shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your less than perfect gems

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set it in a pendant so it really isn't at all noticeable. You can see it with the naked eye if you tilt it just right but you have to be looking for it. Haha. Gene said it was sort of like natural proof it's not heated since it would probably crack of you tried so its doubtful anyone would have risked trying.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing color.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Superb colour for unheated :lickout: ...do you have a pic of it set?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My newest flawed but fabulous gem, a 2.32 ct sapphire. There's a long thin inclusion near the top corner parallel to that side. But the color is yummy!

file.jpg
file.jpg

It's on the right in this photo
file.jpg

But most of the time you just see a beautiful blue!

file.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go :) It's in 18k rose gold.

Oh that's just stellar! The colour really pops and the RG and charm detail is lovely too :)

Glad the sapphire turned out as lovely in person. It seems to be a beautiful even colour and very glowy :appl:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1329010542|3124333 said:
Here is a tsavorite cab, also from Dana. 2.78ct 7.1 x 7.8 mm and a very pretty green. I had it set in this pendant of green and rose gold, and I think the inclusions add to the rustic, earthy look of the piece.

I love this pendant!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1331757485|3148652 said:
My newest flawed but fabulous gem, a 2.32 ct sapphire. There's a long thin inclusion near the top corner parallel to that side. But the color is yummy!

Fabulous colour! And the inclusion doesn't detract from the stone. To me, a small inclusion can give a stone character, and unless it is very visible, I don't mind it. I'd certainly rather have a slightly included but strongly saturated blue sapphire than a steely/gray blue sapphire with flawless clarity.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resurrecting this thread for Vickygigi.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Awesome! Thank you. I will look through each post. I scanned the first page and I really like the sapphire someone won in an "ugly stone contest". Ha. I suspect it isn't as pretty IRL, but the photo is neat. Thanks again!!!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
LD, I love these threads....

My favorite "flawed" stone resembles strawberry soda. My 3.39ct Mahenge from AJS

IMG_9258 freke.JPG
I know your post was from long ago, but just wanted to say that I own her sister stone, a 3.2ct Mahege that was given as a gift. (The color IRL is much more vibrant, but then the inclusions wouldn't image properly.)I'm certainly not selling, but do you have any idea of value with the extent of inclusions? I also would love to hear if you have set yours, and how. Thanks! 20180725_170042.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I know your post was from long ago, but just wanted to say that I own her sister stone, a 3.2ct Mahege that was given as a gift. (The color IRL is much more vibrant, but then the inclusions wouldn't image properly.)I'm certainly not selling, but do you have any idea of value with the extent of inclusions? I also would love to hear if you have set yours, and how. Thanks! 20180725_170042.jpg

I might be the biggest fan of her "bubbly" Mahenge spinel, so I can answer the latter question. :kiss2: She did set it and it's part of a gorgeous necklace. She has more pictures of it in her IG but here are a couple:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc31HjQnZ1P/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRbZYHjAC4/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJmSUBSBbkq/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I might be the biggest fan of her "bubbly" Mahenge spinel, so I can answer the latter question. :kiss2: She did set it and it's part of a gorgeous necklace. She has more pictures of it in her IG but here are a couple:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc31HjQnZ1P/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRbZYHjAC4/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJmSUBSBbkq/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject

That is gorgeous! Thank you SparliesLuver for sharing! Now I see hers is a lot prettier than mine, but I love it anyway, especially in low light. I'm thinking a necklace for mine too, along with my other pink spinels bezeled in the chain...:think:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less- than-perfect? Voilà! All photos are old screenshots, the stuff is not at home

My three Lloliondos - as most stones from that locale, they are glowy, much more than on that old photo SmartSelect_20180823-131207_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aquamarine cab - an old vendor no longer selling... I think there was a crack or something but the stone looked OK when arrived. Now I think there is an inner crack that glows like a rainbow. I can recut it the color is awesome. The second photo from the back SmartSelect_20180823-125944_Photos.jpg SmartSelect_20180823-125958_Photos.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My blue spinel from Vietnam. I was not sure I should buy this shallow navette, but the gemologist said most spinels from that location were not perfect so I bought it. It is over 1 ct SmartSelect_20180823-131342_Photos.jpg SmartSelect_20180823-131327_Photos.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an old photo, very little light. Inclusion, what not, but over 2 ct, Vietnamese blue spinel. The red spinels are much redder irl, just no light around. It is over 2 ct. Nothing, neither form nor inclusions are satisfying but the stone is nice SmartSelect_20180823-131245_Photos.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My blue spinel from Vietnam. I was not sure I should buy this shallow navette, but the gemologist said most spinels from that location were not perfect so I bought it. It is over 1 ct SmartSelect_20180823-131342_Photos.jpg SmartSelect_20180823-131327_Photos.jpg
I really love this blue spinel, and that aqua looks amazing with the rainbow! Both are beautiful!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love this blue spinel, and that aqua looks amazing with the rainbow! Both are beautiful!

Thank you! The spinel is really nice, and it was a long time ago. I am glad I bought it at the time when prices were affordable and did not wait for the perfect stone.

With the aqua, I have many questions. Was it a crack that had been filled? Because the stone looked totally OK and I did not drop it either. Now the crack in the back is too obvious. Like in an old bar of soap. And deep. Makes one wonder.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results