shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your J color diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 4:28:20 PM
Author: elle_chris
I''ll be the odd woman out here.

For a .18ct difference, I wouldn''t go from an F to a J. Don''t get me wrong, I love diamonds in all colors but that''s a 4 grade difference and i don''t think it''s worth it for that size. Unless of course you love lower color stones. If you do, disregrad what I said above.
1.gif
I agree. I think J''s can be gorgeous (probably will get one myself), but .18 wouldn''t be enough of a difference for me to go from a colourless stone to a J.

But it''s all about the stone that speaks to you! If you''ve seen them and love the J, go for the J!
1.gif

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my J round brilliant, 1.56 carats, Ideal cut. It really faces up quite white, but I can see a slight tint in daylight from the side angle. Otherwise the only way I can tell it has a slight hue is compared directly side by side with lighter colored stones. I also know that round brilliants and ideal cut stones cover the hue nicely because of all the facets and high brilliance... I would be concerned about getting a J in a EC or Cushion so make sure it really is the one you want. Also - I would go with a cushion with the nicest facets (e.g. chuncky cut facets) because those are so hard to find and rare....so it wouldn't matter what color it was to me (e.g. F or J) if I found one with the right facets.

myjld.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would also show this old pic of my ring before I had the diamond lowered. As you can see, the tinge is evident from the side view. Now that I have the diamond lowered so much you can''t see this effect anymore (thank goodness).

sideyellowtinge.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Have you guys tried goodoldgold.com ? They have the NICEST selection of cushions. And they can take a ton of pics and videos for you if you want to reassure you.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your responses! Sorry I haven''t been online to respond, we''re visiting K''s parents this weekend (not to mention visiting the F color diamond
31.gif
)

ilovethiswebsite -- your ring is GORGEOUS! it looks incredibly white! I haven''t tried goodoldgold.com because I''m so afraid to order a stone without seeing it in person. I''m a big chicken, I know.
2.gif

Some of you commented that the difference between a 1.00 to a 1.18 may not be worth the color difference. There are a couple different reasons as to why I''m leaning towards the 1.18. First of all, it faces up way bigger than the 1.00. Another thing is the facet pattern and the fact that it looks extremely clear. For some reason, it just sings to me! It''s also a lower price. Top this with the fact that the jeweler can order the exact designer setting I feel in love with over a year ago AND keep it under budget -- I''m almost sold!

However, I just came back from seeing the F color stone and am now COMPLETELY and UTTERLY confused! I chose a setting similar to my favorite and it was stunning. I wish I had a picture of the stone but the jeweler was being a butt and said he didn''t know how to take a pic (which seemed like a lazy excuse to me. I mean, if my girls on PS can post lovely pics of their diamonds, I''m sure a gemologist whose been in the business for 25+ yrs can! but whatever)

At this point, I''m not sure which way I''ll go. Dannyandterry, you mentioned trying to get the J into a setting to see if I like the overall look. Honestly, I think this will be my deciding factor. If the color is really noticeable against the setting, that''s a deal breaker. On Monday I''m going back to see the J and that''s when I''ll know (plus, Mom is coming with me to offer her opinion, so that''ll help)

Either way, a decision will probably be made by Monday! I will definitely report back with the news!

Thank you all so much for your help! (and for all the lovely eye candy
30.gif
)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super! I''m so excited for you and can''t wait to see pics either way, I''m sure it will look STUNNING!
30.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:12:30 PM
Author: idreamofcushions
Some of you commented that the difference between a 1.00 to a 1.18 may not be worth the color difference. There are a couple different reasons as to why I''m leaning towards the 1.18. First of all, it faces up way bigger than the 1.00. Another thing is the facet pattern and the fact that it looks extremely clear. For some reason, it just sings to me! It''s also a lower price. Top this with the fact that the jeweler can order the exact designer setting I feel in love with over a year ago AND keep it under budget -- I''m almost sold!
That''s wonderful! This is the reason it''s always suggested to see the stones in person, because sometimes they do just sing to you! Going by stats alone (in this case, just colour grade and carat weight) is not enough--trust your eyes to choose your favourite.
1.gif

You said you just saw the F colour stone in person and are now a bit confused. Are they at different vendors? Can you compare them side by side?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results