shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your garnets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i like to show items when asked to show specific gems-the next 3 pics are some of my garnets 2 spess mandarin and 1 tsav-all worn daily and enjoyed...

m7601a.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
another spess...

m7602a.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 12:06:29 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Love the collection Yingh! I still LOVE that malaya...mmm..so dreamy. :)
You said you ordered malaya's from Multicolor before? How did their garnets compare to the pics online?
I hope you don't mind me answering? I've ordered from them too MTG. I find that their descriptions and photos are accurate. However, without a shadow of a doubt, my best Malaya came from bkkgemstones. The photos on their website are dreadful and make the gemstones look dire BUT when my Malaya came it blew my socks off. Fabulous colour change from a peach to a wonderful rose/pink. Very very very competitive in price too. Worth looking at.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 12:06:29 PM
Love the collection Yingh! I still LOVE that malaya...mmm..so dreamy. :)
You said you ordered malaya's from Multicolor before? How did their garnets compare to the pics online?
I know the question was directed at Yingh, but I thought I'd give my experience since I ordered a Malaya from MC.com. I think you really need to know exactly what you are looking for because I didn't care much for the Malaya I got. It wasn't the color I expected, and shipping back to MC.com is VERY EXPENSIVE and RISKY (I know firsthand), so really make sure you know what you want. You have to do a lot of sifting through MC.com to find a treasure IMO, but I hear good things about them regardless. I did get a very nice sphalerite from them. I recently returned my heart shaped grossular to them. It cost $25 to ship it back, and I couldn't insure it due to customs, and had to put it in a flat padded mailer in bubblewrap (so it couldn't be felt). I finally got my refund, but I lost $25 in shipping to send it back, and I lost out on the additional shipping costs for them to send it to me. You will not be reimbursed for any S&H costs.
14.gif

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
almost forgot-demantoid garnet in pendent-another favorate...

m7604a.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD and TL, I asked since they seem to have so very many of them. But I''ll probably pass if the returns are such a hassle.
I have to admit to having a small love affair with malayas right now..hehe. I love the peachy pink colors! So yummy :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one I bought from bkkgemstones. It's still not set and I put it into this LOGR setting just to see what the colourway looked like. This is showing it's rose pink colour (under electric light). In daylight it's a peach colour and the colour change is very strong. The cut is much better than this photo shows - I think it wasn't sitting straight in the setting!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, TL and LD answered your question perfectly. I found the vendor picture from MC.com quite accurate, but I wouldn''t order from them unless I am pretty sure about keeping the stone. They are very responsive in answering questions and providing additional pictures to help you decide. However, their return process is a big issu and the cuts are still on the ''native'' side. To play safe, you might want to stick with Barry, Gene, or other US based cutters. Hope you will find your dream malaya soon! I''d say check with Gene - remember those malaya rough in his blog? Describe to him what you are looking for, I am sure he can cut you one.

Date: 4/19/2009 12:56:00 PM
Thanks LD and TL, I asked since they seem to have so very many of them. But I''ll probably pass if the returns are such a hassle.

I have to admit to having a small love affair with malayas right now..hehe. I love the peachy pink colors! So yummy :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene has a brand new salmony malaya that I think is still for sale. He just posted it last weekend I think. It''s more on the pricey side, but it''s supposedly a fine color and on the large side for a Malaya.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve,
Thanks for posting your garnet pendants.
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s nice how we appreciate garnets around here! I went into a local jewelry store the other day and they had a mali garnet which is kind of unusual for a retail jewelry store. Kind of a mediocre type stone as far as cut but the color was nice. Very overpriced of course. Nice see something a bit different in local jewelry store though. The designer was Stephanie Hitchcock and the store is called ( For San Franciscans that might be interested) Gallery Of Jewels.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 1:37:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Gene has a brand new salmony malaya that I think is still for sale. He just posted it last weekend I think. It''s more on the pricey side, but it''s supposedly a fine color and on the large side for a Malaya.
I saw it, it''s not quite the color or shape I"m going for, although I''m sure it''s gorgeous. I''m not in a rush to buy a malaya, just scoping things out :) I''ve come to really like the one I have, but I wouldn''t mind having a larger one :) The color change is really cool, but eventually I''d like a malaya that just stayed peachy pink.

To continue the eye candy, here is Logan Sapphire''s Tsav ring:
kvl02062.jpg

kvl02061.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
One Malaya

SSCN4587.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
two malaya

SSCN4583.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Different shades of spess...

SSCN4584.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
spess with baby tsav...

SSCN4585.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Rodolite...

SSCN4586.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Family photos...

SSCN4588.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mochi
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

You have the best collection !!! Are you going to set any of those beauties???????

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Forgot the bloody spess (EM) and the umbalite...

SSCN4589.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Last one of the ''Family''...

SSCN4590.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Howdy Linda!!!

How have you been???

I guess someday I''ll be setting them, especially the large Malaya, than the spess from Dan (that one E/W setting). But I don''t know when...
face3.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi, stunning collection! The problem is that now it will cost a fortune to set all your lovelies!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hellooooo wonderful mochi collection. We''re always thrilled to see you
18.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s too many people to address but I just wanted to chime in say THANKS for all the pictures of the beautiful garnets. My eyes are having a feast!
9.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Mochi, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your family of garnets.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

BTW, did you change your avatar to a real mochi this time? And who took that BIG bite?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 2:39:05 PM
Author: mochi
Howdy Linda!!!

How have you been???

I guess someday I''ll be setting them, especially the large Malaya, than the spess from Dan (that one E/W setting). But I don''t know when...
face3.gif

Hi Mochi, I am fine thank you. Is that an Asian Dumpling in your Avarar??? I forget what they are called, but it reminds me of one. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY. They are filled with sweet and sour pork.
18.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 10:44:16 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 4/19/2009 2:39:05 PM
Author: mochi
Howdy Linda!!!

How have you been???

face3.gif

Hi Mochi, I am fine thank you. Is that an Asian Dumpling in your Avarar??? I forget what they are called, but it reminds me of one. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY. They are filled with sweet and sour pork.
18.gif

Linda,
I think it looks almost like a mochi!
3.gif
No, it''s too rounded...maybe it is a dumpling (bao) after all.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy, love the mochi family photos :) (The avatar looks delicious too!)

One of my favorite things about garnet is how shiny and sparkly they are. I was waiting by the curb for my fiance, glanced down, and my ring was just all aglow. So I snapped two shots with my camera, hehe. Here''s the color-changer at night in it''s golden incarnation.

nightglow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results