shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Heirloom Jewelry!

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I have a soft spot in my heart for heirloom jewelry because not only do they transcend time, they likely carry with them stories of love.

So many of PSers have beautiful pieces of these antique pieces, that I would like to make a thread dedicated to heirloom pieces and their stories (if known).

I’ll start with my two rings I inherited from my mother who inherited from my grandmother. Unfortunately I my mother does not know their stories but my grandmother was an avid collector of jade. The right one is significantly more rare than the left one according to my mom which makes me suspect it might be a jadeite. Both pieces are very old and the jadeite unfortunately has a small chip left lower corner. I have always been in love with the right ring ever since I laid eyes on it. After I got married, she gave both to me, and I plan to pass both down to both of my daughters.

06BA3F9E-9EE8-4293-AA65-2624C8D87C54.jpeg 6489808A-B630-4D7C-B560-1D8FECABAF1A.jpeg 9CD8F197-9F82-43D3-A84D-FEDAE2461190.jpeg 3AA44490-5FAA-427C-A8B7-253647AF285E.jpeg 5B7DAF53-BB1E-4BF5-A378-DD59CEA99AC4.jpeg 348B58B4-CA64-46E5-A78A-AD51C5FAA5EB.jpeg

Wrkbrk

Shiny_Rock
Those are just gorgeous!
I have have two heirloom pieces. My mom’s original wedding ring (1972 much?!) and my wife’s great aunt’s engagement ring (1930s). Don’t know much about either and don’t wear them but I will keep them for my son someday. 7310C6B4-2B84-4097-8226-870229CE79CB.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Buttercookies i love these kind of threads

@Emerald City this is my great Tasmanian grandma's wedding ring

It had sat in my mum's jewlwey box since my grandma died
i didn't want it to gather dust for another generation so i added small saphires gypsy style saphires (one for each of great grandma's children) to make it more wearable for me
i hope great grandma, grandma and mum wouldn't mind. My sister really liked the idea and now it gets worn and i think about my great grand parents whome i did not know

20190519_125708.jpg
The other ring is just a ring i wear to keep the great grandma ring safe because its a designated pinky ring (great grandma had skinny fingers and i didn't want to size it too many sizes up)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My pictures are the worst. Shot them tonight in our orangey light with a phone camera that makes everything come out looking melted but I really wanted to play too! With that out of the way lol.

Both of these are from my grandmother. I don't know anything about the garnet. I honestly didn't even know she had it! Another family member gave it to me after she died. According to him its 18k white gold. He claimed it was a ruby but it was a garnet I think. The original garnet exploded while they were retipping it so the one in it is new. I really like it.

The diamond chip band was part of her second wedding ring set. The engagement ring part currently has no stone so I didn't take a picture of it. Both of these rings severely need reshanking. But I enjoy taking them out and wearing them for a little bit sometimes :) the real colour is in between both images. Somehow more light and blur got in one than the other.
20200704_212345.jpg 20200704_212135.jpg

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Those are just gorgeous!
I have have two heirloom pieces. My mom’s original wedding ring (1972 much?!) and my wife’s great aunt’s engagement ring (1930s). Don’t know much about either and don’t wear them but I will keep them for my son someday. 7310C6B4-2B84-4097-8226-870229CE79CB.jpeg

Wow those are really special especially the band. Is that the one from the 30’?

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
@Buttercookies i love these kind of threads

@Emerald City this is my great Tasmanian grandma's wedding ring

It had sat in my mum's jewlwey box since my grandma died
i didn't want it to gather dust for another generation so i added small saphires gypsy style saphires (one for each of great grandma's children) to make it more wearable for me
i hope great grandma, grandma and mum wouldn't mind. My sister really liked the idea and now it gets worn and i think about my great grand parents whome i did not know

20190519_125708.jpg
The other ring is just a ring i wear to keep the great grandma ring safe because its a designated pinky ring (great grandma had skinny fingers and i didn't want to size it too many sizes up)

Thats really pretty and I like how you upgrade it. It’s more wearable with that look. When I wear my jade ring, it’s ages me quite a lot lol but I’m in love with old pieces.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats really pretty and I like how you upgrade it. It’s more wearable with that look. When I wear my jade ring, it’s ages me quite a lot lol but I’m in love with old pieces.

Thank you

I do love your jade
They are to die for !
I think they are great statement pieces

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
80414542-25A4-40B3-A569-30396B8E273A.jpeg

We believe this was my great grandmother’s but I don’t know a ton of other details. The ring size is tiny— maybe a size 3.5. I haven’t decided what to do with it. It doesn’t fit but I love the stone so much and the history, of course. I also wear my grandmother’s simple gold band that has her name and my grandfather's engraved in it. She passed before I was born so it’s extremely special to me. I wear it everyday and it fits perfectly. I love that we have the exact same ring size.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pictures are the worst. Shot them tonight in our orangey light with a phone camera that makes everything come out looking melted but I really wanted to play too! With that out of the way lol.

Both of these are from my grandmother. I don't know anything about the garnet. I honestly didn't even know she had it! Another family member gave it to me after she died. According to him its 18k white gold. He claimed it was a ruby but it was a garnet I think. The original garnet exploded while they were retipping it so the one in it is new. I really like it.

The diamond chip band was part of her second wedding ring set. The engagement ring part currently has no stone so I didn't take a picture of it. Both of these rings severely need reshanking. But I enjoy taking them out and wearing them for a little bit sometimes :) the real colour is in between both images. Somehow more light and blur got in one than the other.

Im really happy you replaced the garnet, its a lovelly colour
That and the other are very wearable, hope you can get them reshanked soon so they can be worn out and about more often

Do you have plans for the ER ?
What happened to the stone ?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Im really happy you replaced the garnet, its a lovelly colour
That and the other are very wearable, hope you can get them reshanked soon so they can be worn out and about more often

Do you have plans for the ER ?
What happened to the stone ?

Thank you :D we kind of had to replace it. My heart was in my throat when the jeweller doing the repair called and told me the original garnet had exploded while they were working on it. But they replaced it with one that had a colour I liked so it worked out fine :D

I will probably re shank all 3 (garnet, ER, and WR) eventually. But probably not for a long while because it costs too much for us right now.
Eventually I plan on showing them to my daughter if she ever decides to get married and seeing if she wants the old ER setting and or wedding ring to use. Mom's jewellery will probably be unattractive to her but she might feel differently about great grandma's xD. If she wants to use it we will definitely give it some rehab then if we haven't already done it. If she doesn't want it I will probably rehab it anyway and put a cute little blue lab diamond from Lightbox or something in it so that it can get some love.

As for the stone, I actually have the stone from the ER in my own engagement ring :)

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock

The stone is gorgeous! I agree it looks to be as garnet. The setting is delicate, intricate and beautiful. Congrats!

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
80414542-25A4-40B3-A569-30396B8E273A.jpeg

We believe this was my great grandmother’s but I don’t know a ton of other details. The ring size is tiny— maybe a size 3.5. I haven’t decided what to do with it. It doesn’t fit but I love the stone so much and the history, of course. I also wear my grandmother’s simple gold band that has her name and my grandfather's engraved in it. She passed before I was born so it’s extremely special to me. I wear it everyday and it fits perfectly. I love that we have the exact same ring size.

The diamond is gorgeous. Is it an old mine cut?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you :D we kind of had to replace it. My heart was in my throat when the jeweller doing the repair called and told me the original garnet had exploded while they were working on it. But they replaced it with one that had a colour I liked so it worked out fine :D

I will probably re shank all 3 (garnet, ER, and WR) eventually. But probably not for a long while because it costs too much for us right now.
Eventually I plan on showing them to my daughter if she ever decides to get married and seeing if she wants the old ER setting and or wedding ring to use. Mom's jewellery will probably be unattractive to her but she might feel differently about great grandma's xD. If she wants to use it we will definitely give it some rehab then if we haven't already done it. If she doesn't want it I will probably rehab it anyway and put a cute little blue lab diamond from Lightbox or something in it so that it can get some love.

As for the stone, I actually have the stone from the ER in my own engagement ring :)

:kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl:

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
My mother has given me these silver bracelets that belonged to my grandmother. My grandmother was given them by her husband's family when they got married. I think they're called Chinese wedding cuffs. They might date to early 20th century or late 19th century. They are solid silver and big and chunky.

They're not my taste and also too big for me. I don't know whether to keep them in a drawer or somehow convert them so I can wear them. I think their value is tied to their age and heritage now so altering them would negate that. But I don't want them to sit there unused forever either.
IMG_20200705_074849_resize_50.jpg IMG_20200705_074906_resize_56.jpg IMG_20200705_074928_resize_19.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother has given me these silver bracelets that belonged to my grandmother. My grandmother was given them by her husband's family when they got married. I think they're called Chinese wedding cuffs. They might date to early 20th century or late 19th century. They are solid silver and big and chunky.

They're not my taste and also too big for me. I don't know whether to keep them in a drawer or somehow convert them so I can wear them. I think their value is tied to their age and heritage now so altering them would negate that. But I don't want them to sit there unused forever either.
IMG_20200705_074849_resize_50.jpg IMG_20200705_074906_resize_56.jpg IMG_20200705_074928_resize_19.jpg
Oh i like those :appl:
Its a hard question to think about

id do something like see if i could get them over my feet to wear on my ankles:mrgreen2:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock

Wow they are really something. I found this article regarding these cuff.

I think you should keep them as is for their historical value. Consider buying modern bangle to stack with them like the love bracelet.

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
Wow I loved looking at those photos. My grandparents were of poor peasant stock so not many gold pieces to pass on. It's true though that Chinese people regard anything less than 24k gold as not real gold.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I loved looking at those photos. My grandparents were of poor peasant stock so not many gold pieces to pass on. It's true though that Chinese people regard anything less than 24k gold as not real gold.

24k or not, looking at your cuffs I sense the love, hope and dream of your grandparents when they start their lives together. Your grandmother must be very happy on her wedding day to wear it next to the man she loves. =)2

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is mine. In 2014 we sadly lost my Great Aunt at the beautiful age of 99. She had no children of her own & my mother was an only child, so they kind of adopted each other upon the death of my grandmother some 40 years ago. She was always a constant in our lives from that point.

She left this ring to me because I always loved it & would try it constantly. It's a natural, whole pearl mounted in platinum, surrounded by an blazing halo of Old Mine Cuts. The shank is 18 carat yellow gold.

Aunty received this ring from her husband for her 25th birthday in 1940 & the paperwork has always been kept with the original box - the purchase date was October 12th 1940 & it cost £6, the equivalent of £108 today. It was bought from an antique dealer & dates from 1895 - 1905. I know she wore this ring for 74 glorious years on her RH without damage. She did lose a diamond in 1950 on a trip to Paris & the jeweller had to have another stone cut to match, but that has been the only incident. It has really stood the test of time! It's one of my most treasured things.

_18720.jpg

img_20151216_111053090_0.jpg

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
24k or not, looking at your cuffs I sense the love, hope and dream of your grandparents when they start their lives together. Your grandmother must be very happy on her wedding day to wear it next to the man she loves. =)2

They did have a long and happy marriage. She was his second wife after the first one decided to leave him. They both died a few years ago in their 90s.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Here is mine. In 2014 we sadly lost my Great Aunt at the beautiful age of 99. She had no children of her own & my mother was an only child, so they kind of adopted each other upon the death of my grandmother some 40 years ago. She was always a constant in our lives from that point.

She left this ring to me because I always loved it & would try it constantly. It's a natural, whole pearl mounted in platinum, surrounded by an blazing halo of Old Mine Cuts. The shank is 18 carat yellow gold.

Aunty received this ring from her husband for her 25th birthday in 1940 & the paperwork has always been kept with the original box - the purchase date was October 12th 1940 & it cost £6, the equivalent of £108 today. It was bought from an antique dealer & dates from 1895 - 1905. I know she wore this ring for 74 glorious years on her RH without damage. She did lose a diamond in 1950 on a trip to Paris & the jeweller had to have another stone cut to match, but that has been the only incident. It has really stood the test of time! It's one of my most treasured things.

_18720.jpg

Pearl ring is difficult to wear since the wearer has to be extremely careful and meticulous about cleaning daily. She must have been a graceful lady. It’s stunning. Thank you for sharing.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

_18720.jpg

England was at war in 1940 so there must be quite a story behind that ring if her husband was in the forces. The price was actually six pounds ten shillings. I don't date back to 1940 :) but I do remember that in the early 1960s six pounds would have been two weeks wages for a typical working man.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a fun thread. I love antique and vintage pieces. On my ring finger is grandma's tree of life ring. I don't wear it often because the gold on top scratches easily because it is very high carat. I had one ruby fall out and had to replace it. The art deco old mine cut cocktail ring on the second finger is 18k gold and one of the diamonds is tinted enough that in pictures it sometimes looks like a diamond is missing. The band above it is platinum. On my index finger is a platinum flower ring with sapphires and rubies and underneath that one is an 18k gold ring probably created in the 50's.

IMG_6509.jpg

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Next, my Grandmother's rings: on my pinkie is her engagement ring from her second marriage, from the 1940's. I don't know what the stone is, only that it is not a diamond. On my ring finger is her amethyst ring, with a flower inlay design, also probably from the 40's, but I am not sure:
IMG_2037.jpeg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
England was at war in 1940 so there must be quite a story behind that ring if her husband was in the forces. The price was actually six pounds ten shillings. I don't date back to 1940 :) but I do remember that in the early 1960s six pounds would have been two weeks wages for a typical working man.

My Great Uncle never fought in the war because of a medical issue, but he was a prominent engineer, so he actually went to work on the engines & bomb drop mechanisms of the planes. He was quite a wealthy man & they were not able to have children, so he used to lavish things on my Great Aunt. They were a very devoted couple & she had quite a collection of lovely things, which mostly belong to my mother now. The War had just broken out before the birthday he bought this for, and I believe from my mother he was heading off to the South Coast (from Cheshire) in the November to take up his new post. Great Aunt said she got the feeling this was a parting gift, in case something happened to him whilst he was away & he never came home. Luckily he did.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results