shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your 5 ct round center stones or solitaires please.

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock
Hi- I inherited a ring from my beautiful grandmother with a round 5 ct stone that is bezel set in yellow gold with a very thick band and some little squiggles on it. The setting was probably done in the 90s- not antique. I originally thought I would want to reset it immediately but it has grown on me some (especially every time I bang it on something and think- glad that didn't hurt the diamond!) and right now I don't have the time and energy to put into a forever setting (we are buying a house) but I would love to see some ideas for when that time comes.
She was married to a diamond importer/designer, he escaped a Nazi camp in a laundry truck and made his way to North Africa where he got a monkey and a job with DeBeers- what an interesting guy! I also inherited a few other "jems" including a 1.5 OEC that is set as my engagement ring. I tried to post this question a long time ago but for some reason I was kicked off the site- the moderators said it was a glitch but I could never get back on and see the answers so I made a new account (formerly SparkInTheDark). The only friend I showed it to IRL told me it looks like a fake : ( (there is no doubt that it is as real as they come). So I figured this is one place I can share it with no shade : )

_35653.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Show me your 5 ct round center stones or solitaires plea

Any pics from the side?..the stone looks paper thin.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do remember you from before! I am sure the stone is fine, but at that size, you do have room for a recut to make it more ideal cut if you wished.

Here is a thread of over 3 ct stones and there are some 5 ct stones in there. Maybe start from the end (most recent) to see the most current settings and maybe some of the larger stones.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-rings-w-3ct-centers.27384/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-rings-w-3ct-centers.27384/[/URL]

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

There's also a thread just for 5 ct and u around here, but I don't know where to find it.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Loved the story of your grandfather's escape! Someone in your family needs to write his biography. Thank you for sharing the story and your ring. I'm not big on wide shanks but I really do love that one and the bezeled stone. A recut would be a great idea. Please show us the OEC too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It needs to be reset at the least. Let some light into it. Depending on how its cut, I might consider a rdcut, however,those are never a guarantee.

A stone that large will always appear fake to many. Its just so large!

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

Hi DancingFire- I have been without the internet for an inhuman amount of time so I apologize for the late answer BUT I am going to post some pictures I took- at night, in my bathroom, with my phone- so please excuse the camera work. I couldn't line the diamond up with the tape measure I used for perspective. At least you can get an idea of the size. I'm not sure how deep a a diamond with this size table should be, but it doesn't seem paper thin to me- you guys would know better than I though.
What I can tell you is this- if you look at the picture of the inside of the band you can see a small hole under the diamond (for removal maybe?). I used a blunt yarn needle to clean the most disgusting strings of snot like filth out of that hole, an experience which I can only describe as satisfying- I couldn't stop once I started.
My mom said my grandmother worried about getting it cleaned in her final days as she wanted it to be sparkly when I got it- always thinking of others- always. Her motto was to do something for someone else everyday of your life and she walked the walk. Anyhow I got pretty intimate with the ring and I can tell you that the culet is very close to your finger when you are wearing it, I can flick it with my fingernail (which is not much longer than my finger) thru that hole and despite the fairly thick band- it is very close to/maybe dipping into the hole.

thegg.jpg

thegg1.jpg

thegg2.jpg

thegg3.jpg

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

and two more for fun and perspective-

thegg4.jpg

thegg5.jpg

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

HI Ariel- I think it is a great story too!! He wasn't my grandfather, he was husband number 3. I don't remember number two very well but the Jeweler was definitely our favorite. They were married when I was a kid and old enough to go stay the weekend with them in Palm Springs. He had a home office with grey carpet and was always losing melee in the pile so he paid me- I don't know- maybe a nickel a diamond to go thru and find them all at the end of the day. A good use for my "young eyes"! My grandmother fielded more than her share of proposals and married four, almost five times. I think the last proposal was when she was closing in on 90. She was a beautiful soul inside and out, but apparently either not great at picking them or not great at being married to them- can't be certain which one. She brought a smile to the face of every person she encountered, that was her gift.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Its a beauty do not change a thing - unless they could open up the bottom a little let some light in

Would an ultrasonic or a mini power jet get in that hole

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

Niel I agree- I feel like it is being smothered in gold. This ring is heavy in more than one way. Plus I am more of a platinum/white gold person and I personally would love to be able to see the diamond. BUT there is no way I could bring up resetting it with my mom. She looked put out when I told her I was going to take it for a proper cleaning and maintenance and asked her to think about me resizing the ring just slightly to make it more comfortable for me or even make it so I can wear my wedding set and put this on a different finger. She just isn't ready. I'm hoping that after all the crazy this year of moving that I can come up with the time and money to make a plan for a forever setting for this and possibly find a semi precious stone to replace it in this setting- IF the jeweler can remove the diamond without destroying the setting. Or maybe having the head removed and giving my mom the band. Maybe they could even put my grandmother's initials in the space? I don't know.
Am I a horrible person if I reset it? It isn't a vintage setting, it isn't even the first setting my grandmother had. The first one was- wow flashy. It had a thick gold band (same width shank as this one) with multiple rows of large melee eternity style diamonds and the stone in a high, four prong basket. Phew. It was something else. I can only imagine how tired her finger was at the end of the day, she told me the current setting did a much better job of protecting the stone from both bumps and burglars. I must agree that it does fend off a bump!
Any great ideas on how to broach the subject with my mom? The ring was left to me but my mom wore it for a year or so after her mother's death (I was like- if it makes you feel good wear it as long as you want to, it's YOUR mom's ring). So I have only been wearing it 6 months or so. This is going to be a slow process- I don't think my mom realizes that it doesn't really fit in with my jewelry "outfit". I can't say anything even remotely disparaging about the current setting for obvious reasons but I am afraid that whatever I say will be taken that way- I mean how do I explain wanting to change a perfectly good setting? I can't say it isn't stable or that I want to protect it more. The only thing I can come up with is wanting something lighter or less likely to catch on stuff. My mom came to look at a possible house with us and it was great but I would want to paint a few rooms and it was bank owned so the previous owner didn't bother to take care of things when they knew they were losing it and the cabinets were really, really, chipped, and baseboards neglected and they hadn't updated the master bathroom in 15 years so some of the stuff was a bit grubby and could use a cosmetic lift- my mom got all hostile about it like I was the pickiest person ever for saying wow that place was great- I could just paint a couple of the rooms and clean up the baseboards and it would be ready for us to move in- then in a few years when we can afford it we could refinish the cabinets and replace the shower and it would be perfect. In real life when we could afford it I would refinish the cabs and replace the tops in all the bathrooms (the kitchen is redone already). It will boost the value by a lot and I prefer solid surface. I said dozens of things about the house that I loved- the wainscoting, I loved the trim, the lay out was perfect, I can't believe the yard, how cool is it that this and that is so close and on and on but all she could hear was that I wanted to paint over the red, very chipped bedroom wall and let the kids choose their bedroom colors as well as cleaning up the baseboards- I mean isn't that pretty normal stuff when you move in? I'm a grown adult- not a college student, we get to pick the color of our bedrooms- I thought that was one of the few benefits to being a grown up?? (I asked her to really consider whether she thought people that buy used homes really go around looking for ones that are painted in colors they like and she backed off- she just doesn't care about that stuff/ for instance she has some really nice jewelry but I think the sentiment attached to it is more important to her than what it looks like- if it is quality then I don't think she cares what it looks like)
So weird since my parents have never purchased a home that wasn't brand new or built custom for them so it isn't like she doesn't have perfect cabinets and the paint of her choice or that she has some belief about keeping homes their original color or something strange like that- lol. Maybe she is just going thru her own stuff right now but I know I can't broach the subject of a reset now- I'll have to time it and have just the right approach- I don't need her approval and in most cases wouldn't seek it but in this situation I think it is kindest to go at her pace.

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

Hi Sphene- thank you : ) But would opening up the hole really get more light into it since my finger blocks the hole when I am wearing it? I feel like the diamond is getting little to no light. I wish I could see more of it. I am more of a - I want to see the stone, not the setting kind of person.- As I wrote below I don't think I should reset it anytime soon but a bigger hole is in the cards if it would really supply more light. Here are a few settings I like- not necessarily my favorite or the ones I would pick- I have seen several more vintage white gold or platinum bezel settings that I liked and seemed much more "light" and also seemed to be closer to flush with the ring - though I can't see how this could be flush. I really like the work I have seen on.....he is in LA and I have seen so many of his rings on this site but I can't remember his name- oh well. He does a lot of micropave. These pictures aren't at all vintage but I still like that you see diamonds when you look at them rather than a ton of metal- though I guess that isn't an absolute for me since I like some rings with white metal showing, especially some of the beautifully decorated, milgrained, or otherwise type rings I have seen here. I also like really simple rings- I saw one in a thread above that was just a straight up solitaire and it was beautiful. I think maybe she has four double claw prongs on it if that rings a bell for anyone.

uneekhalo.jpg

braid.jpg

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock

That top photo is stunning! I'm sure she would love her precious diamond in a setting that shows off the diamond and maybe even more important...a setting that you LOVE :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree! Absolutely reset that diamond! It wasn't her original setting anyway!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

How upset would your mum actually be if you reset, it given that from what you said she has only loaned it to you to wear.
Maybe you should broach that ? first.

Do you actually own the ring or could she or would she take it back at anytime.

No opening the bottom would not let in more light just make it easier to clean so would brighten the stone.

Also how confident are you the setting wasn't designed to hide a damaged girdle so when unset it may require a re-cut to tidy it up just a thought to consider that is a very enclosed setting to choose and you did say Grandma said it would protect from damage and burglars lol

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

Sphere. Legally it is my ring- my grandmother left it to me. So while my mom sorts of loaned it to me it isn't really hers to loan- I just would never go the route of saying "it's mine so I can do what I want" Kim? When her mom died she wanted to wear it (though she originally claimed that on her death bed grandma asked her to keep it till she was sure my kids wouldn't flush it down the toilet or something- then a few days ago she said grandma was worried in her last days that she hadn't had to cleaned bc hshe wanted it to be sparkly for ME when I got it). Still I don't want to upset my mom which is one of the3 reasons I think a reset is a year or more in the future.
I read the paperwork from the jeweler who did the reset- the stone was in a high four prong setting when grandma was married to the jeweler- the reset happened bc she got remarried (not bc of a chip that I know about anyhow). This reset jeweler just - well this is her style- heavy gold. I read the reset jeweler's paperwork with the approximate size etc and while it makes mention of the one flaw in the stone that my grandmother taught me to look for (to identify the stone and just in general know it is there) but says nothing about any chips or cracks- I would be surprised if my grandmother knew there was issue and didn't tell me about it since she went to the trouble of showing me the flaw (looks like half a piece of pepper in there but you have to squint one eye and stand on one foot basically to see it). Plus wouldn't that jeweler have wanted to make note so she didn't get blamed?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

SparkInThedark1|1451788871|3969888 said:
Sphere. Legally it is my ring- my grandmother left it to me. So while my mom sorts of loaned it to me it isn't really hers to loan- I just would never go the route of saying "it's mine so I can do what I want" Kim? When her mom died she wanted to wear it (though she originally claimed that on her death bed grandma asked her to keep it till she was sure my kids wouldn't flush it down the toilet or something- then a few days ago she said grandma was worried in her last days that she hadn't had to cleaned bc hshe wanted it to be sparkly for ME when I got it). Still I don't want to upset my mom which is one of the3 reasons I think a reset is a year or more in the future.
I read the paperwork from the jeweler who did the reset- the stone was in a high four prong setting when grandma was married to the jeweler- the reset happened bc she got remarried (not bc of a chip that I know about anyhow). This reset jeweler just - well this is her style- heavy gold. I read the reset jeweler's paperwork with the approximate size etc and while it makes mention of the one flaw in the stone that my grandmother taught me to look for (to identify the stone and just in general know it is there) but says nothing about any chips or cracks- I would be surprised if my grandmother knew there was issue and didn't tell me about it since she went to the trouble of showing me the flaw (looks like half a piece of pepper in there but you have to squint one eye and stand on one foot basically to see it). Plus wouldn't that jeweler have wanted to make note so she didn't get blamed?

That makes perfect sense look forward to you returning and sharing the reset - though I love the current setting its is something different to all the samey stuff you get on PS

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sparkin, this is a beautiful ring, stone & story. Personally I don't think your lovely grandmother would have any issue about you resetting the diamond, since she did it herself more than once. She was married to a jeweller & she must have understood how times & fashions change.

Your mother is a different kettle of fish. To her, this ring in its entirety represents her mother & how she remembers her. And that's an emotion you cannot upset until your mother is ready. I inherited an eternity ring from my maternal grandmother, but it's too big & the shank is wire thin underneath. The eternity part where the diamonds are is platinum, the shank is 18ct yellow gold. The only way it can be sized smaller would be to snip off the shank & replace it altogether. My mother gets VERY upset when I mention doing this, as it would mean loosing the original hallmarks & engraving. So it sits in a box. My grandmother died 35 years ago & mum still isn't at home to having the ring "butchered". The emotional attachment is too strong. My mum was an only child who cared for my grandmother in the years before her death & had to prise the never ever removed set of rings from her finger upon her death. It's an emotion I've learned to respect & back away from.

I would suggest you popped the ring to your jeweller for a thorough clean & resize. Neither of those will do any harm & I suspect your mum wouldn't notice? Then wear it & enjoy it. Your mum will get used to seeing it on you that way, and perhaps mentally come around to it now being a part of your story & your future.

I loved hearing about collecting diamonds from the carpet! That had me giggling! I do look forward to reading your reset on here down the line, when the time is right for all :wavey:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

My mom has had similar issues about her mother's jewelry, and my dad has had similar issues about his father's. My mom came around and got to the point where she was ok enough with me making changes that she didn't forbid them anymore, and I also got to a point where I was ok enough with doing something with these pieces that was not her preference. There was a pear shaped diamond that I really was not fond of. My mom was ok with the idea of a recut, but the diamond was so shallow that a recut would have decimated the weight/size of the stone. So she begrudgingly let me trade it in toward a project I was really excited about. I think she still feels less than wonderful about it when she gives it too much thought, but she knows I love the resultant piece, and she is happy to have had something to do with it. Diamonds are assets, and I don't like the idea that we are stuck with the the choices that others made. I like the idea that we can use them toward things we choose.

My paternal grandfather's star sapphire sits in a box in a man's ring, because my father is attached to the idea of it. Someday I'll do whatever I want with it.

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

I think all of you are right- my mother was a woman of ever changing style and would get it but as mentioned this is very sentimental to my mother. I'm totally wearing it now but it is reshaping the fat on my finger and it means that I can't wear my wedding set (since they both fit on the same finger). I think resizing it would be really simple. I wonder if the poster above with the eternity ring could have the shank clipped off and incorporated into a plain band so the engravings wouldn't be lost for her mom to wear. I am still hopeful there will be some way to repurpose this setting. I also though of making a craft project "The Grandmother Ring" with spaces for each generation to make an entry - a picture of the grandmother who gave it and the granddaughter receiving it- pictures of the ring as it looks when receiving and when given t the next generation and given- and the story of the ring in her lifetime. My mom is super into ancestory etc so I think she would love this.

SparkInThedark1

Rough_Rock

I meant my GRAND mother was a wo amen of changing styles- she was quite the glamour girl.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would either have an inexpensive colored gemstone cut to fit the yellow gold setting or get a diamond simulant put in it for your mother. Then you get the diamond recut and reset and really enjoy it and your mother can enjoy the yellow gold ring that has such sentimental value for her.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the story of your Grandfather and Grandmother. I think you should hold on to it for a while until your Mom
doesnt think about it much anymore then go for the reset. Honestly, I would think anybody that has pasted a stone on would
want you to wear it and enjoy it. If that takes putting it in a different setting that is more to your taste then so be (but that's
just my opinion.)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I guess people are sentimental and grieve differently. I love the story of your grandmother and how she showed kindness everyday.

My grandmother passed away five years ago. Sadly, she only had a couple of rings (neither were expensive) and my cousin got both of those. She left me her bedroom and dining room furniture though. She got the dining room furniture when she married my granddad from a couple that was retiring. My grandparents were married 62 years. I think the furniture may be close to 100 years old which is cool. The thing is, the chairs are really falling apart and the table isn't far behind it. I was always afraid that someone would sit in a chair and it would collapse underneath them. So I finally took the table apart and put it in a closet and put the chairs in the attic. I kept the buffet and it looks pretty fabulous with my new dining set. The first year my dad came to Thanksgiving and saw the new table and chairs, I could see the panic in his eyes. He got very upset at the idea of me getting rid of grandmas furniture and he still asks about it. He's a laid back guy so it's unusual for him to be like this. So I've kept it and I don't know what to do with it. The bedroom furniture is way cool art deco so it's in the guest room so it's not a problem.

Long story short - I think your mom and my dad haven't let go yet. It's not so much the ring or the furniture as the memories and what they represent.

I think your grandmother would want you to re-set the ring and enjoy it. Hopefully your mother will eventually accept the idea. Maybe time will make it easier for her?

Anyway, no pics of a 5 ct from me but I hope you find a way to enjoy yours.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Sphene|1451040737|3966068 said:
Its a beauty do not change a thing - unless they could open up the bottom a little let some light in

Would an ultrasonic or a mini power jet get in that hole

+1

rimjaja

Rough_Rock

Here is another suggestion : have your jeweler find a nice gemstone of comparable size and have it set into the ring. Gift that to your mom and put the diamond into a setting of your choice

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results