shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your garnets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL and SS,
Pictures here are always welcome. It does say garnets and they qualify! And both yours are too lovely not to re-post anyway.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here are mine.

Edwardian demantoid ring:
demantoid4.jpg

Close-up showing the horsetail in the bottom demantoid:
horsetail8.JPG

My tsavorite, showing its needle:
tsav1.JPG

Victorian pyrope garnet hair ornament:
garnetcrown3.JPG

One of my Victorian pyrope garnet bangles:
widegarnetbangle1.JPG

Victorian pyrope garnet cabochon bangle (partially reset in the 1950s or 60s by my grandmother):
garnetflowerbracelet2.JPG

Victorian pyrope garnet necklace and earrings:
victoriangarn3.jpg

I wish the pictures did justice to the deep, bright wine-color of those Victorian pyrope garnets.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
You have such beautiful antique jewelry!!

Are the demantoids original to the ring? I love the color on them, as well as the detail on that horsetail. How large are they?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy moly, Gliteratta, SleepySpinel, Ltl, and TL! I am in Garnet Heaven!
30.gif
30.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Found some pics of my loose Garnets.

SpessPairLTP1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more pic showing my tsavorite.

SpessandTsavLTP.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Tourm!

Yes, the demantoids are original to the ring. They''re quite small, between 4 and 5 mm in diameter. What would that be, about a quarter carat apiece? But they''re a great, bright, fiery green. I can even see arrows in the more transparent one, the one without the horsetail. The arrows send out flashes of red and orange dispersion, just like a diamond.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I love everybody''s garnets--I love how they come in so many gorgeous, lively colors.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 1:47:27 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you, Tourm!

Yes, the demantoids are original to the ring. They''re quite small, between 4 and 5 mm in diameter. What would that be, about a quarter carat apiece? But they''re a great, bright, fiery green. I can even see arrows in the more transparent one, the one without the horsetail. The arrows send out flashes of red and orange dispersion, just like a diamond.
4 to 5mm would be anywhere from a third to a half carat I think. Thanks for the information. The garnets look to have held up well considering their age, and the relative softness of demantoids. You are very fortunate to have them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 1:45:41 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
LTP,
What are the other three species of garnet you have in the picture? I like the orange ones in the middle.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 1:58:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 6/12/2009 1:45:41 PM
LTP,
What are the other three species of garnet you have in the picture? I like the orange ones in the middle.
The two next to the Tsav are Spessartites, and the bigger one on the left is a Red Malaya.

I like the orange ones, too, but seeing all of these awesome Spess examples, now I need something strictly orange, without any red or brown. Where did you end up getting your new step cut Spess from? I'm totally digging the cut on it (predictable, I'm sure
2.gif
).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
I recall seeing a good orange step cut spessartite listed in AJS not too long ago. I don’t know if it is still available.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 2:52:04 PM
Author: Chrono
Lauren,
I recall seeing a good orange step cut spessartite listed in AJS not too long ago. I don’t know if it is still available.
This one?
http://www.ajsgems.com/mandarin-garnet-spessartite/gemstone-garnet-2049214168-2046340406.html

Lauren,
I got it from Jason Brim, but I don''t think he has more in an asscher shape. You can ask though. If you want an intense orange asscher the caliber of cutting presented by precision faceters, it''s probably not going to happen that easily. With the really fine rough, they typically cut it to maximize weight, and if you want it specialty cut, you may pay a lot more for loss of weight incurred from the cutting. These stones in the more vivid orange shades are expensive to begin with, even for an average native cut. Good luck on your search though.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL. That''s the one I was thinking of.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 3:11:28 PM

Date: 6/12/2009 2:52:04 PM
Lauren,
This one?
http://www.ajsgems.com/mandarin-garnet-spessartite/gemstone-garnet-2049214168-2046340406.html

Lauren,
I got it from Jason Brim, but I don''t think he has more in an asscher shape. You can ask though. If you want an intense orange asscher the caliber of cutting presented by precision faceters, it''s probably not going to happen that easily. With the really fine rough, they typically cut it to maximize weight, and if you want it specialty cut, you may pay a lot more for loss of weight incurred from the cutting. These stones in the more vivid orange shades are expensive to begin with, even for an average native cut. Good luck on your search though.
9.gif
Eeeek! I may have to go proverbially lick that one, because it''s absolutely not in the budget right now, but it looks like the glowey kind of colour I was looking for. Man, that stone is chatting me up.
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
A pure orange spessartite with no brown or yellow costs more today and is getting harder to find too.
7.gif
I hope you'll be able to get it soon before someone else does.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:02:42 PM
Lauren,
A pure orange spessartite with no brown or yellow costs more today and is getting harder to find too.
7.gif
I hope you''ll be able to get it soon before someone else does.
Me, too. Our backyard is currently underconstruction, so all of my gemstone money is diverting to that for the moment.
7.gif

And, Chrono- I love the new AV! Is it already in your possession?
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 10:02:42 PM
Lauren,
7.gif
I hope you'll be able to get it soon before someone else does.
Well, you can find them if you pay the $$$$.
11.gif
ParaibaInternational appears to have some drop dead gorgeous pear shapes.
3.gif

Chrono,
Do you trust AJS pictures? Do you think that stone is as orange IRL?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 10:06:14 PM
Me, too. Our backyard is currently underconstruction, so all of my gemstone money is diverting to that for the moment.
7.gif

31.gif
I'm sure the backyard will be lovely and worth every cent. The family will enjoy it. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the spess will find its way to your finger one day.

Thanks about the new AV. GOG is setting it right now.
18.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 10:08:03 PM
Well, you can find them if you pay the $$$$.
11.gif
ParaibaInternational appears to have some drop dead gorgeous pear shapes.
3.gif

Chrono,
Do you trust AJS pictures? Do you think that stone is as orange IRL?
I''d ask for additional pictures. The original ones are hit or miss but the extra requested pictures that show the body colour are usually more accurate.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:15:21 PM

Date: 6/12/2009 10:06:14 PM
7.gif

31.gif
I''m sure the backyard will be lovely and worth every cent. The family will enjoy it. Still, I''m keeping my fingers cross that the spess will find its way to your finger one day.

Thanks about the new AV. GOG is setting it right now.
18.gif
Thank you for the finger crossing Chrono! Much appreciated!

And, YAY about the cushion!!!! I can''t wait to see your SMTR about it!!! I''m on LOVE with those, and I''m hoping to see Redrose''s in person when I''m in Houston next.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I recently got a new spess which I bought a couple of weeks ago & I must say that I love it more than my previously posted spess. It''s smaller though, 1.5 Ct.
I''m not sure about the cut but I think it''s kinda round/semi-oval shape. It''s got some inclusions visible in some viewing angle (I''m not sure if it''s what others call high-relief)

Anyway, here it is.... (BTW, thanks to my colleague for letting me take photos here in the office using her digicam.
5.gif
)

l_4e29d03130cf48f1bd0b64e89b2363c2.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
& this is the setting I''m planning to have for my spess baby, but in YG.
21.gif

rope_ring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blithe,
Do you mind sharing who you purchased it from? Any idea of the origin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results