shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Jade bangles!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Silvermom I'm going through a solid color phase but can only afford a few streaks!!!! Haha that's why they look so similar!!!!

@icy_jade I got the bangle off and then back on again. Only took 5 secs each time but my hand felt squeezed!!! If my hand grows suddenly I'm in trouble!

I think part of the issue is that the Bangle is so thick. It's 16mm in width. That's a lot of rock squeezing in my hand. I think a thinner one in the same size would be less troublesome to get on and off. I did want a thick band though. That was on the wish list!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade I got the bangle off and then back on again. Only took 5 secs each time but my hand felt squeezed!!! If my hand grows suddenly I'm in trouble!

I think part of the issue is that the Bangle is so thick. It's 16mm in width. That's a lot of rock squeezing in my hand. I think a thinner one in the same size would be less troublesome to get on and off. I did want a thick band though. That was on the wish list!

Ok! Once you have done it a first time, then it’s no problem doing more often. And yours is a D shape so I think for princess rounds you can go at least 1 mm smaller! So good!!! So many bargains to be had.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Silvermom I'm going through a solid color phase but can only afford a few streaks!!!! Haha that's why they look so similar!!!!

Mellow, you are my kind of girl. I only like solid colors too. Somehow to me it looks more uncomplicated and classic. Although mixed colors too are very pretty.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could afford a solid green! Alas!!! Need to settle for a solid green streak =D

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could afford a solid green! Alas!!! Need to settle for a solid green streak =D

Your bangle is indeed beautiful. If it were me I would be very happy. To me yours is a solid green because it is light and dark green. Gives it so much character. LOVE IT! My own green bangle is the same. It is light green and has dark green streaks. Also, we are really not in control of what kind of jades are available. We do have to pick from what we see. It is getting harder and harder to find good jade. Does anyone know why the supply is getting so scarce? Maybe the saying that jade has to find you is so true. You can be looking for years and then all of a sudden one pops up that speaks to you.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Silvermom I've heard that the situation in Myanmar is affecting the Jade supply?

That said I still don't understand the pricing. I feel that sometimes an extra zero is added in a very arbitrary way.

It is interesting though the way things are priced.

So I call this my Koi fish bangle because my sister says it looks like a koi fish pattern.

Anyways if you take away all these streaks the bangle is half price. Same size and exact same looking material. Like I'm pretty sure it came from the same boulder. There was one with just a few bright green flecks at half price.

I felt really silly paying double for the streaks but without the streaks it was no fun.

PXL_20210522_012155524.jpg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Silvermom I've heard that the situation in Myanmar is affecting the Jade supply?

That said I still don't understand the pricing. I feel that sometimes an extra zero is added in a very arbitrary way.

It is interesting though the way things are priced.

So I call this my Koi fish bangle because my sister says it looks like a koi fish pattern.

Anyways if you take away all these streaks the bangle is half price. Same size and exact same looking material. Like I'm pretty sure it came from the same boulder. There was one with just a few bright green flecks at half price.

I felt really silly paying double for the streaks but without the streaks it was no fun.

PXL_20210522_012155524.jpg

I truly love the streaks. The Neiman Marcus store was selling bangles from the artist David Lin and he had a trunk show one day. I saw some of his bangles. One was full green all the same shade and tone and the other was a lighter green with imperial green streaks in it. The full green was going for about $50,000 USD and the lighter green with the imperial green streaks was going for about $98,000 USD. I asked him why the full green was so much less than the lighter green with the imperial green streaks and he said it was because it is very hard to find that color of imperial green in a bangle even if it is a little streak. So you see what we think is supposed to be expensive might not be so. I thougnt the full, consistent green bangle was more expensive because the whole bangle was one consistent shade but the lighter green with the streak won out. I don't think there is a standard. Maybe it is just according to what you like. Your bangle really is a full green with bright green streaks. Very beautiful.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love both bangles! But the one you have chosen is so beautiful!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both bangles! But the one you have chosen is so beautiful!

I was twitching a bit at paying double for a few more and bigger streaks but at the end of the day the heart want what it wants.

I find Jade a lot more complicated than say if you buy a bright pink spinel. Like a lighter, cheaper spinel looks completely different and you probably wouldn't want it anyway if you had you heart set on bright pink.

But the Jade can be just.... Oh so close... sometimes!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was twitching a bit at paying double for a few more and bigger streaks but at the end of the day the heart want what it wants.

I find Jade a lot more complicated than say if you buy a bright pink spinel. Like a lighter, cheaper spinel looks completely different and you probably wouldn't want it anyway if you had you heart set on bright pink.

That’s so true, if you compromise you’re never truly happy and in the end it costs you more.
I’ve been wearing the bangle you gifted me and I was admiring all the green streaks in the car today whilst I was waiting for my son to finish his violin lesson and I swear it looks greener. Jade doesn’t change colour does it, or is that just a myth?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so true, if you compromise you’re never truly happy and in the end it costs you more.
I’ve been wearing the bangle you gifted me and I was admiring all the green streaks in the car today whilst I was waiting for my son to finish his violin lesson and I swear it looks greener. Jade doesn’t change colour does it, or is that just a myth?

Haha so a lot of people claim that you can will it and grow that green patch until it's all green. Hehe in fifty years hopefully you can tell people I sent you a full green Bangle :lol:

But scientifically it's a rock dug out of the ground and cannot change.

My view is that it's the lighting. Jade is very very very susceptible to changes in lighting which makes it incredibly hard to buy over the internet. There is probably a certain light where each particular bangle can look glorious and at its best.

But I always feel like Jade needs to absorb the atmosphere of the light where it'll live permanently and then you get it's true colour. I find it looks really different in the first 15 min out of the box than when it's been worn and waved around for a few hours or days. It's probably my eyes adjusting to the lighting on the Jade.

I will say that my purple bangle stands up to any lighting and looks super purple which I'm very proud of since imo it was a bargain!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@mellowyellowgirl My wrists and hands are bigger than yours, but I have been in that situation. I always use dishwashing liquid to get bangles on and off. I have bruised myself in the process many times. Once and only once, a Ruby bangle broke in half as I was slipping it off. It cut my hand as it broke. I’ve never have that happen with jade.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tourmaline a broken ruby bangle sounds familiar.

Did you have trouble returning it? I think I remember your thread! There was quite a bit of drama with the vendor/post about returning it wasn't there?

Do you switch your bangles around often? I think I'm a wuss. It wasn't overly hard to get it off but I was distinctly uncomfortable about how tight it was to twist off!!!

I might only switch every few months I think!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl My wrists and hands are bigger than yours, but I have been in that situation. I always use dishwashing liquid to get bangles on and off. I have bruised myself in the process many times. Once and only once, a Ruby bangle broke in half as I was slipping it off. It cut my hand as it broke. I’ve never have that happen with jade.

I couldn't help myself

i googled carved ruby bangle and ..... you turned up

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Always best to get what your heart desires. The one that wins is the one that called out to you. You made a wise choice.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Haha so a lot of people claim that you can will it and grow that green patch until it's all green. Hehe in fifty years hopefully you can tell people I sent you a full green Bangle :lol:

But scientifically it's a rock dug out of the ground and cannot change.

My view is that it's the lighting. Jade is very very very susceptible to changes in lighting which makes it incredibly hard to buy over the internet. There is probably a certain light where each particular bangle can look glorious and at its best.

But I always feel like Jade needs to absorb the atmosphere of the light where it'll live permanently and then you get it's true colour. I find it looks really different in the first 15 min out of the box than when it's been worn and waved around for a few hours or days. It's probably my eyes adjusting to the lighting on the Jade.

I will say that my purple bangle stands up to any lighting and looks super purple which I'm very proud of since imo it was a bargain!!!

This is the best explanation of why jade changes that I have heard. It totally makes sense. I think you might be right Mellow.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Tourmaline a broken ruby bangle sounds familiar.

Did you have trouble returning it? I think I remember your thread! There was quite a bit of drama with the vendor/post about returning it wasn't there?

Do you switch your bangles around often? I think I'm a wuss. It wasn't overly hard to get it off but I was distinctly uncomfortable about how tight it was to twist off!!!

I might only switch every few months I think!

Yes, that was me, and it was a mess! I guess I do change them fairly often, but a couple of months is pretty common.

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210528_012819836.jpg PXL_20210528_012836357.jpg
Couldn't resist wearing one on each wrist today.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results