shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Heirlooms...

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Show me your heirlooms... pics and stories, please. :)

I found an old thread from years ago, and thought this would be a fun thread to have again.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am going to have to go on a hunt for all the old Georg Jensen pieces my mother gave me. I have no idea...absolutely no idea...where they are!!! I will-eventually-post a link to an old thread if I can find one to try to give you a clue as to what I am talking about!!! This is such a great idea, ringthings, as was your idea for a thread on charm bracelets! Yes, folks, ringsthings started that thread, too!!! See below:

charm bracelet thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I haven't seen Georg Jensen items... can't wait to see those.

Thanks, I was hoping they'd be fun topics... I'm a bit nosy so I guess heirlooms and charms interest me most. :)

AGBF|1330232369|3134748 said:
Oh, I am going to have to go on a hunt for all the old Georg Jensen pieces my mother gave me. I have no idea...absolutely no idea...where they are!!! I will-eventually-post a link to an old thread if I can find one to try to give you a clue as to what I am talking about!!! This is such a great idea, ringthings, as was your idea for a thread on charm bracelets! Yes, folks, ringsthings started that thread, too!!! See below:

charm bracelet thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few of mine below.

Diamond and ruby ring from probably around 1950 that my grandma designed herself... on paper. She used stones from another piece she didn't like and made this. She wore it for decades. The ruby has seen better days, as has the ring, but I love it.

file.jpg
file.jpg

"Cheap" pieces from poor grandma... not worth much (anything?) but sentimental.
file.jpg

I also have a few other things that I don't have pics of, like:
- diamond and blue sapphire tennis bracelet from my mom
- my grandma's gold wedding band... just plain.
- faux heart diamond pendant from my mom
- diamond cross from my mom
- dad's class ring
- grandma's organization/club ring

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually only have one 1 set of earrings that are heirlooms, they are gold earrings that look like double flowers and the have small red stones in them, I think they are garnets as they are reddish brown, there is no markings on the earrings so I am not even sure they are solid gold, they were given to me by my husband's step mother, she passed away in 1991 at the age of 62 she told me that they were the first thing she bought herself when she got her first job...if she told me how old she was when she bought them I dont remember...but I would venture to say these earrings are probably from the late 1940's maybe early 1950's...they are very pretty. I dont have pictures of them, guess I never thought about taking pictures of them...its dark here now and I dont feel like dragging out the camera..maybe if i get a chance this week I will take some pictures. Anyway I do not wear them, they have really thick screw posts and they hurt my ears...I would like to have the post changed out, but it just dosent seem right to change them....I also have lost one of the screw backs so I cant wear them any way....

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
My family has a fair number of Georg Jensen pieces. My mom has quite a few of them, as does my grandmother. I haven't inherited them yet.

Here's a ring my grandmother gave me, in the same modernist vein:

DSC_0269b.jpg

Here's a cameo from my grandmother:

Cameo.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lotus99|1330482027|3136902 said:
My family has a fair number of Georg Jensen pieces. My mom has quite a few of them, as does my grandmother. I haven't inherited them yet.

My late mother was very generous and gave me her Georg Jensen flatware (half of it...half went to my brother) and her Georg Jensen jewelry before her death! She gave us the flatware decades before her death!

This thread shows the story of how I found out that my mother had Georg Jensen jewelry, which I did only because it was being discussed in a Pricescope thread!

The Story:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georg-jensen-jewelry.25634/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georg-jensen-jewelry.25634/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
My grandmother had the entire Jensen flatware set (Acorn design). I remember the family counting the pieces back into the drawers after Thanksgiving lunches. It went to my aunt when my grandmother moved into a retirement home. My aunt died last year, and I think my second cousin will take the set. I'm sort of upset that I'm not getting it, but I think my second cousin will get more use out of it than I will.

My family has always treasured the Jensen pieces. My mother frequently wears her brooches and earrings.

ETA: I know my mother has one of the dove brooches, and I believe some of the moonstone earrings. My mother doesn't have pierced ears, so she likes the screw-on types that Jensen made. I think she may also have another brooch or two.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lotus99|1330535658|3137384 said:
My grandmother had the entire Jensen flatware set (Acorn design). I remember the family counting the pieces back into the drawers after Thanksgiving lunches. It went to my aunt when my grandmother moved into a retirement home. My aunt died last year, and I think my second cousin will take the set. I'm sort of upset that I'm not getting it, but I think my second cousin will get more use out of it than I will.

My family has always treasured the Jensen pieces. My mother frequently wears her brooches and earrings.

ETA: I know my mother has one of the dove brooches, and I believe some of the moonstone earrings. My mother doesn't have pierced ears, so she likes the screw-on types that Jensen made. I think she may also have another brooch or two.

Hi, Lotus99-

I would love to see any pictures you have already taken or that it would not be awkward for you to take!

Deborah/AGBF :saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately, my mother is in a different country these days, so I can't take pics of her items.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You have lots of antique goodies, Ringthings. Nice!

I love vintage Jensen. The showroom in NYC was near my work & I stopped & fogged up the window many mornings on the way in. My mother left me her Towle sterling flatware, King Richard pattern -- wedding present, service for 12. I loved it all my life & associate it with so many warm yummy holiday dinners. From my grandmother a set of beautiful cheese knives w/mother of pearl handles & a band of engraved silver where the handle meets the blade, plus a matching set of butter knives w/the blades shaped like scimitars & engraved. I have 2 beautiful heavy silver veg dishes of Mom's -- may have been my grandmother's, I'm not sure. Fascinating of all is a pair of coin silver serving spoons w/the initials of my g-g-grandmother, who married g-g-grandfather in the 1830s.

Here are pics of a few pieces of jewelry from my grandmother. Her sister was married to a jeweler, so some of these might have come from her.

Have tried several times to photograph this -- cannot make the amethysts show their lovely colors. They're a grape color w/magenta flashes -- impossible to get right in a pic. Set in yg w/turquoises & pearls. About 1.5 inch diameter.

Couldn't get the color right in this either -- it's regular jadeite color but kept photographing kind of minty. The gold looks grayish but is yg.

Maybe my camera is having little strokes. This is yg, though it wouldn't come out looking like it, opal in center about 2 mm. Tiny brooch, maybe 1/2" across.

Cute little yg pin -- FILTHY, as you can see. I like the filigree.

--- Laurie

AmyTurqPearl.jpg

wrist jade.jpg

Opal yg.jpg

Bow yg.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1330618544|3138325 said:
I love vintage Jensen. The showroom in NYC was near my work & I stopped & fogged up the window many mornings on the way in. My mother left me her Towle sterling flatware, King Richard pattern -- wedding present, service for 12. I loved it all my life & associate it with so many warm yummy holiday dinners. From my grandmother a set of beautiful cheese knives w/mother of pearl handles & a band of engraved silver where the handle meets the blade, plus a matching set of butter knives w/the blades shaped like scimitars & engraved. I have 2 beautiful heavy silver veg dishes of Mom's -- may have been my grandmother's, I'm not sure. Fascinating of all is a pair of coin silver serving spoons w/the initials of my g-g-grandmother, who married g-g-grandfather in the 1830s.

Great description of the walk to work and the holiday dinners! It drew me in! I also loved the photos of the vintage pieces, my favorite being the filigree bow. I just love fine metal work!!! Beautiful! Thank you for posting all those photos.

Deb

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Funny thing about that flatware, Deb. From a little girl I asked Mom to let me inherit the stuff. No problem, my sister didn't care. If we hadn't been related, my mother & I would still have been best friends. Same interests, outlook & humor; we laughed so much together. She was honest, strong, & wise, a mentor to wish for.

The first Thanksgiving after she died was tough -- I had wanted that silver all my life, but as I admired it on the table, I thought I'd happily return it all to have her back, missed her terribly. I picked up a heavy serving spoon and ***WHAM!** was suddenly in the dining room of the house we lived in when I was about 6. I felt the warmth, saw the light from candles on the Thanksgiving table, the pattern of the wallpaper, my grandparents sitting there, Dad lifting his knife to carve the bird, sister in a high chair. Turkey & goodies waiting to be served with the same spoon I held in my hand decades later. It was overwhelming -- not vague like a memory, more being thrust into the experience itself: sight, smell, touch sharp & there. I know from that what psychics must feel when they touch things. It lasted only a second but I was flooded with a profound peace & sense of continuity that remained all evening. And afterward. What was that experience? I make no judgments.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I forgot my QUIRKIEST heirloom! This thing is a gas. It creeps out most people I've shown it to, but I get a giggle out of it.

My uncle's wife was manager of store displays for Estee Lauder, then went to Revlon. Traveled around the country in a time when female professionals were a big rarity. As an incentive, one time she designed a clip-brooch as a prize for the best sales among a group of dept. stores. By chance Charlie Revson saw it & liked it so much, he asked her to have 10 more made, which he gave to his execs for their women. It is in terrible shape -- has lived in my cousin's & then my drawer forever -- was born sometime in the 1940s or '50s. It is pot metal & glass "jewels." I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, but it is a hoot.

Revlon.jpg

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I love your pieces, JewelFreak. The hand is indeed a hoot. I'm really not sure of the occasion you'd wear that for.

I haven't worn a brooch in a while, although I have quite a few of them. They seem so old fashioned. I live in a warm climate, so I don't even have a winter coat to wear one on.

It's odd how heirlooms are so dear to our hearts. I love the family stories behind them all.

Oddly, I was looking up information about a set of pearls my mother gave to me. As far as I remember, she told me my father had bought them for her on a trip to Spain. She must have been mistaken, as she gave me the Mikimotos (high quality cultured) instead of the Majorica pearls (imitation). Big difference. I hate to say it, but my father never would have bought Mikimotos. I suspect the Mikimotos were bought by my grandfather, either for my mother or my grandmother.

The only piece of Jensen flatware we had in our house is a spoon from the set (I assume my grandmother's set). It has been in the sugar bowl at my mother's house since I can remember. I'm sure it will mean a lot to me when my mother passes.

I have a few more heirlooms to post, but I'll make another post.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lotus, I like your story about the pearls. Interesting how heirlooms bring in thoughts of the whole family & make you wonder about what they did, where they went, who they were. Would like to see photos of your spoon -- that sort of memento reminds you of its previous parents whenever you use it. Kind of warm & fuzzy feeling.

Found 2 more pics I took & forgot to include above.

These earrings were my aunt's, 18k & Akoya pearls (?) -- maybe pearl people know, I don't. 5 or 6 mm. They are clip earrings & don't look good on me at all. Outdated style, attractive to somebody who likes vintage stuff, I suppose. Have thought of selling them but also of re-using the pearls in something else, but then what would I do with the settings? Hate to waste that gold. Could sell them.

Another weird one that I find strangely attractive. I have NO idea what it is! My mother's stepmother was a flapper in the 20s -- I have one of her dresses, hung with thousands of tiny jet beads I can easily imagine swaying as she did the Charleston. Found this thing in her drawer after she died & couldn't bring myself to toss it. It's jet with I'm sure rhinestones, 32 inches long, no clasp or evidence of a way to attach it to anything. Anybody have a suggestion as to its use?

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
This is the spoon my mother has (this isn't hers, but it's exactly like hers).
62789_01.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lotus, what a pretty spoon! I think that's a classic Jensen pattern. Will be neat to have. Do you know what happened to the rest of the set?

Thanks for the link on the flapper necklace. I wondered if it might be meant to go around the neck, but at 32" it's kind of short to stay put -- the one you linked to is 54" which works better. Obviously too short to be a belt; even w/an 18" waist, there wouldn't be enough left to loop or tie. Mysterious. I think it's kind of pretty & would've used it if I could figure out how. Wish i could channel my grandmother & ask!

--- Laurie

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking perhaps your necklace would work if it didn't wrap around the neck first. I'm not sure. An interesting piece, for sure.

The rest of the Jensen silverware set is (I think) with my second cousin. I believe it has stayed in the family. If a family member is considering selling it, I'd probably offer to buy it. I know my brother wasn't interested in it at all.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Men usually aren't, are they, Lotus? Not their thing. My mother always said she'd leave her silver, good china, etc., to a daughter if possible because it would be more likely to stay in the family. Sons' wives decide what stays, goes, or is cared for & used, & often wouldn't like something or have any emotional attachment to it.

An heirloom I treasure is a quilt made by my g-grandmother & her mother in 1843, when my g-grandmother was 12. You can tell which younger stitching she did from the expert work of her mother. It is a gorgeous quilt, white on white & trapunto. When my aunt gave it to me (she had only 2 sons), she said, "Bill doesn't want it & Jon's wife would use it for a dog bed." Pretty much sums up what happens frequently w/boys. I don't have kids so am all flustered about which niece to leave it to, who will treat it w/the respect it deserves.

--- Laurie

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
You're absolutely right about the boys. My family also tends to focus on passing items down through the daughters. I'm in a similar predicament to you, as I don't have children. My (only) niece may be the one who gets the items I have. She's on the opposite coast, so I'll have to start getting her interested next time I see her.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Here are a couple of heirlooms from my mother. My grandfather apparently worked at Tiffany at some point and these were gifts to my mother. Both of these items are in Tiffany boxes. But, there's nothing on either piece to confirm this. My grandfather wasn't the type to put a lesser item in a fancier box, but I can't confirm one way or the other.

I love this pendant, as it's discreet enough to wear with almost anything. I really do like filigree work, although I find delicate items don't always look right on me.

DSC_0288b.jpg

I haven't worn this pin in a long time, as I rarely wear pins at all. I found some "vintage" food on it that I'll have to clean off -- between the center and left hand diamond. It's platinum and 14K gold, I believe.

DSC_0286b.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Both are so lovely! I like the filigree too, on each one -- nice color sapphires, also. When would this have been? They look to me like sort of transitional between Art Nouveau & Art Deco, but I'm no expert. I'd love to wear the long pin -- used to have a blouse like a riding shirt, w/long ties that went around the neck & tied in front & I held them firm with a gold pin; that one would be perfect.

Neat to have such beauties with family history to them!

--- Laurie

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
As far as I can work out, he might have worked there at some point in the mid to late 1920s. I have the impression it was a job while he was at college or soon after he graduated (he graduated in the middle of the Depression, so less likely). I may try to ask my grandmother, but she's 105 and her mental ability is declining. My mother may have a better idea, so I'll ask her when I talk to her next.

Sometimes, the stories from my family don't quite add up. My mother said both she and her sister got the same pendant (my mother got sapphire, my aunt got a diamond), but that would put the jewelry in the 1950s, which doesn't seem to fit with the style at all.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread! I enjoyed reading everyone's stories!

I especially loved the pictures of Lotus99's beautiful filigree pieces!

I don't really have heirlooms :(sad but I do have a very pretty antique diamond snowflake that was given to me by my stepmom last year. It's gold plated silver with lots of little diamonds of varying cuts and sizes. It's probably not very valuable but I love that she decided to give it to me. It belonged to my paternal (great?) great grandmother. I was also given an antique yellow gold emerald and dendritic agate brooch/pendant. I don't think I'll ever wear either of them because they're not really my style but I love the sentiment behind it.

Oh, and when my mother died I inherited her extensive collection of 9ct gold maul store jewellery. I didn't want to start a thread on it because it wasn't really PS quality, but as they are technically heirlooms, perhaps I could post them here?

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie, that's just beautiful! I love its delicacy. Find out who it belonged to -- so you can tell your own kids when you hand it down to them. And don't give up on ever wearing it. As we go along, our styles tend to morph. I have a torsade my grandmother left me & I didn't like it for about 20 yrs; it lived in a drawer -- then suddenly I gave it a try & fell in love. Jewelry styles cycled around till it was right again & it needs somebody of a certain age to look good. On a black or navy dress, that snowflake would be a stunner!

Sometimes, the stories from my family don't quite add up. My mother said both she and her sister got the same pendant (my mother got sapphire, my aunt got a diamond), but that would put the jewelry in the 1950s, which doesn't seem to fit with the style at all.

Could have been an estate item, Lotus -- maybe he didn't buy it at Tiffany's. You mentioned you couldn't find a T&Co. hallmark; as far as I know, Tiff's always signed their pieces. They did, in the past, however, buy out -- Heyman Bros., for instance, made jewelry for Tiffany, Cartier, etc. Usually it was hallmarked Tiffany because the designs were exclusive, but there may have been a period when that wasn't done. You're right, they definitely don't look like the 50s. See if your mother can help you work it out.

105 & your grandmother's abilites are declining? Yow, if I had any brain at that age, I'd consider it a triumph!!

--- Laurie

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1330623157|3138384 said:
Oh! I forgot my QUIRKIEST heirloom! This thing is a gas. It creeps out most people I've shown it to, but I get a giggle out of it.

My uncle's wife was manager of store displays for Estee Lauder, then went to Revlon. Traveled around the country in a time when female professionals were a big rarity. As an incentive, one time she designed a clip-brooch as a prize for the best sales among a group of dept. stores. By chance Charlie Revson saw it & liked it so much, he asked her to have 10 more made, which he gave to his execs for their women. It is in terrible shape -- has lived in my cousin's & then my drawer forever -- was born sometime in the 1940s or '50s. It is pot metal & glass "jewels." I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, but it is a hoot.

Wonderful piece :love: If you don't want it, it'll take it in a heartbeat! And I'll wear it too.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I love your snowflake, Trekkie.

JewelFreak, you could be right about the pieces being estate items or something Tiffany bought from another company. I'll see if I can find out anything more from my mother. I couldn't find anything at all on the pendant -- no hallmarks or anything.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
PrincessCath|1331037716|3141711 said:
JewelFreak|1330623157|3138384 said:

Wonderful piece :love: If you don't want it, it'll take it in a heartbeat! And I'll wear it too.

Ha! A taker! I have thought it might work as a scarf pin -- a conversation piece at least. Needs some renovating & cleaning & the clip doesn't work anymore. It has its own personality, you could say. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results