of charms to represent my nationality. The chain is new and a favorite. :))

All charms are 18kt, chain is 14kt.

20220524_165135.jpg

I, for one, would love to see more of your collection of charms! They are so unique. I think, because a neck mess can be whatever you like, certainly a chain with multiple charms can be part of it.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I had to try it :) Went a little crazy and just put a lot of stuff on (I’m sure a lot of people would put much more effort into this). Now I feel like a Christmas tree AD914FE9-D783-47B9-9EDE-12D38CDC3487.jpeg :):)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to try it :) Went a little crazy and just put a lot of stuff on (I’m sure a lot of people would put much more effort into this). Now I feel like a Christmas tree AD914FE9-D783-47B9-9EDE-12D38CDC3487.jpeg :):)

I think it looks great!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I NEED the gummy bear! (last photo in the first article you posted). Does anyone know who makes it?

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.31.11 PM.png

For you @RunningwithScissors. Love the gummy pendant too.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much @monarch64..Now I’m obsessed with chains, charms, pearls, etc to create a neck mess..:doh::lol:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a neck mess, you ask? It’s exactly what it sounds like. Think Mr. T but not quite as heavy. The layered look. Let’s see your layers! I’m working on mine…I have 2 more pendants coming in soon. Right now I have an emerald/Diamond crescent moon and a compass/evil eye charm made with turquoise, diamonds, and an emerald on 14k paper clip chains. I’ve been giving Alex Park (and Heather), Katmojojewelry, and Anne Sisteron some love and paper recently.
6CBAC590-C219-4477-B674-7FB29D1AA533.jpeg

OMG! Love your links! This is a wonderful look. I wish I had a neck mess. When I tried wearing more than one they always get tangled on me so I gave up. But I love this look!:kiss2:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn’t me but I’ve had this saved for ages! I wouldn’t do the hand (I don’t know what it’s called) but the way it’s put together fascinates me! I love the pearls with it but I would be afraid they would get scratched.
B1311018-47FC-4D9E-AACB-E86D2A19B336.jpeg

Yaaaaaaass:kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m putting together a sterling silver one at this point. I may mix my white gold and platinum with the silver. I plan to throw a diamond pendant in there. I want it to be fun so I just purchased a coin necklace. I love bunnies so I picked a coin from Ireland with a bunny on it. I’m not Irish but that’s okay. :lol:
E23B1466-D70B-4995-B156-2BE0C596C09E.jpeg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha me too! I'll definitely post when it arrives.

Oh, and the pearls would worry me as well. I have a couple strands of smaller, what I believe are dyed freshwater pearls (I thrifted them--they're individually knotted with sterling silver clasps) in brown and gray that I've been mixing in. Katmojojewelry does a lot of gemstone bead necklaces with either 14k gold or gold filled findings depending on what you want to spend. I might add a couple of those here and there for funsies!

I also have a strand of individually knotted small pearls that I purchased when I was in my thirties. That‘s a long time ago! :oops2:I remember paying $600 for them thinking I was fancy..Haha! They don’t have much of a sheen so I don’t think they’re good pearls. I will add them to the mix!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@siamese3 beautiful!
Would you mind sharing deets on your tennis necklace? Does it flip? Thank you!

And also the details of your dbty necklace, if you wouldn't mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results